• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

ViviOggi

Any tips on doing better on bayo 1? I've been getting stones for awhile, I find the chapters are very long and I can't sustain my life for too long, even having some healing items. I also find witch time hard to perform, I die quite a bit, and I don't find that enemies drop life items often. Any tips? Help?
Work on your dodging.

So, you get excited for corny shit like this but Bayonetta's story and cutscenes are "abyssal" in comparison? Lol, I can't.

Yes? I don't have problem with the action cutscenes in Bayonetta. It's everything else. Especially when one of the most central characters in Bayo 2 is generally not that interesting. Platinum needs to stop putting child characters in their games. It never works out.

iratA

Ok so a few questions, might want to spoiler tag the answers for these:

1. Does anything top the the boss fight in Chapter

2. I am up to Chapter 10. How much longer do I have to go?

3. Is there new game plus and if so what carries over... weapons? halos?

Great game so far.

Cuphead

Banned
Ok so a few questions, might want to spoiler tag the answers for these:

1. Does anything top the the boss fight in Chapter

2. I am up to Chapter 10. How much longer do I have to go?

3. Is there new game plus and if so what carries over... weapons? halos?

Great game so far.

1. yeah, most of the bosses are way cooler than that stuff, I don't get all the cream over it.

2.6 more chapters 2-3 hrs

taybul

Man this started getting hard at around chapters 7-8. I'm playing on 3rd Climax and I'm now dying at least 3-4 times every chapter. I haven't really bought any weapons or accessories either, but should I be? I'm basically still playing with the same setup from the start of the game.

Kouriozan

Played it just after finishing Bayonetta 1 story, oh boy the gameplay just feels better than the first.
The pacing is also better too!

Astral Dog

That's kinda of crazy since they did a amazing job in MGSR, probably had the best cut scenes ever in a action game and it was done by platinum.

Heh, MG Rising story was very dissapointing, except for a few parts at the beggining, middle and of course the final boss. i was actually expecting them to go crazier,more silly,it was very dull, imo.

But if we are talking about cutscenes, Bayonetta 2 has very good ones,i dont see how it doesnt :/.

The cutscenes feel so much more distracting than last time. It might just be me. They're so long and frequent, Ive started skipping them. Shame. :(

The cutscene placement feels more natural and less disjointed than it did in 1, especially with the slow start 1 had.

I'm pretty close to beating the game already. It seems a little shorter than 1 did, but 1 also had parts I wish didn't exist. While the underwater and flying parts aren't my favorite, they seem to taper off as you progress. Loki becomes less of an insufferable twat, too.

DedValve

Banned
I haven't unlocked all the weapons but there seems to be less of them this time around?

Bayonetta 1 was tripping weapons and crazy ones at that. Bayo 2 mostly seems to have upgraded weapons such as whips, dual swords, etc.

At least tell me gun-chuck is in! That was the best weapon ever.

Anyone gotten Pure Platinums yet?

my only pure plat on NSIC is valor )':.
Been trying to beat this last witch trial for so many hours,only managed to get up to chapter 5, might need to start looking into accessories for some help

I haven't unlocked all the weapons but there seems to be less of them this time around?

Bayonetta 1 was tripping weapons and crazy ones at that. Bayo 2 mostly seems to have upgraded weapons such as whips, dual swords, etc.

At least tell me gun-chuck is in! That was the best weapon ever.

There are seriously loads of weapons

Astral Dog

I want to talk about the final boss:

Having not yet finished the game(im taking my sweet time) but watched enough.

Yeah, the final boss is underwhelming compared to Jubileus,i was expecting, and im sure others too, a big multi faceted monster in space, and instead we got this clown on a thong.

But, at the same time, he seems to be a well made and designed boss,Loptr is not going to become a fan favorite, but he fits well on Bayonettas world and is typical Platinum, in a way he reminds me of Armstrong in that he seems to be some kind of parody, he also reminds me a bit of Sanctus of DMC 4 ,another one i ended up liking (the problem was that he was at the top of a mountain of recycled bosses, but i think im the only one glad the FB wasnt Vergil again, like many wanted/expected).

