• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Tovarisch

Thank you Nintendo of Russia!

c53K8uj.jpg

18j50a6onklnhjpg.jpg

Infinite Climax difficulty doesn't disable witch time like in Bayonetta 1.

I dunno how I feel about that.

Different game, different rules.

In Bayonetta 1 you could do a launcher into life-to-death air combos on a lot of enemies without Witch Time. In 2 you can only do that on basic grunts for the most part. Most enemies in this game block a lot and can't be launched without Witch Time or Umbran Climax. This game is designed around it while the first game had it function as training wheels.

Playing as Jeanne on Infinite Climax makes WT harder to execute if you really want to do that. She can only activate it off of a Bat Within or Perfect Parry AFAIK.

Hey, everyone, I took the liberty of creating a Tag Climax Steam group for people like me who are heavy Steam users and would like a way to communicate with fellow players during card-picking or to set up games in general. If it gets big enough, it'd be cool if it were added to the OP.

GAF - Bayonetta 2 Tag Climaxing Steam Group

I've linked to this thread and the group is public to make things quicker. Hopefully there's others in this thread that this could be useful for.
Quoting for the morning crowd.

Different game, different rules.

In Bayonetta 1 you could do a launcher into life-to-death air combos on a lot of enemies without Witch Time. In 2 you can only do that on basic grunts for the most part. Most enemies in this game block a lot and can't be launched without Witch Time or Umbran Climax. This game is designed around it while the first game had it function as training wheels.

Playing as Jeanne on Infinite Climax makes WT harder to execute if you really want to do that. She can only activate it off of a Bat Within or Perfect Parry AFAIK.
Yeah, Jeanne definitely makes it harder. It's so hard to pull off for me. Bayo is easy mode in comparison.

e_i

Wow. There's a lot of boss fights in this game. A LOT. Got past
Pain, the first Infernal.
Can I get to the
fucking mountain
already?

DedValve

Banned
So, I may have missed something super obvious, but why would I want to parry instead of dodge since I get witch time?

probably answered but witch time lasts longer and you regen a little health plus you always knock the enemy back allowing you to really dig into your combos.

And in bayo 1 it's fun as hell, seems like it's a lot harder to use in this game.

Dizzy-4U

Currently on chapter 10. I only bought the bat thingy (good thing it was there to buy from the start) and saved all the money to buy the parry accessory. After Bayo 1, I can't live without it.

Currently on chapter 10. I only bought the bat thingy (good thing it was there to buy from the start) and saved all the money to buy the parry accesory. After Bayo 1, I can't live without it.

If you ever need more money, definitely try out Tag Climax. You rack up a ton of halos in it.

HegeMon

Neo Member
Hopefully sales are good ...

It really doesn't matter. This title has done its job: to help turn around the reputation of the Wii U. Bayonetta 2 has been universally acclaimed, and --- even more important --- it hasn't been ignored. Now the Wii U can't be ignored, either.

Veelk

Banned
It really doesn't matter. This title has done its job: to help turn around the reputation of the Wii U. Bayonetta 2 has been universally acclaimed, and --- even more important --- it hasn't been ignored. Now the Wii U can't be ignored, either.

I like having nice fantasies too.

Anyway,another thing that I think Bayo 2 is kind of missing out on is replay content in general. I was surprised to find out that I only had 1 difficulty to unlock, where as Bayo 1 gave me Hard, and Infinite Climax. It also is lacking in costumes (ones I like anyway. I am not a big fan of of 'normal' costumes, like school girl or police girl). In bayonetta 1, I liked the D'arc costume the best because it was unique to Bayo's world and looked great. I don't have anything like that here.

I personally really hope that Platinum is willing to patch in some stuff or give it as DLC. One is nonstop infinite climax (for those that want it) and more costumes. Or, if those aren't doable, I would atleast love to get the rest of Bayo 1's weapons in this. I would gladly pay whatever price they put on it.

I like having nice fantasies too.

Anyway,another thing that I think Bayo 2 is kind of missing out on is replay content in general. I was surprised to find out that I only had 1 difficulty to unlock, where as Bayo 1 gave me Hard, and Infinite Climax. It also is lacking in costumes (ones I like anyway. I am not a big fan of of 'normal' costumes, like school girl or police girl). In bayonetta 1, I liked the D'arc costume the best because it was unique to Bayo's world and looked great. I don't have anything like that here.
I personally like that I didn't have to unlock Hard and could play it right away, which I did.

Also, the dress costumes for Bayo and Jeanne are amazing. Jeanne's in particular is my favorite and the main reason I use her. No joke. The costume makes the harder Witch Time worth it.

