• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

correojon

TyrantGuardian said:
Actually, you can Umbran Climax out of the child transformation. I try to actively save it as an "oh shit" button around those dudes.
I did that once prey of desperation XD Right now when I see one of these enemies I shit my pants and go into braindead button mashing mode to kill them before they try that attack...it usually doesn´t turn out good. I´ll follow your approach from now on, just knowing that I have a way of escaping that attack will probably help me fight better against them. Thanks for the tip!

You keep saying instakill... Are you talking about failing a QTE? You're playing on normal mode, I'm reasonably sure that as long as you're collecting enough Witch Hearts there isn't an instakill attack from the normal enemies. Can you clarify?
I mean those enemies that turn you into a child and the attack from the boss that gives you the whip that instantly warps you from existance.

Infinite Climax, are you talking about the Climax Brace? Yes, it is the "easy win" button, that's why your scores aren't recorded when using it.
I was talking about Umbran Climax, sorry :p

Your other points are totally valid. Muspelheim challenges don't hold a candle to the Alfheim challenges in Bayo 1, though honestly I think it's for the better because there were some bullshit Alfheim challenges.
Yeah some Alfheim where impossible, but I was a bit sorry I completed all challenges so soon. I love how this game presents you with an impossible challenge and after weeks of trying you become better and overcome it. The tension and all the effort you have put into them make them memorable and when you finally beat them it´s a really great sensation...Well, we got the Witch Trials instead so all is good :)

Four more bewitchments to go, loving this game, and the online is way more fun than I thought. Time to finish with those platinum's!

Also after playing tag climax and unlocking Balder, I really wish he had more stuff like alternate equipment and accessories, he's so much fun to play as.

OK, after thinking a little more about this

I actually agree that on the whole the ending was very good, especially getting to fight side by side with both of Bayonetta's parents (and finding out that her mother was a kickass, gold-revolver using, mech riding witch). The story is still a great ride especially if you care about the universe and its characters.

From a gameplay standpoint I went in expecting Platinum to try and make a very similar game to Bayonetta 1, but top it. What they've actually done is made a system that's similar on a surface level but functions very differently under the hood. This is probably a better idea because it means that playing both games is still worthwhile as you'll get different things out of each of them.

Kriken

Finished the game last night (Was too tired to post after finishing) holy shit was that amazing. While the story was nothing to shake a stick at (Who plays Bayonetta for story?) I really enjoyed the gameplay and felt it was overall better than Bayo 1. The mech didn't click with me, but it wasn't that long so I brushed it off, will probably try to master it later. Liked the weapons better than the first game granted I used builds with Rakshasa for about 80% of my playthrough. Overall, it beats out Tropical Freeze, Smash 3DS and Shadow of Mordor for my personal GoTY.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go grind halos in the tag climax mode to unlock everything else

Seik

Banned
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go grind halos in the tag climax mode to unlock everything else

If you want to play with fellow GAFers, you can always add your name to the list. I'll add most of you later tonight when I'll be back from work, the more the merrier. :)

I've made a Google document for us who want to climax play co-op together. I've contacted the OP to add it to the OT, for now quote to reveal here.

Curufinwe

bayonetta 2 might be easier then bayo1 but I think, for my instance playing bayonetta over the weekend honed my skills for bayo2

I played the first six chapters of B1 to get my skills back.

I forgot how easy it was to miss verses when you aren't following a guide. Is Bayonetta 2 like that?

Seik

Banned
I played the first six chapters of B1 to get my skills back.

I forgot how easy it was to miss verses when you aren't following a guide. Is Bayonetta 2 like that?

Oh yeah, it is exactly like that.

Thinking about buying the guide for that, and for collection purposes. :p

Curufinwe

I might follow a spoiler-free guide then.

For B1 I had the Limited Edition guide and did every verse the first time thru. Some of the AP's were tough, but it was worth doing.

Astral Dog

I actually agree that on the whole the ending was very good, especially getting to fight side by side with both of Bayonetta's parents (and finding out that her mother was a kickass, gold-revolver using, mech riding witch). The story is still a great ride especially if you care about the universe and its characters.

From a gameplay standpoint I went in expecting Platinum to try and make a very similar game to Bayonetta 1, but top it. What they've actually done is made a system that's similar on a surface level but functions very differently under the hood. This is probably a better idea because it means that playing both games is still worthwhile as you'll get different things out of each of them.

I agree it was like Platinum didnt even tried to up the spectacle from the first game in the ending, you know, maybe what the ending lacked was a final fight with possessed Balder, using some of Aesir moves, that would make it more personal and had another surprising fight at the end.although it kinda happens in the first game,

I mean those enemies that turn you into a child and the attack from the boss that gives you the whip that instantly warps you from existance.

Oh, Resentment! I honestly dodged out of the first casting of the attack and from then on it seemed like every combo stunned him, so I never really had trouble with that. XD

Sorry, it had sounded like you were making the statement about a lot of enemies.

