• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
If you don't want your end score to be affected, you have to redo all the events and muspelheims. Collectibles like the crows and files do not appear again. The chests do respawn but contain mostly lollipops now.

brilliant, thanks. it seems like I can at least blaze through it rather quickly without having to collect all that stuff

also, FUCK THOSE HAMMER ACCOLADES

FUCK THEM TO HELL

Astral Dog

Just finished. Still in shock.

That felt so good.

When is Bayonetta 3?

:(

Played through the whole game in one setting. Didn't go to toilet, haven't eaten anything, finished the story on 2nd Climax. Really felt way easier than Bayonetta 1 (which I played the week before).

Other than that... one of the best games ever. The pacing, system, colors, Bayonetta herself (love her new haircut!) is just perfect. The music gives me a smile.

Hoping for Bayonetta 3 soon. Please Nintendo.

Oh and I have done all these trials and only needed 8 1/2 hours... so I guess I will do another playthrough soon. :)

Oh and DONT play on 2nd Climax, even if you havent played Bayonetta before, its too easy, and dont collect too many heart pieces, they are given like candy and can make the difficulty a joke.

Unit24

So after giving it some thought, this is how I think the finale could have been improved:

First of all, I think there should have been one more level after the Starfox minigame and before the final boss. Building up to the final battle with just a minigame isn't very effective, even though it was a pretty cool section. The penultimate level should have been about ascending the mountain, while having encounters with both angels and demons at the same time. There would be parts where you team up against them with Balder, and also sections where you somehow get separated so you have a few chances to fight on your own. There would also have to be all sorts of angels and demons attacking the mountain as you ascend, in order to give the level a sense of scale. Basically, I think it should be like chapter XV of Bayo 1, which was a really effective final test of the player's skill.

The final boss itself should have also been much more over the top. It's really disappointing how it starts off with Bayo and Balder teaming up against Aesir, but then after the big satellite attack, Balder just vanishes. There should have been parts where Balder and Bayonetta summon various angels and demons to fight with them, as they did in their first two battles. I thought it was strange how they stopped doing that after a certain point, because the fact that they did it so much earlier on made me feel like they were building up to something. And since Aesir is the god of chaos, it would be neat if he had changed forms throughout the fight, necessitating the summoned demons/angels.

And finally, the finisher should have happened while Aesir still had the eyes. Having Loki pull some hidden power out of nowhere at the end of the fight felt really anticlimactic, and it even made the fight itself feel a little pointless. It's way more satisfying to take out the villain when he's still at full power, rather than when he's essentially helpless.

Oh, and Moon River would have to play at some point during this craziness. Preferably during some actual battles and not just for a portion of the finisher. That song is criminally underused.

Thoughts?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So after giving it some thought, this is how I think the finale could have been improved:

First of all, I think there should have been one more level after the Starfox minigame and before the final boss. Building up to the final battle with just a minigame isn't very effective, even though it was a pretty cool section. The penultimate level should have been about ascending the mountain, while having encounters with both angels and demons at the same time. There would be parts where you team up against them with Balder, and also sections where you somehow get separated so you have a few chances to fight on your own. There would also have to be all sorts of angels and demons attacking the mountain as you ascend, in order to give the level a sense of scale. Basically, I think it should be like chapter XV of Bayo 1, which was a really effective final test of the player's skill.

The final boss itself should have also been much more over the top. It's really disappointing how it starts off with Bayo and Balder teaming up against Aesir, but then after the big satellite attack, Balder just vanishes. There should have been parts where Balder and Bayonetta summon various angels and demons to fight with them, as they did in their first two battles. I thought it was strange how they stopped doing that after a certain point, because the fact that they did it so much earlier on made me feel like they were building up to something. And since Aesir is the god of chaos, it would be neat if he had changed forms throughout the fight, necessitating the summoned demons/angels.

And finally, the finisher should have happened while Aesir still had the eyes. Having Loki pull some hidden power out of nowhere at the end of the fight felt really anticlimactic, and it even made the fight itself feel a little pointless. It's way more satisfying to take out the villain when he's still at full power, rather than when he's essentially helpless.

Oh, and Moon River would have to play at some point during this craziness. Preferably during some actual battles and not just for a portion of the finisher. That song is criminally underused.