I wonder, is it really fair to expect Platinum to get more crazier and climatic with each boss they make? for example, Jerghinga from W101 had a lot of spectacle, but i dont think he was really fun to fight.

Loptr is very different from Jubileus on purpose, i was dissapointed, but at the same time i get that PG wanted to do something different, i was expecting a huge monster throwing planets , but they already kind of did that with Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 (and,to some extent, Bayonetta 2 too,it was more or less on space, i wanted something on heaven or hell)

Comparing it to Wonderful101 in pure spectacle,i always knew Bayonetta 2 wasnt going to surprass it,they are different universes after all, but Bayo 2 is still the best game by far, imo.

So, i think they could have gone a bit more crazy with Loptr,i still prefer Jubileus for some reasons including music, but at the same time Loptr is NOT a bad final boss at all.

What did you think of the Final Boss?

Is there any reason why they still do those cheap looking cutscenes with a bunch of stills? I imagined they ran out of time or budget in the first game but they are back in full force the second game. Not a big fan of them personally.

Astral Dog

Is there any reason why they still do those cheap looking cutscenes with a bunch of stills? I imagined they ran out of time or budget in the first game but they are back in full force the second game. Not a big fan of them personally.

Im guessing its for budget reasons also,
the recycled music, enemies setting, and bosses
suguest this game didnt get a huge budget upgrade at all, (thats not a bad thing)

Grisby

Finished.

Had a great time but the final couple of stages don't topple Bayo 1 for me. The final boss in the original Bayinetta was something spectacular and th lead up with Jeanne was quite cool as well.

The battle in the sequel was certainly hectic but a little disappointing.

Both games are kind of tied for me at the moment. I appreciated that Bayo 2 is a leaner game but I liked the boss setups more in the original.

Yeah, the final boss is underwhelming compared to Jubileus,i was expecting, and im sure others too, a big multi faceted monster in space, and instead we got this clown on a thong.

But, at the same time, he seems to be a well made and designed boss,Loptr is not going to become a fan favorite, but he fits well on Bayonettas world and is typical Platinum, in a way he reminds me of Armstrong in that he seems to be some kind of parody, he also reminds me a bit of Sanctus of DMC 4 ,another one i ended up liking (the problem was that he was at the top of a mountain of recycled bosses, but i think im the only one glad the FB wasnt Vergil again, like many wanted/expected).

I wonder, is it really fair to expect Platinum to get more crazier and climatic with each boss they make? for example, Jerghinga from W101 had a lot of spectacle, but i dont think he was really fun to fight.

Loptr is very different from Jubileus on purpose, i was dissapointed, but at the same time i get that PG wanted to do something different, i was expecting a huge monster throwing planets , but they already kind of did that with Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 (and,to some extent, Bayonetta 2 too,it was more or less on space, i wanted something on heaven or hell)

Comparing it to Wonderful101 in pure spectacle,i always knew Bayonetta 2 wasnt going to surprass it,they are different universes after all, but Bayo 2 is still the best game by far, imo.

So, i think they could have gone a bit more crazy with Loptr,i still prefer Jubileus for some reasons, but at the same time he is NOT a bad final boss at all.

I think going away from Jubileus was a smart idea actually. You probably not gonna top that or the intergalactic spectacle that was W101's finale, and I like the idea of a more personal, your size finish like DMC3/4/MGR/NGB/etc.

But he was still essentially Loptr/Prophet, which we had fought at least twice now. Armstrong, for example, what so out of left field, you were adapting to his cutscenes and crazy speeches and boss patterns on the fly. It was intense, hilarious, awesome experience. When the music kicks in, shit goes down.