Anbec7

I just avoided everything here... everything!!! out of fear for spoilers lol.
So I just received a call that my copy is here finally! I can't wait to leave work and play this on the afternoon.

Any tips you would like to share GAF?

I just avoided everything here... everything!!! out of fear for spoilers lol.
So I just received a call that my copy is here finally! I can't wait to leave work and play this on the afternoon.

Any tips you would like to share GAF?
Play on 3rd Climax.

Buy the Bat Within ability ASAP.

Save for Hearts and Moon Pearls.

Avoid Tag Climax until you beat the game or are near finishing it because there may be spoiler weapons/characters.

I definitely prefer the alt. costumes here compared to Bayo1, where the only one I liked was the Geisha outfit. The og beehive Bayo1, the 3 Chinese dresses, the prologue/epilogue dresses, Star Fox and Samus, yeah I dig 'em

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Supposedly Witch Time is far shorter on Infinite Climax, so that it usually dissipates early into combos giving enemies greater chances to disrupt or break them. Been watching some expert youtubers go through it and they tend to like the change giving more flexibility to combat unlike the more rigid cheese tactics the first game forced on that diff.

Well that was a ride and a half, just finished the game a few hours ago (albeit only on second climax, you could say I've barely scratched the surface) and I'm definitely thinking that was a damn fine game yet as with the original there's something that doesn't seem to click with me as much as I'd like and nailing down what "it" is continues to confound me though I might be getting closer to the source.

As a sequel I can say that there's plenty of small changes that I do very much appreciate ranging from the removal of those awful killer QTE moments to the brighter and more colourful locations you visit that are a big step up from the previous land drenched in a urine coated glow. Minigame sections are shorter and feel a bit better to play so they're more in line with the good type of variety and in general the whole game feels well polished and brushed up in the right places, there's not much for me to take issue with here.

If I were to pick at the flaws for a moment I guess some boss battles (notably the ones where you fly) could feel too busy for my mortal mind to see clearly leading to things feeling a bit too erratic and getting clobbered by attacks that were either somewhat obscured or just looked like the boss moving slightly. Plot and most of its delivery through cutscene stills is still lacklustre managing to take the wind out of the sails, occasionally you get one of those deliciously directed action scenes but they feel few and far between. I guess stretching things a bit further in something that could go either way is that the combat arenas never seem to mix things up much with their layout, the first game has the odd section where you battle amongst say lava or busy traffic that adds an extra dynamic to some fights though perhaps not in a good way depending on your point of view, even so the second game could've done a bit more on this front.

Really the game feels like a solid polishing up of what was an already stellar game in the original, I see what some posters mean by it feeling a bit too samey perhaps, safe sequels aren't much of an issue for me until you reach like a fourth entry so I don't have much to complain about here, it didn't bugger anything up so I'm happy enough with the refinement approach here though I personally don't feel any need for a third entry into the series.

Ah but I did mention that while I praise this game and the original it doesn't entirely grab me like I feel it should, I can tell that the game is mechanically great, its full of neat details both big and small yet I think that when it comes down to it in my opinion the combat itself is lacking a bit of oomph when it comes to connecting with blows. Now hear me out for second here before you stone award me into shame, yeah there are some powerful weave attacks that leave enemies reeling, the whole mech segment is like a demonstration of impactful attacks and the blooming great hammer delivers some solid blows as well but outside of these specific instances I sometimes feel like my own attacks don't have enough weight behind them, I'll slice through an enemy and watch them split in half as blood spurts out yet it doesn't feel like I just cut through anything with such force to warrant such a blood spewing response.
This isn't to say the combat feels weightless or anything that scathing, I think the variation in blow impacts might be a deliberate design approach to contrast the impact of standard attacks with that of a wicked weave, in any case hitting dudes still feels good don't get me wrong, just not great and maybe that's just one of the small things that pulls back my overall enjoyment of both games even just a little. Just for instance at long last I get two of my favourite weapon types get mashed together with what could be described as a god damn claw scythe but in execution I'm thinking that it just doesn't feel as solid as I'd have hoped and that's a bit of a bummer for me (even so, CLAW SCYTHE! that it exists makes me a happy chappy).

In any case I'm now torn between going back through 2 on a higher difficulty or returning to 1 which I never gave enough time to with only a run and a half to my name, probably will give 1 another go first since I'll have to play on normal mode anyway.
Conclusion is that the game is pretty great and will no doubt get better on the higher difficulty replay as seems to be the rule with Platinum's games.

