• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Zocano

Yes, absolutely. Considerably so.

I definitely agree. 3rd Climax feels more in line with Bayonetta 1's normal (I think it's a little tougher but not by much).

Grace and Glory on Bayonetta 1's hard are still some of the hardest enemies in a fighting game and 3rd Climax never comes anywhere near that difficulty.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What do people think about the aerial battles? I'm not sure I'm really a fan, but it feels like I might be missing something about them. It seems to dictate your movement to push you back whenever it feels like it, and focus more on meandering around until you can witch time and attack during the window. I've been replaying earlier chapters and 3 was one I had a silver one, I redid it and had a similar turn out though I got hit at the opening water part that I forgot about, and then redid it again with chainsaws on arms/legs and got well over double the combo score doing the same few moves in the small openings along with taking less time and got the plat.

I like the actual movement options in Bayonetta like turning into a panther to get behind/move back and being able to warp right up to people and these seem to focus more on spectacle.

BriGuy

I swear, the most difficult enemies in the game are
the angels they brought back from bayonetta 1
. They don't telegraph their attacks like the normal enemies, so dodging them requires a keen eye. Not the easiest thing to do with the sheer amount of chaos filing the screen on a regular basis.

That said, I have yet to die or even really use any of my items on 2nd climax and I'm on chapter XV. I haven't even bought any accessories yet because none of them sound like they would be of any use.

What do people think about the aerial battles? I'm not sure I'm really a fan, but it feels like I might be missing something about them. It seems to dictate your movement to push you back whenever it feels like it, and focus more on meandering around until you can witch time and attack during the window. I've been replaying earlier chapters and 3 was one I had a silver one, I redid it and had a similar turn out though I got hit at the opening water part that I forgot about, and then redid it again with chainsaws on arms/legs and got well over double the combo score doing the same few moves in the small openings along with taking less time and got the plat.

I like the actual movement options in Bayonetta like turning into a panther to get behind/move back and being able to warp right up to people and these seem to focus more on spectacle.

I think they're just fine. I think they took some of the criticisms of the original Bayo to heart, like the giant bosses being glorified platforming challenges, and now they made them more like one-on-one fights. They also couldn't do them like the previous encounters cuz you lost the Serious Mode long limbs, so you have to close the gap manually now. They're all pretty easy, but I think they're decent.

Umbran Spear to close the gap instantly with prophet/lumen sage dude helps

Mesoian

I will never know what it is to have the love of a chain chomp.

Seriously, I've never wanted a pet chain chomp more than after beating 3rd climax.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Just beat the game, amazing, amazing ride, the final boss was very sufficient, so now im wanting to hear what people's complaints of it were. Loved it from beginning to end and I honestly want to replay both games right away.

mrmickfran

3rd Climax is easier than Bayo 1 Normal.

And Infinite Climax is DMD level hard.

Though, they did a far better job with enemy tells in this game. It's far more easy dodging attacks in this game compared to the first, it's the enemy pair-ups that make it more difficult (fuck Sloths).

Voror

Man, I am not getting Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa. Between getting the timing right, keeping track of what direction an attack is coming from in big fights and even determining which way you want to tilt the stick is driving me nuts. Is there some trick to this?

Finished it today after a long session.

- The ending didn't really have the same impact the first game did, much less the insanity of The Wonderful 101, but I still really liked the escalation of the last few chapters, particularly the
nostalgia run
in Chapters 13-14.

- Pacing is generally better than the first game, but I do agree with those who've been saying there aren't enough normal/trash mob encounters. I appreciate all the 1v1s and boss set pieces, but I wanna style on fools a little more. Luckily there's plenty of that in the Lost Chapters and Tag Climax.

- Speaking of, Tag Climax is pretty intense. The screen is constantly filled with effects, and the competitive co-op aspect is fun. The only thing I think is missing are double team finishers like Bayonetta does with Jeanne. Would've been a fun way to cap off the round. It's also been a very smooth experience.

- The Chain Chomp is amazing. Not just for the visual of that goofy thing bouncing around behind you, but also for the great projectile animations. It's so Shaw Bros.

