• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Coda

I love the short brawling sections peppered throughout the story mode that want you to get Pure Platinum medals on. The balance of this game is remarkable.

Astral Dog

Not that Bayonetta was the epitome of story telling, but retconning the first is either lazy writing or writers that truly did not give a fuck.

EDIT: The Lumen Sage fights are definitely the game's best moments.

Im not a fan of the "twist" either, but retconning it? isnt it just filling the gaps? If you are talking about
Balder
it was very vague, the sequel was supposedly planned at the same time of the original game too.
I havent watched all of the ending

robotrock

Banned
This game is absolutely incredible so far, just like the first game. I have played the first 4 chapters, and I just want it to last forever. Infinite replays will be had.

The other only downside so far is that , yes the framerate is not very stable, it can be distracting, and its worse when compared to the port of the first game,its not as bad as Wonderful 101, however.

Hm, are you sure about this? I just finished the port of 1 and towards the second half, there were times where it felt like the game was dipping into 20fps or less territory.

wanders

Using the TV speakers. TV Surround is turned off, WiiU is on Stereo, TV AVL is turned off. I've tried messing with the TV's sound settings but haven't made any headway on my issues.

TV is a Seiki SC322TI. There doesn't seem to be much info about it on the internet, but I got it for free from a friend so I shouldn't complain too much!

In addition to the watery Panther Within sound and the bullet sound dropping in volume when I Wicked Weave, I'm also getting a loud *woosh* sound from certain attacks (notably, if I spam Love is Blue's Bullet Climax, I'll hear almost nothing but *woosh* every time Bayonetta gets back on her feet). It also plays when I'm Dodge Offsetting some attacks, which is annoying.

Normally these sound issues wouldn't bother me too much, but the game is so amazing that I don't want to be distracted by such trivial issues. ><

Will try headphones+gamepad later. I'm guessing the issue is my TV, but it would still be interesting to hear if anyone else is experiencing similar issues!

Iv had some sound issues myself but I think it's the game

The VO work sounds very low quality it's almost scratchy on my set up

Astral Dog

Hm, are you sure about this? I just finished the port of 1 and towards the second half, there were times where it felt like the game was dipping into 20fps or less territory.

Well, i havent played the more demanding parts of the port yet, but it seems to be more or less the same than on 360, my point was that the port felt smoother than Bayonetta 2, were the framerate is more noticeable.

kick51

Banned
Why did I not unlock Bat Within sooner? OMG it makes the timing for Witch Time so much more forgiving I'm getting platinums left and right now.

it almost feels like cheating!

Are any of you playing this with randoms online? Any good?

I'm afraid that once people find the broken stuff/glitches, online with randoms will be ruined.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I like the game so far (Chapter 7), but it almost seems like the designers are stubborn in correcting the actually annoying issues with the first game. The cutscenes and writing are still terrible, which usually doesn't bug me, but they're so...frequent that it becomes annoying to even skip them. The game visually looks so much better than the first, though I guess that comes at the cost of performance. Really crappy performance. PS3 Bayonettaish almost.

The mission/level design structure feels disjointed to me still with very unclear transitions between areas and a confusing lack of believability in the locales. I don't really care, but it plays tricks on my mind and makes me feel like the pacing is off.

I don't like the big aerial boss battles or whatever. I think they're boring and just become dodgefests but the humanoid battles (like the
Lumen Sage
) take the strengths of the first to a whole nother level. God, it's so good.

I can't be the only one that just wants to go from combat arena to combat arena. The game truly shines in those circumstances. Every other part of the game I just think is so lacking. But I thought that about the first too.

Coda

Why did I not unlock Bat Within sooner? OMG it makes the timing for Witch Time so much more forgiving I'm getting platinums left and right now.

Same, Bat Within is dope.

Anyone beat the first challenge room where you have to defeat enemies to increase the timer? It's the first one that truly had me stumped.

Y2Kev

What? Performance wise I feel Bayo 2 way better then the first one.

Uh...I mean I don't know what to say. It's not even close.

edit: Unless you played on PS3, in which case it's actually way closer than it should be.

