• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

I'm not done with the game, but it feels like Bayonetta's character in 2 was more fed up with all the things that get in her way. In Bayonetta 1, she had no idea who she was, so all she knew was to fight angels. In 2, she knows who she is and just wants to get her shit done and move on.

Gotta go fast!
Jeanne's soul is running out of time.

Should I get all the techniques first, or are there some must-have fun weapons too ? At chapter VIII now, having a great time, not caring at all about the story or the kid though.

Weapons are free.
If you've collected full LPs, go to your weapon's menu

Buy techniques. Bat within helps with miss timed dodges.

EDIT: sorry for DP

There are actually two forms of bullet climax in Bayo 2.

The first is weak and maybe slightly less powerful than the one in the first game, while the second is very overpowered.

I have no idea what causes the second one to activate, tho.

Just use it when you have built up your magic meter to UC levels.

It's def. possible to beat this challenge when you first get to it, but it was by far the hardest of those in the early chapters and it'll probably take a few tries.

Yeah I'm sure it is, I just need to get good :p

This is now officially the second game this year to keep me up too late. Damn you, Platinum!

I'm not done with the game, but it feels like Bayonetta's character in 2 was more fed up with all the things that get in her way. In Bayonetta 1, she had no idea who she was, so all she knew was to fight angels. In 2, she knows who she is and just wants to get her shit done and move on.

Well her best friend's soul IS rapidly being absorbed in Hell. Clock's a-tickin'.

I tried playing a bit of Bayo 1 after finishing this. Was that game always so dark looking? The use of color in 2 makes the first game kind of look like a piece of shit

Well her best friend's soul IS rapidly being absorbed in Hell. Clock's a-tickin'.

I tried playing a bit of Bayo 1 after finishing this. Was that game always so dark looking? The use of color in 2 makes the first game kind of look like a piece of shit

That's why I re-played it first before going to Bayo2

But on the upside if you want to see how
Bayo2's ending continues into the first game
it's worth the journey. Game gets "prettier" as you go on... but nowhere near Bayo2 levels

KHlover

Banned
Yeah I'm sure it is, I just need to get good :p

This is now officially the second game this year to keep me up too late. Damn you, Platinum!
Hahaha, same goes for me. Finished every chapter after the first three in Bayonetta 1 with Stone Rank and only am able to keep up silver (and a few rogue gold) ranks in Bayonetta 2 on 2nd Climax so far :D

I feel/felt with her. Not making an inch of progress in getting to the mountain over the course of multiple chapters made me just as angry as her.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
One thing that's certain is that the learning curve in this game is much less steep than W101s. It's easily enjoyable from the very beginning, you don't need to reach that point where "everything clicks" in the same way.

Veelk

Banned
I've been meaning to write something up for this game since Saturday of last week. While I have played a game nonstop for longer, I think this is the first 10+ game that I finished ENTIRELY in one sitting. That's pretty crazy, for me, but I got the game at around 3 pm on Friday and intended to only play a few hours. Then the credits roll and I look at the clock, it's 3:30 am. Crazy, but that's Bayonetta for you.

Lets talk about the most essential part of the game first: The combat. We have cleaner image quality, better camera, I feel a better variety of weapons, and an adjusted wicked weave system that puts it's own spin on the combat engine. All this leads to a better experience than the original, in terms of encounter-to-encounter combat. I see things more clearly, allowing me to dodge more cleanly, allowing me to be better at the game.

I have more weapons I feel comfortable using compared to Bayonetta 1. There, I almost exclusively used Shuraba, Shotguns, Odette and Durga to the exclusion of all else just because I didn't feel the need to use anything else. And truth be told, Shuraba and shotguns would be more more than sufficient. I play around with Odette and Durga's because I though they are cool weapons aesthetically rather than that they add any significant edge in combat (which is not to say they don't add anything to the combat. I just mean I could get by just about any encounter without them). I fully admit this might be my own limitation and flaw of my gameplay style, but the sword and shotguns were so effective on their own. On the other hand, while I didn't use the Bow and Undines as much as the other combinations, I had more of a feeling that every weapon has it's own distinct advantages in various situations. The weapons feel more specialized compared to Bayo 1's, which makes me eager to master them all, rather than just use one or two combinations the whole game.

