• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

God, that fucking Masked Lumen fight! THAT FUCKING MASKED LUMEN FIGHT! That was utterly sublime. I've never seen a boss so fast, so aggressive, and that was the FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH THAT DUDE! The first encounter is an EPIC FOUR PHASE BATTLE that ends in the motherfucking sky with me controlling a giant demon lady punching the shit out of a statue-faced angel OH GOD.

Seriously, that was magnificent. That's easily up there with the best rival fights in the genre. It honestly makes the Vergil fights in DMC3 seem tame by comparison. That masked motherfucker was just so fast! I feel like I've got my Dodge Offsetting game down, but even then I had to spend most of the fight Panthering away just to buy enough time to get my Wicked Weaves out, and then he dodged about half of them anyway. As fast as he is, all his attacks still have tells and they're all dodgeable; you just have to knuckle down and fight that sumbitch like you ain't never fought before.

I can't wait to see him again.

Yeah, Masked Lumen is the best rival battle of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Also the OST completely blows Bayonetta 1 out of the water. Like, holy fucking shit are there some good songs here. Tommorow is Mine and Moon River are better than Mysterious Destiny and Fly Me To The Moon, the Alraune boss theme is completely amazing and they even reused the best tracks from the first game in a really fantastic way:
You May Call Me Father

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 14 is worst than anything in Bayonetta 1 by far.

So fucking infuriating when playing for medals. Like, the act of playing is so much more limited and boring. God. I can't stand it.

Cikay

Also the OST completely blows Bayonetta 1 out of the water. Like, holy fucking shit are there some good songs here. Tommorow is Mine and Moon River are better than Mysterious Destiny and Fly Me To The Moon, the Alraune boss theme is completely amazing and they even reused the best tracks from the first game in a really fantastic way:
You May Call Me Father

I disagree. Bayo 2 soundtrack is good, but not as good as Bayo 1 IMO.
There is no new boss theme as powerful as Bayo 1 best battle themes (You may call me father, Blood and Darkness, The greatest jubilee...).
No new stage music as beautiful as the Paradiso and Ithavoll Building tracks in Bayo 1 either... well, actually I think it's the game itself that is lacking stages like Paradiso or Ithavoll in its last third.

Clefargle

Just finished second climax, what a ride! This game deserves all tha accolades it has received, what a masterpiece. I only noticed the frame rate dip a couple of times throughout, overall very smooth. I feel like this game showcases the Wii U quite handily as I even find myself enjoying offscreen play, but not as much as I love the Pro Controller. It made this game feel even more fluid. I'm at a loss for words now, but a truly tremendous game worth every penny.

FtHTiny

Didn´t like the
Bayo-Mech
chapter and though the interactions in
the past
had more potential but otherwise i´m still blown away by the pace and scale of the fights.

Curufinwe

IGN's reviews editor is tearing into Bayonetta on Twitter.

@DanStapleton

This is a guy who only played PC games until he left PC Gamer a couple of years back.

correojon

I had been playing with Katana on hands and Love Is Blue on feet but yesterday I started my 3rd Climax playthrough with Kafka on hands and whip on feet...I can´t stress enough how much I love these new weapons, my playstyle has changed completely. I´m using Chernobog and katana on set B and I´m really surprised at how great the katana moveset on the feet is. So I have set A for mass control and distance fighting and set B when I want things to get personal :) I´m really in love with all the weapons I´ve tried so far, can´t pick a favorite right now they all give you something special and add a lot of variety to the combat. I like how the game is more balanced this time, in Bayo 1 you could absolutely destroy everything with Shuraba and Durga and you really weren´t encouraged to even use set B apart that for style, but now I´m really switching weapon sets to better manage the enemies in different situations.

What weapon sets are you guys using?

This game is so, so good and I´m only starting with it.

IGN's reviews editor is tearing into Bayonetta on Twitter.

@DanStapleton

This is a guy who only played PC games until he left PC Gamer a couple of years back.

Some people have a really hard time having fun, I guess? What a weird criticism. Like, no shit the game is completely insane, that's the entire point. If you like games being realistic or whatever, why would you even bother playing Bayonetta?

