• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

I bought Bayo 2 with the $30 best buy GCU and played Bayo 1 for a few minutes last night. I really want to skip it and go straight to Bayo 2.

Don't. Bayonetta is a great game. I understand the feeling since I had it as well but it's worth to play it first. After playing the second one I think I'd find it harder to go back to the first, so definitely play it before jumping into Bayo 2.

Does anyone know whats up with Bayonetta 2 at Walmart? Called two different stores one said they had no shelf space for it the other said "I think it comes out tomorrow"

The TV commercial on YouTube is at 611k views! Anyone see the commercial on other channels other than Toonami, Adult Swim and NBC?

Also the YT commercial is still an autoplay ad right?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so game hasn't showed up today

nice knowing you guys
sonatine-04.gif

Dreavus

So for those who have unlocked them... Are
Balder and Rodin
Tag climax only, or can you go through story mode chapters with them as well?

My copy arrived today. I'll probably start with the first one just to compare it quickly to the 360. And then time to say goodbye to life as I know it for awhile.

Zomba13

So for those who have unlocked them... Are
Balder and Rodin
Tag climax only, or can you go through story mode chapters with them as well?

Yup Tag Climax only sadly. Would love to give the main game a go with them buuut I do kinda see how it would be odd.
With the game keeping Bayo's VA and animations for cutscenes. I don't think Balder and Rodin are rigged the same so it would have taken a lot of extra work compared to Jeanne and Rosa.

Yup Tag Climax only sadly. Would love to give the main game a go with them buuut I do kinda see how it would be odd.
With the game keeping Bayo's VA and animations for cutscenes. I don't think Balder and Rodin are rigged the same so it would have taken a lot of extra work compared to Jeanne and Rosa.

They could have just removed the cutscenes. Doesn't DMC3 do that with Vergil? Pretty stupid decision imo, especially as there's no practice mode for Rodin/Balder.

Slight story detail spoiler:
Nice touch with having Loki, representing Light guiding Bayonetta and Loptr representing Darkness guiding Balder. Fits really well with the game's theme about balance.

Seik

Banned
I didn't try this yet (can't now since I'm at work), but I was wondering...

Can Tag Climax be played (with a CPU) even if the console is offline?

Because I wonder if this mode will be future proof for the days when the Wii U's online infrastructure will be long gone, it's legit good.

What would be even better would be some kind of way to play with other people in LAN, but I guess that's just daydreaming.

StuBurns

Banned
Finished it an hour ago or so. I was very impressed, I think it's stronger than the first, although not by all that much, but more importantly, hugely better than Rising and W101, both of which I didn't care for.

Until nearer the end, I was really happy with the conservative use of
vehicles
, but they kind of blew that by the end. It's great to see QTEs completely removed though, and they didn't abuse the reuse of bosses to the extent the original did, and generally there was an improvement in the art I think, although it was still bad. The one big complaint for me was that I didn't find it nearly as charming writing-wise as the original. Loki is incredibly irritating, where as Cereza was super cute, and the way Bayonetta related to her was a lot funnier.

I think it's a fantastic game, certainly the most fun I've had with a character action game, very impressive. I applaud you Platinum.

EDIT: Forgot to say, the other really bad thing is the game is insanely easy on the middle difficulty. I literally only died three times, and two of those really don't count to me
they were by that demon that can turn you into Cereza and one hit kill you by sucking you up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I like how Loki keeps saying KEEP UP and then sometimes I pass him and he tells me to wait for him.

Holy shit he needs to shut up.

I like how Loki keeps saying KEEP UP and then sometimes I pass him and he tells me to wait for him.

I don't really understand why games have voice clips loop like this, especially if there are areas to explore, no matter how little. It certainly doesn't add to my sense of urgency, only irritation. Would have been better if it was an actual conversation or banter between Loki/Bayonetta instead of him nagging me all the time.

Mupod

this is something that bugs me about games in general. Devs spend hundreds of hours crafting interesting detailed environments and then drop some annoying nag NPC who keeps yelling at you to HURRY UP GO FASTER JESUS FUCK LET'S GO AAAAHH. No, we need to explore.

he can be useful to identify which is the way to progress through the level, rather than the side path that leads to goodies/extra encounters.

kick51

Banned

every co-op person in the game does this

Not sure how something like that makes it into a game. These levels have areas to explore, which means ditching your partner, yet they have it programed to literally yell at you every 4 seconds.

Dreavus

Dang, not even for the Witch Trials?

Although now that I think about it, yeah, there are a couple things that would need to be addressed (flying sections, underwater (Although
Balder has some animal forms already!
)) before it would make sense. I am really looking forward to trying
Balder
, but it's too bad that it's all so limited.

If there was one big thing in the game I would say is a definite negative, No, pls remove no one likes this, is NPCs constantly telling me to follow them. Either you want to me explore for all these hidden verses/chests/hearts/magic pieces/arenas or you don't, choose for fuck's sake.

