• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Settin

Well this game is more focused around Witch Time than the original and you can't really have WT for only one player in a cooperative environment. I do think you should get some points for a perfect dodge though. The whole scoring mechanic for co-op is kind of weird in general. You can get a Pure Platinum but still lose to someone who got a Gold.
It's competitive, not cooperative. It's like they made the bastard child of coop and competitive online by taking the worst parts of both.
the main game is goddamn incredible, though

Reebot

Finally got a chance to pick this game up, only played until the second chapter - this game is everything gaming should be. What an absolute treat.

Zomba13

So tag climax is bad. I get zero points for a perfect dodge, the other guy also gets witch time, and they can combo while I'm in the dodge animation? Yeah, no thanks.

NOPE.

It's competitive, not cooperative. It's like they made the bastard child of coop and competitive online by taking the worst parts of both.
the main game is goddamn incredible, though

It's both. You have to work together to beat the verse or no one gets a reward. You have to beat your team mates score to get the bonus which the verse picker wagered halos on. It's best to not care about the competitive bits because if you want to win and get halos you are infinitely better off playing with a gimped CPU and farming halos in games you win all the time. When playing with another person a win is a bonus and lets you pick the next stage but the only way to truly lose is to get beaten and kicked out with no rewards. Work together and fight some intense 3 star fights. Climax together as one.

Gah, the Wii U Pro Controller is complete and utter garbage. My hands hurt from playing with it, there's no way you can use both R and ZR at the same time without completely cramping up and now the ZR button has even started squeaking. Exactly like my Gamepad does. Are there any third party controllers that are actually good? I have none of these issues with the Dual Shock 3.

Im using the Nyko pro commander but I dunno if I can recommend it it of you cant get it for cheap. It has the perfect layout but it has a few reliability issues. It sometimes drops imputs and for some reason mine refuse to turn on unless its plugged in.

I feel like when you start saying "The game developers were lazy because they didn't think of this idea I had" and don't consider that, maybe, they have had that idea and deemed it bad, you've lost a lot of perspective.

DedValve

Banned
Did they do something to the Moon of Mahar Kalaa? I remember it being my favorite item in Bayonetta 1 and feeling so good mastering it and maybe I'm out of practice but 4 chapters in and nothing but stone after stone for dying minimum 3 times each chapter.

I just can't get it to work properly at all, and sometimes even when I'm facing the enemy (or their attack) I don't get it.

I got mad and took it off only to realize Jeanne doesn't even have normal witch time only crow within.

I might just end up playing Bayo because this item is just no longer as fun as it was. I'm going to pop in a playthrough of the first game soon and once I get to that I'll use it again and see if I really just got rusty but I never had as many problems as I did with this one.

Chapter 3 is just a fucking nightmare. 3rd try now.

EDIT: Giving up and just playing bayo. 3rd chapter has that angel boss fight and sometimes he'll shake off some golden feathers that sit there for a second before attacking you making it really easy to counter right? Well I do that and it comes in two waves. Sometimes I counter both, sometimes I only counter one despite doing the same motion at the same speed and memorizing the times exactly. Fuck it, I'm dodging. More fun.

Settin

NOPE.

It's both. You have to work together to beat the verse or no one gets a reward. You have to beat your team mates score to get the bonus which the verse picker wagered halos on. It's best to not care about the competitive bits because if you want to win and get halos you are infinitely better off playing with a gimped CPU and farming halos in games you win all the time. When playing with another person a win is a bonus and lets you pick the next stage but the only way to truly lose is to get beaten and kicked out with no rewards. Work together and fight some intense 3 star fights. Climax together as one.
No, it's bad. I'm fighting the other person so doing good while they're alive objectively hurts me. I can beat the levels by myself so it's best to stand in the back and wait for the other guy to die so I win no matter what. It doesn't reward me for cooperating and it doesn't reward me for competing unless the other player is dead.
Edit: having the score based solely in combos is bad design.