ViviOggi

I had been playing with Katana on hands and Love Is Blue on feet but yesterday I started my 3rd Climax playthrough with Kafka on hands and whip on feet...I can´t stress enough how much I love these new weapons, my playstyle has changed completely from when I was using Katana on hands and guns on feet. I´m using Chernobog and katana on set B and I´m really surprised at how great the katana moveset on the feet is. So I have set A for mass control and distance fighting and set B when I want things to get personal :) I´m really in love with all the weapons I´ve tried so far, can´t pick a favorite right now they all give you something special and add a lot of variety to the combat. I like how the game is more balanced this time, in Bayo 1 you could absolutely destroy everything with Shuraba and Durga and you really weren´t encouraged to even use set B apart that for style, but now I´m really switching weapon sets to better manage the enemies in different situations.

What weapon sets are you guys using?

This game is so, so good and I´m only starting with it.
Shuraba + Whips and double Chainsaw for bosses

I like Kafka too, have to experiment some more with it. Not sure how viable it is on IC.

Spoilers ahead on unlockable characters

I feel Jeanne is the best character overall after several playthroughs. Rosa has high damage output and low health, and while Jeanne's witch time is the hardest to activate, it lasts the longest, with a good weapon load out and if you want, the Bracelet of time, she can almost match Rosa's damage output with more variety and health.

Plus she has the best costumes imo. Only thing that bugs me is her taunt when she has Agni(Her version of the chainswords) equipped. Her saying "You Motherfucker" with that pose doesn't fit at all.

rugioh

Banned
I've been sticking to the default guns on the first runthrough but I'm having some difficulty getting my combo score up, even with 2-3 different wicked weaves mid combo. Will this change once you get some of the newer items?

correojon

Shuraba + Whips and double Chainsaw for bosses

I like Kafka too, have to experiment some more with it. Not sure how viable it is on IC.

I was pleasantly surprised with it, first time I tried it I thought it lacked punch, but in fact it has some nice attacks that can make even big enemies flinch, stopping their momentum and giving you more time to position yourself. It´s all about controlling space. Having the whips equipped on feet help a lot when enemies try to come at you from different directions, or to grab an enemy and throw it at a group to keep them all together.

Ninja Dom

UK folk, I would like some advice please.

I'm about to buy Bayonetta 2 RIGHT NOW, digital download. I was about to press the button and pay £39.99 through the eShop directly on the Wii U to buy the game. But then I just checked the GAME website and they are selling the download code for £32.99.

The question is if I buy the download code from GAME will I still qualify for buying Bayonetta 1 for £9.99 extra directly from the eShop??

Edit: In the description on the eShop on Wii U it says Bayonetta is £9.99 providing you have downloaded Bayonetta 2 from the Nintendo eShop on the same Wii U. This doesn't make it much clearer for me.

God, that fucking Masked Lumen fight! THAT FUCKING MASKED LUMEN FIGHT! That was utterly sublime. I've never seen a boss so fast, so aggressive, and that was the FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH THAT DUDE! The first encounter is an EPIC FOUR PHASE BATTLE that ends in the motherfucking sky with me controlling a giant demon lady punching the shit out of a statue-faced angel OH GOD.

Seriously, that was magnificent. That's easily up there with the best rival fights in the genre. It honestly makes the Vergil fights in DMC3 seem tame by comparison. That masked motherfucker was just so fast! I feel like I've got my Dodge Offsetting game down, but even then I had to spend most of the fight Panthering away just to buy enough time to get my Wicked Weaves out, and then he dodged about half of them anyway. As fast as he is, all his attacks still have tells and they're all dodgeable; you just have to knuckle down and fight that sumbitch like you ain't never fought before.

I can't wait to see him again.

That was my reaction after the first fight with him, and them came the next encounter and blew my socks off even more. I envy you, I'd love to experience those fights for the first time again. I hope you're playing on 3rd climax, these fights need to be played on a high difficulty to really appreciate how well designed they are and how good the ai is.

UK folk, I would like some advice please.

I'm about to buy Bayonetta 2 RIGHT NOW, digital download. I was about to press the button and pay £39.99 through the eShop directly on the Wii U to buy the game. But then I just checked the GAME website and they are selling the download code for £32.99.

The question is if I buy the download code from GAME will I still qualify for buying Bayonetta 1 for £9.99 extra directly from the eShop??