With Bayo2, it was just...expected. Like you got to him, and it wasn't an exciting "THIS IS IT!" moment, it was "yeah this is probably the final boss. Oh he's got all Loptr's moves, ok. Damn, kinda fast on that palm move. Yep, here comes the big Father Balder satellite throw QTE. lol just kick his ass now I guess. Huh, throwing him in the mouth wasn't hard at all this time? ok then."

Bayonetta 2 on the whole had the same "problem" I had with Tropical Freeze, in that they were across the board excellent video games that improved on their great predecessors in several ways, but they were soooo similar they could pass for one another barring the HD sheen. Damn near the same game structure, plot progression, boss designs, UI elements, the actual art assets and models themselves, the core mechanics, even the text for the unlockables post-game. Playing verses during the credits in the first game that counted to your score was a surprise, a testament to the kind of thought and invention that went into crafting Bayonetta 1. Playing again this time, its just there because you expected it to be there. I played both games the first time around like I was reviewing a tech revision of the latest graphic card. "Ooh, there's some new fur effects this time. Ha, that's a clever idea. The lighting system is great in this area. Well that was pretty easy for a boss, did that on the first try. Gimmick sections are shorter this time, and the camera placement on the motorcycle/horse bit makes seeing upcoming obstacles easier, good iterative design improvement there. Not as many enemies on the CONGRATULATIONS screen this time around, or maybe they're all just bunched together."

Dereck

I haven't played 2 yet, still on 1, do I need to play 2's main mode to unlock Tag Climax?

Anyone willing to Tag Climax with me? My ID is Buttonup.

EDIT: Just saw the above post.

Man this started getting hard at around chapters 7-8. I'm playing on 3rd Climax and I'm now dying at least 3-4 times every chapter. I haven't really bought any weapons or accessories either, but should I be? I'm basically still playing with the same setup from the start of the game.

For crowd control you might want to try the whip or scythe.

Really disliking unskippable credits now, whether something is playable (Bayo1) or not (MGR), and worse when ranked fights are part of it. Get impatient waiting for the bits to pop. DMC3 did it perfectly (skippable, unranked fight)

I haven't played 2 yet, still on 1, do I need to play 2's main mode to unlock Tag Climax?

Anyone willing to Tag Climax with me? My ID is Buttonup.

EDIT: Just saw the above post.
You have to play through story mode to unlock verse cards for Tag Climax, so you may as well start story mode first.

Ladekabel

Finished Chapter XII and I wish that it will come to
Nintendo's next console
with a graphical update. While I still think Bayonetta 2 is pretty and colourful some textures are butt ugly.

Otherwise I'm having a blast. After wasting money on Selene's Light and some other things I don't need, I finally unlocked the Star Fox cosplay. I like that they use it in cutscenes, too, contrary to Mordor.

And with Salamandra and Alraune I might have found my favorite weapons. What combinations do you use?

Sayter

The cutscenes feel so much more distracting than last time. It might just be me. They're so long and frequent, Ive started skipping them. Shame. :(

The only criticism I have so far with Bayonetta 2 is that the cut scenes no longer show the current outfit that Bayonetta is wearing. In the cutscenes she's always wearing her default outfit.

Witch Trial V is gonna take a lot of practice I think.

I want to talk about the final boss:[/SPOILER]

I don't necessarily think he was bad as a boss, but at the same time they have you fighting this villain that I had no real investment in. The fight against Virgil in DMC3 is not particularly epic in scope, it's just two guys fighting in a small basin of water (granted it was in hell, but there wasn't a lot to the scenery other than some cool architecture.) But the fight was memorable because of what it represented and what you felt toward the characters. I didn't feel much of anything toward Loptr, he was just some annoying guy for most of the game. I suppose you could say he killed Bayonetta's mother, but even that was in a flashback and I can't say it did much for me. If he had been a more hateable villain then I think the fight could have been better on a conceptual level even if it was not massive in scope like other Platinum bosses.