Chapter 3 is just a fucking nightmare. 3rd try now.
Are you trying to platinum it? I set it aside for now and just settled for gold.

Every time I'd get the combo or time requirement for platinum I'd get hit once and lose my platinum for damage. So frustrating :(
I'm just trying to beat it.
Oh. Just get that attack pattern down. The trickiest is the timing for the beak snap attack but he'll turn red before the multiple swipe attack. Get trigger happy on that dodge trigger.

Edit: Oh, I saw your edit. Trying to parry everything? Brave man.

DedValve

Banned
Are you trying to platinum it? I set it aside for now and just settled for gold.

Every time I'd get the combo or time requirement for platinum I'd get hit once and lose my platinum for damage. So frustrating :(

I'm just trying to beat it.

Oh. Just get that attack pattern down. The trickiest is the timing for the beak snap attack but he'll turn red before the multiple swipe attack. Get trigger happy on that dodge trigger.

My frustration is with the Moon of Mahar Kalaa. Like I said before I've gotten one of his animations down packed and the others mostly understood yet I keep taking damage to the death. Even his easy to read moves get me.

I'm doing it right now with Bayonetta and am mostly wiping the floor with him, I expect a gold or platinum depending on how much the game screws me because of the surfing section =/

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Guys

Guys.

I just had the first fight with the Lumen sage

Guys

Guys

Guys

That was the hypest thing I have ever experienced.

It was a true rival battle.

DedValve

Banned
Yeah, all of his moves are easy to dodge except that damn bite move. I easily avoided every attack except where he lunges out to bite. He did that 5 times a row and I couldn't even dodge once!

On the brightside this will be my non-first stone for climax 3. Maybe the maha kalaa item has a much smaller window of opportunity on jean? I'll put it on bayonetta and see how it works with her but it certainly felt much higher in the first game.

Also are there any more playable characters? Or are they only for tag climax?

Rnr1224

just unlocked
Balder
in Tag Climax and wow he is extremely fun to play as! Wish I could play through the story as him though :(

just unlocked
Balder
in Tag Climax and wow he is extremely fun to play as! Wish I could play through the story as him though :(

It would have been really nice if him and
Rodin
were playable in the main game. They could have at least been an option for the Witch Trials even if they wouldn't have worked in story mode.

Zomba13

No, it's bad. I'm fighting the other person so doing good while they're alive objectively hurts me. I can beat the levels by myself so it's best to stand in the back and wait for the other guy to die so I win no matter what. It doesn't reward me for cooperating and it doesn't reward me for competing unless the other player is dead.
Edit: having the score based solely in combos is bad design.

Don't play it as a competitive mode, play it to have fun beating the enemies and bosses of the game with another person. If you want halos do it with the CPU, if you just want to be the best like no one ever was then pick better weapons and do better or else don't play it. Just because it has a competitive aspect doesn't mean it has to be played with that mentality. I couldn't give any fucks if I "lose" a round or a game because I'm playing Bayonetta with another human being, doing sick combos, fighting giant enemies or having intense 2 on 1 (or 2 on 2) duels.

If you have to treat it like a competition and losing isn't fun to you and ruins the mode then I dunno what else to say.

Mupod

just finished the game. End boss was
kind of an asshole and didn't quite reach the hype levels of the first game. Although the fight itself was more interesting - I can't really complain about more 'Rival' style bosses.

Also unlocked
A FUCKING CHAIN CHOMP
for my legs. Oh god. It wrecks everything too.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Color coded? What did I miss? I've only seen the enemies go into their angry red state.

Someone wanted color coded enemies on Bayo. Like DmC enemies you only can kill with Light weapons and some just with Dark weapons. It was terrible on DmC limiting the combat and it would suck too on Bayo.

Sometimes people should realize that some things are better left untouched than fucking em up.

I feel like when you start saying "The game developers were lazy because they didn't think of this idea I had" and don't consider that, maybe, they have had that idea and deemed it bad, you've lost a lot of perspective.

