• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Astral Dog

So I beat Bayonetta 2. Awesome game and awesome character. But man was the story confusing. I have a lot of questions:

1. Who's more powerful? Aesir or Jubileus? Jubileus is known as The Creator and the one the angels worship so I assume she's all powerful. But Aesir's the God of Chaos and the original creator of The Eyes of the World, which were needed to resurrect Jubileus. That makes me think he's more powerful considering he created something that powerful.
2. How did Balder and Bayonetta even become the Eyes of the World. How was that decided?
3. After Balder was corrupted by Loptr, did he start the Witch Hunts after all?
4. Why did Loptr need to kill Rosa?
5. Why did the demons of Inferno suddenly turn against Bayonetta? Why was Madama Butterfly the only one to remain on her side?
6. Why are angels ALWAYS after Bayonetta? Even when she beats Balder and Aesir, they're still after her. What gives? Is it just because she's an Umbra Witch? Is there ever an end to them?
7. Why was it that angels AND demons were working with Aesir at the end of the game at Fimbulventr? Were they following Aesir's orders? Why listen to him and not their own respective leaders?
Ok i will try too :p
1.I would asume Aesir is the most powerful, the angels needed the Eyes of the World to have any real power over the other realities. the only God that May be more powerful is Omne, but we dont know much about her and she only defeated him when he lost the Eyes.
2.Its implied the Eyes are inherited by skill and birthright, Rosa said Cereza was going to have both eyes, if she is killed, then another can take them.
3.The witch hunts were already started, he just finish them and kills both Witches and Sages.
4.Part of his convulted plan to have the Eyes , also, maybe Rosa had the Left Eye before Bayonetta, as he says "the witch and the sage are still alive, i want what they have" in the past, so he wanted to kill both. That also was a reason to manipulate Balder into killing Loki and Bayonetta.
5. The lack of the right Eye made some of the demos unstable, they now had more power and some rebelled, Alraune only wanted more souls, Madama Butterfly, well she is more like a gameplay mechanic than a character :p, but i would say as she is the owner of Bayonettas soul, she doesnt want other demons to have her, much less Alraune, and what the other poster said of her description, not all demons rebelled.
6.First because they wanted the Left Eye,i would say revenge plays a bit too, after she kills Jubileus,they attack her for protecting Loki,after the Eyes are erased,well, she allies herself with demons and thats bad for them,its HER job to kill angels, after all, but for more reasons only a Bayonetta 3 will do.
7.This is a bit tricky, Demons are easier to manipulate as they follow power, and Aesir got some of them on his side,Loptr made some deal with Angels, its not made clear what, but as they need the power of the Eyes of the World, maybe he promised to bring back Jubileus under his control, or maybe they just followed him as Jubileus was already dead, as they worship the Eyes too.

NEO0MJ

Grinding dem halos. Hope there is a way to unlock things without the trophies like in the first one. Not sure I'll be able to get all golds on third climax.

What the reward for getting all gold? In fact, what are the unlockables? I have no idea how to unlock stuff.

correojon

What the reward for getting all gold? In fact, what are the unlockables? I have no idea how to unlock stuff.

You will unlock the Bracelet of Time, which allows you to trigger Witch Time just by pressing L, but it disables Umbran Climax and you won´t get WT from dodges.

There are a lot of unlockables: weapons, characters (2 for story mode and Tag Climax and 2 more only for TC), costumes, accessories with various effects, extra levels for both story mode and TC...Some of them you will unlock by just playing the game in story mode, while others require certain specific actions, like completing the game in a certain difficulty, getting gold on all chapters, beating a special enemy in TC...For the costumes and accessories you first have to buy them from Rodin´s once you have unlocked them and then equip them for them to have any effect.