Yeah some Alfheim where impossible, but I was a bit sorry I completed all challenges so soon. I love how this game presents you with an impossible challenge and after weeks of trying you become better and overcome it. The tension and all the effort you have put into them make them memorable and when you finally beat them it´s a really great sensation...Well, we got the Witch Trials instead so all is good :)

Well if you're going for a perfect playthrough, or at least aiming for a Platinum on the harder modes, you do have to do the challenges every time you run through a chapter because they all count as Verses. So you'll be enjoying them on the harder difficulties too.

is there a buff to wearing Umbran Elegance for a weapon?

No, just the cosmetic change.

KHlover

Banned
Are those the twin blades? I haven't bought any weapons.
No it's an accessory. It allows you to block attacks if you move your stick in the direction of an incoming attack when it is about to connect. Depending on your timing you'll even enter witch time.

I feel like it has been nerfed a bit compared to Bayonetta 1, but if you mash your stick there's still a good chance you'll block most attacks. Even better when you actually get good with it XD

Bayo1 example: Went from dying once per form of Father Balder at least to outright killing him while losing about a quarter of my health total within 5 minutes. Costs 200k at Rodin's shop, so you might want to do some 3rd Sphere angels with 2* on Tag Climax first to get halos.

Beat the game Saturday.

I am so glad I went on a semi-media blackout (avoided trailers but not prologue gameplay)

Craving seconds on Bayo2 gameplay so I'm going thru the trailers I missed. That "The Time has Come" trailer that was at the end of the direct was super spoiler heavy.

Like damn.
Would have made the experience more of a check list than a wonderful joy ride to explore.

I wonder if those who were a little disappointed with the game spoiled themselves on the big set pieces.

I thought the final boss was better than Bayo1 but it was missing the spectacle.

Maybe if the setting was out in another dimension or some other trippy visual would have added to make the fight more memorable. His design and the fact that you could fight him toe to toe made the gameplay better than Bayo1's Final Boss, but the epic feel of Bayo2's fight was kind of lost due to the low-key location (imo).

FtHTiny

The fight with the
masked sage
was great. So much happening and looking so good. Hoping the game goes on like this.

Seik

Banned
The fight with the
masked sage
was great. So much happening and looking so good. Hoping the game goes on like this.

I remember doing it for the first time, I was arguing with a friend that Bayonetta had a scale similar to God of War. I didn't believe me, then I reached that fight.

''It's not that great...'' He said in a trollish voice, to make me angry. Because he knows I'm seeing this game as the second coming. :p

Majestad

Banned
People were not kidding when they say every boss fight could be a last boss in any other game. Holy shit at the past chapters (I just finished 7).

Mupod

I kinda switched from umbran climax to torture attacks around halfway through. Enemy weapons are super useful in this one, and occasional extra health was nice. I use umbran climax for crowd control or big enemies who can't be tortured, obviously.

I like that items aren't a complete fuck you to your ranking as well. I'm not exactly chugging lollipops but now I'll use one to save my life whereas with the old system it was just 'welp, guess I'm using a continue and getting a Stone award this time'.

I was a bit disappointed to find out how close I am to the end. I don't know how long the last two chapters are, but the game felt like it just flew by. It's exactly what I wanted from a sequel to the first game - it took out all the shit I didn't like and gave me more of the stuff I DID like. In particular the amount of unlockables is incredible. I'll be playing on infinite climax for sure.

Tried out the online last night briefly too...I didn't even know this game HAD online. It's pretty fun but my partner had tiny health and kept dying. I also feel a bit bad when I win every round, weird that it's not pure co-op. It'd be great with a friend though. Main issue is that it's hard to tell what the hell's going on sometimes.

Unit24

Does anybody else experience weirdly high amounts of slowdown in Bayonetta 1? This started happening to me on the 360 version originally, and I thought having it on Wii-U would fix this, but I'm getting the same problem. It makes the game feel way slower and less responsive, and it changes the timing required for the combos.

Also, I really wish there was an option to play Bayo 1 with Bayo 2 controls. I keep changing weapons when I mean to lock on.

kick51

Banned
maybe Umbran Climax is OP on second climax, but I got hit out of it/wasted it plenty of times on 3rd.

3rd is this game's normal, it feels like. The mode where the game's systems are all put to use and balanced out.

Does anybody else experience weirdly high amounts of slowdown in Bayonetta 1? This started happening to me on the 360 version originally, and I thought having it on Wii-U would fix this, but I'm getting the same problem. It makes the game feel way slower and less responsive, and it changes the timing required for the combos.

Also, I really wish there was an option to play Bayo 1 with Bayo 2 controls. I keep changing weapons when I mean to lock on.

where and when? I just played the first 4 chapters with no problems.

The input time for Bayo 1 is a little slower and requires better timing.

KHlover

Banned

Mapping Lock-On to R has to be one of the most mind-boggling control scheme decisions I've ever seen. Completely destroyed the Lock-On in Bayonetta 1 for me as I couldn't lock on and dodge offset at the same time for shit. So bad :/

Unit24

maybe Umbran Climax is OP on second climax, but I got hit out of it/wasted it plenty of times on 3rd.

3rd is this game's normal, it feels like. The mode where the game's systems are all put to use and balanced out.

where and when? I just played the first 4 chapters with no problems.