I couldn't tell if he was purposefully mentioning an idea that appeared in DmC in order to get a rise out of people, or if he really just wanted P* to implement his bad ideas.

And, I mean, anyone could tell you why his other idea of implementing the Nemesis system was a horrible one. These suggestions are too bad to be genuine.

Someone wanted color coded enemies on Bayo. Like DmC enemies you only can kill with Light weapons and some just with Dark weapons. It was terrible on DmC limiting the combat and it would suck too on Bayo.

Sometimes people should realize that some things are better left untouched than fucking em up.
Oh god no. Who even like that crap in DmC???

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The color coded enemies were meant to add depth to DmC as the regular enemies were push overs and mostly no real threat through the game. They should have worked more on the A.I behaviors instead of making gimmicky enemies.

linid0t

Beat this game today! Beat Bayo 1 for the first time on Saturday too.

... I think I need a break from games for a while

Definitely my GOTY - although I don't really remember what else came out this year. Mario Kart?

Loved everything about this game. Combat was super satisfying, especially with the detailed animations. Game was a lot more colourful feeling than the first as well. Soundtrack was pretty good too.

mild ending spoilers for this and w101:

I think I remember reading that the Bayo 2 team and the w101 team were competing on who could make the hypest ending boss fight. IMO w101 takes the cake easily

DedValve

Banned
color-coded enemies only serve to limit the amount of weapons players can use and thus limit the freedom and creativity of the combo system. It completely ruins Bayonetta 2 on a most basic and fundamental level.

And are you saying the enemies are total pushovers? Sure there are no Grace & Glories types in this game (good god) but the enemies wreck shit up.

Yeah... no, thank you.

The game has perfect core mechanics as is. Basically as far as I'm concerned they can keep cranking these out as much as they want

Just finished a really sweet boss fight in hell. Game has its hooks in me like nothing has in a really long time.

Gonna finish the main story up here probably tomorrow, after that it's unlocking everything and Tag Climax time. I'm a mediocre player but if anybody wants to hit me up, my NNID is the same as my GAF ID.

-PXG-

I'm on Chapter XV playing on 2nd Climax. Is it me, or is this easier than the first game? I'm breezing through the game without little effort.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm on Chapter XV playing on 2nd Climax. Is it me, or is this easier than the first game?

I haven't played far but I get this impression as well since I just beat Bayo 1 before starting this one and it seems easier but maybe because I know not to mess around.

I'm on Chapter XV playing on 2nd Climax. Is it me, or is this easier than the first game?

It helps that you already played the first game and this is pretty much the same thing, but also 2nd Climax is like, Kids Mode from Viewtiful Joe or some shit. 3rd Climax is the perfect difficulty.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Was the downloadable demo on 2nd climax? I'm not in the mood for a challenging time, and that demo was perfect for me.

It really felt like the demo was on the easiest setting possible, but I went right to 3rd so I'm not positive on that.

Timeaisis

I'm on Chapter XV playing on 2nd Climax. Is it me, or is this easier than the first game? I'm breezing through the game without little effort.

I've died once, and that's because I refused to use a healing item out of pride. I kinda want to ramp it up to 3rd, but I feel like I'd get frustrated. The difficulty is hard enough to be satisfying, I think. I'll up it for the 2nd play through.

Edit: Also, I hate getting bronze, so 2nd climax it is.

Having a blast with the game, but i'm having trouble consistently performing the moves. It seems like it's all luck at this point.

How exactly do I perform an attack sequence? For example say it says to do a punch, punch, punch, dot, kick (it looks like a dot, so i'm calling it a dot). How does that translate to what I do with the controller?

Scum

Having a blast with the game, but i'm having trouble consistently performing the moves. It seems like it's all luck at this point.

How exactly do I perform an attack sequence? For example say it says to do a punch, punch, punch, dot, kick (it looks like a dot, so i'm calling it a dot). How does that translate to what I do with the controller?

The "dot" is a pause in the combo. So, PPP-quick pause-K

Top Bottom