I am having a blast with the Lost Chapters, I still haven´t beaten V but am replaying chapters I to IV to beat my previous scores, I already got Platinum (not Pure) on chapters I & II and Gold on III & IV using Rakshasha on hands and LIB on feet (Kafka and Alraune on set 2 but I only use this for Verses with small flying enemies). It´s amazing how much better you get at this game, I´m constantly upping my scores. Yesterday I managed to PP the verse against the Lumen Sage in Chapter II, he couldn´t touch me! :D

Any tips for the "kill all enemies in Jetfigher Assault" bewitchment? That and Rodin are the only 2 I have left for the IC Bracelet.

Monocle

You will unlock the Bracelet of Time, which allows you to trigger Witch Time just by pressing L, but it disables Umbran Climax and you won´t get WT from dodges.

There are a lot of unlockables: weapons, characters (2 for story mode and Tag Climax and 2 more only for TC), costumes, accessories with various effects, extra levels for both story mode and TC...Some of them you will unlock by just playing the game in story mode, while others require certain specific actions, like completing the game in a certain difficulty, getting gold on all chapters, beating a special enemy in TC...For the costumes and accessories you first have to buy them from Rodin´s once you have unlocked them and then equip them for them to have any effect.

I am having a blast with the Lost Chapters, I still haven´t beaten V but am replaying chapters I to IV to beat my previous scores, I already got Platinum (not Pure) on chapters I & II and Gold on III & IV using Rakshasha on hands and LIB on feet (Kafka and Alraune on set 2 but I only use this for Verses with small flying enemies). It´s amazing how much better you get at this game, I´m constantly upping my scores. Yesterday I managed to PP the verse against the Lumen Sage in Chapter II, he couldn´t touch me! :D

Any tips for the "kill all enemies in Jetfigher Assault" bewitchment? That and Rodin are the only 2 I have left for the IC Bracelet.
- Don't use the Nintendo costume easter egg. Your regular attacks kill faster.

- Use charged slashes to take out groups of enemies that don't die quickly to your weak ranged attack.

- Equip Eternal Testimony, if you have it, for the free magic orbs.

- Jetfighter Assault has checkpoints near the beginning and end of boss battles. If you kill all the enemies in a segment, you can quit to the title screen then continue as many times as you need to clear the next segment.

- Feel free to cheese this dumb challenge with purple lollipops for unlimited Umbran Climax. The "kill all enemies" requirement sucks the fun out of an otherwise enjoyable minigame.

Now that I think about it, I didn't use purple lollipops when I tried and failed to complete the challenge with the Nintendo easter egg. Could work, since Umbran Climax powers up your shots so much. The slash attack is great though, especially during UC.

NEO0MJ

I see. I already beat the main game in 3rd climax, most chapters with gold and a few silvers. Do the witch trials count or just the main story chapters? I want to buy the platinum ticket so I'll need the bracelet of time to farm halos more efficiently.

correojon

- Use charged slashes to take out groups of enemies that don't die quickly to your weak ranged attack.

- Equip Eternal Testimony, if you have it, for the free magic orbs.

- Feel free to cheese this dumb challenge with purple lollipops for unlimited Umbran Climax. The "kill all enemies" requirement sucks the fun out of an otherwise enjoyable minigame.

Now that I think about it, I didn't use purple lollipops when I tried and failed to complete the challenge with the Nintendo easter egg. Could work, since Umbran Climax powers up your shots so much. The slash attack is great though, especially the UC version.

I was thinking of using the Time Bracelet with tons of purple lollipops, but maybe it´ll be easier with UC like you say. I usually do much better with the usual setup than with the Nintendo easter egg, so I´ll try it your way, thanks!

Monocle

I was thinking of using the Time Bracelet with tons of purple lollipops, but maybe it´ll be easier with UC like you say. I usually do much better with the usual setup than with the Nintendo easter egg, so I´ll try it your way, thanks!
I didn't even think of using the Bracelet of Time. Sounds like a valid alternative to my strategy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I swear, I looked up the Witch Heart video guides but am still missing 2 more.

Strange, I thought the laser blasts kill everything faster, especially bosses.