Zampano

One thing that I'm missing from the first game are the
ice skates. Does anyone know if they're in? I know you can "skate" using the chainsaws but it's not the same - the skates were so graceful!

imo opinion its better for it always seemed wierd to remove one of the major features that made bayonetta in order to challenge the player. Bayonetta 2 can put you in Alot tricker situations since you can always use witch time

Dizzy-4U

Out of curiosity, has anyone switched the controls to match Bayo 1?

I hated with a passion that the lock-on was in R1 but when I started Bayo 2 I figured that if I'm going back to Bayo 1 later, it would screw me up badly. So I'm kinda stuck with a layout I'm not very confortable.

Ninja Dom

Hi everybody, I'm gonna buy this tomorrow.

BUT I don't know whether to buy physical £50 for the Double Edition on disc or to download form the eShop, £50 again but a 24GB total download.

I did have the pre-order for the First Edition but that didn't happen for me in the end.

How is the loading from disc? I'm not one that sells their games later but is there an advantage of physical over digital here with Bayo 1 & 2?? My last Wii U game was Mario Kart 8 and I bought that download.

Rhapsody

Banned
Question about parries, when can I input parries? Usually I try them when my character is in neutral, but can I do them while I'm attacking or during taunting?

Veelk

Banned
I personally like that I didn't have to unlock Hard and could play it right away, which I did.

Also, the dress costumes for Bayo and Jeanne are amazing. Jeanne's in particular is my favorite and the main reason I use her. No joke. The costume makes the harder Witch Time worth it.

So did I, but I wanted like a very hard mode. Just something to get another excuse to play through it again. There's also the fact that because Hard mode was available from the start, the enemies were all arranged in traditional order, unlike Hard mode in Bayonetta 1 that mixed enemy encounters from the start.

I haven't gotten the dress costume yet, but I want something more like the D'arc costume. Stylish, but looking like it's practical.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Hi everybody, I'm gonna buy this tomorrow.

BUT I don't know whether to buy physical £50 for the Double Edition on disc or to download form the eShop, £50 again but a 24GB total download.

I did have the pre-order for the First Edition but that didn't happen for me in the end.

How is the loading from disc? I'm not one that sells their games later but is there an advantage of physical over digital here with Bayo 1 & 2?? My last Wii U game was Mario Kart 8 and I bought that download.
I think its better to have em on disc. Takes too much space and while sure you get better loading in the end its not that bad loading from disc. (Practice while loading helps while you wait anyway)

Astral Dog

Dammit,the game gives you heart pieces like they are candy, its making the difficulty a joke, but i cant stop looking for items or playing the Muspelheims,its already a little easier than the first.

Anbec7

Play on 3rd Climax.

Buy the Bat Within ability ASAP.

Save for Hearts and Moon Pearls.

Avoid Tag Climax until you beat the game or are near finishing it because there may be spoiler weapons/characters.

Thanks will do!
What is the 3rd Climax?

I'll avoid Tag Climax I got spoiled something in a youtube video sadly, came out of nowhere!
1 more hour to go! hype intensifies..
Moon river intensifiesss

Vexxan

Question about the Special Edition for this game: I've seen some packages that has both the games in one case and some of them have the games in separate cases. Does anyone know what's the deal with that? Is it some Europe/US difference?

Zomba13

How do I unlock verse cards 13 and 53, the ones with extra characters?

It's random. Just keep playing Tag Climax until you get challenged by a verse. Dunno if you need to beat the game first or not. I didn't encounter any till I beat the game.

Question about the Special Edition for this game: I've seen some packages that has both the games in one case and some of them have the games in separate cases. Does anyone know what's the deal with that? Is it some Europe/US difference?

NA has 1 and 2 bundled in the same case for the normal price, EU has a "Special Edition" version that costs extra, comes in a box and has 1 and 2 in separate cases.

Last night, I booted up Bayonetta 2 for the first time, jumped straight into 3rd Climax, and beat the game in one sitting (took about 11 hours including time spent going back and unlocking the 3 weapons I had missed). I unlocked
the characters Jeanne and Rosa
, and man, the game is not fucking around when they say
Rosa deals extra damage and can't take a hit.
If you're on point, you can get easy Pure Platinums with her. But the interesting thing about it is that unlike every other character in the game,
Rosa
does not have 1-hit KO protection.

When playing as Bayonetta, for example, if you have 50 health and are hit by an attack that does 100 damage, it'll take you down to 1 health. If you have healing items, you can save them until you're down to 1 HP and get a lot more mileage out of them than you would if you didn't save them, especially on higher difficulties.

When playing as
Rosa
? You can miss a dodge, then die immediately. But her enormous attack power just melts enemies in Infinite Climax difficulty, though. She's definitely the character to use once you get familiar with the game.

Top Bottom