• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

wsippel

Banned
Nintendos controllers aren't shit for this type of game. Sorry.
The GamePad really isn't suited for that type of game, and playing Bayonetta 1, it took a bit to get used to the Pro Controller after playing it on 360 for so long (not to mention I only got the Pro Controller last week), but I like it now. As in: I don't think about it, it feels right to me.

Neff

I dont remember, but can you deactivate combat skills that you bought? that breakdance move is getting annoying.

Yes, of course. Go into your equip setup, press X to bring up the skill list, and move right twice to access your non-weapon moveset. You can deactivate skills from there.

I bought The Crow Within in case I needed to float across any gaps for secrets (it turns out I didn't), but I sure as hell don't want to be activating that mid-fight, so I was glad I could turn it off.

Monocle

Chapter 13

banderas.gif
Right!? So, so good.

It may be a fun mode, but that's a seperate mode and should be treated as such. Am I the only one who thinks the story isn't that terrible in this game? It brings back Devil May Cry feels for me.
No, I agree, the story is a huge improvement on the first game's, and it actually makes the first game's plot more interesting with all the tie-ins and new revelations. I love the larger than life attitudes of the characters, the absurd humor and drama, the fictional historical elements, and the insanely high stakes. Platinum really brought the world of Bayonetta to life in this game. Thoroughly enjoyable.

I'll say this, I can probably count the number of Torture Attacks I used on either of my 3rd Climax runs on one hand. With Umbran Climax, its like..why? lol. Umbran Climax can do just as much damage, hit more people, you don't have to use the full bar, generally faster, gets more points, etc. Yeah, you get the angel arms, but eh.

I think ThoughtsonSpeaking is right as seeing Bayo 1 and 2 as companion pieces, not narratively, but gameplay wise, too. I think Bayo2 is better than Bayo1 in several areas(visually, the gimmick sections, boss fights, weapon design, alt. costumes), but a lot of stuff is not necessarily worse, just different. Instead of working in TAs or back-forward instant weaves, I use Umbran Climax. Not really sure which one I prefer, its just..different.
I don't think you get more points. That said, pure platinums are still totally possible just using lots of UC.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
After backing up my save file and redownloading the entire game to see if maybe my install was somehow corrupt, I loaded up the game again after the fresh install, and I still had the hanging cinematic at the beginning of Chapter 5.

I restarted the game, and played through the first two levels. I got to the big hub in level 2, and I went to switch off that annoying button hint that tells you how to use your wolf ability.

Then I thought... hmmm.... maybe....

So I loaded up my old save game, and before loading chapter 5, I re-enabled button hints. I thought maybe there was a weird scripting bug that broke the cinematic if you didn't have button hints enabled.

I get the the "hanging cinematic", and lo-and-behold, there is a button hint there now. Some crazy LZ and press up twice on the analog stick to push Loki out of the water mechanic. (EDIT: Oh, it's the usual dash mechanic, I see you use it later in the level)

What the hell! I'm amazed no one else on here had that problem...

They really should have forced you to see that button hint even with button hints disabled, as it introduces a new use of an interaction that you would have absolutely no idea how to pull off... and it gates continuing the game.

It's the 2014 version of this:

tumblr_lntnq9JIKo1qdtw9eo1_500.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Yes, I have both versions. This sits just north of 30 for a lot of verses. I'm not sure "not remotely close" is fair. What do you think the average framerate is of the game?
Please forgive the ignorant question: Are you referring to a Digital Foundry or similar analysis, or just by feel? At least for me, I suspect I would have a lot of trouble telling the difference between 30 fps and 40 fps. 30 and 60 is a more noticeable difference obviously, but I wondered since you very specifically said just north of 30.

The only video I'm aware of has closer to 40, or higher, in most areas: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-hands-on-with-bayonetta-2

Are the verses you're referring to not shown in that video?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, im enjoying weak Bayo. My biggest criticism of the first game is it never felt that Bayonetta was in danger. Even if you was crap at the game generally, it felt like Bayonetta was overpowered and was basically going through the motions.

Bayo 2 without UC feels closer to Ninja gaiden. Yes you can fuck shit up, but make a mistake and you will get your shit pushed in, even by a basic grunt. I have no problems playing this way, even more so taunting and eventually equipping GoD.

Generally Bayo 2 feels eaiser, but I feel that you can make it much harder for yourself than Bayo 1, especially if you refuse to use items or buy bat within.

I don't care about that. That's not Bayonetta to me.