Mat-triX

Just beat the game,

I get why some people where disapointed by the ending incomparison to the original Bayonetta, since the death of the final boss is almost the exact same but on a much smaller scale. I wouldn't say i'm disapointed that it's not a grand as the first, but i am dissapointed that it follows alot of the same beats, right down to guiding the final boss in the air to their death. It should have been it's own thing instead of a send up to the original (esspecaily since it didn't surpass the orignal's "Guide God through space into the Sun").
Overall, I loved it. It did enough different to seperate itself from the first, while giving enough callbacks to make it all feel connected. It got rid of all the neagtives I had with the original, and while there was a shooting section, it was both shorter and better made (your ship doesn't obscure the enemys, and dodging doesn't spin the screen).

Also, alot of people where talking about how the game performs worse than Bayo 1 (WiiU version) yet I didnt experence anything nearly as bad as "Route 666" or "The Broken Sky" in Bayo 2. Maybe some frame drops here and there, but never significant slowdown like in Bayo 1's later stages.

mrmickfran

I never felt the need to use dodge offset... until Witch Trial V since some bosses feel the need to be invincible to wicked weaves otherwise.

Time to start practicing.

Also, alot of people where talking about how the game performs worse than Bayo 1 (WiiU version) yet I didnt experence anything nearly as bad as "Route 666" or "The Broken Sky" in Bayo 2. Maybe some frame drops here and there, but never significant slowdown like in Bayo 1's later stages.

Yeah, I noticed this too. Wii U version of Bayo 1's framerate tanked in quite a few places for me (the final boss in particular tanked numerous times throughout the fight) while Bayo 2 usually only had minor drops. Not sure why people think Bayo 1 has better performance.

Mat-triX

Thinking back on the game after beating it, two things are bugging me:

#1:
The Masked Lumen fight scene in the E3 2013 trailer (Where Bayo says "No one said you could touch") does not happen in the story, at all. Was that cut? was it only made to advertise the game? It wasn't CG but instead was using ingame assests so...I don't know. Least it shows up as a demo video on the title screen. It's dissapointing it's not in the game playable.

#2:
"Records of Time - The End" (the 'Verse' you play before the Prologue) does not happen at any point of the story either. I remember playing that when the game starts, thinking it was a flash-foward, than Bayo meets the Masked Lumen FOR THE FIRST TIME (saying "A lumen sage? Cheeky...no one bothered telling me any of your kind survived"). Where does this sequence take place?! in the past? in the future? Rosa's there, yet so is Balder as the Masked Lumen, with his unbroken mask...which THAN gets broken in the same cutscene. is this nothing? is it magic?! WHAT IS MY LIFE!?!?

Still an amazing game though...

Been meaning to make a .gif of this, but I noticed that whenever Bayonetta hides Loki close to her chest - which is like what, all of 5 minutes in the entire game? - she gains a little passenger when in animal forms until they're seperated again. I thought it was a cute little detail and Loki's only redeeming factor.

goxyzx.gif

Nice detail!

Yeah, I noticed this too. Wii U version of Bayo 1's framerate tanked in quite a few places for me (the final boss in particular tanked numerous times throughout the fight) while Bayo 2 usually only had minor drops. Not sure why people think Bayo 1 has better performance.

That's too bad that the frame rate took a hit in some boss battles in Bayo 1, Bayonetta 2 did drop some frames but never in boss battles....it's always so smooth and......

dKYxUqR.gif

......"so close"

_Clash_

Just popping in, completed Bayonetta 2, some fun 12 hrs.

The increased visual flair stood out. Much more enjoyable presentation compared to 1.

The combination of button inputs, animation, visual flair with witch time. Well now, that was masterful.

Didnt out stay its welcome and the pacing really bombastic. Big tick and will probably get me to replay on 3d climax.

Was landing gold trophies for some chapters. Played with effort, looking for the challenges etc but sticking to basic gameplay, so will play with some items on 3d climax after some halo farming.

Thought the ending left it open to a sequel.

The lore and storyline in this series is underrated. a tick.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Aw, but man....but it's so cool, and you didn't have to mention what it was representing. Anyone else object?

Eh, you only see that you're fighting against the Masked Lumen in that image, which I wouldn't really call a spoiler, so I'd assume it to be fine. But then again I'm spoiler-proof because I'm done with the story.

