• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

To get Balder you have to play Tag Climax and beat the random verse card with Bayonetta and Jeanne. After you beat that you'll start to encounter a random verse card with Rosa and Balder. Beat that to unlock him. I don't have Rodin but I believe you have to beat a random verse card to unlock him as well

send you a FR(combofiend right?), pls invite to game ;_;

Adaren

Still loving every minute, but...

I'm getting some weird sound issues.

If I use a Wicked Weave and hold the attack (e.g. PKP(hold)) the bullets afterwards will be much quieter than normal. It's like my TV's automatic volume adjust (AVL) is kicking in, but I've checked multiple times that it's turned off.

Not sure whether to blame my TV (its weak point is definitely the sound), the Wii U, or the game itself.

The Panther Within noise also sounds a little weird, like I'm underwater sort of. It reminds me of...the pots in Dark Souls II? Some smashable object that made a really out-of-place, seemingly low quality sound.

Loving the game as expected besides that, but the sound issues are really annoying! Anyone experiencing similar issues?

Re-post because no one responded. Are people at least getting the weird Panther Within sound?

so how to unlock
balder and rodin
?

Keep playing tag climaxes and they will show up eventually. Make sure you're playing on at least 1 star difficulty. You may need 2 stars for some, I'm not entirely sure, I did a combination of 1 and 2 star battles. And I'm fairly certain you need to have completed the game first of course.

jmizzal

I wish you could post your trophies to Miiverse after each chapter like on the wonderful 101

Its cool that you can post screen shots to Miiverse without using the home button, just go to the in game pause menu

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have the weirdest gamestopper bug.

In the beginning of Chapter 5, it plays the comic cine, then goes into the game engine. It saves the game, and then the camera is sitting behind the character floating underwater looking up at the surface.

It just sits like that forever... the game is running fine, but she just lays there underwater looking up not accepting any control inputs. If I press "Start", I only get the option to "continue cinematic". I have to actually home menu out of the game to quit.

I tried rebooting the Wii, starting a different chapter, letting it save, then pick chapter 5 again. It happens every time.

What the hell is going on?

Adaren

I'm not getting that. I only have it on stereo and I'm using a Sound Bar, though. Are you using surround sound?

Using the TV speakers. TV Surround is turned off, WiiU is on Stereo, TV AVL is turned off. I've tried messing with the TV's sound settings but haven't made any headway on my issues.

TV is a Seiki SC322TI. There doesn't seem to be much info about it on the internet, but I got it for free from a friend so I shouldn't complain too much!

In addition to the watery Panther Within sound and the bullet sound dropping in volume when I Wicked Weave, I'm also getting a loud *woosh* sound from certain attacks (notably, if I spam Love is Blue's Bullet Climax, I'll hear almost nothing but *woosh* every time Bayonetta gets back on her feet). It also plays when I'm Dodge Offsetting some attacks, which is annoying.

Normally these sound issues wouldn't bother me too much, but the game is so amazing that I don't want to be distracted by such trivial issues. ><

Will try headphones+gamepad later. I'm guessing the issue is my TV, but it would still be interesting to hear if anyone else is experiencing similar issues!

The glorious package arrived yesterday!!
Fv460v2.jpg

that is a nice collection of amazing games you win 1 internet today

Astral Dog

So, having played up to chapter 5 this is awesome, the game is easily up to Byonetta standards, i even like exploring and finding things like the witches tombs, the notebooks Musphelheims and other items, the game looks gorgeous too, the new colorful look adds a lotof style,and its easily the best looking on Wii U, im finding new weapons, but still im not sure how to use the bow, and how are you supposed to kill the Glamor at chapter 3, that was annoying.

The other only downside so far is that , yes the framerate is not very stable, it can be distracting, and its worse when compared to the port of the first game,its not as bad as Wonderful 101, however.

To get Balder you have to play Tag Climax and beat the random verse card with Bayonetta and Jeanne. After you beat that you'll start to encounter a random verse card with Rosa and Balder. Beat that to unlock him. I don't have Rodin but I believe you have to beat a random verse card to unlock him as well

Is Balder playable in his masked form?

Monocle

Just finished the game at normal difficulty.
While it wasn't a bad game I am a little disappointed.
The game was too focused on epic set pieces and boss battles for me.
I miss fighting regular enemies as the ground pillar of the game with more epic moments and bosses to break it up here and there like in the first game.