- Speaking of animations, the whip moveset might be the best thing Platinum's ever done. The 360 P attack and KKK-K moves in particular are perfection.

- Much unlockables. Many content

GOTY

Jintor

Man, I am not getting Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa. Between getting the timing right, keeping track of what direction an attack is coming from in big fights and even determining which way you want to tilt the stick is driving me nuts. Is there some trick to this?

yeah the trick is to keep practicing because it's hard as balls

Okay I may have jumped the gun. Third climax is WAY harder than 2nd climax OR the boss I'm fighting is just fucking annoying. It's that Paradiso boss that you fight near that gate of hell. It's that pyramid shaped thing. I've died like 10 times already.

Angry Guy

Ugh, man, I really like the big 'ol nasty hammer, but it's really tough to get a decent combo score with it. Maybe it's that I'm on the second run of the game on 1st climax to pick up some halos and get used to how Jeanne plays, but...

So, fellow gaffers, what weapons are you enjoying the most so far? Obviously I'm partial to Take-Mikazuchi, but Rakshasa on arms and legs is really awesome too.

They really went above and beyond with the animations in this game. The animation for Rakshasa and Alruna are stunning.

I just finished ch.1-6 on 3rd climax. Not doing so well though. I couldn't react to enemies' attack. I stopped playing because I'm getting frustrated with ch.7-9 as of now. I'm still not used to the enemies' attack pattern.

JoeFenix

uiTsJvz.png

Man those chainsaws are OP.

Still quite a challenge but if you get the Just Release timing down on those puppies, oh boy!

Ugh, man, I really like the big 'ol nasty hammer, but it's really tough to get a decent combo score with it. Maybe it's that I'm on the second run of the game on 1st climax to pick up some halos and get used to how Jeanne plays, but...

So, fellow gaffers, what weapons are you enjoying the most so far? Obviously I'm partial to Take-Mikazuchi, but Rakshasa on arms and legs is really awesome too.

They really went above and beyond with the animations in this game. The animation for Rakshasa and Alruna are stunning.
I like most of the weapons in this game a lot. I do think Love is Blue is my overall favorite though. The new moveset is so much fun and using dodge offset into wicked weaves feels absolutely amazing. I like the Scythe, Chainsaws, and Bow as well. The only weapon I don't really care for is Undine
Man those chainsaws are OP.

Still quite a challenge but if you get the Just Release timing down on those puppies, oh boy!
Oh man, there's Just timing on them? I want some details!

JoeFenix

Oh man, there's Just timing on them? I want some details!

When you're hitting an enemy the chainsaws start glowing red if you hold down the attack button, release it at the right timing and you'll get a follow up attack.

When combined with Umbran Climax.... It's pure destruction.

jacobeid

Banned
I started on 3rd but was having trouble using only the guns so I dropped it down to 2 and am having a much better experience. You must just be better than I am though. :)

I played a *lot* of the first Bayonetta on PS3 and 2009-2012 pretty much consisted solely of fighting games for me so I'd say that I just have more experience with the genre....if anything. Looks like some people agree that 3rd climax should have been the way to go.

Anyway, I just finished the game. I'll have more detailed thoughts later, but I'm not disappointed in the slightest. My least favorite sections of the game were the
underwater snake
parts, though they were all short enough not to matter.

DukeBobby

Started playing this and just finished chapter 1 on 3rd Climax. Really enjoying it so far.

I got mostly gold and silver medals (and one pure platinum), but due to two deaths I was knocked down to a stone award.

Oof, this rating system is harsh.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Started playing this and just finished chapter 1 on 3rd Climax. Really enjoying it so far.

I got mostly gold and silver medals (and one pure platinum), but due to two deaths I was knocked down to a stone award.

Oof, this rating system is harsh.

If you think this is harsh you should play Bayo 1.
KuGsj.gif

Voror

yeah the trick is to keep practicing because it's hard as balls

I guess I've just got to keep on trying, but just working on dodging seems a better sort of strategy overall. That said, I could see this being extremely useful for foes like the Masked Lumen.

It seems to dictate your movement to push you back whenever it feels like it, and focus more on meandering around until you can witch time and attack during the window.