And yeah that fight is pretty baller.

Monocle

Strange, I thought the laser blasts kill everything faster, especially bosses.
Well, maybe, but I found it impossible to get a 100% kill rate against the first few waves of enemies when I used the lasers. 1 or 2 little dudes always seemed to slip by. And
my bombs
kept missing the faster guys. Very annoying.

I prefer the slash attack because it has a wide hitbox and easily connects with close enemies. You can often catch them as they try to charge past you.

Raife

Finally found the time to play this game and I can't wait to start it tonight. I haven't read too much of the thread other than the OP, so I'm not sure if I missed it, but what controller are people finding the most comfortable to use while playing the game?

Mogwai

Finally found the time to play this game and I can't wait to start it tonight. I haven't read too much of the thread other than the OP, so I'm not sure if I missed it, but what controller are people finding the most comfortable to use while playing the game?
Wii U Pro Controller.

Always.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Alright question, since I'm now unlocking everything, costumes, etc in Bayo 1. I thought at some point you could unlock the alternate Scarborough Fair Handguns Bayonetta uses in the flashback cutscenes? Is this still true, and if so, how?

Another thing that ticked me off while going back through Bayo 1 fooling around was in Bayo 1 Samus Suit has no Morph Ball/Screw Attack, or Visor control... That sucks.

Another thing that ticked me off while going back through Bayo 1 fooling around was in Bayo 1 Samus Suit has no Morph Ball/Screw Attack, or Visor control... That sucks.

Huh. Regarding the visor it´s the exact opposite for me: I can toggle it in Bayo1 (holding d-pad down) but not 2. How are you doing it?

Adaren

#2:
"Records of Time - The End" (the 'Verse' you play before the Prologue) does not happen at any point of the story either. I remember playing that when the game starts, thinking it was a flash-foward, than Bayo meets the Masked Lumen FOR THE FIRST TIME (saying "A lumen sage? Cheeky...no one bothered telling me any of your kind survived"). Where does this sequence take place?! in the past? in the future? Rosa's there, yet so is Balder as the Masked Lumen, with his unbroken mask...which THAN gets broken in the same cutscene. is this nothing? is it magic?! WHAT IS MY LIFE!?!?

I would also love an answer/speculation for this!

If Balder's fighting Bayonetta but Rosa's alive, then Balder is probably evil/corrupted already from the ending...not really sure what that means though.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Huh. Regarding the visor it´s the exact opposite for me: I can toggle it in Bayo1 (holding d-pad down) but not 2. How are you doing it?

Same, doesn't seem to have any effect (D-Pad down), the taunt is LB in Bayo 1 and Hard lock is RB (wish so bad they made it "hold" or "toggle" like in the Zelda game, I hate holding that damn RB while trying to dodge at the same time...

But anyway, any word on the Flashback-style Gun's and how you get them?

Unit24

#2:

I'm pretty sure that sequence is non-canon. It probably serves the same purpose of its Bayo 1 counterpart: to give the player an idea of what to expect from the rest of the game. They just didn't have any backstory to work with this time.

Adaren

I'm pretty sure that sequence is non-canon. It probably serves the same purpose of its Bayo 1 counterpart: to give the player an idea of what to expect from the rest of the game. They just didn't have any backstory to work with this time.

I'd find that disappointing given the Bayonetta 1 opening. Bayo1 frequently draws subtle connections between its plot points, and the opening is one of the coolest parts in the grand scheme of the story.

I'm afraid this might be similar to what happened with Dark Souls II: I'm searching for subtle answers because the prequel had them, but this game's story may not have been crafted with the same attention-to-detail or care. :|

Jarmel

Banned
Is Bayonetta understocked everywhere? Have to go like two hours out to find a Best Buy that even carries the game. There isn't a ToysRUs that has the game unless I go into NYC proper.

Is Bayonetta understocked everywhere? Have to go like two hours out to find a Best Buy that even carries the game. There isn't a ToysRUs that has the game unless I go into NYC proper.