It feels like it's been influenced by "the modern" era of game design, you even have ai partners and the game even has forced "walk slowly while hearing dialogue" sequences (though only a few) like in Gears.
You're even stuck with an ai partner when you
fight the end boss"
So overall I have to say I prefer the first game.
I don't get this complaint at all. "Fighting regular enemies as the ground pillar..." is exactly how I'd describe Bayonetta 2, based on the first 11 chapters + all Muspelheims and hidden verses to that point (maybe you skipped a lot of these?). Almost every chapter I played emphasizes normal combat over giant bosses and setpieces. As if that wasn't enough, there are plenty of boss battles against rival characters who are of similar size to Bayonetta, which keeps the combat system wide open.

I don't know if normal enemy encounters are more numerous or if the improved enemy variety is influencing my memory, but so far Bayonetta 2 has satisfied my preference for pure combat better than the original. The reason I replay Bayonetta 1's chapters 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, and 10 more than the others is that all the rest have elements that get in my way when I want to enjoy the combat system. Playing Bayonetta 2, I rarely found myself wishing I was playing through a normal battle. There are just so many fights with regular enemies, and the big bosses and setpieces are suitably brief and well placed.

kick51

Banned
Wow chapter 4

Is there a way to turn off the screen while playing with the tablet? Would like more than 2 hours of battery time.

As much as I love Bayo 2 nothing in it matches the rush from Wonderful 101 when Tables Turn kicks in or in MGR:R when the vocals in "Rules Of Nature" start up.

Also the Bow is crazy good. Long range, good damage, combos well with the whip or sword or anything on feet as it amplifies their damage. GIT GOOD

Seik

Banned
It says if i hit a button, the display will come back on, which it does (im playing the game with the tab)

Oh, sorry, I should've read your post more carefully.

Well, no, the display has to stay on if you're playing with the Gamepad.

My bad, I'm too used to the Pro Controller I guess.

kick51

Banned
Oh, sorry, I should've read your post more carefully.

Well, no, the display has to stay on if you're playing with the Gamepad.

My bad, I'm too used to the Pro Controller I guess.

No prob

Love bayo2...but the wii u is a very weird system.

Dinner time! Then all night with this witch.

Delt31

Just got it and yes it's INSANE but I just feel like I'm mashing buttons and moving on. Things are so nuts, I feel like it's not very skillful (besides dodging) Any suggestions b/c I must be missing something here. Thanks guys

Anyone?

Astral Dog

I agree with you. I think that's the difference between Kamiya and others directors. He throw tons of stuff in the game but everything make sense in a way.
Fly me to the moon, for example, is the song that Rosa sang to Cereza. They could make Moon River be Jeanne's theme, I don't know.

I'm also disappointed that the game was too serious, even the taunts aren't funny as Bayo 1 taunts... I think they didn't go one step further with torture attacks either. I think they spent all Bayonetta good lines on the beginning =(

Don't get me wrong: the game is wonderful and have amazing gameplay, but doesn't have much personality like Bayo 1.

Platinum is awesome, but Kamiya makes everything much more special.

This is a weird complaint, considering that Kamiya was the one in charge of the writing, or at least helped with the dialogue. I guess this game goes for a little more dark and serious tone.
Especially with
Balder and Bayonettas backstory

Alright we in there now, didn't wanna take any chances after that LOL

I'm done for now I gotta do some stuff. I can play again in like 15 minutes

Actually scratch that estimate, one of my buddies wants to play. I'm down to play more later though!

JayEH

When The Masked Lumen shows up you know shit is going to go down. I think his boss fights have been better than Jeanne's from Bayo 1.

You are probably not getting high combo and times consistently. The key is knowing which combo strings end in a power attack, you should always be building toward those. Know which ones knock enemies in the air for a juggle, which can clear a huge path in front of you, which stomps down, etc. You should be using dodge offset to keep the combo string going even when dodging, just be holding down the button when dodging.

Monocle

What are some uses for the bow, I dont seem to do well with it. What other weapon should go with it? what are some good weapon combos early on? I have the flame and ice guns too, I still do best with the two first weapons.
I use the bow and pistols a lot because I'm comfortable with the pistols' kick combos and finishers. Bow + flame/ice throwers seems to work well for damage.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not that Bayonetta was the epitome of story telling, but retconning the first is either lazy writing or writers that truly did not give a fuck.