Thoughts?
Mostly agree

Thoughts?

I think that you pretty much nailed everything. It could have been a so much more satisfying conclusion to one of the best games I've ever played but it's hard to complain considering some of the stunning moments earlier in the game.

fred

I don't know why but for some reason I'm struggling a little on Climax 2. I did Bayonetta 1 on Easy without a problem but keep on getting hit and taking loads of damage. And everyone else is saying Climax 2 is too easy.

I've just done Chapter II and got a Stone award lol

Haven't changed the weapons though, did Bayonetta 1 using the default weapons so I thought I'd do the same with 2.

Is anyone else struggling on Climax 2..?

Not too sure why I'm struggling with it tbh. :eek:/

Unit24

I don't know why but for some reason I'm struggling a little on Climax 2. I did Bayonetta 1 on Easy without a problem but keep on getting hit and taking loads of damage. And everyone else is saying Climax 2 is too easy.

I've just done Chapter II and got a Stone award lol

Haven't changed the weapons though, did Bayonetta 1 using the default weapons so I thought I'd do the same with 2.

Is anyone else struggling on Climax 2..?

Not too sure why I'm struggling with it tbh. :eek:/

You should really try experimenting with different weapon loadouts. The default moveset is fun, but it's not always the best for every situation.

Everyone that played the first one really should have started on 3rd climax.

1st =very easy
2nd = easy
3rd = normal

I'm not noticing a lot of difference between 2nd and 3rd so far, actually. In fact I've been getting better medals in every single chapter of 3rd (although I do have the benefit of more life/magic and all the weapons). Even the enemy placement is identical. I agree that I should have started with 3rd, if only because this playthrough is feeling a bit superfluous.

Still, that means there's no true "hard" difficulty, right? People are reporting getting murdered on Infinite, which leads me to think that one is more akin to Dante Must Die, etc. Kind of weird of them to make that leap. Then again TW101 had one of the easiest "ultimate" difficulties.

Thoughts?

Agree with everything, the finale left a really sour taste after all the goodness. :/

How do I activate costumes? I bought the Super Mirror 64-2 and I don't know how to use it :(

If you were using Bayonetta when you bought them, go back to the chapter select screen, go to menu and then go to character change and you'll see an arrow under costume. You essentially have to buy outfits twice for each character.

Thoughts?
Yeah the ending was a bit underwhelming compared to the first bayonetta. The build up to the ending was amazing though especially once you go back in time.

Astral Dog

Thoughts?

I agree, the final chapter lacked a proper final level,one part on the mountain and another on the temple fighting angels and demons, you are right about Balder too, although the final summoning was very cool, but im not sure about Aesir, he with the Eyes is the most powerful God, he IS more powerful than Bayonetta and Balder, there was never a chance they could win alone, but it may lacked a final QTE or cutscene after the fight and before Loki erased the Eyes.

Other thing that would had been cool is a surprising final fight with Balder using some of Aesir moves.

Finalow

That was actually Fuckerious and GetFuckedious. If they're golden, you can't use witch time. They are the worst.
how about Fuckyou & Gitgud.

ok I'll stop now.

almost finished with the first game, I'm not going to bother to unlock stuff and 100% so I'll finally start the second one soon enough.

Isn't the
shirogane comet extremely similar to the space station in Vanquish too
?

Edit: Just checked and it actually is. So it's a reference to both Vanquish and TW101 haha.

Well, all three of them are pretty generic O'Neill cylinders, which the Japanese seem to love for obvious reasons. I did notice the way Bayonetta
turned the satellite around
being nigh identical to the same scene of TW101, though; that's definitely a reference.

On the
schoolgirl
outfit description,
Shirogane High School
or something like that.

"Shirogane" is simply Japanese for "Platinum", though. If it had been Blossom City High, however... :)

Having completed both I'm hesistant to say I think I prefer the first game. The second game is excellent in every way but the slightly disappointing finale and the fact that it is more Bayonetta are marks against it. I consider Bayonetta the finest game of the seventh generation consoles though so it isn't like I hate it! The new hair though, god damn.

kunonabi

Having completed both I'm hesistant to say I think I prefer the first game. The second game is excellent in every way but the slightly disappointing finale and the fact that it is more Bayonetta are marks against it. I consider Bayonetta the finest game of the seventh generation consoles though so it isn't like I hate it! The new hair though, god damn.