However, the unfortunate downside to Bayonetta 2 is something I predicted from the moment I completed bayonetta 1 - it's an expansion pack rather than a true sequel. Let me explain by going on a tangent for a moment. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is maybe my favorite platinum game (I haven't played W101 yet, still getting to it). It's combat is perhaps the most satisfying I've played, personally. There's something about parrying and cutting that's just...the point is, I love it. Yet, in every way, it's Bayonetta 1's lesser. I fully admit that. It's a matter of preference, as I like tactical combat more than combo-a-thons. It's the same reasoning I prefer Ninja Gaiden to Devil May Cry, despite that series being it's more or less equal in terms of depth. MGR isn't long enough, it doesn't have enough weapons, not enough enemies, it's environments are plain and ugly, certain things are unbalanced, etc. It is clearly a very rushed product. It is a game that needs a sequel, because there is so much to improve upon. It is bursting at the seams with unrealized potential.

With Bayonetta, that was never the case. It was so packed with content, polish, and depth that in between the years before Bayo 2 came out, I wondered what they could possibly improve upon. And with Bayo 2 out now, it's clear: Not much. Don't get me wrong: I love the fact that we have new weapons, new enemies, new levels to explore. All these things are excellent. And I like that the tweaked Wicked Weave system makes you rethink the combat a little. But it's only a little. All the potential Bayonetta as a series had had mostly been realized in the first game. I feel the game acknowledges this to some extent. After all, the penultimate sequence is essentially all of Bayonetta 1 condensed into 2-3 levels. Every major enemy type returns, the 4 major bosses. All that was missing is Jeanne. In fact, once I beat the game and unlocked Super Mirror, that gave me my beloved Shuraba back, I was disappointed to learn that this is the only weapon from Bayo 1 that's returning (plus SC, but that's basically a skin change from Love is Blue unless I'm missing something). Honestly, they might as well have dumped the shotguns, Durga, and Odette with it, since then we'd essentially have all of Bayonetta 1 within 2.

See what I mean about how it's an expansion pack? It tweaked the combat system rather than revamped it, like Ninja Gaiden did with Ninja Gaiden 2, or DMC1 to DMC3, and 3 to 4. The biggest change, with the wicked weave system and addition of the umbran climax, is significant in it's own right, but it doesn't change the game entirely. And that's not really platinum's fault that they didn't change much. Because what else could they have done? Bayonetta was too complete for it's own good. I almost can't imagine any major change that would have, without a doubt, been for the better.

I would rather play Bayonetta 2 than Bayonetta 1, for several small reasons that add up to a slightly better gameplay experience. Platinum essentially polished an already sparkling diamond, as far as I can tell. And they also...purified it, is perhaps the word I'm looking for.

One of the reasons Bayonetta 1 felt as full of content as it does is that it had you do a lot of superfluous shit. Lava is flowing through the city, better avoid the lava as you fight these enemies! Oh no, stuff is happening, better take this Quick time Event you can't skip or you risk fucking up the timing. Here, hop on a motorcycle for 20 minutes. After that, fight in the freeway where you can be damaged from cars you can't see coming! Finished a chapter? Aaaaaaaaaaaangel Attack! People are complaining the Muspelhiems are easy, but the only reason that the Alfhiems were difficult is because they placed arbitrary restrictions or requirements on you, such as only being able to damage enemies with wicked weaves or only doing damage if your out of body. It was aritificial difficulties, and it's because I'm not willing to put up with that bullshit that, no matter how skilled I get at the game (which isn't saying much, since I am a pretty average player, but if I did get extremely skilled at it..), I will never waste my time bothering to get good at inane tasks. I'm here for the combat alone.

And yet....

Bayonettta 2 does away with the superflous shit. It has a QTE at the beginning, a space harrier thing at the end, but otherwise, it's just straight, pure combat in and out. There aren't really any gimmicks that hinder your ability. The most we get is fighting in the air or water, but combat is functionally the same, which is different from Bayo 1 where it prevented you from going to certain parts of an arena (like when you had to jump from car to car, or when the floor is lava). Even the Muspelhiem are mostly limited to sensible requirements like "Defeat enemies within time limit" ""Witch Time disabled" and it's a better (if easier) experience for it. I'm glad I don't have to deal with Angel Attack or stupid gimmicks for the majority of Bayonetta 2...and yet...the fact is the game feels sparser. It's a really conflicting feeling, because I know if Bayo 2 had included the things Bayo 1 did, I'd be complaining about having my time wasted with irrelevant tasks and gimmicks. Still, they added a great deal in regards to the pacing. Even down to the little things, like Fortitudo talking to you, helped build up anticipation for the boss fight. With Bayonetta 2, platinum specifically said they wanted to make every boss fight feel as epic as if it's the final boss fight of any other game. Their success here is their hinderance. By having a constant high intensity, we acclimate to the environment.
Having the Phantom summon randomly appear in the demon world out of no where and just straight up brawl with you without saying anything is not as much of a high as it would be if the game took a moment to slow down, take a break, have him and bayonetta trash talk each other for a moment before getting on with it.

