• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone been using accessories?(besides MoMK)

With magic being crucial for damage dealing, I figured more accessories might have gotten buffed.

Right now I think there will end up being two viable styles in the long run. The default style with UC and the Bracelet of Time style which works alot like the first game.

Bracelet of Time removes Witch Time through dodges and replaces UC as the toggle meter option.

It's just that now triggering Witch Time for the Witch Time states of enemies is what the game is designed around, rather than just being a fun style to play the original.

After seeing this I got SOOOO much more excited about this game. UC isn't really my jam so I'm glad my favorite way to play the original is preserved with this accessory. PG basically designed the game around that style.

DedValve

Banned
It's funny, I immediately saw the dot in the combo system in the original Bayonetta and knew that it mean "brief pause" so PPP * K meant do 3 punches, take a second then do a kick.

Wonder if it was fighting games that gave me that? It seemed like such basic language that I didn't even think, I just knew so it never occurred to me that a dot to represent a brief pause makes absolutely no sense at all.

I wonder if there was any other way they could have translated brief pause into an easy to read format.

Finished the game, I'll write full impressions later bur definetly this is one of the game of the year.

Light RPG elements obviously and Bayonetta has already the ingredient/concoctions system.

Anyway, I just had an idea that just proves Platinum didn't look very hard for newness in Bayonetta 2 systems. At no point in the game you fight Angels and Demons at the same time. It's a missed opportunity. They could have introduced an Ikagura system where you have to switch between weapons to hurt Angels or Demons. And what about a Light/Dark gauge you have to keep in the middle : if you hit too many Angels successively, you accumulate too much Light and that breaks your combo, so you have to alternate enemies. It would have added another layer of strategy if only for a few levels.

DmC did that, it was awful.

burgerdog

And even with all that, it also found room to include Bayonetta.
So she wins no matter what she's in.

yoxkJW.gif

What the f, that's awesome. I've never seen that.

I think I remember reading that the Bayo 2 team and the w101 team were competing on who could make the hypest ending boss fight. IMO w101 takes the cake easily

It was just about who could make the craziest action sequences in general. I have a few more chapters left to go in Bayo 2, but to me TW101 easily outdoes Bayo 2. It's much more varied in it's set pieces and bosses.

Joeku

What is the weapon I need to equip for
the Link outfit to have the Master Sword? I thought it was Rakshasa (sp) but I did that in tag climax and had no Master Sword.

Levi

Banned

I use the one replaces UC with
Bayomecha
at the moment. I got used to its PP(hold)P grinding for halos in XIV. With the item that enrages enemies I can get about 600k in ten minutes replaying that chapter.

What is the weapon I need to equip for
the Link outfit to have the Master Sword? I thought it was Rakshasa (sp) but I did that in tag climax and had no Master Sword.

I don't know if it's much of a spoiler but
you need to equip the katana. IIRC you can get it by purchasing the Super Mirror 1 which you unlock after beating the game

Zomba13

It was just about who could make the craziest action sequences in general. I have a few more chapters left to go in Bayo 2, but to me TW101 easily outdoes Bayo 2. It's much more varied in it's set pieces and bosses.

Yeah. As awesome and crazy and great as Bayo 2 is TW101 outdoes it. TW101 is like the Gurren Lagann of games. It keeps building and building and spiralling out of control right up to the very end. In TW101 when you save the world it really feels like saving the world. Here it's like, that was an awesome and fun fight, looked cool and was well done with a cool cutscene afterwards but TW101 outshines it.

linid0t

Oh if that's the case then I think it's a little closer - w101 still wins out for me too though.

That ending was just too hype

Coda

if i only have time to play Bayo 1 or Bayo 2, which one should i go for? not a lot gaming time in the near future

2 Is a bit more bombastic and more balanced. Have you played the first one at all though? Definitely play that one first as I think it easies you into the combat more. 2 is a quite crazy, especially when you don't really know what to expect.

if i only have time to play Bayo 1 or Bayo 2, which one should i go for? not a lot gaming time in the near future

That's a tough one. They're like different sides of the same coin, really.