Edit: In the description on the eShop on Wii U it says Bayonetta is £9.99 providing you have downloaded Bayonetta 2 from the Nintendo eShop on the same Wii U. This doesn't make it much clearer for me.
Yeah you still get the discount. I don't think eShop even has a way to differentiate between them.

Bought it from GAME myself, and I even got Bayo1 a bit cheaper since it's only 10€ on the Euro side :)

Ninja Dom

Yeah you still get the discount. I don't think eShop even has a way to differentiate between them.

Bought it from GAME myself, and I even got Bayo1 a bit cheaper since it's only 10€ on the Euro side :)

SUPERB!!! Thanks, Buying the download code from GAME now.

EDIT: It worked. Bought the download code from GAME, initiated the download on my Wii U. Now Bayonetta 1 shows up as being £9.99

Finished the game last night, it was an amazing ride. This game is the perfect thing to clear your head after a long day.

I'm not entirely sure about how to feel about that last chapter though. It was ... bizarre indeed. I thought Bayonetta always managed to strike the right balance in tone. The final chapter was the first time I felt that it didn't really work. The way it kept jumping back and forth between super silly and semi serious was a bit strange. I loved what they did with Balder though, I like his character a lot more now. And seeing him do the summon dance was awkward and hilarious at the same time. I expected many crazy things from this game but dancing Balder was not one of them. ^^

As for the final boss: I may be in the minority but I prefer it to Jubileus, I'll take a good fight that requires skill over pure spectacle any day. Jubileus also had those terrible QTE platforming sections that I don't like. Thankfully except that one tiny bit in the beginning those QTE parts are completely gone in Bayonetta 2, just one of the many improvements in the sequel. The design of the boss was a bit of a mixed bag though. A guy in a thong ballet dancing in space and summoning space stations and satellites made me feel like I was playing Final Fantasy.

I was disappointed by the lack of a proper dance sequence. The pole dancing bit was no where near as awesome as that awkward dance video in the first game.

Anyway, amazing game, great sequel. I won't choose between the two because they're more like one big game than two separate entries. I fully understand the decision to bundle the two games after playing part 2.

Volcynika

It's really hilarious trying to explain the character of Bayonetta to someone who has zero idea about her. Friend was over last night when I was finishing up Chapter X and was asking questions.

FtHTiny

Finished the game an hour ago.
Somehow the last boss wasn´t as good as i hoped. Overall the game was great and i´m glad i picked up the wii u a while ago. Now time to look at the trails and the next difficulty.

teeny

Finished the story mode last night on 2nd climax and this game is just amazing. About ready to dive straight back in at a harder difficulty, I cannot get enough. I wonder if there will ever be a third game...

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask. I have never played any of the DMC games. Is the HD collection on PS3 worth it or are there any issues? Are the PS2 games better in any way?

ryushe

The problem of chapter 4 and chapter 7(?) fights is that the game never tops those 2 moments, with the final fight (well the final chapter) being a dissapointment.
I don't know... the build up wasn't there, sure, but the look of the final boss, the color palette of the entire thing and then
fighting side by with Balder
was all hype as shit.

Peff

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask. I have never played any of the DMC games. Is the HD collection on PS3 worth it or are there any issues?

Apart from including DMC2 and some minor issues (menus in 4:3 they didn't remake for example) it's as good as it gets.

Curufinwe

Finished the story mode last night on 2nd climax and this game is just amazing. About ready to dive straight back in at a harder difficulty, I cannot get enough. I wonder if there will ever be a third game...

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask. I have never played any of the DMC games. Is the HD collection on PS3 worth it or are there any issues? Are the PS2 games better in any way?

DMC HD is great. Get it.

If you never select DMC2 from the menu it won't show up on your Trophy list.

teeny

No, avoid it at all costs. Just tell yourself that it doesn't exist.

DMC HD is great. Get it.

If you never select DMC2 from the menu it won't show up on your Trophy list.

DMC2 is probably the worst action game I've played. It's not even worth a play out of curiosity. It's that bad.

Wow, okay, I'll take that advice! Just ordered the game. I'm lending the Wii U to a friend for a week or so, so this will fill the gap nicely.