I mean that's always the reason I liked it more than Devil May Cry, where until DMC4 the combat was focused around putting all this work into a single enemy at a time, or Ninja Gaiden where the combat is so limited because of how oppressively powerful and unmanageable enemy waves are.

Bayonetta isn't about survival. It's about knocking your enemies away flawlessly. Bayonetta has the most satisfying feeling hits out of all the big three because of how powerful her blows are.

and idk right now after coming off playing the game on NSIC for years, it's hard to adjust to relying on Witch Time and Umbran Climax to really get that satisfying feeling of blowing your enemies up.

I think ThoughtsonSpeaking is right as seeing Bayo 1 and 2 as companion pieces, not narratively, but gameplay wise, too. t.

Maybe I'll end up seeing it this way in the end too. It's how I feel about games like Nightshade and Viewtiful Joe 2 when compared to their predecessors.

but in both cases I also feel the first games are much stronger games.

Oh well brother wants a go. Will probably finish the game tomorrow night.

Gonna thumb through the guide and see what kind of unlocks I'm looking at working towards

Zeliard

I'll say this, I can probably count the number of Torture Attacks I used on either of my 3rd Climax runs on one hand. With Umbran Climax, its like..why? lol. Umbran Climax can do just as much damage, hit more people, you don't have to use the full bar, generally faster, gets more points, etc. Yeah, you get the angel arms, but eh.

Ditto, I've found myself rarely using Torture Attacks.

Delt31

does that song from the demo play everytime you get into a big fight? Seems to be repeating for the first 3 chapters and hoping it doesn't do that all game...

I just played my first round of tag climax with a random person. What a fantastic mode! I didn't even realize we were competing to get the better score until I lost to the other person on the fourth one, then it clicked. Since it just says you won, I assumed the betting was for both of us surviving. Very eager to unlock other characters and give them a spin.

Finished my first playthrough on 3rd climax earlier. Very fun game.

Looking through the Prima guide, it seems that the unlockables in this are much less grindy than the crap requirements in the original. So I'm thankful for that.

Overall, I'd put both games about equal. Although the environments in 2 are amazing, I thought the first game was A LOT more varied. So I'm kinda disappointed in that regard. Also, other than Udine and LiB, I don't like any of the other weapons. I prefer the original game's set. I miss my Kilgore ;_;

The bosses in this game also felt way too fucking busy. Just shit flying everywhere in the background and foreground even. Makes it really hard to see their attacks at times. The original had this issue at times, but it feels a lot more pronounced here.

That's mostly just nitpicks honestly. I'm still in disbelief that we actually got a sequel at all. Tag climax is an absolutely amazing addition. Even people who don't play online should try this. The net-code is rock solid, and the mode's rules and verses are just tons of fun.

So happy that Nintendo saved this project, and that Platinum finally put out a good game on the Wii U.

Zeliard

Just finished Chapter X, and what's clear is both Bayonetta 1 and especially 2 do spectacle so much better than the God of War series. The latter is basically renown for its impressive set pieces, but Bayonetta not only bests it emphatically in that area but has much more interesting combat mechanics to boot.

And as far as Bayonetta 2's battle encounters where it marries both presentation and combat mechanics together so splendidly, it's basically unmatched in the genre, even by NGB.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Finished my first playthrough on 3rd climax earlier. Very fun game.

Looking through the Prima guide, it seems that the unlockables in this are much less grindy than the crap requirements in the original. So I'm thankful for that.

Overall, I'd put both games about equal. Although the environments in 2 are amazing, I thought the first game was A LOT more varied. So I'm kinda disappointed in that regard. Also, other than Udine and LiB, I don't like any of the other weapons. I prefer the original game's set. I miss my Kilgore ;_;

The bosses in this game also felt way too fucking busy. Just shit flying everywhere in the background and foreground even. Makes it really hard to see their attacks at times. The original had this issue at times, but it feels a lot more pronounced here.

That's mostly just nitpicks honestly. I'm still in disbelief that we actually got a sequel at all. Tag climax is an absolutely amazing addition. Even people who don't play online should try this. The net-code is rock solid, and the mode's rules and verses are just tons of fun.

So happy that Nintendo saved this project, and that Platinum finally put out a good game on the Wii U.

I like the weapons for making more usable on both limbs

and I think Bayo 2 has some really standout great new weapons like the hammer and the gunscythe

but I miss some of my favorites from the first game too. But I mean that's how these games go. New set of weapons for a new game. DMC was the same way for the most part.