EDIT: The Lumen Sage fights are definitely the game's best moments.

Neff

So I finished it.

There are two things seriously letting this game down imo.

1) Technical performance. Near-perpetual 30fps doesn't cut it when the original is running 60fps on 360 and Wii U.

2) Lack of Kamiya. His sense of self-deprecation, mischief and spectacle are sorely missed.

I enjoyed the game, it's an accomplished and thrilling character action game, but it falls way short of the original imo. Kamiya's classic did exactly what he said it would, it "blew the doors of the action genre". Bayonetta 2 sort of nudges them a bit.

Still, damn good game.

I don't know if it's just me, but after I finished Bayo1 a few hours ago I dove into 2 and find it more fluid and responsive. I noticed it the first time I used the camera to look around. Maybe it's just my imagination, or the controls are just tighter. I feel much more in control and dodging is easier, too.

Bayo 2 definitely allows for more freeflowing combos, but I'm not sure that's something that necessarily enhances the experience. Bayo 1's combos had a very succinct risk vs reward ethos, and that's not something that applies as much to Bayonetta 2, where combos and launchers are much easier and feel a lot more spammy.

NotLiquid

Can I just say that some of my favorite moments in this game are when the cutscenes close up on Bayonetta's face? She's so damn beautiful in this game. I adore the redesign they gave her.

I'm up to Chapter VI so far and the game is not pulling its punches. I love every single encounter and finding hidden ones + Muspelheim portals. I've found that my favorite weapon combination so far is Undine on arms and Rakshasa on legs. Kafka is kind of weird, I feel like I need to learn what makes that one click.

I use the bow and pistols a lot because I'm comfortable with the pistols' kick combos and finishers. Bow + flame/ice throwers seems to work well for damage.

Someone answered me! I am using combos of other weapons but I cant for the life of me find when the bow is a good option. There is no real damage indicators so I cant tell how much damage the bow is doing.

Monocle

Not that Bayonetta was the epitome of story telling, but retconning the first is either lazy writing or writers that truly did not give a fuck.

EDIT: The Lumen Sage fights are definitely the game's best moments.
From what I've seen, Bayonetta 2 goes a long way in fleshing out the original game's plot and giving context to a world that wasn't especially well explained to begin with. I'm enjoying Bayonetta 2's story elements much more than the first game's.

Someone answered me! I am using combos of other weapons but I cant for the life of me find when the bow is a good option. There is no real damage indicators so I cant tell how much damage the bow is doing.
The bow poisons enemies and stuns them with its combo finishers. I'm not sure if the poison effect is applied after a certain amount of arrows, or by how much damage you inflict, or what. In any case I'm finding the weapon really effective against pretty much every enemy type. It's helped me burn through loads of Muspelheim challenges. Great crowd control with the power shots, and as a ranged weapon it's obviously well suited to keeping your combo going.

Dartastic

I've found that the bow is good for boss encounters where they're really far away from you and you can't constantly close the distance to get close.

kick51

Banned

It's like that at first with this game and the first game. but almost everything leads into some combo if you're making sure to hit one button at a time and not just wailing on your pad. Eventually you kinda know what to do intuitively when things get crazy and memorize combos for when you want to apply a particular one.

dodge timing is the first most important thing, so keep that in mind in the middle of the action. get used to reacting to attacks before worrying about crazy combos.

kick51

Banned

from far away, charged bow shot to poison, weapon switch, go in and kick ass while their health saps

Blizzard

Banned
I don't think that's true at all. You only really get 60fps in Bayo 2 if you're fighting one enemy. You can get a comfortable 60fps on 360 Bayo 1 (haven't been all the way through Wii U Bayo 1 yet, although it holds up extremely well) with 3 or 4 enemies at once. It's clear that the sequel prioritises visuals over performance.
That surprises me to hear Bayonetta 1 had 60 fps on the 360 with 3 or 4 enemies, since the Digital Foundry video showed all 3 consoles dropping below 60 fps. However, the Digital Foundry video showed lots of boss fights so maybe that was the big differentiator?

Top Bottom