I'm gonna say Bayo 2 edges it out simply due to the fact that it smooths out a lot of the rough mechanical edges on the original. The game's just less cheap/frustrating over all. Story wise I don't think you're screwing yourself up all that much playing the second one first, at least not at the point I'm at.

Jintor

I want to point out that I think it night be possible to get through a verse of bayo without getting touched with your eyes closed as long as you listen for the audio cues before attacks

Bombless

I'm gonna say Bayo 2 edges it out simply due to the fact that it smooths out a lot of the rough mechanical edges on the original. The game's just less cheap/frustrating over all. Story wise I don't think you're screwing yourself up all that much playing the second one first, at least not at the point I'm at.

Uhh yeah, you are.

Coda

With magic being crucial for damage dealing, I figured more accessories might have gotten buffed.

Right now I think there will end up being two viable styles in the long run. The default style with UC and the Bracelet of Time style which works alot like the first game.

Bracelet of Time removes Witch Time through dodges and replaces UC as the toggle meter option.

It's just that now triggering Witch Time for the Witch Time states of enemies is what the game is designed around, rather than just being a fun style to play the original.

After seeing this I got SOOOO much more excited about this game. UC isn't really my jam so I'm glad my favorite way to play the original is preserved with this accessory. PG basically designed the game around that style.

I'm using the Mallet of Rewards right now just because it's an easy way to get more halos to buy other things. I really wan't the accessory that allows you to be the war machine during Umbran Climax but it's also kind of lame to lose all the cool special effects moves during your weapon's different versions of UC.

I want to point out that I think it night be possible to get through a verse of bayo without getting touched with your eyes closed as long as you listen for the audio cues before attacks

It gets kind of tough to do that later in the game with some of the projectile enemies all targeting at once but yeah, the audio/visual cues designed in the attacks are brilliant.

Marcus

2 Is a bit more bombastic and more balanced. Have you played the first one at all though? Definitely play that one first as I think it easies you into the combat more. 2 is a quite crazy, especially when you don't really know what to expect.

thanks, i think i'll play Bayo 1 first then.

Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 are dam good games but yeah, The Wonderful 101 is the better game than both(I can speak more of Bayonetta 2 as I am close to finishing it).
If those think that the Bayonettas are better, I can't argue with that as the combat is fucking fast and toptier but something about The Wonderful 101 just resonated with me.

I like the character designs better and the bosses were better like you said.
The fights against the Lumen Sage might best Vorkken fights but besides that, the bosses in The Wonderful 101 were more memorable.

In Bayonetta, you go from place to place in a linear fashion until the next encounter, it's pretty basic.
In The Wonderful 101, you do the same but the design from point A to point B is more polished and better executed I think.

I know what Platinum are known for but I enjoyed exploring a lot in Bayonetta(both of them), I wonder if it's all about the combat for them(which is topnotch) or the reason the exploration is so limited is because they aren't great at adventure aspects of game design.
While I doubt they are at the level of some of the best developers in adventure exploration, I think they could really make a great game in that regard if they wanted to but we know what their bread and butter is, at least for the games mentioned.

I think Bayonetta 2 plays easily better than 1 but I miss the light puzzle-solving from 1.
I liked the "find the door, lift the statues, stop time, get to the door" deal even if it was repetitive.

Well, just finished the game. Liked this one more than the first, I feel it did everything a little better. This is certainly my GOTY, no contest really. Let's see if Smash can change my mind.

Now I gotta go to sleep.

What a game...

I love the small touches, like how the little visual flourishes differ between angels and demons (angels materialize from top to bottom, demons materialize from ground to top, for example).

Joeku

So, I may have missed something super obvious, but why would I want to parry instead of dodge since I get witch time?

I love the small touches, like how the little visual flourishes differ between angels and demons (angels materialize from top to bottom, demons materialize from ground to top, for example).

Heaven and Hell, right. I also like that demons drop DMC orbs as currency. Nice of Heaven and Hell to have a 1:1 exchange rate going on.

So, I may have missed something super obvious, but why would I want to parry instead of dodge since I get witch time?

