• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Miker

It's because the Super Mirror (and Super Mirror 64) are in Bayonetta 1 so the ones in Bayo2 are labelled as "2". You need to buy the mirror (comes with a costume) to unlock the other costumes to buy.

Ah, thanks. I figured that might be the case - I just haven't actually tried out Bayo 1 on Wii U yet.

Speaking of Wonderful 101:

Its a very special game, it has some truly brillant ideas, gigantic bosses, great sequences its,innovative. i even loved the story and characters.

I understand when someone says its as good as Bayonetta,or even Platinums best game,however to me the ingredients never come together,the constant QTE, minigames, drawn out Big Bosses with gimimicky sections,bad framerate(worst performing "60fps" Platinum game) weird Gamepad sections, but the controls themselves i struggled the most, it was quite the experience while it lasted, but i cant replay the game anymore, they are too tedious and the game is just not fun.
I get why most people are going to prefer the pure spectacle and diversity that the Wonderful 101 offers though.

Bayonetta 2 (and other P games) is a much more focused game, and i think that makes it far better.in the end.

I appreciate how focused The Wonderful 101 is on being the most all encompassing arcade-action spectacular ever created. When I see people criticizing the genre shifts because "it takes away from the combat" I feel like they're looking at TW101 in the wrong way. It's not the same kind of game as Bayonetta, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, etc. The Wonderful 101 is everything in that package: The ground combat, the shump sections, the punchout sections, the massive QTEs...all of it. Basic combat is more of a bridge that serves to get you to, well, other bridges. The concept of "the set piece" is the meat of The Wonderful 101.

I appreciate how focused The Wonderful 101 is on being the most all encompassing arcade-action spectacular ever created. When I see people criticizing the genre shifts because "it takes away from the combat" I feel like they're looking at TW101 in the wrong way. It's not the same kind of game as Bayonetta, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, etc. The Wonderful 101 is everything in that package: The ground combat, the shump sections, the punchout sections, the massive QTEs...all of it. Basic combat is more of a bridge that serves to get you to, well, other bridges. The concept of "the set piece" is the meat of The Wonderful 101.

It's an unfocused, half-baked "package". There's no point to a set piece if it's not fun to play.

Bayonetta is cool.

Bayonetta 2 is cool in a different way.

It's all good.

tumblr_mu2fxrwawb1qdm0crrc.gif

Hey, everyone, I took the liberty of creating a Tag Climax Steam group for people like me who are heavy Steam users and would like a way to communicate with fellow players during card-picking or to set up games in general. If it gets big enough, it'd be cool if it were added to the OP.

GAF - Bayonetta 2 Tag Climaxing Steam Group

I've linked to this thread and the group is public to make things quicker. Hopefully there's others in this thread that this could be useful for.
Quoting for late-night folks.

I'm about to hop on. Does anyone want to do Tag Climax?

Monocle

Speaking of Wonderful 101:

Its a very special game, it has some truly brillant ideas, gigantic bosses, great sequences its,innovative. i even loved the story and characters.

I understand when someone says its as good as Bayonetta,or even Platinums best game,however to me the ingredients never come together,the constant QTE, minigames, drawn out Big Bosses with gimimicky sections,bad framerate(worst performing "60fps" Platinum game) weird Gamepad sections, but the controls themselves i struggled the most, it was quite the experience while it lasted, but i cant replay the game anymore, they are too tedious and the game is just not fun.
I get why most people are going to prefer the pure spectacle and diversity that the Wonderful 101 offers though.

Bayonetta 2 (and other P games) is a much more focused game, and i think that makes it far better.in the end.
I feel the same way. The Wonderful 101 is a great experience the first time through, as long as you're playing on a manageable difficulty. (Otherwise you'll pull out your hair at the confounding mechanics and punishing enemies.) Its combat system truly shines once it clicks. Unfortunately, Kamiya decided to throw everything but the kitchen sink in there, then doubled back and added the whole damn kitchen.

