• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

jNdLVlCFbefpo.jpg

Now get at me with those NNIDs so we can climax together. NNID: viewtifuljc, same as GAF handle

Majestad

Banned
The art design in the Bayonetta games is fucking amazing. Every time they introduce a new enemy (even basic grunts) I'm in awe.

DukeBobby

Just ordered this.

I bought the Solus edition (European version that doesn't include the first game) because I can always play through my 360 copy of the original.

Looking forward to it.

Just finished the game at normal difficulty.
While it wasn't a bad game I am a little disappointed.
The game was too focused on epic set pieces and boss battles for me.
I miss fighting regular enemies as the ground pillar of the game with more epic moments and bosses to break it up here and there like in the first game.

It feels like it's been influenced by "the modern" era of game design, you even have ai partners and the game even has forced "walk slowly while hearing dialogue" sequences (though only a few) like in Gears.
You're even stuck with an ai partner when you
fight the end boss"
So overall I have to say I prefer the first game.

This in a nutshell is my problem with Bayo 2. However, the problem is mitigated when you play Bayo 1 first, Sonic 3 and Knuckles style. They perfectly compliment each other.

Its still a GotG contender, but as the dust settles, Bayo 1 still holds the crown.

Ok GAF, I've never really played a "character action" game like the first Bayonetta or any of the DMC games. I did play through the first God of War game and liked that. But when I tried the demo for Bayonetta 2 I wasn't sure if it's for me. Maybe because I dont really know how to play the game yet?

The reviews on this look great and everyone seems to love it. Bayonetta 1 being included looks awesome... And my OCD tells me I need every major Wii U release.

So, do I jump in or is this just for people really into this type of game? I just don't want to drop $60 on a game I might not get into. It's either this or Evil Within to get my RE 4 fix.

Any advice?

I tried to convince myself that I should play Bayo1 first, but I failed. The difference in visuals is just to jarring. I blame the demo, I have a 360 and have had one since release, but after seeing commercials for 1 I never picked it up. I picked up Vanquish, but didn't finish it. But I crave Bayonetta 2, gameplay and visuals.

Famassu

Just ordered this.

I bought the Solus edition (European version that doesn't include the first game) because I can always play through my 360 copy of the original.

Looking forward to it.
You should've just paid a little more to get the definitive version. The 360 version has some extremely noticeable and disgusting screen tear that is completely missing from the Wii U version, the Wii U version runs smoother and it offers some stuff like the Nintendo costumes. The Bayonetta 2 + 1 bundle would've just cost you ~10£ more.

denshuu

I need a Pro Tip. Been at this for like an hour.

My current Muspelheim mission to beat is one where i have to kill all of the enemies with a single combo. But the last enemy is one of the centaurs with a shield. The only way to get behind him is to Witch Time his attack, but if I wait for him to attack then I lose my combo. I can also Umbran Climax, but a single Umbran Climax combo won't kill him. And if I relaunch him before he gets up after the Umbran Climax combo, he literally just turns to face me in mid-air and blocks.

How do I kill this dude without breaking combo?

Squishy3

My current Muspelheim mission to beat is one where i have to kill all of the enemies with a single combo. But the last enemy is one of the centaurs with a shield. The only way to get behind him is to Witch Time his attack, but if I wait for him to attack then I lose my combo. I can also Umbran Climax, but a single Umbran Climax combo won't kill him. And if I relaunch him before he gets up after the Umbran Climax combo, he literally just turns to face me in mid-air and blocks.

Taunting will pause your combo meter for a bit.

Subaru

You can taunt and shot him with Y.

Is there any tip to platinum? I mean it:

1) Do I have to play every verse?
2) Is there any skill/item/tactics?

You don't have to get every verse, but it helps. Here's how the scoring system works:

Pure Platinums: 5
Platinums: 4
Gold: 3
Silver: 2
Bronze: 1
Stone/skipped verse: 0

Say you got 3 verses like the prologue, get two platinums and one gold. That's 4 + 4 + 3 = 11. Divide by the number of possible verses, 11/3 = 3.67, that rounds up to a Platinum for the chapter.

As you can see, its possible to get Platinums by skipping verses, but its highly beneficial that you don't. Even getting a silver will net you two points, where skipping gives you nothing. Its like when your teacher says to turn in your half-assed homework anyway, "better than a zero".

As for items I used, Set A I had Sharuba(unlocked after beating the game and buying OG Bayonetta outfit) with dual swords on feet for all sword action, and Set B was dual Chainsaws on hands, whips on feet. Chainsaws are the real damage dealers, they eat up bosses and heavy enemies, especially when you hold the button down for each swing. For lighter enemies, this might kill them too fast, but for bosses? FUGETABOUIT! Spam the chainsaws, you'll get platinum combos like crazy.

When they're far away, you have a few options when your chainsaw doesn't reach. You can use Umbran Spear to teleport instantly to their location, only cause one magic ball. You can use the Panther mode to move quickly across distances. You can always use the pistol to fill in gaps in your combo meter so it doesn't drop. Also, in between enemies spawning, you can hold the taunt button down. As long as the taunt is going, the combo meter "drop rate"(about 3 seconds) will stop momentarily. Just make sure to cancel the dodge with a gunshot or whatever before the enemy sees it, Enraged Enemies are NOT something you wanna fuck with, lol.