This is a relative complaint, I should say. Meaning, it doesn't hold forever. When you play through Bayonetta 1 the first time, you don't skip the cutscenes so you're aware of this. The second time, you skip them, and get straight to the fight. This pacing issue, I think, is only for people who are going to play it once, because the first time, you are intended to go with what the game shows you. The replays are meant to be intensity after intensity. I don't watch the Bayo 1 cutscenes anymore, and I loathe every minute I am not fighting angels. I think it's the same thing here. While I am glad we don't have to do stupid stuff, I do wish we had more quieter moments.

Anyway, going back to how Bayonetta 1 was too complete for it's own good, that is true in regards to the story. I'm not going to talk much about the strength of the writing itself, because it's shit. It was shit in Bayonetta 1 and it's shit now. It's very often entertaining shit, but shit. So instead of that, I'm going to talk about the more abstract conceptual ideas Bayonetta is throwing around. As I said, Bayo 1 had already seen it and done it all. The one flaw that Bayonetta (the character) had that she actually cared about were her missing memories, and she got those back. By getting those back, she remembered her friendship with Jeanne, which in turn lead her to be more empathetic and appreciate Luka and Cereza before she learned that she was Cereza. And just like that, her character arc was complete and everything was resolved.

Which, again, doesn't leave much for the sequel to do. So it has to create it's own. It's not Bayonetta that has any problem per se, it's Jeanne, and Bayonetta just has to help on principle. On the journey, she meets Loki, who has the same problems she had, and she compassionately offers to help him out. Again, this is not Bayonetta's problem, it's Loki's and she's just helping. Finally, we get the
Lumen Sage, who is trying to avenge his wife's death, and she helps with that too
. The biggest problem with Bayonetta 2's story is that it's just not Bayonetta's, she's just along for the ride, which is a stark difference to the first game, which is ALL about her. And it's not to say that it's necessarily worse for being about others, but the problem is that you are relying on people being invested the characters it is about.

Jeanne is kind of just reduced to a damsel in distress that spends the entire time comatose, so even though I like her, I can't enjoy the story when she's asleep for most of it.
What would have been cool is if Bayonetta comes down to hell, and Jeanne has been fighting off demons in spirit form the entire time since she's been dragged to hell, and Bayonetta just needs to beat Alune (or whatever her name was) so that she can leave, but isn't portrayed as helpless. It still wouldn't have been her story, but I would have enjoyed that she is kicking ass elsewhere while I'm kicking ass as Bayonetta.

This story, however, is definitely
Loki's. We stick with him the majority of the game, he is the reason everything is happening, he's the one trying to find the truth of his own life, he's the one who gets the brunt of the character development...it's too bad he's such a little shit. I don't like this character that much and while I wish the complaint about him could be more intricate than that, I just don't like most of his aesthetics. His voice, his verbal tic of saying 'love' every goddamn line, his twin brother's stupid cacoon costume(I know it's his twin brother, but I'm considering them the same for the sake of aesthetics plus the point is that I had his storyline along with his character, not just his character exclusively)...Not to mention that his final battle was preceeded by another unskippable space harrier thing (really, platinum? really? *sigh*) with an huge, overly long battle with this douche that keeps backing away every time I get close.

The last bit is the Lumen Sage. Surprise, I don't like his either. Mostly because it's pointless.
"Induced insanity" is a trope essentially kills the character, but replaces a different personality in their body. This is a major problem because Balder's story arc here is a redemptive one, to show how he was good, but it's just not interesting if the reason he is a generically evil dude is because another generically evil dude turned him into a generically evil dude. Fall from grace/ redemptive stories are interesting because of character choices and revelations that lead them to those events. There is no point to the Masked Lumen Sage (why was he masked in the first place? He wasn't hiding from anyone) being Balder if he's not going to turn evil by his own choices. And I don't understand the greater point here. Is Bayonetta supposed to feel more validated that she had his permission to kill him all along or something?

One last thing, and I fully acknowledge that this is a nitpick, but one of the coolest things about Bayonetta 1's story is that she was utterly, 100% in control all the time.
The only exception is when she was momentarily imprisoned by Jubelius. One of the strongest arguments for Bayonettta being a feminist figure was that the most powerful forces in the universe were all female. Bayonetta was a woman, who was imprisoned in the eye of another woman, by another woman (since she had soundly kicked Balder's ass), and rescued by another woman. Here, Bayonetta has met her match by two men, Balder and Aisir. And it's not just that they are physically stronger, it's the first time that Bayonetta is emotionally vulnerable too. When Balder asks an innocent question of how she knows his name, Bayonetta of the first game would have probably implied smoothly that she knows all sorts of things or something of that sort. Bayonetta of this game stutters and makes up a lame lie, and at the end she cries and is vulnerable to Balder leaving moreso than the perceived deaths of Jeanne or Luka. It's not to say that Bayonetta was completely unaffected in that game, but it never shook her the way Balder does here. I'm not trying to make a mountain of a molehill, that is one thing I found disappointing, since the interpretation of Bayonetta's world being one where femininity is the ruling gender identity is no longer valid, and that was a cool thing because it was truly unique.