Nah. The lack of a floor makes it hard to notice unless you play Tag Climax and watch them target your partner, but Air Bosses have really high mobility. The only push back is from some of the bosses having attacks made to create distance between themselves and the player.

I think they're just fine. I think they took some of the criticisms of the original Bayo to heart, like the giant bosses being glorified platforming challenges, and now they made them more like one-on-one fights. They also couldn't do them like the previous encounters cuz you lost the Serious Mode long limbs, so you have to close the gap manually now. They're all pretty easy, but I think they're decent.

Umbran Spear to close the gap instantly with prophet/lumen sage dude helps

Also worth mentioning that Jump is replaced with a dash in air battles.

someone explain to me how to be good with the hammer, i want to be good with the hammer

Full charge in midair.

Jintor

I guess I've just got to keep on trying, but just working on dodging seems a better sort of strategy overall. That said, I could see this being extremely useful for foes like the Masked Lumen.

Generally speaking dodge is my go-to in bayo 2 at least because a perfect parry isn't as useful as it used to be. But parrying to get out of flurries of attacks when you're in hitstun is still fine... though if you're in hitstun that means you got hit, which is less than ideal

remz

Bayonetta 1 has some pacing issues, with regards to enemy introduction. It can feel kind of unfair in the early chapters. Grace and Glory without Witch Time being an obvious moment of early frustration for a first-time player on Normal.

Not to mention the obvious cheap QTEs.

And there are plenty of opportunities in Bayonetta 1 to fuck up your health bar by missing at platforming sections, whereas in 2 there really aren't any (and you don't lose health when you fall, at least in Chapter 2).

The no witch time grace and glories (gracious and glorious) don't show up until like the 3rd last chapter or something.

Maybe the grading is less severe, but playing Chapter 1 on the Jets culminating in that dragon fight is a lot harder than the first stage of oringinal bayonetta. IMO.

Monocle

Oh. My. God. I finally beat the Platinum Ticket version of Rodin. No charge bullet stunlock exploit, no Climax Brace 2.

That was by far the most difficult thing I've ever done in a video game. I feel like a fucking champ.

I like that wearing that one costume makes the obligatory Platinum flight segment actually play well.

Anyway, I beat 3rd Climax earlier today. I agree with people saying that it's around the difficulty level of Bayonetta normal, but it's easier to get a good rank because there's no item penalty. I actually got a few platinums, and my lowest score was a silver in three of the chapters. The game is even better the second time through.

Is there any reason to go through on 1st Climax?

Monocle

I like that wearing that one costume makes the obligatory Platinum flight segment actually play well.
Thanks to that easter egg I don't mind the flight segment one bit. Never thought I'd be able to say that about a genre switch in an action game, but yeah.

Anyway, I beat 3rd Climax earlier today. I agree with people saying that it's around the difficulty level of Bayonetta normal, but it's easier to get a good rank because there's no item penalty. I actually got a few platinums, and my lowest score was a silver in three of the chapters. The game is even better the second time through.

Is there any reason to go through on 1st Climax?
You unlock the Immortal Marionette, an accessory that lets you play in automatic mode on higher difficulties.

hao chi

Played a few hours of the coop earlier. It's so much fun playing with a partner. Unfortunately the person I was playing with is still only on chapter six so they didn't have too many verses, but it was still a lot of fun.

It was also nice racking up Halos quickly. I bought a few costumes and quite a few other things just during our matches.

Lumyst

Just finished playing Bayonetta 2 on 2nd climax, (I did Bayonetta 1 on Normal). Wow, I didn't know how awesome these two games would be, or how readily I would take to this kind of game. I would say that Bayonetta 1 has the more epic scenario, Bayonetta 2 seems kind of "cartoonish" compared to Bayonetta 1. My immediate impression without much analysis is that Bayonetta 2 has more satisfying controls and is smoother to play, and it really uses the WiiU to create beautiful imagery, BUT it feels like Bayonetta 1 is the game that is essential to play, if that makes sense. Like, it's possible to only experience Bayonetta 1 and not 2, but for a person who enjoyed 1, 2 provides even more to enjoy, and for a person casually playing (me, for instance), 2 is the more accessible.