Astral Dog

I have to say one thing, i dont like the voice of the Masked Lumen,i know its Crispin Freeman, but i didnt like him as Sundowner either.
He just sounds dull/forced.

Same, Bat Within is dope.

Anyone beat the first challenge room where you have to defeat enemies to increase the timer? It's the first one that truly had me stumped.

I think I've done four of those increase timer challenges so far. The first two really weren't that bad but the last two... dear god I never thought I would finish them ;_;

Edit: Oh, I guess it would have been helpful to give a tip. Lock on so you can focus on one enemy at a time if you aren't already then use Ultimate Climax as soon as it builds up. No torture attacks as they waste too much time.
Uh...I mean I don't know what to say. It's not even close.
I played them back to back yesterday. The performance seems to get much better later in the game but Bayo1 is running at least 10fps faster.

Coda

I like the game so far (Chapter 7), but it almost seems like the designers are stubborn in correcting the actually annoying issues with the first game. The cutscenes and writing are still terrible, which usually doesn't bug me, but they're so...frequent that it becomes annoying to even skip them. The game visually looks so much better than the first, though I guess that comes at the cost of performance. Really crappy performance. PS3 Bayonettaish almost.

The mission/level design structure feels disjointed to me still with very unclear transitions between areas and a confusing lack of believability in the locales. I don't really care, but it plays tricks on my mind and makes me feel like the pacing is off.

I don't like the big aerial boss battles or whatever. I think they're boring and just become dodgefests but the humanoid battles (like the
Lumen Sage
) take the strengths of the first to a whole nother level. God, it's so good.

I can't be the only one that just wants to go from combat arena to combat arena. The game truly shines in those circumstances. Every other part of the game I just think is so lacking. But I thought that about the first too.

Really? I've never heard that opinion honestly. Boring action games are ones where all you are doing is going from room to room killing enemies, it gets boring no matter how good the combat system is. The world, atmosphere, and pure spectacle is what makes Bayonetta 2 standout from the crowd in my opinion.

wiibomb

I feel so sad that you guys are all playing through the games and I'm here sitting for my shitty country to get some stock in a decent store..

I seriously do not want to pay $100 for the only game I could find in almost all the country
(I was seriously considering paying that much... because dem hype)

Y2Kev

Really? I've never heard that opinion honestly. Boring action games are ones where all you are doing is going from room to room killing enemies, it gets boring no matter how good the combat system is. The world, atmosphere, and pure spectacle is what makes Bayonetta 2 standout from the crowd in my opinion.

No way. Bloody Palace is where it's at.

Dreavus

I hate to pick out this sentence, but did you play the first game primarily on PS3? It's not even remotely close to being anywhere near as bad as that game performed. There were full verses/levels running at sub 30 in that game.

Neoxon

I played a bit of the first game, & the second feels so much smoother when it comes to the combat. Not to mention 2 is much more colorful.

Squishy3

I was not expecting a Game of Thrones line in this game.

Rodin referencing Link's Awakening too as one of his shop entrance lines. Da best. Kamiya knows what the best Zelda game is.

I've played both B1 and B2, I can't see people using WAY/MUCH/REALLY to describe the difference in performance between the two. They both aint 60 most of the time in combat, and neither was Wonderful 101.

I can say that there was only one fight in Chapter 10 where the framerate got to me, which is more than I can say for all the Vorkken fights/final boss/ice level in Wonderful 101, or that last Tower platforming section in Bayonetta 1/the climbing the building section near the end that is just perpetual Ninja Theory, even on 360. And screen tearing, lots and lots and screen tearing. On top of that weird piss filter that made the whole game look dull and muted.

Hyperbole running wild in this mothafucka

Coda

No way. Bloody Palace is where it's at.

It may be a fun mode, but that's a seperate mode and should be treated as such. Am I the only one who thinks the story isn't that terrible in this game? It brings back Devil May Cry feels for me.

Y2Kev

I hate to pick out this sentence, but did you play the first game primarily on PS3? It's not even remotely close to being anywhere near as bad as that game performed. There were full verses/levels running at sub 30 in that game.