As far as playing through the story mode I have to agree. Cereza was so much better Loki and the finale was much stronger. As a complete package I have to wait till I 100% it to really judge.

I prefer the old hair myself although the new style still looks great.

I will say this in terms of the Platinum Games Wonderful 101 vs Bayonetta 2 office rivalry I judge in favor W101.

Sadist

After one full week of Bayo I gotta say and completing Bayo 2 today, the sequel is so much better than the original.

Don´t get me wrong, the original is pretty damn good (except for Route 666, that's some terrible design right there) but it isn't as well balanced. The original had some pretty meh QTE's and cheap deaths, but those problems are non-existant in Bayo 2. It's more smooth, fun and I prefer Bayo's design in 2 better. I suppose the final boss in the original is better and more batshit crazy Platinum style, but overall if I had to pick between the two for a quick playthrough I'd definitely pick 2.

Love all the selfreferences in the game. If you want to learn how to talk to a lady, ask your mom <3

Will replay both soon enough.

Astral Dog

As far as playing through the story mode I have to agree. Cereza was so much better Loki and the finale was much stronger. As a complete package I have to wait till I 100% it to really judge.

I prefer the old hair myself although the new style still looks great.

I will say this in terms of the Platinum Games Wonderful 101 vs Bayonetta 2 office rivalry I judge in favor W101.

Bayonetta was never going to win that "fight" they are different universes and different games with different aims at the core.Wonderful 101 has a lot of spectacle and tries to be the most diverse game in the genre.(with mixed results imo).
Bayonetta is a much more focused game.

Bayonetta was never going to win that "fight" they are different universes and different games with different aims at the core.Wonderful 101 has a lot of spectacle and tries to be the most diverse game in the genre.(with mixed results imo).
Bayonetta is a much more focused game.

The actual fights and bosses are way better in Bayonetta 2, no contest imo.

Unit24

The finale to Bayo 2 didn't need to surpass the finale of Bayo 1, or of any other Platinum game for that matter. It just needed a full payoff to everything it had been building up, which it didn't quite do.

Could you maybe explain this further? Just finished it as well and my memory is a bit hazy on Bayonetta 1.

So this game is sort of a prequel to the events of Bayonetta 1, but it plays itself out after Bayonetta 1?

For those who seem confused about the story:

The only "time loop" factor in this game is with balder. The story itself doesnt loop only balder's existence is looped. Bayo & the others continue on life after the events of this game, its just balder that is in an infinite loop. Platinum didnt make this game a time loop prequel to 1, only balder's story is prefaced here. everything else continues onward after this game except balder.

hope others can understand this &#12542;(&#65312;&#8978;&#12540;&#8978;&#65312;)&#12494;

Also hi everyone. My first time posting here! Bayonetta is my all time favorite action franchise along with Ninja Gaiden.

For those who seem confused about the story:

The only "time loop" factor in this game is with balder. The story itself doesnt loop only balder's existence is looped. Bayo & the others continue on life after the events of this game, its just balder that is in an infinite loop. Platinum didnt make this game a time loop prequel to 1, only balder's story is prefaced here. everything else continues onward after this game except balder.

hope others can understand this &#12542;(&#65312;&#8978;&#12540;&#8978;&#65312;)&#12494;
Yeah, that's pretty much I thought as well.

Astral Dog

The finale to Bayo 2 didn't need to surpass the finale of Bayo 1, or of any other Platinum game for that matter. It just needed a full payoff to everything it had been building up, which it didn't quite do.

Oh i agree that the final boss was lacking, it is not a bad fight at all, but Jubileus was much more memorable, and i think, for a "big" boss, it was decent, like the Saviour but done right, it was a good fight too.

My problem is when people start to say Wonderful 101 easily " wins" to Bayonetta 2 because the finale.In a way i agree, i loved the ending, the cutscenes and escalation of the fights was perfect, but, apart from that, its awfull to me, i dont know if im doing something wrong, but Jerghinga is such a tedious fight, i tried to replay it a few days ago, and couldnt finish it, the awfull framerate, the first phase was boring, the second awfull,then the meh escape sequence, the final phase im not sure how to kill it, im not fond of the final QTE either, in a way i prefer Aesir to it too.