And things like the Star Fox homages makes me think they knew the outcome would be that this package would introduce some older Nintendo gamers to the series. I think Platinum has outdone Nintendo with the use of Nintendo's own hardware, what with Wonderful 101 last year and Bayonetta 2 this year. I hope Nintendo themselves will be able to create these kinds of games with a big scale and have them be a frequent part of their output once they're fully adjusted to HD development, and hopefully they learned from Platinum regarding what is expected and necessary to create games in a timely manner at this level.

Fandangox

Oh man Witch trial 5 is gonna be fun.

Tried it twice, one attack eliminated 80% of my top bar.

The second try got to the third verse with
Loptr and Aurane
abd almost got them, its almost 4am, gonna try tomorrow again.

The one thing I didn't like about Bayonetta 1 that the sequel doesn't fix is the way you unlock new weapons. Taking them to Rodin and having them introduced with a static image is really anticlimactic, and I really hate the way they hide the LP pieces away. I missed out on Kilgore when I was replaying Bayo 1 earlier in the week to catch up, and today I just randomly found an LP piece in a chest hidden way away in one of the underwater Snake sections in Bayo 2 that I would easily have missed if I wasn't in an exploring mood.

Heart pieces, magic upgrades, sure, but I just don't get the logic behind hiding weapons in a character action game. Getting a new weapon should be a momentous occasion with sweet intro cutscene and a huge fight to let you test them out. I've always loved the DMC3 approach, where your weapons are formed from the souls of the bosses you beat and you get a rad cutscene of Dante swinging'em around, and then you fight Beowulf and he flattens Dante and Vergil ends up taking his weapon and then you have to fight Vergil with Beowulf and it's the most hype shit ever.

I still love Bayonetta, of course, but it could still stand to learn a thing or two from the ol' stalwart :p

Giolon

Whew, finally beat the game! What a ride. I was a little let down by the final sequence - it just felt so much less epic than Bayonetta 1's finale. But that's ok - Bayo 2 was still a great game and cast everything in a new light.

I do have a question about the very first chapter of the game "Records of Time - The End".

When exactly is that supposed to take place? The timing of the Prologue of Bayonetta 1 is pretty easily placed during the Witch Hunts, but "Records of Time - The End" doesn't seem to mesh with anything else we've seen. Given Rosa's presence, it would seem this is again during the Witch Hunts, yet we also see Insidous flying around and no demons were present or hinted at being present during this time (It might stand to reason that some of them would come to help their Witch masters out.) We also see the Umbran Armor both equipped by Bayonetta and them flying around in the sky.

Yet at the end of all of this, Bayonetta encounteres the Masked Sage, seemingly for the first time given her apparent surprise at him being a Lumen Sage and comments that the last sage she met droned on for 20 minutes. However, by the events of the game, Bayonetta has already met him by the point where she's sent back in time to the Witch Hunts, and none of his abilities or appearance should be surprising. So even should the timing be in the middle of the Witch Hunts, at what point would it take place given this game left us with no explicit unobserved time gaps to fill in? Another point that would seem to indicate it NOT being part of the Witch Hunts is that it has the presence of the "new" Angelic enemies, which aren't present during the entire Witch Hunt sequence.

Zocano

Ooof.

I've been ragging on the standard difficulties a lot but that by no means means that the game is always easy.

Jeanne + Gaze of Despair is quite a ride even on 2nd Climax.

Honestly, it's mostly insanely hard because of the witch time trigger window. It feels even smaller than Bayonetta 1 (and I literally only ever get it if I trigger Bat/Moth within).

Darksheik

Oh. My. God. I finally beat the Platinum Ticket version of Rodin. No charge bullet stunlock exploit, no Climax Brace 2.

That was by far the most difficult thing I've ever done in a video game. I feel like a fucking champ.

I'm trying as well. How you did that, simply avoid and attack? Which weapons did you use?

Aside, what is the charge bullet stunlock exploit and how do I can get the Climax Brace 2?

Top Bottom