If I sound negative, I don't want to give the wrong impression. I love Bayonetta 2. It's a fantastic game and I'm still playing the hell out of it. I just articulate myself better when discussing whats wrong or missing than whats good about it. Still, I'll add some positivity here:

One thing I've noticed is that Platinum seems to have a habit of taking scenes from other games, and thensaying "Hey, we can do that better". Kamiya denied that he ever played DMC3, but I find that hard to believe when it takes so many cues from it. The first full Jeanne fight in the first game is nearly identical in setting and style to the first Vergil fight in DMC3, for example. I once made a post how Bayonetta seemed intent on incorperating the best mechanics of all action games into a single game. And with Bayo 2, I feel like they saw DmC's shifting environment and said "hey, why don't we try that?" This is specifically notable in
Inferno
, but it happened in other places too like hte first chapter.
But in Inferno, I was delighted by one of the most interesting Hell levels I've ever seen in games
. The biggest problem with DmC's shifting environments is that they wanted it to feel alive, while the environment mostly shifted mechanically. Bits of ground would rise up, and stay there, or move from one location to another, and stay there. It felt like moving gears more than anything.
But Inferno has the ground shift and move like it's some kind of organ that had been laying dormant and rose up to move before settling down again
. It's a really cool feeling, and THAT captures what it felt like to be walking in an environment you suspect might just be a bit more aware of you than you think it is.

I love the environments of Bayonetta 2 as a whole. As said before, it's a cleaner image quality, with more sprawling vistas and beautiful, religious designs. This is one gorgeous looking game. And that includes the new demons, who I love. Especially Diomedes. I no think there is any problem that can't be solved by sending a giant demon samurai unicorn at it. But really, I was worried that
the demons would be pallet swaps of angels
, and they're really not. They have parallels in regards to classifications (Big hitter, speedster, etc), but each feels like their own unique thing. The artists they have working on this are incredibly talented to make each enemy, environment, and character look so unique.

Bayonetta 2 is a spended experience as a whole. Thank you Based Nintendo for saving this one...but I don't think we'll see another. Never give up hope, I suppose, but I'm not sad if we don't. Bayonetta 1 realized most of its potential and Bayonetta 2 pushed it along a little further. Bayonetta 3 would do the same, most likely. But for me, I'm satisfied with what we have and I'll be playing these games into my old age.

trixx

cancelled my pokemon alpha sapphire pre-order and bought bayonetta 2. Pretty hyped.

First time ever not getting a pokemon game day 1 but screw it. No regrets.

One thing that's certain is that the learning curve in this game is much less steep than W101s. It's easily enjoyable from the very beginning, you don't need to reach that point where "everything clicks" in the same way.

to W101's credit, it was trying something unique much like the first DMC

Man, I love the two fights I had up until now against the Lumen Sage. I don't know, it just feels so fucking cool with all that speed and dodges. Fuck, it feels awesome.

KHlover

Banned
Man, I love the two fights I had up until now against the Lumen Sage. I don't know, it just feels so fucking cool with all that speed and dodges. Fuck, it feels awesome.

If you use Moon of Mahaa Kalaa to block his attacks he can actually block your block and you'll have a block struggle. The Lumen Sage fights are really great ;D

Porcile

Bat Within has kind of made this is a bit easy for me as the window of opportunity for activating Witch Time has doubled almost. I'm barely getting hit now. Is there a way to disable techniques? I kind of want to get normal dodging perfected first and then move onto other techniques like parrying etc on my second playthrough.

Zocano

Well...

I feel this sums up my opinion on the game quite well. I finished it last night and felt it was fun but it wasn't... quite as unique or good? The uniqueness is fine, I don't mind since I don't think that wow factor can be done again. Buuuut. Everything you said about story aspects, how the themes of feminine power are off and set aside is definitely something that bothered me about the story.

Also I think Loki is boring and annoying so that part of the story is clearly super flat to me.

Also the thing you mentioned about Jeanne is exactly what I thought would happen... but it doesn't and that disappointed me.
It's taking the power and agency away from her and it makes her usefulness diminished (basically to nothing) and she's just a helpless damsel.