The input time for Bayo 1 is a little slower and requires better timing.

I'm on chapter VI, and the rain completely ruined the game's performance. Everything was basically in slow motion, though it's subtle if you're not fighting anything. It generally slows down when there's a lot going on. The final Jeanne fight was basically unplayable last time I tried it on 360.

Seik

Banned

The only big slowdown I felt was during the first fight against Fortitudo (in the past) when both dragon heads are taking the left/right part of the platform and the middle prepares a big ass laser.

Other than that, I can't pronounce myself because I'm only at chapter 5, been playing Bayo 2 for the rest of the week-end. :p

Rnr1224

I found 2nd climax to be a bit too easy. I never actually died during the game but I did use items a bit. Looks like 3rd climax is the one to play. is the difference between the two pretty huge?

Raxus

Is Bayonetta 2 easier than 1? Because I got stone awards the whole way through 1 and I've been doing really well in 2.

It's hard to tell since the foundation of Bayonetta 1 carries over and same applies with it's tricks so I don't miss as many battles in chapters and I can do well in most combat scenarios. I'd say if you have played Bayonetta 1 than starting on 3rd Climax is a must.

It also helps using items no longer effects ranking and is now more of a personal goal.

Strider

HOLY SHIIIT. I've only done the prologue and Chapter 1 and this is my GOTY already lol Been playing Bayo 1 since Friday and it's a good game (slightly overhyped) but this is an improvement right from the start.

Grisby

Playing as
Jeanne
is interesting. Definitely makes the game harder for me. Never did unlock anyone else in Bayonetta 1.

Unit24

I think Bayo 2 is easier because it's more fair. There's no bullshit QTE's, it's a bit clearer when enemies are about to hit you, the bosses are less dependent on contextual button presses, the framerate is more consistent, and everything feels generally more responsive.

andymcc

Banned
Help me out here guys, why am I so sure I've seen this motherfucker before?

He gives off both Gurren Lagann and W101 vibes and I'd swear he's an obvious reference to something, but ultimately I can't quite place him. This has been nagging me for days. Maybe I've just seen him in a trailer?

Reminds me of Zereul from Evangelion.

8scuu5e.png

I think Bayo 2 is easier because it's more fair. There's no bullshit QTE's, it's a bit clearer when enemies are about to hit you, the bosses are less dependent on contextual button presses, the framerate is more consistent, and everything feels generally more responsive.

Bayo2 is easier only because everyone went thru the tutorial labeled Bayonetta (1)

kiryogi

Banned

I'll say my only gameovers this time around were QTEs. Which I'm pretty sure were part of the problem for me too in Bayo 1.

Raxus

This helps a ton too. Even bosses have clearer wind ups for attacks. The only one that threw me off is
Gamorrah's Tail whip
in the Prologue.

Fandangox

Yeah its this pretty much.

It was kind of dumb to do so well in the first Bayo just to suddenly lose a QTE.

KHlover

Banned
This helps a ton too. Even bosses have clearer wind ups for attacks. The only one that threw me off is
Gamorrah's Tail whip
in the Prologue.

For me so far it's that Centaur in Full Plate armor with the lava whip in Chapter...uh, 7 or 8? My only death in the game (yet) lol

Dice//

Banned
Does anyone have any tips for time bonuses during bosses? I can combo generally fine, but a few bosses I've gotten the bronze (or even stone -___- ) "awards". I'm not really too share what you need to do to "kill faster".

I'm actually finding it less clear on enemy attacks. There seems to be more going on in this game visually, so sometimes it's been difficult for me to separate one thing from the next on screen. I agree with the rest though.

kick51

Banned
the end of ch.4, while cool, is the definition of unclear visual mess.

otherwise, things are more clear and inputs easier.

Dreavus

Man, I totally had my hopes up for Platinum to fully model Bowser (Have him do the headbutt at the end of a Climax PPPPP combo) when using the Peach costume, but perhaps that was a little too much to expect. The wicked weaves are still awesome as hell though.

Squishy3

Mapping Lock-On to R has to be one of the most mind-boggling control scheme decisions I've ever seen. Completely destroyed the Lock-On in Bayonetta 1 for me as I couldn't lock on and dodge offset at the same time for shit. So bad :/
In Bayo 1 they realized that and that's why when you lock-on you can dodge by pressing a direction + jump. :p

I'm actually finding it less clear on enemy attacks. There seems to be more going on in this game visually, so sometimes it's been difficult for me to separate one thing from the next on screen. I agree with the rest though.

I usually just look for flashing eyes or other visuals rather than the attack itself.

Anybody have a list of the LP (weapons) pieces? I'm missing a couple.

Holy crap man, finished Bayonetta yesterday and absolutely loved it but Bayonetta 2... Sweet Jesus, that 4th chapter boss was outstanding, what the fuck am I playing... what a game. Beautiful.

Exile20

I bought Bayo 2 with the $30 best buy GCU and played Bayo 1 for a few minutes last night. I really want to skip it and go straight to Bayo 2.

Top Bottom