When surrounded by lesser enemies, like the little flying fuckers, the whip is great for crowd control. The best combo, when whips are on feet, is KKK-pause-K, this will do a wide-ranging horizontal Wicked Weave that sucks up just about everybody in the area and can get you a lot of points very quickly. You can also use the normal KKKK combo for a vertical Wicked Weave if you're focusing on one person at a distance the chainsaws can't reach immediately.

Umbran Climax is really fuckin' powerful. You can hold everybody in place with them, especially with the chainsaws. Dodge, abuse witch time, and as soon as you come out of witch time hit the Umbran Climax for maximum hitstun time. Hold the chainsaws in-between each hit for maximum damage. Chainsaws don't have Wicked Weaves, but the fourth hit/finisher will send them flying a bit so prepare to panther/umbran spear back to their position. You can also turn off Umbran Climax in the middle of its duration, say when you only have one enemy left and you're not worried about getting hit, or you put a boss in a traditional dizzy state and you don't wont to waste it. You can build up magic meter in earlier encounters, plan ahead a bit, then use it for troublesome areas. You can max the magic out to 3 bars, so you could potentially be heading into boss encounters with 3 full Umbran Climaxes, makes encounters a lot more managable.

Finally, items. Controversial change in that they allow you to use items now, the only punishment is you don't get the +5000 "No Items' bonus at the end of the chapter, oh noes. Now personally, I swore off from using them, but I can see how they could help. Red might fuck you up score wise on anything that isn't bosses, and green won't make your damage for the verse go back down. However, keeping in mind how useful Umbran Climax is, having a purple that can fill it right back up? Very powerful tool. And the yellow stops damage from happening entirely, so there's that, too.

DukeBobby

You should've just paid a little more to get the definitive version. The 360 version has some extremely noticeable and disgusting screen tear that is completely missing from the Wii U version, the Wii U version runs smoother and it offers some stuff like the Nintendo costumes. The Bayonetta 2 + 1 bundle would've just cost you ~10£ more.

Oh well.

I probably wouldn't get around to playing the original for ages anyway.

Just working through my second playthrough now, one thing I've noticed is that Bayo 2 seems a LOT faster than Bayo 1. Like Infintie Climax fast at points.

silva1991

so what is the equivalent of kilgore glitch in this game?

I wanna fight the secret boss but I don't know how to get more than 10 millions of halos fast

Cuphead

Banned
Halfway through the game.

It's a blast! Maybe I've gotten better at these types of games but I'm having a much easier time beating the bosses in this compared to Bayo 1.

Not complaining though it's still fun as hell!

I'm a massive fan of Platinum Games but my god is the presentation and story embarassing. I'm surprised more people aren't up in arms over the ridiculous stereotypes and sexism present here. Yes, it's intentionally cheesy, but it's done in a way that only makes things more offensive. Are people just holding this game to a different standard since it wasn't developed in the West? I don't see how this is getting a pass when so many tamer games aren't.

:|

Andrew.

Banned
One thing that's bugging me. It's missing a Verse. Are they all available from the get go in each stage or do some only appear on harder difficulties or replays? I missed two in chap 4 and it's bothering the shit out of me cause I felt for sure I searched everywhere.

Dr Dogg

Those Chapter IV and VII Bosses! Giggling like a school kid would about sum up how I was feeling. PlatinumGames do boss encounters like no one else.

Raxus

Taunting, dodge, activate witch time.

Thought as much. I was wondering if there was a weapon later on that is more effective at bashing shields.

I like the pistols a little too much. I need to find when is the best time to use the other weapons.

One thing that's bugging me. It's missing a Verse. Are they all available from the get go in each stage or do some only appear on harder difficulties or replays? I missed two in chap 4 and it's bothering the shit out of me cause I felt for sure I searched everywhere.

All available from the get go but to unlock them usually requires coaxing in some instances. For example, in Chapter 5
You will encounter 2 lovers on a bench. Destroy the bench and they run away prompting angels to appear.

I can't decide if I want to play Bayonetta 1 before 2 when I get the game. I've already beaten Bayonetta 1 last year, but I don't really remember too much of the story besides it being completely whacky. My only worry is I don't want to get burned out on the gameplay/combat system before diving into Bayonetta 2. I know some people would say it's impossible to get tired of the combat because it's so fun, but I still feel like it could happen with me.

Andrew.

Banned
I can't decide if I want to play Bayonetta 1 before 2 when I get the game. I've already beaten Bayonetta 1 last year, but I don't really remember too much of the story besides it being completely whacky. My only worry is I don't want to get burned out on the gameplay/combat system before diving into Bayonetta 2. I know some people would say it's impossible to get tired of the combat because it's so fun, but I still feel like it could happen with me.