Gameplay wise I felt the game was fine. I thought the final boss sorta did... nothing for me?
It wasn't at the spectacle of the first game and it didn't have quite the personal or engaging fight of something like Vergil from DMC3.

Basically I wish the story beats mirrored DMC3 because that's the only character action game story that is both just nonsensical and fun but also really engaging and gets you into it well. Bayonetta 1 was pretty alright about it but not super great but 2's story just ... falls super flat.

Zomba13

So Tag Climax, is it worth it to do it against other humans or should I just pummel the CPU? Can I get the unlocks battling against CPU?

If you just want to grind for halos for unlocks just play with the CPU (make sure to give them a worse load out than you have so you will always win and get the bonus). Play with other people when you want to do harder stuff and have fun. Played a bit with dragonlife last night and had a blast.

It's fun playing with real people!

But muh performance anxiety. ;-;

If you just want to grind for halos for unlocks just play with the CPU (make sure to give them a worse load out than you have so you will always win and get the bonus). Play with other people when you want to do harder stuff and have fun. Played a bit with dragonlife last night and had a blast.

Cool deal, might do that later.

jmizzal

You gotta be kidding me, i'm almost about to beat that big Sea boss at the end of level 7 and the game messes up because the stupid usb drive claims its been removed smh

i'm moving my saves to the system and unplugging the usb thats some BS

One thing I've noticed is that Platinum seems to have a habit of taking scenes from other games, and thensaying "Hey, we can do that better". Kamiya denied that he ever played DMC3, but I find that hard to believe when it takes so many cues from it. The first full Jeanne fight in the first game is nearly identical in setting and style to the first Vergil fight in DMC3, for example.

Bayonetta 1 realized most of its potential and Bayonetta 2 pushed it along a little further. Bayonetta 3 would do the same, most likely..

Kamiya has said that Bayonetta was an answer to all the people who were comparing the original DMC to modern day character action games. I'm not gonna say he wasn't influenced by some of those, but the Jeanne fight may have resembled The Vergil fight (because it was raining) but it was practically the same setup he used in the original DMC with Nelo Angelo(who also happens to be Vergil)... a rival you would encounter several times throughout the adventure.

To Bayo2 being an expansion pack and Bayo 3 probably being more of the same, you have to remember the one missing element out of the sequel.

Kamiya.

When it comes to gameplay, he is THE creative guy to find a unique twist or out right new way to play within the action genre.
He created it with Devil May Cry and he evolved it with Bayonetta.
Who knows what he could come up with if he had the time to develop a sequel of his own creation.

And then get Hashimoto to polish it in the sequel after that and we have another perfect gem in our hands.

Bat Within has kind of made this is a bit easy for me as the window of opportunity for activating Witch Time has doubled almost. I'm barely getting hit now. Is there a way to disable techniques? I kind of want to get normal dodging perfected first and then move onto other techniques like parrying etc on my second playthrough.

hit x or y in the weapons menu to bring up the move/techniques list.

KHlover

Banned
You gotta be kidding me, i'm almost about to beat that big Sea boss at the end of level 7 and the game messes up because the stupid usb drive claims its been removed smh

i'm moving my saves to the system and unplugging the usb thats some BS

I hope you mean an USB Hard Drive, not an USB Flash Drive. Flash Drives are absolutely not supported by Nintendo and pretty likely to fail.

Also make sure you have Sleep Mode disabled.
http://www.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/How_to_Disable_a_Removable_HDD's_Sleep_Mode

If the problem still persists I have no idea what might cause it. Maybe use an Y-Cable with 2.5" Hard Drives to make sure the Hard Drive receives enough power from the USB port(s).

jmizzal

I hope you mean an USB Hard Drive, not an USB Flash Drive. Flash Drives are absolutely not supported by Nintendo and pretty likely to fail.

Also make sure you have Sleep Mode disabled.
http://www.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/How_to_Disable_a_Removable_HDD's_Sleep_Mode

If the problem still persists I have no idea what might cause it. Maybe use an Y-Cable with 2.5" Hard Drives to make sure the Hard Drive receives enough power from the USB port(s).

Its a hard drive, it just stopped working in the middle of the game for no reason

I rather play my saves off of the system memory anyways, but this is the first game I brought with the HD hooked up and it auto saved the files to the HD.

Well it looks like the game saves during the Boss fight so I didnt have to start from the beginning, I wish more games will do that when you have long boss fights or long missions

Veelk

Banned
Kamiya has said that Bayonetta was an answer to all the people who were comparing the original DMC to modern day character action games. I'm not gonna say he wasn't influenced by some of those, but the Jeanne fight may have resembled The Vergil fight (because it was raining) but it was practically the same setup he used in the original DMC with Nelo Angelo(who also happens to be Vergil)... a rival you would encounter several times throughout the adventure.

