• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Just finished a pure platinum run through 3rd Climax. On to Infinite!

(I've been uploading my replays here, if anyone wants to check them out. Chapters 11+ will be in 60 fps.)

Amazing game, anyway. Platinum went and fixed just about everything that sucked about the original and made a sequel that surpasses it in every way. It's definitely going to give Ninja Gaiden II a run for its money as the best game in the genre.

Thanks for posting dude. Subscribed!

Dizzy-4U

Just finished a pure platinum run through 3rd Climax. On to Infinite!

(I've been uploading my replays here, if anyone wants to check them out. Chapters 11+ will be in 60 fps.)

Amazing game, anyway. Platinum went and fixed just about everything that sucked about the original and made a sequel that surpasses it in every way. It's definitely going to give Ninja Gaiden II a run for its money as the best game in the genre.
This is really good. Thanks man.

Squishy3

Started doing my 3rd climax run while getting all crow/muspelheim, thankfully you can check where are those in the game.
Hope you didn't miss any broken witch hearts like I did. I fucking missed 2 of them in my runthrough of the game and am going to have to replay every chapter to find the 2 that I missed.

Hope you didn't miss any broken witch hearts like I did. I fucking missed 2 of them in my runthrough of the game and am going to have to replay every chapter to find the 2 that I missed.

I can only imagine how many I have missed so far. Sometimes they are hidden in really tough to find places.

I'm missing a couple myself but I noticed one in the falling demon centipede verse of chapter 10. It goes by so quickly and blends into the carnage everywhere that I'm shocked I even noticed it.

I'm going to go back and grab it after finding the other.
How are the people in these videos doing witch time without even dodging an attack??
One of the accessories.

Astral Dog

I played enough.
So i will give my impressions, im really bad at this but whatever.
Bayonetta is one of my favorite games ever, i loved the combat, bosses, enemies,characters,world and soundtrack, its a joy to play and even watch,im still replaying it with the Wii U port, When they announced the sequel i did not wait long to get the system, until W101 was close to release,i had insane expectations for the sequel and later i knew it was not going to surpass them.

+ The Umbran climax mechanic feels great, it always fills the screen to decimate your enemies, it can be a little overpowered but it can be difficult to go back to Bayonetta without it.
+ The art direction is a definitive step up from the original, the use of colors give each area a distinctive look in a way the original game never did,it creates a much more vibrant image and that can be refreshing after other Platinum games like MG Rising, Bayonetta,Vanquish, Madworld (lol),etc i also liked how the first game looked, but this is an improvment, just pleasing to the eyes.It doesnt look "next gen" but its a pretty game.
+ Going with the above are the better graphics, this is the game that shows what the system can do, even if iits not that much better than the previous game, all the areas are bigger, the textures are better, the water is beautiful, along with the lightning, the enemies are more detailed and all their animations are a delight to see.And i have tomention the cutscenes too, they are more polished, the choreography is more elaborated, and look much better than the first,great idea to go to Shimomura for this
.+ The bosses, what can i say about the Masked Lumen that has not been said by now? the battle speaks for itself, complex and varied attacks,awesome soundtrack, cool but brief setpieces that dont interrump the gameplay,all other bosses are good too, with their own unique characteristics.
+ Sometimes, i enjoy collecting things,and there are a few things to collect or find in Bayonetta 2, including the crows, the journals, the Muspelheims, items, heart and moon pieces,etc.speaking of the journals, i also enjoy reading these things in games, and Bayonetta 2 doesnt dissapoint in that regard, all the descriptions of items, locations, enemies and characters are there to read, and it may have a little reference or two from other games.
+ Tag Climax, i have played just a little of this mode,but from what i read its pretty good and adds to the replay value.
+ All the new costumes with different characteristics are nice, and included in the first game too.
+Bayonetta included for free, of course.

Now, what im not decided:
. The story: i will be honest, i enjoy the silly, over the top but also dramatic tone of Bayonetta, the dialogue and characters help set the tone of the game,one that can be dramatic and epic but also silly and never forgets its a videogame in the end, i enjoyed watching the cutscenes on preview videos, but in the game they do affect the pacing and can become very annoying.also Loki is more annoying in the game, specially when he follows you, ,even if i dont hate him. The story itself has its good and bad points compared to the first, but i will give the edge to Bayonetta 1.