Limited copies printed, the game was a risk on Wii U so now after the success it has had I would imagine they will restock the game for the holidays.

Maybe download it then? If you don't have a HDD attached to your Wii U I would say it's worth driving the 2 hours to get it, also comes with part 1 so it's a win.

I would also love an answer/speculation for this!

If Balder's fighting Bayonetta but Rosa's alive, then Balder is probably evil/corrupted already from the ending...not really sure what that means though.

That bothered me too. I'm assuming it's like Gurren Lagann's first episode teaser-flash forward, in that it doesn't actually happen as portrayed and they hope you've forgotten by that point in the story :p

Same, doesn't seem to have any effect (D-Pad down), the taunt is LB in Bayo 1 and Hard lock is RB (wish so bad they made it "hold" or "toggle" like in the Zelda game, I hate holding that damn RB while trying to dodge at the same time...

But anyway, any word on the Flashback-style Gun's and how you get them?

Holding d-pad down does toggle the visor for me, at least in cutscenes (in Bayo1), but it doesn't seem to always work on 2.

No clue about the guns, sorry. Don't seem to appear in any of the FAQs, at least for the original version.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Damn the U pro controller is uncomfortable,especially the triggers,for Bayonetta 1 and 2

I find it very comfortable, to be honest. But then again, I have tiny hands fit for Japanese peripherals. Triggers feel a bit weird at first but I've gotten used to them and realized that I kind of miss clicky shoulder buttons on Playstation or Xbox controllers. The analogue triggers are only really good for racing games. And the baller sword revving from DMC4.

Finalow

Rodin is for the hardcore AKA. Those who don't need Witchtime.
it's not even about witchtime, I can't do any decent combo with him (any video I might look at?), he's really really slow and umbran climax is not as good as the others or not even remotely close to being as effective as umbran armor. I can understand "slower but stronger" but he doesn't seem that much stronger at all.

Monocle

tag climax, am I doing it wrong or Rodin just sucks.
it's not even about witchtime, I can't do any decent combo with him (any video I might look at?), he's really really slow and umbran climax is not as good as the others or not even remotely close to being as effective as umbran armor. I can understand "slower but stronger" but he doesn't seem that much stronger at all.
Moves (Once you know the inputs, it might help to fight against Rodin to see how the AI strings moves together.)

Combo example (Skip to 3:41 if the link doesn't skip for you. Or don't, the video's great.)

ArynCrinn

Banned
You need to buy the Bayonetta 1 costume. When you do this the old weapons are unlocked (guns, sword).

You talking about Bayo 1 or Bayo 2? Cause I'm talking Bayo 1... :p

...I am currently using the Daisy costume, cause, why not. I'll switch to the default costume and see what happens. If I remember correctly starting a game on Normal as default Bayo costume (Bayo 1) it unlocked in the Weapons section fairly early into the game...I'm past Temperance on Infinite Endless Climax!

So either I'm confused or I missed them somehow...

Edit: Wonder if I can still execute my Pure Platinum on Rodin using the Sai Fang+Bracelet of Time+Climax Bracelet on Infinite Endless Climax... Even the Alfheims are getting to be a real bitch a times.

Jigolo

Chapter 14 on Bayo 2 and this shit is awesome. I was hoping not to see Grace & Glory back because those fuckers were a pain in the ass in the first game. But alas, I encountered them in Chapter 12 I think it was but Witch Time actually activates against them in Bayo 2. Jeezzz I swear it was broken in Bayo 1 against them.

Anyway Bayo 2 is so much easier than Bayo 1 (2nd climax vs. Normal). In Bayo 1 I would die in every chapter at least once and sometimes up to 4-5 times and I would also have to conjure the weed to heal me a few times per chapter plus the yellow. In this game I've not died once and have only used 1 item in the whole game so far.

Enemies also drop health more often and those portal challenges are actually possible to complete (in bayo 1 I couldn't beat any I found :s). But I like it so far more than Bayo 1 but it is close.

Top Bottom