K-A-Deman

Beat the game yesterday but I had stuff to do so I couldn't post my thoughts.

Holy crap did this game deliver. The levels were varied and fun, the music was top notch as always, and the weapons felt so satisfying to master and use. Some of my highlights;

The boss fight with Glamor on the water spiral and into Paradiso for the spectacle of the fights, the debris being thrown at you, and the fight against three (albeit two are severely depowered) Glamors in Paradiso itself.

The City of Noatun’s many underwater ruins. They were a bit of a pain to navigate in, but they always had this interesting feel and story to them, so finding out about
the ancient tsunami that wiped out half the city
made the way the city and ruins merge together all the more interesting. And while I’m at it, the way water was utilized in much of Noatun was a fascinating visual and concept.

Inferno itself. I thought they would try for the conventional never-ending plain of torment and pain, but I never thought they’d have it be broken up like that. It made for an interesting connection to Paradiso, but while Paradiso has some familiarity thanks to using real-world locations we visited or motifs we’ve seen, Inferno is all original, and uncomprehensible in it’s logics or progression. I’m sad we didn’t spend more time there for them to explore more world design although the ruins around the Gates of Hell were pretty cool and served an interesting purpose to the lore.

The weapons, although I’m still missing
Salamandora
, are all really fun to use and create new dynamics to approaching the game. I think my favorite combination is Raksasha on arms and Undine on feet, but since I don’t have all of them yet, I can’t make that final call.

The story was not really anything groundbreaking, but It was fun and made for a good backdrop for the crazy battles and events, like a story should. But the moments it tried to go heavier, like with
Rosa’s death
or
Balder’s corruption
felt pretty heartfelt and helped to make Bayonetta a more sympathetic character with vulnerabilities. Speaking of that…

Balder’s reveal to have been a genuinely heroic figure that loved his family might be seen as a cheap cop out by some, but I personally found it to make things better and more tragic. Balder in the first game was almost comically evil and it was suggested he started the Witch Hunts and exterminated the Sages out of zealotry and nihilistic principle. Making him a puppet for the machinations of the Angels and Loptr paints his actions in a new light, and while it may ruin some of the unbridled camp that the series runs on in favor of actual plot and character development, I think it was well ‘wasted’ and just further cements how distant the denizens of the Trinity of Realities are to each other.

While not a highlight, I disagree with the notion that Aesir is a weaker boss to Jubileus. While he obviously has less presence as Jubileus did (being a giantess in a sphere of power and all), it’s how he used his power that made things interesting, like summoning the Providence/Shirogane Comet to attack or reusing Balder’s Satellite. In addition, there’s the level of intimacy to the fight itself. Jubileus was feral and reacted on instinct to attack you using her raw powers to elevate her fight. Aesir was focused, and was intent on finishing off Bayonetta, and making him closer to human-sized with his own fighting style helped to cement that. And while sending his body to be eaten by Jeanne’s summon of Gommorah wasn’t as satisfying as sending Jubileus’ soul to the sun, it was more cathartic in a way to me, showing that the first demon to break out of the Witch’s control was back under reign.

All in all, I’m extremely satisfied with the game and can’t wait to play more to unlock the rest of the content.

DedValve

Banned
my only pure plat on NSIC is valor )':.
Been trying to beat this last witch trial for so many hours,only managed to get up to chapter 5, might need to start looking into accessories for some help

There are seriously loads of weapons

I'm near the end (chapter 16) and outside of missing 2 LPs I got the flame/ice thrower, dual swords, whip, scythe and maybe 1 more I'm forgetting. Either the LP's are that much harder to find (and the first 1 iirc hid them in some pretty bullshit places) or there are less overall.

There a guide to missing LPs out?

Mesoian

Anyone else having trouble keeping a combo going after red hot kick? That used to be my go to to get off the ground, now it seems like everything chains into a ground pound.

burgerdog

The only criticism I have so far with Bayonetta 2 is that the cut scenes no longer show the current outfit that Bayonetta is wearing. In the cutscenes she's always wearing her default outfit.