Parry is for

1. people who aren't getting the timing of witch time

or

2. people on their second play through exploring the depth of the totally badass and fun combat system

Read this guide on gamefaqs for farming halos.
Spoiler-tagging just in case.
Chapter XIV (mechs): Use Jeanne, have the bracelet of time and gaze of despair. Just activate witch time before each enemy then mash punch, punch, punch (hold). Pop a midas touch every now and then(enemies drop halos when you hit them). At the very least you'll take in 600k-700k a run, millions once you get the hang of it. It's a short and easy stage which is also a plus.

Bleah, I've got a bunch of chapters I'll have to replay to get a BoT. Those missing verses are a killer.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yes but if the write/read speeds are not good you will notice it while downloading anything to the drive.

How will I know if the write/read speeds are good? Any recommended brands?

EDIT: apparently it's much more recommended to use USB SD readers. So a class 10 micro SD should work?

Persona7

Banned
How will I know if the write/read speeds are good? Any recommended brands?

EDIT: apparently it's much more recommended to use USB SD readers. So a class 10 micro SD should work?

How much are you looking to spend? It might be better to just get a 50-60 dollar external hard drive.

StuBurns

Banned
Hmm, i thought the game looked gorgeous, the use of color and old architecture is great, all the enemies and characters have distinctive designs and animations too,of course the game was still hold back by the hardware and trying to do 60fps,but there are even some people that say its too detailed for the action!
Best looking Platinum game, only rivaled by Wonderful 101.
To be clear, I wasn't referring to the game on a technical level. I'm not overly impressed with that either actually, no AA and horrible filtering, and it quite often falls short of hitting the 60fps, although I didn't see any screentear, which is nice.

My issue was just the art direction itself. Oddly, it's almost the exact opposite of my issue with it in the first game. I really liked the enemy design, but hated all the locations, all that gold/brown/gray, it just looked so drab to me. This time the environments look beautiful, all that Venice inspired stuff looked amazing,
and even locations from the first game look a lot more lived in and nicer.

This time it's really all the new enemy designs that I can't stand. They all look like kid's toys or something, and I can't stand those clashing colour palettes. There's something about Platinum's designs in general that rub me the wrong way. Rising and W101 have the same thing (although with W101 I think it works much better given the context). It all looks very Power Rangers or something.

I don't want to over state it or anything though, DMC and Ninja Gaiden also have horrible aesthetics, it's not like Bayo's falling short of it's peers or anything. And it's still like a perfect 10 for me.

Monocle

Holy shit, I somehow forgot about the amazing Star Fox easter egg. Earlier I complained about the achievement (er, bewitchment) where you have to kill all enemies during
the jet fighter shmup in the final chapter
. Never mind, lol! This is gonna be fun.

Astral Dog

Speaking of Wonderful 101:

Its a very special game, it has some truly brillant ideas, gigantic bosses, great sequences its,innovative. i even loved the story and characters.

I understand when someone says its as good as Bayonetta,or even Platinums best game,however to me the ingredients never come together,the constant QTE, minigames, drawn out Big Bosses with gimimicky sections,bad framerate(worst performing "60fps" Platinum game) weird Gamepad sections, but the controls themselves i struggled the most, it was quite the experience while it lasted, but i cant replay the game anymore, they are too tedious and the game is just not fun.
I get why most people are going to prefer the pure spectacle and diversity that the Wonderful 101 offers though.

Bayonetta 2 (and other P games) is a much more focused game, and i think that makes it far better.in the end.

Miker

Okay, so I just got the game today after Best Buy was shipped it out on Friday. What's the deal with Super Mirror 2 being unlocked first? Apparently there's a Super Mirror that's unlocked after I beat the game? Pretty confused on how the costumes work - it's been a long time since I've played Bayo 1.

Zomba13

Okay, so I just got the game today after Best Buy was shipped it out on Friday. What's the deal with Super Mirror 2 being unlocked first? Apparently there's a Super Mirror that's unlocked after I beat the game? Pretty confused on how the costumes work - it's been a long time since I've played Bayo 1.

It's because the Super Mirror (and Super Mirror 64) are in Bayonetta 1 so the ones in Bayo2 are labelled as "2". You need to buy the mirror (comes with a costume) to unlock the other costumes to buy.

Top Bottom