I know it's a common scenerio, but it was more than just the rain. The right takes place at the top of a circular spire while a giant demon/enemy drifts above, waiting for his opportunity to strike, and at the end of the fight, the main character discovers a new ability to help them fight (DT vs Panther mode).

I also believe that Father Balder and Jubelius was Platinum playing DMC4 and saying "This Sanctus and Savior bosses suck. We'll show them how to do it. "

To Bayo2 being an expansion pack and Bayo 3 probably being more of the same, you have to remember the one missing element out of the sequel.

Kamiya.

When it comes to gameplay, he is THE creative guy to find a unique twist or out right new way to play within the action genre.
He created it with Devil May Cry and he evolved it with Bayonetta.
Who knows what he could come up with if he had the time to develop a sequel of his own creation.

And then get Hashimoto to polish it in the sequel after that and we have another perfect gem in our hands.

DMC was revolutionary, but you could easily concieve several ways to improve upon it. Hell, they had left over buttons that were literally being used for absolutely nothing. Ninja Gaiden, we all discussed how it could benefit from a weapon switching system. God of War could use a targetting system, and so on.

Bayonetta is different in that I can't concieve what you could readily improve. Like, honestly, what could you significantly change that is almost assuredly an improvement about it without taking away something else, besides "Maor weapons an enemies!" The game has every mechanic that I has been utilized in action games covered. It'd have to be something entirely new like Dodge offset was, because I honestly can't think of anything that Bayonetta doesn't incorperate in some form.

I was suppose to go to sleep after beating Bayo1 this morning been playing since last night

just wanted to see a few open chapters of Bayo2 but I could not stop T-T

chapter XV just press A OK but I am not okay I am seeing spots after those last Epic chapters OMG

this GAME

Seik

Banned
So I added a couple of you guys in my friend list.

Now to some B2 goodness.

NNID: Seik666 if you want to add me.

entremet

I beat this game in two sessions lol.

Man, the thirst was real for me. Now to get all the Achievement, err, Bewitchments.

What's a good useless loadout to give your AI partner in Tag Climax?

Just beat the game (INCREDIBLE) and I want to farm some halos for costumes. Gotta look pretty for my "3rd Climax get everything I missed" run.

Yeah...2nd Climax is a bit too easy, I didn't die once.

Eh well, not a huge deal. Still have all the Lost Chapter stuff, the other difficulties, and I've noticed Tag Climax is damn rough (enemies do crazy damage)

How long is this game? I mean the main story that is
7-8 hours

Gah, the Wii U Pro Controller is complete and utter garbage. My hands hurt from playing with it, there's no way you can use both R and ZR at the same time without completely cramping up and now the ZR button has even started squeaking. Exactly like my Gamepad does. Are there any third party controllers that are actually good? I have none of these issues with the Dual Shock 3.

kick51

Banned
Ninja Gaiden, we all discussed how it could benefit from a weapon switching system.

Oh man, that opens old wounds....
That's what DMC3 fans wanted from Ninja Gaiden. It doesn't make much sense for Black's combat + scoring system. Would've been useful to cut down on menu time in between fights, sure.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's interesting (but probably expected): I appreciate W101 much more after Bayo 2.

The fundamental Bayonetta game is probably much stronger than 101, but playing more of it in Bayo2 wasn't as effective. I mean, it's more of the one of my favourite games of the past few years, but lesser. So, yeah, I don't know. I'm in a weird place with Bayonetta 2.

Veelk

Banned
Oh man, that opens old wounds....
That's what DMC3 fans wanted from Ninja Gaiden. It doesn't make much sense for Black's combat + scoring system. Would've been useful to cut down on menu time in between fights, sure.

It could have operated differently than DMC. it would have to change between combo's, not within them, but it would have opened up strategies that would not otherwise be possible (or atleast extremely obtuse) by having to pause the combat, go in the menu, switch weapons, and then get back to the fight. It seems minor because it's possible through some work, but a real time weapon switch would have done wonders. It just wouldn't have made it DMC3, like some people think.

Look, my point is, there were clear mechanics that could be added to any of those games for mixing up the gameplay in a fundamental way. I just don't see that with Bayonetta. What can you possibly add?

DukeBobby

Ahh, I probably won't have my copy until Wednesday.

This thread is getting me too hyped. All of these 'oh my God" and "Holy shit" posts are too much.

CompC

I finished the game last night! I played the PS3 version right before I got the sequel on Friday, and here are my thoughts:

I liked the story better in the first game. Why is the Masked Lumen Sage
masked in the first place? He's just Balder. What's the point of the mask? Was he only going after Loki because "he" killed Rosa? Why was he going after Loki in Bayonetta's time?