Just finished Chapter 4, loving it so far, aside from
Loki. Why do Platinum insist on putting annoying kids in their games? MGR, TW101, and Bayo 2 would all be better without them.
. Also, Sometimes its difficult to follow the action during really crazy parts, especially during the
flying segment vs the lumen sage
. I'm actually enjoying the story so far though. Graphics/art look great, music is awesome, and of course the action is as smooth as ever. Aside from chapter 1 the chapters have been really short so far. I hope the increase in length as the game goes on.

hughesta

Banned
Holy shit Chapter XI

Made it to the bosses second phase with one hit left. Managed to avoid taking damage for the entirety of the phase, survived, got Platinum.

Probably the most intense gaming I've done all year.

Astral Dog

Just finished Chapter X, and what's clear is both Bayonetta 1 and especially 2 do spectacle so much better than the God of War series. The latter is basically renown for its impressive set pieces, but Bayonetta not only bests it emphatically in that area but has much more interesting combat mechanics to boot.

And as far as Bayonetta 2's battle encounters where it marries both presentation and combat mechanics together so splendidly, it's basically unmatched in the genre, even by NGB.

Wow,i never thought i would see someone say something like ths :O

But the Masked Lumen was very cool and i was impressed when you are thrown in the chapter 6,something about that part was epic.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
As a black guy I personally like Platinum's trend of putting brown kids in their games :3

And after George nothing can get to me. I like Loki so far

Gonna have to disagree. Bayo certainly has better than mechanics, but GOW is on the top of the action genre when it comes to spectacle and scale.

I like the weapons for making more usable on both limbs

and I think Bayo 2 has some really standout great new weapons like the hammer and the gunscythe

but I miss some of my favorites from the first game too. But I mean that's how these games go. New set of weapons for a new game. DMC was the same way for the most part.

Other than Udine and LiB, all the weapons just feel off to me for some reason.

With that said, I didn't experiment with them nearly enough. So I might end up liking some (or all) of them. I'll need to test them out in tag climax or something.

Zomba13

Just finished (3rd Climax difficulty). Fantastic as expected. I just wish Moon River played more, I thought it'd be the Fly Me To The Moon of the game but it was used very rarely. I actually managed to find and do all the Mupsulheims (or whatever) on my first run through. Hardest one was by far the last "don't hit the ground" one until I figured out you can kinda jump up the guy.

Spoilers (Like, finish the game first):
I really liked how this was both a sequel and a prequel with how it redeemed but also set up Balder's evil plot. Loki was much better than I expected. I expected to hate him and find him annoying but he grew on me and even the VA grew on me. Loved how Luka and Rodin have become friends.

Astral Dog

As a black guy I personally like Platinum's trend of putting brown kids in their games :3

And after George nothing can get to me. I like Loki so far

I dont get the people say Loki is as bad as George, i couldnt even understand that kid,he was not even important.
Loki at least can become a squirrel.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Other than Udine and LiB, all the weapons just feel off to me for some reason.

With that said, I didn't experiment with them nearly enough. So I might end up liking some (or all) of them. I'll need to test them out in tag climax or something.

Gotta try using them in UC. I think alot of the new moves and chains are duds in regular mode vs most enemies besides the most basic grunts that react to everything.

But the coolest shit with weapons and the new chains happens in UC. That's the meat and potatoes of bayonetta's combat mechanics, vs the first game where it was dodge offeset to get to the WW's you wanted

Mesoian

Just polished off my first playthrough.

It's definitely an easier game than bayo 1, and the emphasis on playing smart until it's time to pop climax mode is an interesting change, but it's one that I don't really mind. It gives you a momentary goal that can be more easily grasped than the normal combat rhetoric that these games tend to have.

Don't know why I expected the nintendo costumes to be unlocked from the get go, they're not. I don't mind, it was just surprising.

One thing I really don't like is how easy it is to miss certain weapons. I missed the hammer and one other weapon entirely.

But whatever, enjoyed, will play again, probably right now.

Just finished on second climax. I really enjoyed the game, overall. I think I preferred Bayo 1 a bit, as it was a fresh experience back when I played it at release. This very much felt like a "part two" to the first game. Still, time flew sat playing it today. I'll be starting up third climax next, and I'll be grabbing an LP I missed too.

I don't know about everyone else but I'd love to see Bayo 1 and 2 get combined somehow and give you the full weapon/item/ability/accessory arsenal from both games. I know it'll never happen but it'd be so awesome to have all of the weapons from both games at your disposal through both campaigns.

smh @ life not letting me get much Bayonetta 2 time today

*shakes fist at life*

On the other hand, what little time I did get was spent with a Wii U Pro Controller, and that thing feels amazing. So much more comfortable switching weapons and doing quick lock-on launchers.

Top Bottom