• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Wow, Chapter I is being pretty adventure like and long. Im having a blast with the game and I feel it has improved everything from the first one by a whole lot. It's like this time secrets are hidden in apt places making you look for them and have fun in the enviroments.

Love that Valiance's description in the book of angels refers directily to Wonderful 101.
Was reading about his valantium blade and I smiled, but the end paragraph basically says that one day that same sword will be used by a group of 100 heroes to save the world from an invasion.
Subtlety through the window. lol

Loving having to practice in witch trial V, verse 4 is still the one i panic in and can end an attempt short but 1/2/3 i can do without getting hit. Haven't worked out a good strat for verse 5 yet, but can get it down sometimes, if anyone's got any tips for that fight it would be appreciated.

Danielsan

Just finished the game for the first time, on third climax. Really had a blast with the mid-chapters in the game. Didn't care for the shitty mech and harrier chapters. Though I will give them that the latter is a vast improvement over Bayonetta 1.

Great game overall and I look forward to tackling the chapters on other difficulties, trying to improve my ratings for the chapters, collecting more unlockables and trying tag climax. That said, this game did not click with me as much as I hoped as it would. Maybe this will improve with repeated play throughs, because I do think this is a grower, but for now it probably doesn't rate in my top 3 of the year.

antitrop

Is the Mallet of Rewards worth buying super early? Like the first major purchase?

I have 100k Halos on Chapter 3, thinking about just picking it up now.

Fbh

Finally getting this tomorrow.

Prices are still crazy were I live ($80!!!!!!) but I'll just trade in some old stuff.

Can't wait!!!

Is the Mallet of Rewards worth buying super early? Like the first major purchase?

Eh, why not. Money stops being a concern once you try out Tag Climax honestly. You'll make more than that from a single session.

So far I've gotten a few cards during the game telling me to go to tag climax..

Is that spoiler territory? I don't want to play it seeing locations from the game I haven't seen yet.

jwillenn

listening to the soundtrack through the jukebox now!

1st playthrough (3rd Climax) - Gold overall

2nd playthrough (Infinite Climax) will be an all Chapter Platinums run without using items or Continue from Title.
I'll begin this next week sometime after I complete Stealth Inc. 2.
This will be done before the end of the year. I'll mix in a lot of Tag Climax with this run.

3rd playthrough (Infinite Climax) will be an attempt at All Pures without using items or Continue from Title. That will never happen, but I'll be working on it throughout next year between new releases/Smash 4.

So far I've gotten a few cards during the game telling me to go to tag climax..

Is that spoiler territory? I don't want to play it seeing locations from the game I haven't seen yet.

You can't play on any verse cards you don't have unlocked so you don't have to worry about that.

You might see weapons and characters you haven't seen yet if that bothers you however

ReyVGM

I just got a physical Bayo 2. I was dumbfounded that the game didn't come with a club nintendo code.

But then I noticed the backside of the cover art had it. Is this common practice now?

You can't play on any verse cards you don't have unlocked so you don't have to worry about that.

You might see weapons and characters you haven't seen yet if that bothers you however

Yeah I think I'll wait until I'm done. I rather not see characters and weapons out of context.

antitrop

Finished Chapter IV on 3rd Climax.

MGQVdsZ.jpg

I'm sure glad I learned how to Dodge Offset earlier today in Bayonetta 1.

I've made a Google document for us who want to climax play co-op together. I've contacted the OP to add it to the OT, for now quote to reveal here.

Added my name on there, looking forward to playing some co-op :D.

Got only to chapter 3 so far in bayo 2, but god damn does this game feel so much better than the first.

So im just playing Tag Climax with a CPU and I dont know what Im doing. Im getting gold in the rank screen but then the game says FAILURE.

I dont even undertand why is that.

EDIT I just got a Pure Platinum and it said VICTORY
Was the cpu winning the other verses or something? I dont understad how would be that if I dont see the cpu's result screen.
Or do you need to get platinum to get Victory?

So im just playing Tag Climax with a CPU and I dont know what Im doing. Im getting gold in the rank screen but then the game says FAILURE.

I dont even undertand why is that.

EDIT I just got a Pure Platinum and it said VICTORY
Was the cpu winning the other verses or something? I dont understad how would be that if I dont see the cpu's result screen.
Or do you need to get platinum to get Victory?
You have to get more points than the opponent. Your score is beneath your health bar.

You have to get more points than the opponent. Your score is beneath your health bar.

Yeah I just saw that. But the CPU is just too good, just got a pure platinum and she still won, wtf.