I knew it, they have to be pre rendered then and would explain the file size of the game.

mcmmaster

I'm not hearing the Moon River remix as much as I expected, they're using Tomorrow is Mine for all the battles and only used Moon River for the intro, I thought it would be the contrary.

That was my biggest disappointment, literally no Moon River. The 2 times that it was used was very brief, would it have killed them to swap it with Tomorrow is Mine now and then.

Neff

So, i think they could have gone a bit more crazy with Loptr,i still prefer Jubileus for some reasons including music, but at the same time Loptr is NOT a bad final boss at all.

JC already covered it pretty well.

Expecting something which tops W101 for spectacle is, like, completely futile. Because it's probably never going to happen, ever. And it's not even entirely necessary, because as pointed out, you can have an extremely impactful and thrilling small-scale final boss encounter, as evidenced by DMC3 and MGR. But in Bayo 2 I wanted something with a little gravity and substance, some sort of event, and Bayonetta 2's grand finale never happens, which in a PG game, especially in Bayo at that, is kinda surreal. There's no upping of the stakes, no master plan ace up the sleeve, no rug pull of expectations (offering surprises is something that Bayo 2 just isn't very good at for the most part, sadly, but that's another topic), just another iteration of a boss we've already fought, and uh, he's a bit faster and has a lot more energy. And then that's it. bayonetta 2 is finished. A good game is a good game, regardless of its denouement, and Bayonetta 2 is a damn good game, but that denouement is often what separates a great game from a classic, at least in terms of lasting impression. Kamiya's previous two games left you without wanting more from beginning to end, but when you do reach the 'end', despite being full to bursting, you're fucking force fed pure joy as the game winds to a close and beyond. It's a feeling Bayonetta 2 sorely lacks, as it ends with a bit of a pop instead of a big bang. If future evil Dick Van Dyke had an amazing repetoire of scary ass new moves for his final battle and was a cooler character than a transvestite from Tron (Tronsvestite?), then I'm sure we wouldn't be having this debate at all. But this is the Bayonetta 2 that's landed in our hands, and always will be. And after all the time we've been waiting for it, and the series/developer's pedigree, it does sting a tiny bit.

So yeah, great game, shit boss.

Astral Dog

I think going away from Jubileus was a smart idea actually. You probably not gonna top that or the intergalactic spectacle that was W101's finale, and I like the idea of a more personal, your size finish like DMC3/4/MGR/NGB/etc.

But he was still essentially Loptr/Prophet, which we had fought at least twice now. Armstrong, for example, what so out of left field, you were adapting to his cutscenes and crazy speeches and boss patterns on the fly. It was intense, hilarious, awesome experience. When the music kicks in, shit goes down.

With Bayo2, it was just...expected. Like you got to him, and it wasn't an exciting "THIS IS IT!" moment, it was "yeah this is probably the final boss. Oh he's got all Loptr's moves, ok. Damn, kinda fast on that palm move. Yep, here comes the big Father Balder satellite throw QTE. lol just kick his ass now I guess. Huh, throwing him in the mouth wasn't hard at all this time? ok then."

Bayonetta 2 on the whole had the same "problem" I had with Tropical Freeze, in that they were across the board excellent video games that improved on their great predecessors in several ways, but they were soooo similar they could pass for one another barring the HD sheen. Damn near the same game structure, plot progression, boss designs, UI elements, the actual art assets and models themselves, the core mechanics, even the text for the unlockables post-game. Playing verses during the credits in the first game that counted to your score was a surprise, a testament to the kind of thought and invention that went into crafting Bayonetta 1. Playing again this time, its just there because you expected it to be there. I played both games the first time around like I was reviewing a tech revision of the latest graphic card. "Ooh, there's some new fur effects this time. Ha, that's a clever idea. The lighting system is great in this area. Well that was pretty easy for a boss, did that on the first try. Gimmick sections are shorter this time, and the camera placement on the motorcycle/horse bit makes seeing upcoming obstacles easier, good iterative design improvement there. Not as many enemies on the CONGRATULATIONS screen this time around, or maybe they're all just bunched together."