Morts

Finished last night and immediately restarted on 3rd Climax. I remember dying a lot more in the first game but I suppose I have more experience with this genre than I did back in 2010.

I also completely forgot that
Balder
was in the first game until skimming this thread. In fact I remember so little I can't really compare the two games at all. Very satisfied though.

They are all fine ports, just still dont play dmc , also pick up dmc4.
Also pick up oniumusha hd, capcom totally made it ):

I hope you're playing on 3rd climax, these fights need to be played on a high difficulty to really appreciate how well designed they are and how good the ai is.

Wouldn't have it any other way. And, yeah, I just reached the second fight with him and good GOD that was incredible! It eschews the spectacle of the first one in favour of a straight-up, traditional one-on-one (with angel and demon summons, of course) battle royale in an arena, and it's magnificent. I swear the Sage was even more aggressive this time, and faster, with more attacks to learn. I love that he switches up his attack speed so that you can't just get into a rhythm of dodging every time he gets close; sometimes he'll attack immediately, but sometimes he'll warp right at you then start charging a big sweep that'll catch you every time if you don't spot the tell and dodge too early.

I'm in awe here. Platinum is my favourite developer, character action is my favourite genre, and this game is just shattering all my sky-high expectations. I feel like I have to bite down on my wallet while I play :p

Wow, okay, I'll take that advice! Just ordered the game. I'm lending the Wii U to a friend for a week or so, so this will fill the gap nicely.

If you like Bayonetta you'll definitely enjoy DMC3SE and 4. They're great games with incredible combat systems. I don't think either is as good all around as Bayonetta 1 or 2, but they're still excellent games.

edit: So on replays you can fast forward through the "walk" dialogue. Just mash A to make it go by! Now you don't have to suffer those sequences on replays.

Jintor

Actually died in Witch Trial 3 because I was experimenting with the giant hammer. Finished it proper though. Gonna unlock the chainsaws tommorrow then on to Climax 3. I've been finding Climax 2 a bit of a challenge, but that's just because I immediately restart if I get hit lol

correojon

I made the mistake of buying the Prima guide (digital)...I´m terribly disappointed. Not even a listing of combos or strategies against enemies, you just get the same descriptions you get in the game.

Guess I´ll just use it to find all the upgrades when I get tired of searching for them by myself.

Is a Future Press guide planned for this? The one for Bayo 1 was incredible.

ViviOggi

I made the mistake of buying the Prima guide (digital)...I´m terribly disappointed. Not even a listing of combos or strategies against enemies, you just get the same descriptions you get in the game.

Guess I´ll just use it to find all the upgrades when I get tired of searching for them by myself.

Is a Future Press guide planned for this? The one for Bayo 1 was incredible.
Yeah their guide for W101 wasn't too great either, hardly anything useful in there beyond chapter breakdowns and lists of hidden stuff. Saur can't start uploading Bayo 2 videos soon enough.

As for the final boss: I may be in the minority but I prefer it to Jubileus, I'll take a good fight that requires skill over pure spectacle any day. Jubileus also had those terrible QTE platforming sections that I don't like.

I actually did as well... Jubeileus is one of the most overrated final bosses on GAF I think. I didn't think this one was all that great either, but a little better than Jub. Honestly the only final boss by Platinum that I really enjoyed was in TW101.

correojon

Yeah their guide for W101 wasn't too great either, hardly anything useful in there beyond chapter breakdowns and lists of hidden stuff. Saur can't start uploading Bayo 2 videos soon enough.

I think he´s going to make videos for Bayo1first to help all the newcomers so it may take a while :(

Hugstable

Banned
Finished Bayo 1 the other night, time to finally dive more deep into Bayo 2. I've gotten through Chapter 1 so I'm still barely getting started. I did play Bayo 1 for a bit on hard, took a break on the prologue after I died horribly, will try Hard modes someday again once I'm actually good at these games lol.

Astral Dog

Finished the game last night, it was an amazing ride. This game is the perfect thing to clear your head after a long day.