. The aerial and underwater battles: they are implemented well for the most part, and can add another layer to the game, but i thinl they dont always work, like on Chapter 6.

. The game does feel too similar to the first game, it doesnt feel as fresh compared to it of course, and there are few new mechanics, it cant stand on its own without Bayo 1, now i dont think this is that bad, but it can be dissapointing.

. The soundtrack: The game has a good sountrack there are great pieces on it and my favorites are the battle with ML and Temperantia, Alraune, Beyond Time,Moon River, Tomorrow is mine, Noatun port, Valliance theme,Cascade Foregrounds, The legend of Aesir, and Ruins of lost memory, the problem is that there arent enough of them, a big part of the soundtrack is recycled from the first game, and some pieces are repeated a lot, it just not as good or varied as the first game.

. The Final Boss: This the big one for all,the big dissapointment,the major flaw.of the game. The shitty boss from PG.
First,i will say it doesnt compare to Jubileus or Jerghinga or other final bosses, it doesnt have the spectacle to go with it, or the character, i already writted about him,so to not make this more big than it needs to be i agree, It was more of a straightforward fight, nothing special, and his Aesir music sucked compared to the Greatest Jubilee, at least he has Beyond Time,and i liked when he strangled Luka and Loki, but I still think the ending was a bit memorable for different reasons,it was the little touches, the dialogue between Bayonetta and Balder, The final summoning,Jeanne and Gomorrah,Luka appearing from nowhere to save Loki, "Dont fuck with witches" etc.

As for Loptr,as weak as a FB and antagonist he is, in these types of games i expect the Final Boss to have three things: good music, an unique design and be fun to fight, and he meets the minimun, its a well made and designed boss,

I think what the ending lacked was a final dungeon and a battle with possessed Balder, using some of Aesir moves,to make it more personal and surprising.

Now for the negatives:
−The framerate and IQ:even if the IQ didnt bother me much on my old 720P TV, but the jaggies are still noticeable, the framerate also is not stable,there are some parts when the game runs bad and that does affect the game, i blame the hardware too for this.
− The chapter structure: I dont like how the chapters are very different in content, there are chapters when its just the boss and are too short, in general the game feels a little shorter, even if it could have more content including characters, tag climax, costumes, etc. Like i said above, it lacked a proper final level too, would had been nice. The way the first Bayonetta did it was better.
− Nitpicks, but the difficulty bothered me, its easier than the first, its not a big problem except i have been collecting heart pieces as the game gives them like candy,and i cant stop playing the Muspelheims, i advice to not collect many of those as it can make the difficulty a joke. Also some of the characters voices, especially the Masked Lumen,and Enzo.

I know nobody is gonna read this wall of text :p, i could writte more,but what im trying to say is,its very difficult to me to rate this game, after seeing some complaints that the game is too similar and more of the same, yes it is, its not as different as DMC 1 to DMC 3, or even DMC 3 to DMC 4,although i would argue one was made by a different team, and the other case it was on a much, much more powerful system,so that comprasion is weird to me.

I would say its better in parts and worse on others than Bayonetta, and doesnt feel as fresh, or even as creative,as the first,i would put it slighty below the first game.

Now,i partly blame myself for having these big expectations,in a way i ruined it because i watched all the bigger and little surprises before the game came out. Nintendo showed too much,and i watched more than half of the game. but even with that, the game meet or surpassed some of them its a great game, no doubt.

Its more Bayonetta,more of the same, at the end of the day its still a 360/PS3 game ported to Wii U, it was never going to be the game that moved the genre forward, or the innovative experience that many were hoping,it was its just trying to emulate what the original did and offer more of that, and they succeeded, its a well made sequel, nothing more or less.

Platinum has offered different twist on their games with Wonderful 101,Metal Gear Rising, Korra, Madworld,Bayonetta, Vanquish and the coming Scalebound, they deserve the chance to release a "safe" sequel,and if that sequel is to Bayonetta, im very glad they did it,as Bayonetta is still their flagship title me.

Finalow

am I missing something or costumes don't change a thing in the first game? Well, nothing besides the rupees.

also, what items/moves/accessories should I get? (still Bayonetta 1) It's been a loong time since I played this.

