• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

KHlover

Banned
Haha I love the "Angel of third sphere" climax cards. 32k for a fight I'll end in ten seconds with Umbran Climax? I'll take it. Even as a total scrub I still end up with give or take 100k per Tag Climax run. How much do you guys who are actually skillful earn?

Also noticed a pretty nasty bug in the AI in Tag Climax. Using the double swords they charge up their X attack but never actually release it. Great on farm runs since it guarantees I win the round, but devastating when I attempt boss fights :/

Zomba13

Well.... um.. I didn't expect that.

Tag climax and final actual game boss spoilers:
Aesir 3 star is FUCKING INSANE Loptr, Prophet Aesir and God Aesir at once.

ZeroX03

Banned
The opening cutscene in the game is so much better in contrast to bayonetta 1 where they just designed one small area in a graveyard

It's not just stylish cutscenes. Everything is clearer thanks to the more colorful visuals. Which in turn makes combat easier to read. The controls are better. Areas are more open. Camera is better. Attacking and combos just feels tighter. It's great.

TEJ

This game is such a huge improvement over Bayo 1. Based Hashimoto.

The level designs are less interesting....not to say that Bayo 1 was good in this regard but....eh.

not enough
moon river. srsly it only plays like a few times in the game

otherwise it's gr8

but i gotta admit, the online multi is smooth as fuck. Dat platinum polish. Just imagine Vanquish 2 with the same level of online multi polish.....a man can dream can't he?

Zomba13

The level designs are less interesting....not to say that Bayo 1 was good in this regard but....eh.

not enough
moon river. srsly it only plays like a few times in the game

otherwise it's gr8

but i gotta admit, the online multi is smooth as fuck. Dat platinum polish. Just imagine Vanquish 2 with the same level of online multi polish.....a man can dream can't he?

That is literally my biggest complaint about the game. No joke.

Oh, and I guess no Santa Rodin in Tag Climax.

Zomba13

That's it for me for now dragonlife. Fantastic games. We really need to try that
3 star Aesir
again though.

You can earn halos in Tag Climax?

Shoot, and here I was planning on waiting until after I beat the game to check that mode out.

Best way to earn them. Can very easilly get over 100000 a run by just picking the easiest ones and putting them up to 2 stars (it helps having a good AoE weapon, the swords, scythe and whip in your hands work very well). Just do the AoE attack (circle on the stick and punch) over and over and umbran climax on the "harder" ones. Almost feels like cheating though you need 9999999 for the Platinum Ticket so I don't feel bad grinding it out like that.

That's it for me for now dragonlife. Fantastic games. We really need to try that
3 star Aesir
again though.
GGs! I'll definitely have to be Bayo for that one; I'm not getting any better with Jeanne's Witch Times. But when they do come out... so lengthy!

Zomba13

I really need to go though all the Tag climax verses on 3 stars to see what other surprises they throw at you. I still can't get over that one.

Platinum secretly made a horror game with Bayonetta 2 because the fear is real when picking verse cards. Three-stars are basically asking for a game over. We'll just have to pick three-stars in the beginning to soften the blow :p

Zomba13

Platinum secretly made a horror game with Bayonetta 2 because the fear is real when picking verse cards. Three-stars are basically asking for a game over. We'll just have to pick three-stars in the beginning to soften the blow :p

Yeah, start with them and if you win, great, if you lose, eh, just some halos gone. I don't think anything will top that big one though. Unless
Rodin's
verse at 3 stars gives you a boss rush of the whole game. At the same time.

TEJ

The feeling in tag climax when
moon river starts playing and you're kicking ass

Such a damned good feeling

ArynCrinn

Banned
Wow, just dug into Bayo 2 after beating Bayo 1 on Hard and unlocking 98% of the stuff. And wow, 1st and 2nd Climax diff is basically Very Easy/Easy, I had to start over on 3rd Climax. Also the Alfheim...err Mefheim challenges seem to be a lot easier at least in the first two/three chapters, or is it just me? Umbran Climax def seems OP on 1st and 2nd Climax, so hopefully 3rd fixes that along with Hard and beyond.