The game is seriously dragged down by its gimmicks. If someone genuinely loves all of the segments that have nothing to do with the core combat system, they are very lucky. TW101 is an exuberant tribute to video games, and every moment practically bursts with Kamiya's passion for his favorite things, but TW101 puts many obstacles in the way of the player who values its best aspect, the superb combat. I expect not to revisit the game very much now that I have Bayonetta 1 and 2 on the same console.

I get this. I think that's probably what Kamiya was going for. The problem is, the combat is so much deeper and more polished than everything else that the arcade segments seem gimmicky by comparison. The transitions from the mechanically complex gameplay to the very basic are quite jarring, or at least they were for me.

KHlover

Banned

The first time (not literally, but I indeed never finished the game) I had to run around like an idiot for five seconds to collect my fighters after getting hit by a moderately strong attack that bridge came down crashing and took any interest I had in playing the game. There's a game being hard (can't even count how often I died in Bayonetta but I still loved it) and then there's useless tedious bullshit.

Jezan

Does anybody else experience weirdly high amounts of slowdown in Bayonetta 1? This started happening to me on the 360 version originally, and I thought having it on Wii-U would fix this, but I'm getting the same problem. It makes the game feel way slower and less responsive, and it changes the timing required for the combos.

Also, I really wish there was an option to play Bayo 1 with Bayo 2 controls. I keep changing weapons when I mean to lock on.
Yes, I lost a pure platinum verse twice when Grace & Glory appeared, the cutscene when they appeared was too slow and when i regained control it was too slow that I couldn't avoid their first attack. Also happened with the big bosses, I noticed it is if I don't skip the cutscenes then the first few seconds of the fight the game runs like a 64game, I swear!

I finally got my hands on the game today and just finished up Chapter 8. It's just...

CB3jESA.gif

Seriously though, it's absolutely phenomenal to play. The weapons feel great, movement/attacking is very fluid, the visuals are much more vibrant than in the first game, and the pacing is just right. I already feel like this is for sure going to be my GOTY, and I haven't even finished the game yet.

I get this. I think that's probably what Kamiya was going for. The problem is, the combat is so much deeper and more polished than everything else that the arcade segments seem gimmicky by comparison. The transitions from the mechanically complex gameplay to the very basic are quite jarring, or at least they were for me.

Which is funny since a lot of people thought the non-core combat sections were too involved. I'd say those sections were about as deep as you could make them within a reasonable budget, but it seems like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation here. Some people will dislike the genre shifts regardless. I saw the combat depth being something that Kamiya just can't help doing rather than the end all be all like the Bayonetta side of the genre. Yeah there's a Platinum Games combat system there, but TW101 is more about the energy of the scenario.

The first time (not literally, but I indeed never finished the game) I had to run around like an idiot for five seconds to collect my fighters after getting hit by a moderately strong attack that bridge came down crashing and took any interest I had in playing the game. There's a game being hard (can't even count how often I died in Bayonetta but I still loved it) and then there's useless tedious bullshit.

You can sweep up your knocked out teammates with the wonder liner, or just wait a moment for everyone to snap back to you. I never understood the frustration with that. Again, it's not Bayonetta so I thought punishing the player for getting hit like that reinforced the "you're a team" mentality. It feels awful but that's the point.

Unit24

Three consecutive playthroughs and I am still completely shit at dodge offset. I just can't consistently remember to hold down the attack button while I dodge, and when I do, I usually end up holding the dodge button as well, which makes me start breakdancing.

weevles

I never did finish Bayo1 on X360, so I'm starting with that now. It's so fun, but ow my wrists and fingers are taking a damn beating. :p

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Finished the Story Mode and I'm impressed how they kinda fixed issues with the story of B1 and made an easier to follow plot. I liked the darker tone and I wish there were some areas to explore a bit more than we got.
(Inferno was such a great looking place I wished I could have gone deeper)

Monocle

Yeah, that annoys me to this day. I understand its purpose in TW101's scheme of team management and risk vs. reward, but I can't help that it kills my fun to have the flow of battle interrupted so drastically when I make a mistake. Imagine if recovery took that long in a standard character action game. Nobody would stand for it. TW101's core gameplay is close enough to that genre that I have very limited patience for the ways it trips me up, whether it's making me collect my knocked out team or forcing me to have battery charge just to attack and dodge. I mean, if I'm not supposed to play it like a character action game, it's strange that its combat has all the same features and rhythms in a different wrapper.