All it really needed was a final
Balder fight,or even just put the chapter 12 one there,the game climaxs there boss wise

Monocle

I just defeated
Rodin!

Super happy, that was really hard fight.
Thanks to Monocle for the help as well!

Still, I'm missing the last item in the shop (Climax Brace).
I assume it is related to beating the lost chapter number 5 right? As I did everything else (50/50 umbran tears of blood).
Nice going!

Is the missing accessory the Climax Brace or the Climax Brace 2? The first is supposedly unlocked by earning all 50 Umbran Tears of Blood, and the second by platinuming all chapters on 2nd Climax or above. I don't have either Climax Brace yet so I can't confirm their unlock conditions.

Coda

I think Bayonetta 1's normal difficulty is harder than 2nd Climax in Bayonetta 2 but I wouldn't call 3rd Climax a normal difficulty. 3rd Climax seriously raises the difficulty from 2nd Climax. Infinite Climax is just torture though. Has anyone managed to beat that mode yet?

All it really needed was a final
Balder fight,or even just put the chapter 12 one there,the game climaxs there boss wise

Yep. It almost seems like they ran out of money or something. You can pretty much throw a dart at a dartboard with Bayo2's chapters and chances are you'll get a more epic one.

Seik

Banned
I think Bayonetta 1's normal difficulty is harder than 2nd Climax in Bayonetta 2 but I wouldn't call 3rd Climax a normal difficulty. 3rd Climax seriously raises the difficulty from 2nd Climax. Infinite Climax is just torture though. Has anyone managed to beat that mode yet?

Can't even go through the prologue without dying for each time I tried so far. :p

What a game! I played Bayonetta 1 about a year ago so I decided to jump right into the sequel. It really does the first game justice and improves on small elements at the same time. In particular I think the visuals are incredible - it's so colorful and the sense of scale in the environments is nearly unmatched. It feels like one of the craziest game roller coaster rides ever.

More than anything, though, the game is just a joy to control and play. Platinum are incredible.

paul187

I was wondering if mega green lollipops where rare drops or if certain stages have them? Also is there a way to create them? I can't find the option to do so.

diaspora

Just beat
Rodin.
His finisher would've been offensive had Bayonetta herself not done it to like every other enemy in the game.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I made the mistake of playing 2 before 1.

Does 1 approach 2 levels of colour and insanity? I'm only early in but it seems a lot less colourful.

I absolutely love 2 though. I'm probably utterly crap at it, but I don't care! It makes me feel like a superhero. &#128516;

Coda

I made the mistake of playing 2 before 1.

Does 1 approach 2 levels of colour and insanity? I'm only early in but it seems a lot less colourful.

I absolutely love 2 though. I'm probably utterly crap at it, but I don't care! It makes me feel like a superhero. &#128516;

It gets colorful but in a more gold and angelic way. The sequel as you already know has a lot more beautiful blues and magenta like colors. I think the graphical upgrade between the two is pretty significant though. All the models and textures also look a lot better.

Hypron

Oh i agree that the final boss was lacking, it is not a bad fight at all, but Jubileus was much more memorable, and i think, for a "big" boss, it was decent, like the Saviour but done right, it was a good fight too.

My problem is when people start to say Wonderful 101 easily " wins" to Bayonetta 2 because the finale.In a way i agree, i loved the ending, the cutscenes and escalation of the fights was perfect, but, apart from that, its awfull to me, i dont know if im doing something wrong, but Jerghinga is such a tedious fight, i tried to replay it a few days ago, and couldnt finish it, the awfull framerate, the first phase was boring, the second awfull,then the meh escape sequence, the final phase im not sure how to kill it, im not fond of the final QTE either, in a way i prefer Aesir to it too.

Yeah Jerghinga isn't really fun to fight, it's just really OTT so it leaves you speechless after your first playthrough. On replays though it's just tedious.

1. Sloths are a fucking nightmare. WTF
2. Love bayonetta quotting wonder red.
"Well, you could say dimplomacy has failed"
lol
3.OMG Salamanders best weapon ever. The whips with the hammer are really cool too. Now I feel im on my groove.

And off to sleep, tomorrow is mine more.

Top Bottom