Also, accidentally deleted my 30 hour Infinite Climax Bayo 1 save (saving after beating Hard), trying to go through Easy really fast to grab the bracelet only to totally forget and wipe my Hard mode completed save file accidentally... So yeah, 30 hours of work for nothing, why the hell can't Nintendo just allow 100% save files to be downloaded and used off SD cards or USB flash drives, I got vids to record damnit! At least I beat Father Rodin Pure Platinum using Sangfong + Bracelet of Time + Climax Bracelet recorded and a bunch of other Hard mode Pure Platinum's. *sigh* :(

Edit: Please tell me there's a Nunchaku analog in this game to the Sangfong! Was my fav weapon.

mrmickfran

The first 4 witch trials were pretty easy, I even got Platinum rank on all of them.

As for the fifth one, I got slaughtered within the first 10 seconds.

It's called Resentment. It's the snake-like demon with the mutated right arm. The attack you're talking about is the very first thing it does in the fight where you first encounter it.

Yeah, like dragonlife, I didn't see it until I was doing the witch trials yesterday and died to it then. I was very confused.

Monocle

OMFG, I just unlocked the two bonus characters for Tag Climax in a pair of back-to-back quick matches. I don't know if I got incredibly lucky or if the random verse cards are fairly common, but I'm pumped. (Edit: Wow, and the
Bayonetta and Jeanne
card just showed up when I was messing around with a CPU partner! Turns out
Rodin is as strong as he's portrayed in story mode, because he cleaned them up no problem.
Also, that win quote...
"Best not to fuck with dudes with face tattoos."
Aww yeah.)

I beat 3rd Climax today as well, which netted me
Mamanetta (AKA Rosa, lol) and that adorable, wicked strong Chain Chomp weapon.
Hell yes! And here I was worrying it would take too long to bag all of the playable characters.

My only real concern now is getting the Climax Brace for that sweet infinite magic. There's a lot of contradictory information out there. Michellegun201, the awesome player on YouTube, claims it shows up in the shop after you collect all of the crows (giving you 20 tears of blood), but I already did that and no brace!

On the other hand, I found a couple of sites that say you have to earn all 50 tears of blood, meaning 30 achievement thingies and 20 crows. I sure hope they're wrong because some of the achievements seem way harder than Bayonetta 1's. Like, I don't even want to think about killing all the enemies in the
final level's jet fighter shmup
, or beating the Chapter 12 boss with no damage. And I'd rather not try to tackle Nonstop Infinite Climax immediately. I'm pretty decent at this game but not good enough to keep my health up against the faster and trickier enemies on higher difficulties.

Oh, and at least one other site says the Climax Brace is unlocked by getting all Platinums on 2nd Climax, while the Climax Brace 2 is unlocked by doing the same in 3rd Climax. WTF! Get it straight, people.

Son Of D

Do we know if there are secret weapons that are unlocked by special requirements? Thinking along the lines of Sai-Fung and Pillow Talk from the first game. Put the answer in spoiler tags if need be.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Do we know if there are secret weapons that are unlocked by special requirements? Thinking along the lines of Sai-Fung and Pillow Talk from the first game. Put the answer in spoiler tags if need be.

Would like to know this also, all Bayo games need that hidden Bruce Lee badass weapon! Sai-Fung FTW! So far, looking at videos of all the weapons, it looks like the roster was massively scaled down.. So here's hoping there's some hidden unlockables still to figure out... Otherwise massively disappointed on that, part of the fun of Bayo 1 was all the eventual weapon variety and experimentation.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
OMFG, I just unlocked the two bonus characters for Tag Climax in a pair of back-to-back quick matches. I don't know if I got incredibly lucky or if the random verse cards are fairly common, but I'm pumped. (Edit: Wow, and the
Bayonetta and Jeanne
card just showed up when I was messing around with a CPU partner! Turns out
Rodin is as strong as he's portrayed in story mode, because he cleaned them up no problem.
Also, that win quote...
"Best not to fuck with dudes with face tattoos."
Aww yeah.)

I beat 3rd Climax today as well, which netted me
Mamanetta (AKA Rosa, lol) and that adorable, wicked strong Chain Chomp weapon.
Hell yes! And here I was worrying it would take too long to bag all of the playable characters.

My only real concern now is getting the Climax Brace for that sweet infinite magic. There's a lot of contradictory information out there. Michellegun201, the awesome player on YouTube, claims it shows up in the shop after you collect all of the crows (giving you 20 tears of blood), but I already did that and no brace!