Yes, I have both versions. This sits just north of 30 for a lot of verses. I'm not sure "not remotely close" is fair. What do you think the average framerate is of the game?

Dreavus

Yes, I have both versions. This sits just north of 30 for a lot of verses. I'm not sure "not remotely close" is fair. What do you think the average framerate is of the game?

No idea. My memory might be failing me but I remember PS3 Bayo to be quite painful, to the point where I stopped going back to the game at all despite it being one of my favourites. This one has never felt that bad for me yet, except during select torture attacks (like the spiked wheel one on those
Bayo 1
enemies.

Yeah, nothing's come close to the "fighting on top of the cars" or "giant statue room" levels from the PS3 game.

Astral Dog

It may be a fun mode, but that's a seperate mode and should be treated as such. Am I the only one who thinks the story isn't that terrible in this game? It brings back Devil May Cry feels for me.

For what it is, it isnt bad,Bayonetta 1 had the best story in the "series" behind DMC 3 imo, it has colorful characters over the top action, and looks "stylish".
But really, it has more personality than most action games, or other genres ,also a lot of lore for this type of game.,i prefer that to other games.(ehem ,Destiny,DmC).

I havent finished Bayonetta 2, but the cutscenes are a huge upgrade,also it was written by the DMC 3/DMC 4 scryptwritter, so its maybe that :p

Umbran Climax is such a great way to even better smooth out that super-continuous Bayo difficulty curve. Use your magic meter for higher damage + health regen to make the game slightly easier in a pinch, or do Torture Attacks for bigger score bonuses to actually get those delicious Pure Platinums. So good.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Still taking a while for me to get used to how the combat works in this game.

Bayonetta is so weak outside of Umbran Climax and Witch Time. It seems to be that way on purpose to emphasize the importance of both those modes they toned down her Wicked Weaves and moves outside of them.(Which I guess is why Witch Time is still present on NSIC)

Moves that would have sent Beloved sized enemies flying across the screen now don't even break auto guard for enemies half its size, or only stagger.

So it's been kind of awkward for me trying to play the game that way.(Barely using the meter options like in the first game) It's too early to say it's not doable, just at this point of the game it's not any fun compared to the firepower of Umbran Climax.

but unfortunately starting out, the duration of the mode is so short it's hard to get and practice and figure out what each string with each weapon does in the mode.

Those claims about combo potential being nerfed make more sense to me now though. It's not that bayonetta's combo potential got nerfed, just normal bayonetta in general seemed to. Inside Witch Time and Umbran Climax she seems to behave alot more like her base form in the first game.(Turned up to 100 in UC obviously)

Obviously I prefer how the first game works at this point since it's familiar, but I'm interested in seeing which approach I prefer in the long run.

My hands still cramp the fuck up doing dodge offset all the time on the Pro Controller after a couple hours of playing, but it's certainly as comfy as it's gonna get. You're not supposed to be comfy when playing Bayonetta 2. At least so far it's been one hell of an exhilarating thrill ride.

Thats why im not going to use a pro controller.

Nyko-Pro-commander-Wii-U.jpg

Closest thing to a 360 controller I can find.

Long term though, im hoping this works well:-

UKHXckH.jpg

Nintendos controllers aren't shit for this type of game. Sorry.

Still taking a while for me to get used to how the combat works in this game.

Bayonetta is so weak outside of Umbran Climax and Witch Time. It seems to be that way on purpose to emphasize the importance of both those modes they toned down her Wicked Weaves and moves outside of them.(Which I guess is why Witch Time is still present on NSIC)

Moves that would have sent Beloved sized enemies flying across the screen now don't even break auto guard for enemies half its size, or only stagger.

So it's been kind of awkward for me trying to play the game that way.(Barely using the meter options like in the first game) It's too early to say it's not doable, just at this point of the game it's not any fun compared to the firepower of Umbran Climax.

but unfortunately starting out, the duration of the mode is so short it's hard to get and practice and figure out what each string with each weapon does in the mode.

