• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Jintor

I unlocked the chainsaws, they fucking rule. But I'm getting my ass kicked on Witch Trial 4... that's a hell of an endurance slog. Not even at 5 or above yet...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Got the game yesterday, today I started it.

Man, it's insane since the beginning. Awesome :D

iW1hv15zPHakQ.jpg

First gold too!

What do people think about the aerial battles? I'm not sure I'm really a fan, but it feels like I might be missing something about them. It seems to dictate your movement to push you back whenever it feels like it, and focus more on meandering around until you can witch time and attack during the window. I've been replaying earlier chapters and 3 was one I had a silver one, I redid it and had a similar turn out though I got hit at the opening water part that I forgot about, and then redid it again with chainsaws on arms/legs and got well over double the combo score doing the same few moves in the small openings along with taking less time and got the plat.

I like the actual movement options in Bayonetta like turning into a panther to get behind/move back and being able to warp right up to people and these seem to focus more on spectacle.

One too many air battles for my liking, but still good fun. You can get in closer with the jump button, though. No Arrow Spear possible, but it's probably the quickest way to get close when pushed back.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I platinumed all of third climax.

I really enjoyed the game. But man. The aerial battles and the mecha-battles were just... so much less enjoyable than everything else.

Mechazawa

Are there any verse cards that are missable in Tag Climax from story mode? I cleared 3rd Climax and I have a few pockets in my verse cards, but I have no idea how to unlock them.

Are there any verse cards that are missable in Tag Climax from story mode? I cleared 3rd Climax and I have a few pockets in my verse cards, but I have no idea how to unlock them.
Do Witch Trials to unlock some. I believe four of them are random appearances in Tag Climax so you'll get those just from playing the mode.

FtHTiny

Ok guys, what are some ground rules to finding every encounter in the levels. I´m missing a few and i can´t seem to find them. Do i not backtrack enough? Am i missing some obvious thing?

Just finished a pure platinum run through 3rd Climax. On to Infinite!
(I've been uploading my replays here, if anyone wants to check them out. Chapters 11+ will be in 60 fps.)

Amazing game, anyway. Platinum went and fixed just about everything that sucked about the original and made a sequel that surpasses it in every way. It's definitely going to give Ninja Gaiden II a run for its money as the best game in the genre.

Amazing game, anyway. Platinum went and fixed just about everything that sucked about the original and made a sequel that surpasses it in every way. It's definitely going to give Ninja Gaiden II a run for its money as the best game in the genre.

Agreed. I only miss Kilgore and the Umbran Portal Kick, but yeah.

(I've been uploading my replays here, if anyone wants to check them out. Chapters 11+ will be in 60 fps.)

Thanks for posting these, I'm sure there's a lot to learn from watching!

rugioh

Banned

Very useful stuff. I'll keep this as a guide for all the verses that I miss.

i just finished Bayo1 on hard, can i jump to Bayo2 now? am i missing something by not playing infinite climax?

I'd say play through Bayonetta 2 on 3rd Climax and save clearing up Bayonetta 1 for later. That game is HUGE with post-game unlockables and stuff, more so than the sequel and definitely worth going back to over time.

Can somebody tell me how to unlock the sickle and the chainsaws? Chapter numbers where the gold record parts are would probably be sufficient.

k, have to say again how much I hate the way they hide weapons away in these games. I've just found out I missed out on a hidden LP piece for the Hammer, so... awesome. Now I don't get to use that until my next playthrough. Great. Why, Platinum? Why u do dis? What kind of a character action game hides weapons away? WHYYYY?

Anyway, just finished Chapter 11 and that's literally the only complaint I have against the game. Everything else has been utterly glorious, better than I'd ever imagined. Third Climax is getting hard in these later stages, and these Inferno enemies are absolute beasts, but I'm loving every minute of it.

Anbec7

Just beat the game... wow

I really liked it, now I see why it got such positive reviews it's basically a rollercoaster, I specially liked how the story got together in a full circle more with the confusing beginning with Balder, the music, the fights are incredible! Well now.... to get all the costumes and characters!

Now how do I unlock...
Rodin
Balder
Who else is on Tag Climax??

Monocle

I'm trying as well. How you did that, simply avoid and attack? Which weapons did you use?