Anyway I was totally with the story up until Bayonetta
left Inferno and rescued Jeanne. And why were there no climax finishers for bosses in that section? I was excited to see how that would work since the demons are already there… That Diomedes thing was the closest thing to it but it wasn't that good. Instead of finishing bosses with climaxes, other than Alruane, the bosses just disappeared.

That whole
Vigrid
thing was kinda cool at first, but why did it last for like three chapters? It should have been one. I liked
fighting the returning enemies from the first game
but it just went on too long in my opinion. Also no introductions for old enemies in that entire section. And for the final boss,
after Jubileus in the first game I was expecting something on that scale. After the fight with Aesir I was waiting for something else to happen. How could that have been the final boss? It wasn't too bad but I was just expecting a lot more after hearing how they've gone even more over the top than the first game. How is dodging boulders while making Aesir fall into Gommorah's mouth more over the top than dodging PLANETS on the way to THE SUN? It was still fun though.

The game felt easier, too. I played the first game on normal and died a lot and didn't make great grades. This game I did way better in general and only died a couple times. Maybe 3rd Climax is more comparable to the normal difficulty in the first game?

Anyway I still loved it a lot, especially the environments, weapons, and gameplay, but I still like first game better in most other ways.

Also I wish there was local multiplayer instead of online only.

How long is this game? I mean the main story that is

10-11 for me.

I took my time reading all the journals, exploring and and giving each challenge rooms a shot.

I still ended up missing stuff.

First game in a long ass time I played the entire day. Felt like a kid.

The game felt easier, too. I played the first game on normal and died a lot and didn't make great grades. This game I did way better in general and only died a couple times. Maybe 3rd Climax is more comparable to the normal difficulty in the first game?

It was easier, because you got gud playing the first one :p

Aseir was a great final boss. He just needed a stage that fit him. We need some extra dimensional head triply shit going on in the background to really sell it. And they should of had us dodging something when controlling him at the end. A bird, a plane, something. If your gonna copy Kamiya then do it right! :p

DMC was revolutionary, but you could easily concieve several ways to improve upon it. Hell, they had left over buttons that were literally being used for absolutely nothing. Ninja Gaiden, we all discussed how it could benefit from a weapon switching system. God of War could use a targetting system, and so on.

Bayonetta is different in that I can't concieve what you could readily improve. Like, honestly, what could you significantly change that is almost assuredly an improvement about it without taking away something else, besides "Maor weapons an enemies!" The game has every mechanic that I has been utilized in action games covered. It'd have to be something entirely new like Dodge offset was, because I honestly can't think of anything that Bayonetta doesn't incorperate in some form.

I'll agree with you here.

But at the same time, who knows what's in Kamiya's head and who knows if he, like most artists when they critique their own work, sees what could be improved upon in his own game.

Monocle

I just want to say that Platinum is awesome for including so many boss battles against human-sized rivals. There are what,
seven in story mode alone? Masked Lumen, Masked Lumen II, Prophet, Alruna (form I), Balder, Loptr, Aesir.
Then you have Tag Climax with all of the above plus
Rosa & Balder, Bayonetta & Jeanne, and Rodin.
I haven't even attempted the bonus chapters yet. Maybe one or two more are in there.

Too good! Rival bosses are my favorite kind because they play like normal encounters turned up 11. Just pure combat. These days I only replay Bayonetta 1's huge bosses to impress people who haven't seen the game before. The combat system doesn't really shine when you're just chipping away at the health of giant monsters while you try to avoid their giant attacks.

Climax Brace is infinite magic and is obtained by getting all 50 Umbran Tears of Blood like it was in the first game

Climax Brace 2 strengthens your wicked weaves but causes you to take more damage and that's obtained by getting all Platinums on 2nd Climax or higher
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm not looking forward to getting all those tears, but I'll go for it anyway.

sonto340

Guys. I'm playing Chapter 4 right now and I think I should just give up video games after this because NOTHING WILL EVER BE THIS GOOD IN ANYTHING EVER.
seriously.
having the summons fight each other in the background is just absolutely amazing, if a bit distracting.

This music. These controls. These graphics. This battle system. This fucking game, man.

EDIT:I played some more and(Chapter 4 Spoilers still, obviously)
NOW IM FIGHTING AS THE FUCKING SUMMONS. THANK YOU BASED PLATINUM GAMES

Porcile

it's interesting (but probably expected): I appreciate W101 much more after Bayo 2.

The fundamental Bayonetta game is probably much stronger than 101, but playing more of it in Bayo2 wasn't as effective. I mean, it's more of the one of my favourite games of the past few years, but lesser. So, yeah, I don't know. I'm in a weird place with Bayonetta 2.