]Start out with Love is Blue, your pistols. Play around with your moves to find out which attacks launch basic enemies and keep them in the air. There's a practice mode you can access from the menu while you're on the chapter select screen. Experiment with extended attacks (holding the punch or kick button). You can jump off nearby enemies to reset your jump count, then keep juggling them with launching attacks. Michellegun201 shows that technique here.

And definitely check out Saur's videos like Muchi suggested!

Cool, thanks.

Monocle

So, I tried a bit with Rosa and with the Climax Brace 2. I managed to deal a lot. Twice I was on the last half of the last life bar. Which is an enormous improvement after around 30 minutes.
Thanks a lot, I will try again this evening.
Good job! If you can already get his life down that far, you'll beat him soon.

Damn, those combos are awesome. What's the advice on extending combos? Should I get inputs from someone or learn it on my own?
Start out with Love is Blue, your pistols. Play around with your moves to find out which attacks launch basic enemies and keep them in the air. There's a practice mode you can access from the menu while you're on the chapter select screen. Experiment with extended attacks (holding the punch or kick button). You can jump off nearby enemies to reset your jump count, then keep juggling them with launching attacks. Michellegun201 shows that technique here.

And definitely check out Saur's videos like Muchi suggested!

Salih

Thanks for the info, Monocle.

regarding infinite climax:
I was quite surprised that witch time was still intact on infinite climax.

different games, different rules. With dodge offset/wicked weaves nerfed, having witch time intact is key to making that mode possible.

Not that the extra .4 WT seconds the final boss gives you when you dodge helps all THAT much, but hey

Monocle

No problem.

The game was rebalanced around witch time. Enemies can be more aggressive in Infinite Climax now. I like the change. Players who don't can use Jeanne and/or the Bracelet of Time and get a similar experience to the first game's Infinite Climax difficulty.

imae

Thank god it's almost the weekend. I mean... I've been able to play a little during the week, but it just hasn't been enough to feed these cravings!.

I'm having fun going for platinums/pures on 3C and experimenting with the different weapons. I'm trying to avoid reading too much of this thread as I want to figure things out for myself.

The hammer is so fun to play with, honestly. Might be my new favorite weapon. I love the heavy types.

The 360 spin with Umbran climax is too godlike. And when you do a charged up hit, the hammer stays charged for about 5 seconds and does extra damage. You can charge up a hammer, go into panther mode into a new verse, let it rip and then go to town. You can use the dodge/jump cancel/gun to cancel out its slower animations, too. I like it a lot more than the Kilgores, glitch aside, the heavy weapon its kinda replacing.

sonto340

so are there PAL scans of the cover art anywhere?
Or NA scans without the big ugly "BONUS BAYONETTA GAME INCLUDED" ruining the cover art?

Or Japanese scans.

Or anything that has the back intact.
The cover project doesn't even have any WiiU games at all lol

Moofers

Have you all seen the death animation where Bayonetta is raped? Or at least it's heavily implied without much room for doubt.

I love the game, I think the team is really talented, but I also kind of think a line was crossed here. It's a really dark image for an otherwise silly and bubbly game. I don't care for it at all.

Jintor

The 360 spin with Umbran climax is too godlike. And when you do a charged up hit, the hammer stays charged for about 5 seconds and does extra damage. You can charge up a hammer, go into panther mode into a new verse, let it rip and then go to town. You can use the dodge/jump cancel/gun to cancel out its slower animations, too. I like it a lot more than the Kilgores, glitch aside, the heavy weapon its kinda replacing.

I do miss stunning enemies from across the map though and then crow spearing and ripping them a new one. Bayo 2 has really fantastic new weapons, but another one it two bullet hold weapons wouldn't go amiss.

I love the scythe though

jorgejjvr

How do you get the hammer?

Monocle

Have you all seen the death animation where Bayonetta is raped? Or at least it's heavily implied without much room for doubt.

I love the game, I think the team is really talented, but I also kind of think a line was crossed here. It's a really dark image for an otherwise silly and bubbly game. I don't care for it at all.
She's not being raped, she's being dragged down to hell like all witches are when they die. Good lord.

Is there anything on this planet greater than the whip's KKK delay K?

no. no there is not.

WTF I was just coming on here to post that. Like word for word.

It's amazing. The little capoeira bounce step right before the last 360 move is so fluid. It's one of the best animations I've ever seen.

Top Bottom