I'm not entirely sure about how to feel about that last chapter though. It was ... bizarre indeed. I thought Bayonetta always managed to strike the right balance in tone. The final chapter was the first time I felt that it didn't really work. The way it kept jumping back and forth between super silly and semi serious was a bit strange. I loved what they did with Balder though, I like his character a lot more now. And seeing him do the summon dance was awkward and hilarious at the same time. I expected many crazy things from this game but dancing Balder was not one of them. ^^

As for the final boss: I may be in the minority but I prefer it to Jubileus, I'll take a good fight that requires skill over pure spectacle any day. Jubileus also had those terrible QTE platforming sections that I don't like. Thankfully except that one tiny bit in the beginning those QTE parts are completely gone in Bayonetta 2, just one of the many improvements in the sequel. The design of the boss was a bit of a mixed bag though. A guy in a thong ballet dancing in space and summoning space stations and satellites made me feel like I was playing Final Fantasy.

I was disappointed by the lack of a proper dance sequence. The pole dancing bit was no where near as awesome as that awkward dance video in the first game.

Anyway, amazing game, great sequel. I won't choose between the two because they're more like one big game than two separate entries. I fully understand the decision to bundle the two games after playing part 2.

Thats Bayonetta for you, i think the ending got the tone perfectly, well until the last couple scenes,
Edit: im having trouble with spoiler bars on mobile :/

Finished Bayo 1 the other night, time to finally dive more deep into Bayo 2. I've gotten through Chapter 1 so I'm still barely getting started. I did play Bayo 1 for a bit on hard, took a break on the prologue after I died horribly, will try Hard modes someday again once I'm actually good at these games lol.

Definitely revisit 1 and try to do the higher difficulties once you feel more comfortable. There's a lot of unlockables and bonus stuff in it that you'll miss otherwise.

2 is a little more lax in that regard. 3rd Climax is this game's equivalent to Hard mode in the first and it's definitely easier to clear. Getting all of the unlockables seems like it's gonna be easier in 2 for the most part.

ViviOggi

I think he´s going to make videos for Bayo1first to help all the newcomers so it may take a while :(
True, I was a little sad when I saw yesterday's first Umbran Arts episode was only about the first game. Nintendo really should have hired him to do the official guide.

FtHTiny

Played 2 rounds of Tag Climax and find it kinda sad that it´s built up like some competition. I thought it was some coop challanges but that only one gets halo´s if he wins is kinda a bummer.
I know rather soon all you need halo´s for are costumes but i would still prefer if both got something.

jacobeid

Banned
Yeah, Masked Lumen is the best rival battle of all time. OF ALL TIME.

You May Call Me Father

I'm on chapter 10 of Bayonetta 2 and yeah, the masked lumen battles are amazing.

Finished last night and immediately restarted on 3rd Climax. I remember dying a lot more in the first game but I suppose I have more experience with this genre than I did back in 2010.

I just replayed Bayonetta 1 and I died A LOT more in that game than in Bayonetta 2 so far, but I think a lot of those deaths came mostly from QTE sequences that I messed up.

Played 2 rounds of Tag Climax and find it kinda sad that it´s built up like some competition. I thought it was some coop challanges but that only one gets halo´s if he wins is kinda a bummer.
I know rather soon all you need halo´s for are costumes but i would still prefer if both got something.

If you want lots of halos win or lose, pick Verse Card 21, the one against Worship. It's ridiculously easy on 3 stars and you can rack up at least 100k halos every time.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Cheers. I knew DMC2 was "disappointing", but is it still worth a playthrough?

Only for academic purposes. Won't really take long at all to realize how shallow it is comparatively with all the depth, personality, and franchise identity having been completely gutted. At that point you are either curious to push through the 6-ish hours to witness the full trainwreck, or convinced enough to go play a proper DMC game again.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
DMC2 feels like a 20 hour slog even though it isn't too long. But yeah, it's terrible and there's nothing to really take away from it aside from quelling a sick curiosity.

Have played up to Chapter 13 so far and am really enjoying it. I'm playing on 2nd Climax until my Pro Controller arrives but as described on the previous page, the Lumen Sage fights are already thrilling enough. It feels as if once your Witch Time has elapsed he's constantly on the attack again, great stuff.

Got all the weapons (that I can at this stage) and am really liking the damage ability of the hammer. Not too sure what to make of the bow though, seems not entirely useful - though I could be completely wrong.

So far I'm not sure if I'm enjoying it as much as the fresh experience that the first game was but it's definitely up there.

Top Bottom