Aside, what is the charge bullet stunlock exploit and how do I can get the Climax Brace 2?
I know of a couple good ways to beat Rodin. I'll go into detail about the method that worked best for me, which I think is the easier of the two. There's a lot to cover here so I'm going to break this post into categories.

SPOILERS FOR UNLOCKABLES AHEAD

The strategy:

- Use
Rosa
with the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa and Eternal Testimony. As for weapons,
she can equip only her pistols, which is just fine because they hit like shotguns. Ranged shotguns.

- Disable Crow Within and the jump+P attack in the weapon menu (press X and scroll to the Special tab, I think). These will mess you up.

- Bait Rodin into attacking then dodge into witch time. He has many instant attacks that are very easy to dodge with practice. Look for his flashing eyes and listen for the chime before his ranged punches. These attacks are the easiest to see coming and you'll want to stay in the range where he uses them as often as possible.

- Rodin has predictable attacks at specific ranges and positions. Memorize all of them. Here's a list of common ones: Above you, drop kick. Underneath you, rising uppercut. In the air at mid-range, dive kick or ranged uppercut or punch -> punch -> delayed punch. On the ground at mid-range or long-range, ranged punches or ground stomp.

- Tricky attacks: Dive kick; very fast, no signals. Ground stomp; hitbox travels ahead of visible shockwave. Backdash -> charging punch; no signals, sometimes charges toward you without punching then does a close-range attack a moment later. Rodin can delay all close-range attacks (except his rising uppercut) or use them instantly, so he's probably toughest to deal with when he's right next to you.

- Attack with nothing but PPP -> jump -> PPP, and make sure to extend each hit by holding the attack button. (The jump cancels out of the first PPP so you can repeat it faster.) This does the most consistent damage of anything I've tried. Sometimes you can get away with PPPK for a nice chunk of extra damage, but that kick takes a little too long to come out. You can also try using PPPPP and PPPPK against his first form, but he usually dodges the last hits, and it's rare to nail him with a wicked weave outside of witch time.

- Teleport to Rodin with Umbran Spear after you dodge one of his ranged attacks, or when you want to bait a close attack. You can be much more aggressive than you'd expect against his first form. In fact, I recommend it. Umbran Spear will pass right through a lot of his longer range stuff, and if you get comfortable with his close-range attacks you can stay in his face and constantly pop into witch time. Teleporting and then attacking immediately can make him flinch, but make sure you're ready to dodge. Try using the shots from your extended PPP to bait his predictable mid-range and long-range attacks. Jump above him to bait the rising uppercut, then smack him during witch time while you're both airborne. Stay in the air more if you're having trouble with his ground stomp.

- When Rodin transforms, swap out the Eternal Testimony for the Bracelet of Time. Play safe now, because he can't be stunned at all in demon form! Only use PPP (still extending each hit), and only after you've activated the Bracelet. Be extra attentive to dodging here. Remember his patterns and don't get caught up in attacking. Watch him carefully while you're in witch time to make sure you won't get hit as soon as it deactivates.

Tips and the second strategy:

The most important thing to do is memorize all of Rodin's attacks based on his range and position. If you practice against him for a few hours, you'll find that dodging his attacks becomes much easier. If you're getting destroyed in seconds, try again the next day. He probably killed me well over 100 times, but eventually I got to a point where I could take down his first health bar every few attempts without much trouble.

When dodging Rodin's individual attacks comes naturally, the main thing is to bait him into a predictable pattern like I said earlier. This is the time to pop off shots at mid-range and rush him down with Umbran Spear. He has very limited options in the air and at mid-range.

If you're interested, the other method I mentioned at the beginning is to use Bayonetta or Jeanne in the Hero of Time outfit (for the free Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa effect),
the Earrings of Ruin (to replace Umbran Climax with the mech), and the Eternal Testimony. Weapon set A is the ice thrower and chain chomp, weapon set B is the ice thrower and whip. The basic strategy is to freeze Rodin then use the chain chomp's 360+K attack to deal loads of damage. (Hilariously, you can make Rodin bounce all over the arena with extended chain chomp attacks.) The whip is for baiting attacks and it can grapple slam Rodin's first form during witch time. For his second form I switched weapon set A to the quad chainsaws and used the mech's PPP (last hit extended) as often as possible. I never got him down to his last bar this way. Rosa worked much better.