I feel bad bashing on such a creative and joyful title, but at the same time I want to be honest about my experience. Basically TW101 is a flawed masterpiece.

Monocle

dat
chain chomp
is the truth
Preach it! Preach the word.

I mean it's really just about the greatest thing ever.

Which is funny since a lot of people thought the non-core combat sections were too involved. I'd say those section were about as deep as you could make them within a reasonable budget, but it seems like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation here. Some people will dislike the genre shifts regardless. I saw the combat depth being something that Kamiya just can't help doing rather than the end all be all like the Bayonetta side of the genre. Yeah there's a Platinum Games combat system there, but TW101 is more about the energy of the scenario.
I guess I should just be grateful for the miracle of TW101's existence in the modern game industry. That it was even funded, and Kamiya had such creative control, still boggles my mind. It's a treasure in a sea of safe and disposable titles.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
It was a mistake playing this on 2nd Climax first. Holy poop 3rd is simply gaming Nirvana.

And the Lost Chapters. And Tag Climax. Super sweet post game.

Which is funny since a lot of people thought the non-core combat sections were too involved. I'd say those section were about as deep as you could make them within a reasonable budget, but it seems like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation here. Some people will dislike the genre shifts regardless. I saw the combat depth being something that Kamiya just can't help doing rather than the end all be all like the Bayonetta side of the genre. Yeah there's a Platinum Games combat system there, but TW101 is more about the energy of the scenario.

You can sweep up your knocked out teammates with the wonder liner, or just wait a moment for everyone to snap back to you. I never understood the frustration with that. Again, it's not Bayonetta so I thought punishing the player for getting hit like that reinforced the "you're a team" mentality. It feels awful but that's the point.

Playing Wonderful 101 made me realize I don't have a problem with genre shifting segments, but I do have a problem with them when they're done poorly. Wonderful 101 has segments that I loved like the Punch-Out and Space Harrier tributes, but then it had some really awful ones too like a few of the gamepad segments and the seabed shooter sections (which are just way too slow). Bayonetta's own space shooter section always bothered me because it goes on way too long, and it just repeats the same patterns over and over. If it had been engaging the whole way through I doubt I would have had a problem with it. Bayonetta 2's own
shooter segment
is pretty well designed, and mercifully brief and easy.

Never had much issue with collecting your teammates, it is very annoying but I generally don't have a problem with severe punishments for taking hits as long as it's avoidable.

Oh man, the Gamepad segments, I forgot about those. I will not defend them. Bad stuff.

bayonetta2bayonetta2bayonetta2

I felt bad going off subject and managed to shoehorn Bayonetta 2 into my post.

Playing Wonderful 101 made me realize I don't have a problem with genre shifting segments, but I do have a problem with them when they're done poorly. Wonderful 101 has segments that I loved like the Punch-Out and Space Harrier tributes, but then it had some really awful ones too like a few of the gamepad segments and the seabed shooter sections (which are just way too slow). Bayonetta's own space shooter section always bothered me because it goes on way too long, and it just repeats the same patterns over and over. If it had been engaging the whole way through I doubt I would have had a problem with it.

Never had much issue with collecting your teammates, it is very annoying but I generally don't have a problem with severe punishments for taking hits as long as it's avoidable.

Oh man, the Gamepad segments, I forgot about those. I will not defend them. Bad stuff.

bayonetta2bayonetta2bayonetta2

Dreavus

How do I use Umbran Elegance's once I buy them? I tried switching back to the default costume but they don't seem to be showing up even when I've switched the weapons around a lot.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
How do I use Umbran Elegance's once I buy them? I tried switching back to the default costume but they don't seem to be showing up even when I've switched the weapons around a lot.
Need to wear the default outfit and press Y while selecting the corresponding weapon.

Still waiting for my copy, it arrived to my country, but it's in custom clearance. Can't wait to play Bayo 2 and damn you all for playing the game before me,
I'm jealous

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Cheevo hunting on a Nintendo console.

Touch Bayonetta during 10 cutscenes you say? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Top Bottom