Squishy3

every co-op person in the game does this

Not sure how something like that makes it into a game. These levels have areas to explore, which means ditching your partner, yet they have it programed to literally yell at you every 4 seconds.
well, with the way bayonetta is designed where you can oftentimes go backwards or to the side or forward a lot of the time if you stepped away for whatever reason it serves as a reminder for which way to go when they are present. I mean, it can get annoying, but it's still a kind of smart thing for those people who do get easily lost in games. It's probably the frequency they say it that's the annoying part.

Oh man I need to get in on that tag climax list, how do I get in?

My NNID is dvader.

Sometimes suck (when facing bosses) and am pretty good (against junk mobs) other times. My best game was with some guy that was Rodin, he probably though he would smash stuff up. Well I won 4 of the matches and got a platinum rank at the end of it.

So much fun! But seriously I suck at the bosses (not gahmorrah since I memorized him playing the demo, I can pure platinum that easy). Since you can't change weapons between cards it's hard to have the correct weapon for the boss.

Neff

I thought I'd hate Loki, but I actually don't, because the game and Bayonetta herself spends so much time mocking him that I eventually started to feel sorry for the guy. And some of the shit he says and does is pretty funny.

And the accent is horrifically entertaining.

Ok the game definitely picks up a bit more difficulty when the demons start popping in. I even came across a Muspelheim I couldn't get through (one of those where killing enemies gives more time), will probably need to figure out a better weapon set for that. Not that I'm complaining!

fred

Anyone else think it's odd that there's only 59 reviews for Bayonetta 2 so far..? I was expecting a good few more to be added to Metacritic after the game launched.

Am getting my Special Edition tomorrow from my Mum for my birthday. Can't wait!!!

Does anyone think bullex climax is a bit overpowered in this? It absolutely decimates the masked lumen no matter the difficulty.

There are actually two forms of bullet climax in Bayo 2.

The first is weak and maybe slightly less powerful than the one in the first game, while the second is very overpowered.

I have no idea what causes the second one to activate, tho.

Astral Dog

Finished it an hour ago or so. I was very impressed, I think it's stronger than the first, although not by all that much, but more importantly, hugely better than Rising and W101, both of which I didn't care for.

Until nearer the end, I was really happy with the conservative use of
vehicles
, but they kind of blew that by the end. It's great to see QTEs completely removed though, and they didn't abuse the reuse of bosses to the extent the original did, and generally there was an improvement in the art I think, although it was still bad. The one big complaint for me was that I didn't find it nearly as charming writing-wise as the original. Loki is incredibly irritating, where as Cereza was super cute, and the way Bayonetta related to her was a lot funnier.

I think it's a fantastic game, certainly the most fun I've had with a character action game, very impressive. I applaud you Platinum.

EDIT: Forgot to say, the other really bad thing is the game is insanely easy on the middle difficulty. I literally only died three times, and two of those really don't count to me
they were by that demon that can turn you into Cereza and one hit kill you by sucking you up.

Hmm, i thought the game looked gorgeous, the use of color and old architecture is great, all the enemies and characters have distinctive designs and animations too,of course the game was still hold back by the hardware and trying to do 60fps,but there are even some people that say its too detailed for the action!
Best looking Platinum game, only rivaled by Wonderful 101.

KHlover

Banned
Ok the game definitely picks up a bit more difficulty when the demons start popping in. I even came across a Muspelheim I couldn't get through (one of those where killing enemies gives more time), will probably need to figure out a better weapon set for that. Not that I'm complaining!

Possible with scythes on your hands and blade on your feet (that's how I did it at least). Second set was blades on both hand and feet.

In my experience (don't take this for face value since I didn't exactly research the matter) blades build up magic faster than the scythe, so I used my B set to build up the magic while hopping from enemy to enemy with Witch time. Once I was able to use Umbran Climax I switched over to the scythe set and activated Umbran Climax. Repeatedly using Rotating Stick+Punch until Umbran Climax cleared out the fodder, leaving me with the big monster at ~75% health and about 20s left to kill it. I did it...barely, since I started screwing up the timing for dodging. Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa definitely saved me there :lol

It's def. possible to beat this challenge when you first get to it, but it was by far the hardest of those in the early chapters and it'll probably take a few tries.

I agree it was like Platinum didnt even tried to up the spectacle from the first game in the ending, you know, maybe what the ending lacked was a final fight with possessed Balder, using some of Aesir moves, that would make it more personal and had another surprising fight at the end.although it kinda happens in the first game,

Yeah that or the chapter 12 fight should of been the ending, really bizzare that it doesnt happen

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just saw this got a shout-out in Entertainment Weekly's Top-10 list, in the actual magazine.

Yeah, I know it's a trashy magazine pretty much, but nice to see a game like this get fairly mainstream attention. Described it as a great action game with a "Sarah Palin-lookalike", the best action game since the first Bayonetta.

There are actually two forms of bullet climax in Bayo 2.

The first is weak and maybe slightly less powerful than the one in the first game, while the second is very overpowered.

I have no idea what causes the second one to activate, tho.