Getting the unlockables:

Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa: Purchase any time at the shop.
Eternal Testimony: Find all 20 crows then purchase at the shop.
(guide here)
Bracelet of Time: Earn a gold rank for all chapters on 2nd Climax or above, purchase at the shop.
Earrings of Ruin: Complete Chapter 14, purchase at the shop.
Rosa & Chain Chomp: Complete the game on 3rd Climax. You can finish the chapters in any order and skip all optional verses.

Details on the accessories and character:

Rosa deals much more damage than Bayonetta and Jeanne, but her defense is much lower and she lacks the one hit KO protection that Bayonetta and Jeanne have, where an otherwise fatal blow will reduce their health to one hitpoint. Rosa's low defense doesn't matter against Rodin; he'll kill anyone in a few hits. It's her insane attack power that makes the difference. The extended attacks of Rosa's pistols will make Rodin's first form flinch and can knock him out of some attacks. Even the bullets you fire when you hold an attack button and dodge have this property. Rosa's Umbran Climax gives her the Umbran Armor (that mech from Chapter 14). Its PPP deals ridiculous damage when you extend the third hit. Even though Rodin can't kill you while you're in the mech, he can drain your health to one HP and hit you as soon as the mech deactivates. It's safer to use the Bracelet.

The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa's parry function can save you from a hit, but you never want to rely on it. You must try to dodge everything because Rodin's attacks chain together so quickly that he'll often hit you right after your parry. The Eternal Testimony keeps two small magic gauges filled at all times, which means you can always use Umbran Spear to teleport to Rodin. The Bracelet of Time removes witch time after dodging and lets you activate it manually instead. The effect lasts just long enough for
Rosa's
fully extended PPP combo.

The charge bullet stunlock exploit and the Climax Brace 2:

You can drain Rodin's entire first health bar with the charge bullet skill available at the shop. He can't escape the stun loop of charge -> shoot (tap Y rapidly) -> charge - > shoot -> (repeat) until he transforms. The downside is that it can be hard to hit him with the first charged shot, and you earn no magic during the whole process. Since you need magic to use the Bracelet of Time on Rodin's second form, the exploit does more harm than good if you're sticking with the method that worked for me.

The Climax Brace 2
is unlocked by earning platinum for all chapters on 2nd Climax or above. The Brace increases your attack power during Umbran Climax while lowering your defense. This is great for Rosa. Her supercharged mech can nearly drain one of Rodin's life bars with several PPPs (final hit extended). If you have this accessory, feel free to use it instead of the Bracelet of Time against Rodin's second form.

Videos:

With
Rosa and the Climax Brace 2
:
by michellegun201
by General_Beatrix
by Daedron12

With Bayonetta:
by gn03288200
by mur mur

With Jeanne:
by Silvius Sama

Any crazy combo vids yet?
Always count on michellegun201. His or her infinite climax playthrough is full of wonderful high level play too.

Now how do I unlock...
Rodin
Balder
Who else is on Tag Climax??
They show up as random verse cards in Tag Climax. You have to win the battle and survive the verse set.

Tag Climax has everything. Everything! Even some battles you won't find in the main game.

FtHTiny

k, have to say again how much I hate the way they hide weapons away in these games. I've just found out I missed out on a hidden LP piece for the Hammer, so... awesome. Now I don't get to use that until my next playthrough. Great. Why, Platinum? Why u do dis? What kind of a character action game hides weapons away? WHYYYY?

Anyway, just finished Chapter 11 and that's literally the only complaint I have against the game. Everything else has been utterly glorious, better than I'd ever imagined. Third Climax is getting hard in these later stages, and these Inferno enemies are absolute beasts, but I'm loving every minute of it.

You can just play that chapter again and grab it if you want it.

Just replay the stage and write down which verses you missed while skipping all the cutscenes if it bothers you that much. Might as well get a Platinum rank on the chapter as well!

I missed the hammer on my first playthrough and didn't mind whatsoever. I only used like 2-3 of the weapons during my first playthrough and still, 40 hours in, have barely scratched the surface with any of them.