Yeah he was fought three times, thats the worst thing i will say about him, at least he was a constant threat, other thing that was different from Jubileus, and i suspect budget could play a part in that, i think another huge monster before him was lacking, the game may had too many human sized bosses :p

Yes i agree, Bayonetta 2 has that problem, thats something i was sure would happen , for the simple reason its a sequel, Bayonetta 2 wasnt going to feel as fresh as the first, and the expectations would be much bigger than the first game, i knew Bayonetta 2 wouldnt surprass them, if they made it too different it wouldnt be Bayonetta, after all, and this was always more of the same on a similar powered system, the game HAD to be similar to Bayonetta in many ways.

PG could have delivered a more "innovative" or different game, instead they planned a game wich complements the first in a good way, and they did a good job on that.even without Kamiya,i think Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 are easily Platinum best games, and this is their first sequel to any of their titles.

For something truly new, we should look forward to Scalebound.

Ninja Dom

I really can't join this party until Wednesday and this is exactly MY type of game. Really hope that people are enjoying it as much as I thought they would.

Neff

Yes i agree, Bayonetta 2 has that problem, thats something i was sure would happen, for the simple reason its a sequel, Bayonetta 2 wasnt going to feel as fresh as the first, and the expectations would be much bigger than the first game, i knew Bayonetta 2 wouldnt surprass them, if they made it too different it wouldnt be Bayonetta, after all, and this was always more of the same on a similar powered system, the game HAD to be similar to Bayonetta in many ways.

PG could have delivered a more "innovative" or different game, instead they planned a game wich complements the first in a good way, and they did a good job on that.even without Kamiya,i think Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 are easily Platinum best games, and this is their first sequel to any of their games.

I was expecting something like the jump from DMC1 to DMC3, or DMC3 to DMC4. Bayonetta 2 doesn't even represent that jump imo. It feels more like Sonic 1 to Sonic 2, or Megaman 1 to... you get the picture.

I'd still give the nod to W101 as PG's best game so far.

impact

Banned
Every cutscene so far:

Loki: Blah Blah Blah, love.
Bayonetta: Blah Blah Blah, little one.

repeat and repeat and repeat...

Skip every cutscene and
every
this game becomes better

Yeah he was fought three times, thats the worst thing i will say about him, at least he was a constant threat, other thing that was different from Jubileus, and i suspect budget could play a part in that, i think another huge monster before him was lacking, the game may had too many human sized bosses :p

Yes i agree, Bayonetta 2 has that problem, thats something i was sure would happen , for the simple reason its a sequel, Bayonetta 2 wasnt going to feel as fresh as the first, and the expectations would be much bigger than the first game, i knew Bayonetta 2 wouldnt surprass them, if they made it too different it wouldnt be Bayonetta, after all, and this was always more of the same on a similar powered system, the game HAD to be similar to Bayonetta in many ways.

PG could have delivered a more "innovative" or different game, instead they planned a game wich complements the first in a good way, and they did a good job on that.even without Kamiya,i think Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 are easily Platinum best games, and this is their first sequel to any of their titles.

Say it ain't so. I hope that game turns out great, as it'll be the only PG game I won't play :[

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'd still give the nod to W101 as PG's best game so far.

Nah

I feel 101 is too inaccessible

It's pretty much a PG game for PG fans only. Probably the first game of there's I felt didn't adhere to their "pick up and feels good to play" philosophy.

A lot of my friends who had negative impressions of 101 are loving this game. Listening to their comparisons of the two games really highlights what Bayonetta does so well and where 101 falls short.

Top Bottom