The second one uses up your magic meter, and yeah its stupid good. You can straight up hold bosses on Infinite Climax in place with that shit, interrupt lumen sage dodges. Incorporate that with some dodge offset with Love is Blue firing pistols, you can keep them in lock stun if you're good, lol

Coda

Don't. Bayonetta is a great game. I understand the feeling since I had it as well but it's worth to play it first. After playing the second one I think I'd find it harder to go back to the first, so definitely play it before jumping into Bayo 2.

Yeah, it's worth playing 1 again if you only played it once. I played the crap out of it on the 360 (beating it again on Hard recently) so I jumped straight to playing 2 because I couldn't wait.

Is it wrong that I am sad that this OT is moving a little slowly? By this time Destiny was already on its second OT. I understand that this game will never have the wide spread appeal that Destiny has, but I was hoping for about 100 pages by now. Hopefully that just means everyone is playing the game. I really want it to do well, even if that means relative to WiiU. :)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I love the sound effect for the enhanced bullet climax

Kicks like DT Ebony and Ivory

Is it wrong that I am sad that this OT is moving a little slowly? By this time Destiny was already on its second OT. I understand that this game will never have the wide spread appeal that Destiny has, but I was hoping for about 100 pages by now. Hopefully that just means everyone is playing the game. I really want it to do well, even if that means relative to WiiU. :)

Don't make a direct comparison with Destiny in terms of number of posts. This game's all about that sweet, sweet combo score. The other one is all about those shoes you found at Norstroms of Venus, what tiara you should wear and which helicopter you should take to the masquerade ball. One of these generates a LOT more conversation than the other.

Just finished the third boss fight. Insane stuff, game's fun as hell. Gotta work on my combo scores though.

imae

The NPC nagging is definitely an objective complaint to have, but it's something that didn't really bother me at all because I knew that I could just ignore them, i.e. that nothing bad would happen if I left them hanging.

Loki's voice took me some adjusting too, because it's obvious that it's an adult acting a childs voice, but Loki was still a character I grew to like which I didn't think would happen after watching the E3 2014 Trailer

Towards the end of the game, I genuinely started to care for the characters... I even found myself wandering what Enzo had been up to since
we don't see much of him outside of the prologue and ending
Based on the interactions between the characters, I started to get that scooby gang vibe and felt that their relationships would continue within this alternate universe after the game had ended. Them hanging out together in the city was a nice touch.

Bayonetta herself comes across as a more mature, and serious character compared to the first game. I missed her more mischievous and fun side, still present here but far more reserved. That said, Bayonetta feels like a character that is developing because of how her attitude has changed in the sequel, perhaps affected by the closing events of the first game, and as a result of this the story felt genuinely progressive.

So yeah the storytelling is nothing breathtaking and the characters have their odd moments that are hard to reflect upon, especially if your'e mostly used to watching Hollywood flicks. However, there are still many aspects of the story I really enjoyed. I want to see what happens next.

I've come to expect having to endure an annoying kid in every Kamiya / Platinum game.

What's up with that seriously ? Loki sits in between the tad less annoying (Bayo1) and the absolute nerve wracking (MGR).

Game is a blast so far (I'm on chapter 11 or so) but I still think the first instalment is superior (at least as far as enemies, difficulty and level design are concerned).

The NPC nagging is definitely an objective complaint to have, but it's something that didn't really bother me at all because I knew that I could just ignore them, i.e. that nothing bad would happen if I left them hanging.

Loki's voice took me some adjusting too, because it's obvious that it's an adult acting a childs voice, but Loki was still a character I grew to like which I didn't think would happen after watching the E3 2014 Trailer

Towards the end of the game, I genuinely started to care for the characters... I even found myself wandering what Enzo had been up to since
we don't see much of him outside of the prologue and ending
Based on the interactions between the characters, I started to get that scooby gang vibe and felt that their relationships would continue within this alternate universe after the game had ended. Them hanging out together in the city was a nice touch.

Bayonetta herself comes across as a more mature, and serious character compared to the first game. I missed her more mischievous and fun side, still present here but far more reserved. That said, Bayonetta feels like a character that is developing because of how her attitude has changed in the sequel, perhaps affected by the closing events of the first game, and as a result of this the story felt genuinely progressive.

So yeah the storytelling is nothing breathtaking and the characters have their odd moments that are hard to reflect upon, especially if your'e mostly used to watching Hollywood flicks. However, there are still many aspects of the story I really enjoyed. I want to see what happens next.

I agree with everything said.

Although, Bayonetta, in the first game, was like a [lost]child at play going wherever the next challenge would lead her.

In the sequel, she has a clear goal with serious weight behind it... to save her B(W)FF!

I'm not done with the game, but it feels like Bayonetta's character in 2 was more fed up with all the things that get in her way. In Bayonetta 1, she had no idea who she was, so all she knew was to fight angels. In 2, she knows who she is and just wants to get her shit done and move on.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Should I get all the techniques first, or are there some must-have fun weapons too ? At chapter VIII now, having a great time, not caring at all about the story or the kid though.

Top Bottom