On the other hand, I found a couple of sites that say you have to earn all 50 tears of blood, meaning 30 achievement thingies and 20 crows. I sure hope they're wrong because some of the achievements seem way harder than Bayonetta 1's. Like, I don't even want to think about killing all the enemies in the
final level's jet fighter shmup
, or beating the Chapter 12 boss with no damage. And I'd rather not try to tackle Nonstop Infinite Climax immediately. I'm pretty decent at this game but not good enough to keep my health up against the faster and trickier enemies on higher difficulties.

Oh, and at least one other site says the Climax Brace is unlocked by getting all Platinums on 2nd Climax, while the Climax Brace 2 is unlocked by doing the same in 3rd Climax. WTF! Get it straight, people.

I'll look in the guide when I get back home

kick51

Banned
Can't find your NNID on Miiverse. D:

For all the posts above, I added all of you! The more the merrier for some future Bayo gameplay!

uh oh, lemme check on that. I set up the NNID, but haven't done any miiverse stuff. I sort of rushed my set up of the console so I could play this lol

Monocle

Would like to know this also, all Bayo games need that hidden Bruce Lee badass weapon! Sai-Fung FTW! So far, looking at videos of all the weapons, it looks like the roster was massively scaled down.. So here's hoping there's some hidden unlockables still to figure out... Otherwise massively disappointed on that, part of the fun of Bayo 1 was all the eventual weapon variety and experimentation.
Even if there are no super secret hidden weapons, the roster is just fine. Here's a list of what's known so far:

Love is Blue (dual pistols)
Rakshasa (dual swords)
Takemikazuchi (hammer)
Alruna (dual whips)
Kafka (bow)
Chernobog (scythe)
Undine (flame/ice throwers)
Salamandra (dual chainsaws)
Shuraba (Bayo 1 katana)
Scarborough Fair (Bayo 1 dual pistols)
Handguns (weak dual pistols)
Chain Chomp (adorable wrecking ball)
Unforgiven (Rosa's dual pistols, exclusive to that character; they pack the punch of shotguns)
Rodin (hybrid of all angel and demon enemy weapons)

I'd call that outstanding variety, especially considering how only a handful of weapons are similar to one another.

I'll look in the guide when I get back home
Thanks!

BTW, can you check if it says anything about getting four magic bars? Michellegun201 has that many on some of his or her videos. I've collected all of the Moon Pearl fragments and I only have three.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Even if there are no super secret hidden weapons, the roster is just fine. Here's a list of what's known so far:

Love is Blue (dual pistols)
Rakshasa (dual swords)
Takemikazuchi (hammer)
Alruna (dual whips)
Kafka (bow)
Chernobog (scythe)
Undine (flame/ice throwers)
Salamandra (dual chainsaws)
Shuraba (Bayo 1 katana)
Scarborough Fair (Bayo 1 dual pistols)
Handguns (weak dual pistols)
Chain Chomp (adorable wrecking ball)
Unforgiven (Rosa's dual pistols, exclusive to that character; they pack the punch of shotguns)
Rodin (hybrid of all angel and demon enemy weapons)

I'd call that outstanding variety, especially considering how only a handful of weapons are similar to one another.

Thanks!

Never forget!
Nunchakus are a must! Damnit, they better be unlockable by some means, same goes for dat Lightsaber! Ninja Gaiden did them best first, then Bayo 1 bested it, to leave that out of the sequel would suck... Being able to equip dual Sai-Fung to hands and feet would a a awesome addition, with more Bruce Lee kai charge-ups!

Monocle

Never forget!
Nunchakus are a must! Damnit, they better be unlockable by some means, same goes for dat Lightsaber! Ninja Gaiden did them best first, then Bayo 1 bested it, to leave that out of the sequel would suck... Being able to equip dual Sai-Fung to hands and feet would a a awesome addition, with more Bruce Lee kai charge-ups!
Actually I couldn't agree more. God tier weapon. I'm really fond of the laser pistols (Bazillions) too.

oti

Banned
Played through that game in one sitting! That was awesome! Just one more chapter, just one more chapter and voila, done. Loved it but I'm not planning on replaying the story for better weapons and such, just not my kinda thing.