Those claims about combo potential being nerfed make more sense to me now though. It's not that bayonetta's combo potential got nerfed, just normal bayonetta in general seemed to. Inside Witch Time and Umbran Climax she seems to behave alot more like her base form in the first game.(Turned up to 100 in UC obviously)

Obviously I prefer how the first game works at this point since it's familiar, but I'm interested in seeing which approach I prefer in the long run.

To be honest, im enjoying weak Bayo. My biggest criticism of the first game is it never felt that Bayonetta was in danger. Even if you was crap at the game generally, it felt like Bayonetta was overpowered and was basically going through the motions.

Bayo 2 without UC feels closer to Ninja gaiden. Yes you can fuck shit up, but make a mistake and you will get your shit pushed in, even by a basic grunt. I have no problems playing this way, even more so taunting and eventually equipping GoD.

Generally Bayo 2 feels eaiser, but I feel that you can make it much harder for yourself than Bayo 1, especially if you refuse to use items or buy bat within.

I'll say this, I can probably count the number of Torture Attacks I used on either of my 3rd Climax runs on one hand. With Umbran Climax, its like..why? lol. Umbran Climax can do just as much damage, hit more people, you don't have to use the full bar, generally faster, gets more points, etc. Yeah, you get the angel arms, but eh.

I think ThoughtsonSpeaking is right as seeing Bayo 1 and 2 as companion pieces, not narratively, but gameplay wise, too. I think Bayo2 is better than Bayo1 in several areas(visually, the gimmick sections, boss fights, weapon design, alt. costumes), but a lot of stuff is not necessarily worse, just different. Instead of working in TAs or back-forward instant weaves, I use Umbran Climax. Not really sure which one I prefer, its just..different.

wsippel

Banned
Just played the first two chapters after finishing Bayonetta 1 again to refresh my memory. Quite an amazing improvement so far. Bayonetta 2 looks better, plays smoother and feels a lot more polished. I've not seen much yet, but what little I've seen makes me very, very happy.

I'll say this, I can probably count the number of Torture Attacks I used on either of my 3rd Climax runs on one hand. With Umbran Climax, its like..why? lol. Umbran Climax can do just as much damage, hit more people, you don't have to use the full bar, generally faster, gets more points, etc. Yeah, you get the angel arms, but eh.

I think ThoughtsonSpeaking is right as seeing Bayo 1 and 2 as companion pieces, not narratively, but gameplay wise, too. I think Bayo2 is better than Bayo1 in several areas(visually, the gimmick sections, boss fights, weapon design, alt. costumes), but a lot of stuff is not necessarily worse, just different. Instead of working in TAs or back-forward instant weaves, I use Umbran Climax. Not really sure which one I prefer, its just..different.

Yeah. I honestly feel like Bayo 1&2 are basically Sonic 3 and Knuckles of action games. Without spoiling them both, it feels that gameplay wise Bayo 1 builds up to a climax and Bayo 2 basically holds it there.

I think that anyone who hasnt played either is in for a treat. These are two games that are going to feel so good to play in one or two sittings over a weekend.

Yeah. I honestly feel like Bayo 1&2 are basically Sonic 3 and Knuckles of action games. Without spoiling them both, it feels that gameplay wise Bayo 1 builds up to a climax and Bayo 2 basically holds it there.

I think that anyone who hasnt played either is in for a treat. These are two games that are going to feel so good to play in one or two sittings over a weekend.

Ha, yeah that's a good comparison. I was also thinking of Metal Slug X to Metal Slug 3. X builds up to an alien invasion finish, and then 3 just ups the spectacle from level 1 onwards to a crazy ass finale. I love both, but my favorite of the two is...whichever one I played last, lol. They basically sit in the same spot in my head for favorite games, and I think in the long run Bayo 1/2 are gonna be the same thing.

edit: man, they nerfed the fuck out of G'n'G in this game. You can just air combo/relaunch them to hell and back. Its other enemies that are kinda dicks, breaking guard and what not. The Ardor type dudes in this game will just say "nah, nigga aint going out like that" and just combo break your ass.

Top Bottom