The Wonderful 101 has Kamiya's golden touch which makes the whole thing feel super fresh and exciting, As great as Bayonetta 2 is, it's hard for it to feel like anything other than a refinement of something great which came before.

Astral Dog

I've been meaning to write something up for this game since Saturday of last week. While I have played a game nonstop for longer, I think this is the first 10+ game that I finished ENTIRELY in one sitting. That's pretty crazy, for me, but I got the game at around 3 pm on Friday and intended to only play a few hours. Then the credits roll and I look at the clock, it's 3:30 am. Crazy, but that's Bayonetta for you.

Lets talk about the most essential part of the game first: The combat. We have cleaner image quality, better camera, I feel a better variety of weapons, and an adjusted wicked weave system that puts it's own spin on the combat engine. All this leads to a better experience than the original, in terms of encounter-to-encounter combat. I see things more clearly, allowing me to dodge more cleanly, allowing me to be better at the game.

One thing I've noticed is that Platinum seems to have a habit of taking scenes from other games, and thensaying "Hey, we can do that better". Kamiya denied that he ever played DMC3, but I find that hard to believe when it takes so many cues from it. The first full Jeanne fight in the first game is nearly identical in setting and style to the first Vergil fight in DMC3, for example. I once made a post how Bayonetta seemed intent on incorperating the best mechanics of all action games into a single game. And with Bayo 2, I feel like they saw DmC's shifting environment and said "hey, why don't we try that?" This is specifically notable in
Inferno
, but it happened in other places too like hte first chapter.
But in Inferno, I was delighted by one of the most interesting Hell levels I've ever seen in games
. The biggest problem with DmC's shifting environments is that they wanted it to feel alive, while the environment mostly shifted mechanically. Bits of ground would rise up, and stay there, or move from one location to another, and stay there. It felt like moving gears more than anything.
But Inferno has the ground shift and move like it's some kind of organ that had been laying dormant and rose up to move before settling down again
. It's a really cool feeling, and THAT captures what it felt like to be walking in an environment you suspect might just be a bit more aware of you than you think it is.

I love the environments of Bayonetta 2 as a whole. As said before, it's a cleaner image quality, with more sprawling vistas and beautiful, religious designs. This is one gorgeous looking game. And that includes the new demons, who I love. Especially Diomedes. I no think there is any problem that can't be solved by sending a giant demon samurai unicorn at it. But really, I was worried that
the demons would be pallet swaps of angels
, and they're really not. They have parallels in regards to classifications (Big hitter, speedster, etc), but each feels like their own unique thing. The artists they have working on this are incredibly talented to make each enemy, environment, and character look so unique.

Bayonetta 2 is a spended experience as a whole. Thank you Based Nintendo for saving this one...but I don't think we'll see another. Never give up hope, I suppose, but I'm not sad if we don't. Bayonetta 1 realized most of its potential and Bayonetta 2 pushed it along a little further. Bayonetta 3 would do the same, most likely. But for me, I'm satisfied with what we have and I'll be playing these games into my old age.

I agree on some points, but that doesnt neccessarily make a bad sequel. yes, Bayonetta had a lot of content and was very polished ,it felt like a sequel to another game, Bayonetta 2 instead NEEDS Bayonetta 1 to be complete, they are one side of the same coin, and were planned as a single story.

Now for the game, this is a damn good game, even if its more of the same, PG wanted to make a sequel, and im very glad they did, as the combat system and world is different from their other games and i like it the most.its the type they do best imo. Also the difference from DMC to DMC 3 was also because it was made with a different team, and DMC 4 was made on another much powerful system, Bayonetta 2 looks better than the first, but i could argue that the hardware was a limitation too.

Now for the story, yes Bayonetta is not the focus here, thats dissapointing, but i dont think it was pointless or useless, it showed more about the realities, specially Inferno and demons, it fleshed out characters backstory like Rosa and Balder, made the story of the first game more clear, even if i didnt like the twist,Balder being a tragic character was even implied on the movie, it told more about the Eyes of the World , the Witch Hunts, the Angels, etc, i really disagree that it was pointless, its much more connected than i thought it would be.
About Kamiya copying other games, yes it could be, but i dont think thats a bad thing :p.

Monocle

Just saw this got a shout-out in Entertainment Weekly's Top-10 list, in the actual magazine.

Yeah, I know it's a trashy magazine pretty much, but nice to see a game like this get fairly mainstream attention. Described it as a great action game with a "Sarah Palin-lookalike", the best action game since the first Bayonetta.
God, that's so 2010. Bayonetta is Bayonetta.

Top Bottom