N° 2048

Played straight through to chapter 6 last night. My eyes just couldn't stay open after a long work day but man I wanted to keep going. Can't wait to finish it today.

Monocle

I cant beat
Balder
on infinite climax mode

too hard : (
Humble suggestion from a non-expert: Salamandra on hands and feet, Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa and Eternal Testimony for your accessories. Got myself a Platinum on 3rd Climax with that setup, first try. (My other weapon set was Kafka and Alruna, but I barely used them. I keep this set handy for most bosses though because Kafka keeps your combo going at range and Alruna has great reach and can grapple anything during Witch Time and Umbran Climax.)

Oh, and replace Eternal Testimony with the Earrings of Ruin if you have them, because they wreck everything, period. (Also good for making your Tag Climax partners sad when you take all their kills.)

ArynCrinn

Banned
I'll go even further than that, if you equip Sai-Fung to both A/B weapon slots (all 4), you enter a mode where the ZL (left trigger whatever it's called) enters into a Bruce Lee-esque "ping-pong" sort of Witch Time when dealing with projectiles when timed correctly, including directing the projectiles. And when normally pressing ZL it just smacks enemies around in different combo's+weaves. THAT would be fucking amazing as a earned reward for skilled play!

correojon

Finished my first playthrough of Bayo2 last night, 2nd Climax. I think it´s easier than Bayo1, I only died 3 or 4 times in all the playthrough and all the deaths were due to instakill attacks (except one death in the final boss). I´m no master, in fact I have to relearn dodge offset ´cause I almost didn´t use it in all the game, so I was surprised at blazing through the game with so little trouble. I died a lot on my first playthrough of Bayo 1 on Normal, but this may also be because of all the ways to regain health in 2, that helped a lot.

BAD
  • Some enemies have attacks that instakill you...I don´t like that at all.
  • Infinite Climax is a 'Win button'.
  • Muspelgheims (sp?) were too easy. There were 1 or 2 more difficult, but I completed the vast majority on the first try, with the limited equipment you have in the first playthrough.
  • Checkpoints that kill exploration: sometimes you had different paths to take: one will probably take you to a hidden Muspelgheim, a piece of heart of something, but if you take the wrong path you trigger a cutscene, the game advances and you can´t go back to check the other path. It adds to the replay value but is a bit frustrating.

GOOD
  • Everything else. This game is fantastic, they polished everything that didn´t work in 1 which already was a masterpiece and released a true tribute to gamers.
  • Practice mode with enemies! :D :D :D
  • The Lost Chapter is awesome, it truly forces you to 'git gud'. Love it.
  • Now you can use Angelic Weapons and your custom weapon setup at the same time, instead of them replacing your normal attacks like in B1. HUGE combat design improvement with such a small change.
  • The story, cheesy at it may be, allowed for one of the greatest YEAHH!! moments I´ve had in gaming:
    when you fight in the falling clockwork tower which is the starting point of Bayo 1. I was with a big smile on my face through all the scene.
  • The story also gave depth and motivations to some important characters, fleshing the Bayo universe to a bigger degree,
    specially Balder: after playing B1 I thought he had used Bayo´s mother as a mean of conceiving the child that would wield the left eye, but now I see his actions in B1 have real ground and I no longer think of him as such a big jerk. Quite the opposite, he´s turned out to become one of my favourite characters. He really loved Rosa, cared for Cereza and made the ultimate sacrifice at the end of Bayo2.
  • The references to other games and stuff:
    the Valiantium blade, the game Rodin plays where you springle magic powder on a chicken, the jet borrowed form Alex Kidd, the 'ask your mom' taunt and many more things :)
    These little details are great, I wonder why no other developer does this kind of things.

Some questions regarding the story:
How did
young Balder get to Bayonetta´s time
in the first place? I may have missed this...

I´ve seen many people here saying that the end of Bayo 2 leaves the plot set for a possible Bayo 3. But,
I think the end scene pretty clearly leaves everything set for the events that happened in Bayo 1 instead of a new Bayo 3. Balder travels to the past, is corrupted and starts his search of the left eye. Am I missing something?

What control setting are you guys using? I´m playing on the gamepad with the standard setting, but I may switch Evade to a different button, I feel like the deadzone of the trigger is too wide. Any suggestions?

Such a great game, I´m going to be playing the hell out of this for the next months.

Top Bottom