Then just play 2

I'm a massive fan of Platinum Games but my god is the presentation and story embarassing. I'm surprised more people aren't up in arms over the ridiculous stereotypes and sexism present here. Yes, it's intentionally cheesy, but it's done in a way that only makes things more offensive. Are people just holding this game to a different standard since it wasn't developed in the West? I don't see how this is getting a pass when so many tamer games aren't.

Well it got many 10/10's so all the western reviewers don't have a problem with it.

I think I woke up my neighbors last night screaming when that fucking
Golem
juggled me 8 times in a row.

I honestly can't believe how good these end game enemies are. Most of them would be final bosses in lesser action games *bows*

silva1991

I think I woke up my neighbors last night screaming when that fucking
Golem
juggled me 8 times in a row.

I honestly can't believe how good these end game enemies are. Most of them would be final bosses in lesser action games *bows*

yeah those
Golems
are the definition of asshols

I recommend you to use pully's butterfly accessory against them

I should be able to walk into a fucking store and buy a fucking product. That's what stores are fucking for

Can you really blame stores for not stocking tons of copies of a niche Wii U game, especially after W101?

I hope it doesn't lead to a lot of lost sales for the game, I'd love for Bayonetta 2 to do well enough to greenlight another sequel.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
One last chance. There's a creepy Kmart no one likes to visit but they had the only physical copy of Bravely Default on launch day as well. Fingers crossed

yeah those
Golems
are the definition of asshols

I recommend you to use pully's butterfly accessory against them

I actually had enough halos to buy that but wasted them on costumes before realizing needed to buy the mirror accessory first -_-

Have any halo farming glitches been found yet? My heart sank when I saw how many halos the first unlockable character costs.

jorgejjvr

It's there an easier way to collect halos in bayo 1? I find that everything that Rodin sells too be too expensive lol. I'm also noticing witch time is harder to execute here, and there's some quick time events when they want you to press Y at an exact moment, it's unforgivable lol, died way too much because of that

Squishy3

I actually had enough halos to buy that but wasted them on costumes before realizing needed to buy the mirror accessory first -_-

Have any halo farming glitches been found yet? My heart sank when I saw how many halos the first unlockable character costs.
There's that item that promises bonus halos though I haven't used it yet so I don't know how it works, and then there's an accessory that makes you gain more items and halos when defeating enemies with torture attacks. Probably best bets for farming.

kick51

Banned
*gets back from gamestop with wiiu and bayo2*

well, i sure didn't hold out long

I should be able to walk into a fucking store and buy a fucking product. That's what stores are fucking for

shoulda preordered, POWER TO THE PLAYERS BRAH

they had one copy left at mine and still gave me a "shoulda preordered" shaming

There's that item that promises bonus halos though I haven't used it yet so I don't know how it works, and then there's an accessory that makes you gain more items and halos when defeating enemies with torture attacks. Probably best bets for farming.
Oh, I keep forgetting that I have those. I need to replay an earlier chapter where there's a ton of enemies in one place and try that out.

There were some awesome farming areas in Bayo1 so I'm sure someone will find one of them soon... or maybe Platinum are just sadistic bastards :(
shoulda preordered, POWER TO THE PLAYERS BRAH

they had one copy left at mine and still gave me a "shoulda preordered" shaming
That crap is what lost Gamestop my business permanently years ago. There was some huge 3rd party game out (I can't remember which) and I want to my local Gamestop to pick up a copy and the dude behind the counter tells me that they only had copies for preorders. I look behind him and there's literally hundreds of copies sitting on the shelves and floors behind the counter. After a short exchange of me telling him that there's no way all of those copies of the game are preorders and him insisting that he couldn't sell me one if I didn't preorder I walked across the street to BestBuy, bought a copy of the game, walked back to Gamestop and slammed it against the window while giving dude the finger. Never shopping there again.

Singho

The glorious package arrived yesterday!!

atoynPCl.jpg

Put in a few hours, replayed first 3 chapters on 3rd Climax...too much hype and awsum.

When I got to the 4th chapter, boss fight at the end which had those cherubs archers and the centaur with the arm blades wrecked my shit a good couple of times.

Had to visit Rodin for some upgrades then, as I was just going in RAW.

Got the after burner kick, snaffled the Tetsuzanko, swiped the Heel Spike and I was good to go.

Rodin's battles against demons to craft them into weapons cracks me up. It's a game waiting to happen. lol

Wont be able to play till tomorrow evening now, withdrawal symptoms already. >_<;

I was so chuffed...I tweeted for the 2nd time ever in my life. Last time was when MGR came out.

Fv460v2.jpg

These boys were involved in bare sick games man. Didnt do any research on Hashimoto, that dude was involved with Resi 3, 4 and Remake. I got all them too. Inaba with Sam Showdown and CVX to his name. Godlike gods!

Sos for shit post, posting from a phone on the M25.

People already have trouble finding it? Reminds me of Fire Emblem Awakening 's release...
Glad I bought the Bayonetta 2 Special edition yesterday.
The department stores where I live seemed to have no idea the game existed and even at the gamestop I went to the guy working there told me it wasn't out but when I insisted he asked the manager and they had two copies left hidden away somewhere.

Top Bottom