Adaren

Jeanne + Gaze of Despair is quite a ride even on 2nd Climax.

Honestly, it's mostly insanely hard because of the witch time trigger window. It feels even smaller than Bayonetta 1 (and I literally only ever get it if I trigger Bat/Moth within).

In Bayonetta 1, Jeanne only triggered Witch Time on Moth Within.

You can just play that chapter again and grab it if you want it.

I'd have to play through both chapters with a walkthrough, because I have no idea which LP piece I missed. I mean, it's not the end of the world; I'm going to be doing it sooner or later to find the Heart Pieces and Muspelheims I missed anyway, I just think it's such a dumb way of handling weapons in a character action game. Getting a new weapon should be a huge deal, and it is in practically every other game in the genre (even other Kamiya ones; think how hype the original Alastor intro scene in DMC1 is)., but for some reason the Bayonetta games hide them away so you end up not even seeing them without going to GameFAQs. I really disliked it in the first game, and I still really dislike it in the second. I've been looking forward to playing with that Hammer for months now :p

Monocle

First of all thanks! Pretty good information I'll try that.

Any Halo farming videos yet? I was avoiding all spoilers until I beat the game so... I'm now open to all those awesome combo videos and tips lol
Yeah, right here! (Spoilers for Chapter 14) You can also do it in Tag Climax in the verse with the
spaceship angel thing
that you fight in Chapter 14. Crank it up to three stars, because the fight's easy. Just spam PPP and extend the last hit.

Darksheik

I just discovered that you can collect all the card without passing the lost chapter number 5! I was thinking that one card was tied to beating that level but no!

So now the question is, what is the reward for passing the lost chapter 5 mission?

Edit: Thanks Monocle very appreciated!

Astral Dog

That turn off screen option of the Gamepad is useless for me :/ It still drains the battery like it was on the brightest setting.
Do i need to put the Gamepad far away to use the Pro controller?

That turn off screen option of the Gamepad is useless for me :/ It still drains the battery like it was on the brightest setting.
Do i need to put the Gamepad far away to use the Pro controller?

You can use the pro controller with the gamepad on. Not sure what you're asking.

If you load up the game with the gamepad you may need to switch to the pro in the options menu.

WOW Finished it, what an amazing game. I still don't know if I like it more than Bayo 1, I will decide when I unlock everything and spend more time with the game. some of the boss fights are insane. Platinum did it again. Two things I didn't like: 1. Companion npc never shut up 2. Less exploration and normal fights than Bayo 1

One more thing, the ost is amazing. Amazing job Platinum. Now to unlock everything and play some co op.

HoJu

Well, I platinumed all of third climax.

I really enjoyed the game. But man. The aerial battles and the mecha-battles were just... so much less enjoyable than everything else.

i hated them because i kept getting pushed away from the bosses and it took forever to actually hit them. then i realized you're supposed to keep pressing b to boost towards them. then i started having fun.

and yeah, i don't really understand the point of the mecha, besides the satisfaction of killing random grunts by running into them. less combo options, can't fight in the air, same enemies... the boss was alright, i guess.

I'm really curious about these difficulty level opinions. I'm playing on 2nd Climax right now but people are saying 3rd Climax is as difficult as Bayonetta 1's Normal Mode? I can't say I agree with that. 2nd Climax feels like Bayo's Normal for me. Again though, maybe the gamepad is the limitation.

Also the above screenshot suggests 16 chapters, which means I'm nearly done. Is that right?

Darksheik

So, I tried a bit with Rosa and with the Climax Brace 2. I managed to deal a lot. Twice I was on the last half of the last life bar. Which is an enormous improvement after around 30 minutes.
Thanks a lot, I will try again this evening.

Open question: What it the reward for completing the lost chapter 5? That one is particularly hard as well.

thefro

Chapter 13 was great... finally got enough halos to get the parry accessory.

I think I'm probably going to play again on 2nd Climax to get the stuff I missed on this first playthrough and go for more platinums, then I might play through Bayo 1 again (have only beaten it once on PS3) using one of the Nintendo consoles. Then we'll see about 3rd Climax and Infinite.

Nice.

Top Bottom