Does that mean that if I spend any money and have failure I lose it? Or that doesnt mind?

EDIT
I dont understand, I just saw the CPU doing really nothing on the last verse, me killing all the enemies getting a pure platinum, and I still got less points than her.
What am i doing wrong.

Jintor

Getting used to the new stagger mechanics is pretty offputting. Thankfully I have all this time to practice in 2nd climax before I order a Wii U controller when my next paycheck comes in...

btw, is there a huge challenge mode like angel slayer or is it all broken up into witch trials this time around?

Monocle

You're looking at an essential addition to your defensive game versus a handful of extra halos, some crafting items, and a healing laurel after every torture attack. A modest payout is less important than the ability to repel any attack at any range. I'd buy the Mallet second, provided you already have Bat Within.

someone explain to me how to be good with the hammer, i want to be good with the hammer
Charge, dodge into witch time, hammer everything. Charged attacks can stun enemies and knock them out of whatever they were trying to do.

The icethrowers and whips are good companion weapons for the hammer. Freeze or whip-slam enemies (by holding the corresponding attack button), then hammer them down. Even bosses and huge enemies are vulnerable to freezing and slamming in witch time.

360+P can be extended by tapping the punch button. It's fun to turn into a tornado of death and spin through a crowd of enemies.

OryoN

Read that
Valiantium Blade
/TW-101 reference today. I can't believe how such a tiny tidbit could have such a huge impact on your enjoyment of particular aspects of a game. That was some really cool sh!t.

Jintor

Is there a way to use the whip to pull yourself to enemies like the classic whip or does it function completely differently this time around?

Monocle

Is there a way to use the whip to pull yourself to enemies like the classic whip or does it function completely differently this time around?
You can pull enemies to you if you're in the air. No special input, just hold the attack button as usual.

I haven't found a way to grapple toward an enemy.

Neoweee

Do you not get the Wager bonus halos in co-op mode unless you complete all 6 matches? Because people are quitting after we do 4 in rage after losing a single 3rd difficulty wager. It really ruins the mode completely.

Jintor

You can pull enemies to you if you're in the air. No special input, just hold the attack button as usual.

I haven't found a way to grapple toward an enemy.

Yeah I noticed infinite climb was a lot more difficult this time around. If i recall a thing by Saur I saw floating around it seems there's a timer before your step-on-head-reset-jumps thing reactivates?

antitrop

Zero²;136534213 said:
Well maybe you are just good at it?
Bayonetta 1 has some pacing issues, with regards to enemy introduction. It can feel kind of unfair in the early chapters. Grace and Glory without Witch Time being an obvious moment of early frustration for a first-time player on Normal.

Not to mention the obvious cheap QTEs.

And there are plenty of opportunities in Bayonetta 1 to fuck up your health bar by missing at platforming sections, whereas in 2 there really aren't any (and you don't lose health when you fall, at least in Chapter 2).

Neoweee

Bayonetta 1 has some pacing issues, with regards to enemy encounters. It can feel kind of unfair in the early chapters.

Not to mention the obvious cheap QTEs.

And there are plenty of opportunities in Bayonetta 1 to fuck up your health bar by missing at platforming sections, whereas in 2 there really aren't any (and you don't lose health when you fall, at least in Chapter 2).

I'm assuming you played Bayonetta 1 first, though?

Really? You think 3rd Climax is legitimately easier than Bayo 1 Normal, regardless of experience level?

EDIT: Aside from BS QTE's, I mean.

antitrop

I'm assuming you played Bayonetta 1 first, though?
I just finished my 4th playthrough of Bayonetta 1 today. I'm up to Chapter 6 in Bayo 2 on 3rd Climax, now.

Really? You think 3rd Climax is legitimately easier than Bayo 1 Normal, regardless of experience level?

Yes, absolutely. Considerably so.

For the first few Chapters, Bayonetta 1 feels a bit cheap and unfair on Normal. Bullshit QTEs and floaty platforming sections cause mad frustration. Until you get to the later Chapters and have finally upgraded your health and learned Bat Within or buy the Moon-Parry trinket.

The controls and camera just aren't tight enough to justify the amount of health you lose from missing a platforming jump. I can't express how much that frustrated me in Bayo 1. I spent all my Halos upgrading health as soon as possible so it wouldn't be an issue.

Also, those early Jeanne fights are absolutely brutal. Between her and Grace and Glory, Bayo 1 assaults you with a bunch of "git gud" moments super-early on, while Bayo 2 doesn't really until Chapter
IV

Top Bottom