• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Coda

My Wii U just got back from repair. Piece of shit broke the day before Bayo came out but that doesn't matter now. All my games and save data and shit is gone but I don't give a fuck

My hands are shaking brehs

At least you didn't have to lose your Bayo saves. Get ready for one hell of a trip.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
My Wii U just got back from repair. Piece of shit broke the day before Bayo came out but that doesn't matter now. All my games and save data and shit is gone but I don't give a fuck

My hands are shaking brehs
Uh, did you call nintendo or anybody so you can get your stuff back?

foxuzamaki

Why did Bayonetta cut her hair?! She looked so much better before.

I disagree but beyond that, she didnt really cut her hair, as she has ridiculous hair length, she can just shape her hair into anything she is feeling

Uh, did you call nintendo or anybody so you can get your stuff back?

It completely shit itself. The motherboard was fried or something so I couldn't back anything up. They don't guarantee save files and the rest is just a matter of re-downloading some stuff. Not that big a deal.

It would be nice if we could swap enemies in practice mode so I could practice dodging there incoming attacks whether they're fast or slow.

Neiteio

It's been a while since I played a game so good that thinking back on it, everything blurs together into one indecipherable mass of awesome images. Stuff like
dragons scaling skyscrapers King Kong-style
and
fighting atop a flying sphere Mario Galaxy-style
and
angel summons vs. demon summons in the night sky
and
angel summons vs. demon summons in the belly of a beast
and
a prophet with six arms pulling a meteor out of space
and
racing past demon dinosaurs and centipedes on a unicorn
and so much more.

Why did Bayonetta cut her hair?! She looked so much better before.
You can unlock her old costume. Best of both worlds! :)

foxuzamaki

It's been a while since I played a game so good that thinking back on it, everything blurs together into one indecipherable mass of awesome images. Stuff like
dragons scaling skyscrapers King Kong-style
and
fighting atop a flying sphere Mario Galaxy-style
and
angel summons vs. demon summons in the night sky
and
angel summons vs. demon summons in the belly of a beast
and
a prophet with six arms pulling a meteor out of space
and
racing past demon dinosaurs and centipedes on a unicorn
and so much more.

You can unlock her old costume. Best of both worlds! :)

Not to mention that last one leads to the best rival battle I ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

Neiteio

Not to mention that last one leads to the best rival battle I ever had the pleasure of experiencing.
The whole game was incredible. I went to GameFAQs hoping I could find a walkthrough to help me remember what happened where, because I played through the entire game in two sittings and it was just one nonstop parade of awesome moments that played as good as they looked. The last game I played that had pure flow and gameplay like this was ALBW on the 3DS last year. Just pure concentrated flow and gameplay. SO GOOD!

Unit24

So how exactly does the Platinum ticket work? I just bought it and I'm currently getting my ass kicked, but if I decide to quit the battle, how do I get back?

Astral Dog

The gallery mode you unlock post-game is fantastic, as per the first game. I couldn't help but upload some 720p screens via abload.de:

I'll be vague to avoid spoilers:

A certain demoness from the underworld (name:
Alraune
):

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_01y3s7e.jpg

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_0159s60.jpg

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_01n8sjh.jpg

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_01v2szi.jpg

A huge stingray-like demon (name:
Insidious
):

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_01qvso3.jpg

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_012bszt.jpg

A demon summon with many legs (name:
Scolopendra
):

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_010xs4o.jpg

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ykp3g.jpg

An angel that is "resplendent" (name:
Resplendence!
):

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_01topgk.jpg

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_013iqkm.jpg

, The locations artwork is great,too.Also, what did you think about the ending/final boss?

mdubs

Banned
"So you're saying diplomacy has failed then" /dead

Also kinda bummed about the epilogue because
it didn't have a follow up to her awesome dance at the end of the first game. The pole dance just wasn't the same.

If Jeanne's WT timing wasn't so strict, I'd use her all the time, so Bayonetta's my favorite to use.

Yeah but if her WT wasn't that strict she would be op. Wicked Weaves hit harder and her dodge is unlimited.

No real explanation about the
changes
in hair. When the art was first released, I thought that was going to be a major plot point.

The explanation is simple: Bayonetta was in the mood to change her hair. With her memories back her character changed a bit too. And Jeanne wants to look different, so she let her grow.

Neiteio

Also, what did you think about the ending/final boss?
I think the ending/final boss could've been more over-the-top, but when you say that about a boss who
throws spacestations at you
, it's only because prior set-pieces were even crazier. I think it would've been cool if
every summon on both sides (demon and angel)
made an appearance, as a continuation of the escalating fight in the Masked Sage encounters. But what we got for the grand finale was still great. Gameplay-wise, I much prefer this fight to Jubileus in Bayonetta 1 --
I generally prefer 1v1 fights against similarly-sized humanoid opponents
, and that's what we got in Bayonetta 2. Plus, the final boss's
god form
looked gorgeous, with the
Milky Way depicted within his body
. Beautiful backdrop with the
mountains
, as well. They could've padded the last chapter with an enemy-style gauntlet reminiscent of the tower in Bayonetta 1, and I wouldn't have minded a "review" of all the enemies up to that point, but from a pacing standpoint I think they made the right call, and by that point I was itching to dive back into all of the prior chapters, anyways. :)

I think my favorite chapter at the moment is actually
Chapter XIII: Vigrid, City of Deja Vu
. The atmosphere is top-notch with the
rain outside and the warm torchlight inside
, and there was a super-satisfying fight with one of my favorite bosses from the first Bayonetta,
Fortitudo
. It was cool seeing
locations from Bayo 1, back when they were new and pristine
, and teaming up with
Rosa
was a lot of fun. I seriously like every chapter, though. There's not a single weak link in the chain here. With Bayonetta 1, I'd play a few chapters and be like, "OK, I'm good for the night," but with Bayonetta 2, I couldn't put it down. Seriously, I beat the whole game in two sittings... That hardly ever happens these days. :)

like seriously, how are you supposed to play as Jeanne. i CANNOT get used to her witch time activation.

It sounds like the first game. Don't rely on it too much and instead try to get it from parrying. If you get it from a dodge cool, if not w/ever. Just flip around all day

Neiteio

What's everyone's favorite costume/weapons combination?

I'm rocking the red Umbran Gekka outfit (the Chinese dress), with Rakshasa (hands) and Love is Blue (feet) for Set 1, and Salamandra (hands) and Alruna (feet) for Set 2.

I like all of the weapons, though. They all have their uses. I find the hammer great for whittling down heavies, and the scythe great for quick crowd control.

Also, ice-skating with chainsaws instead of skates is something special, lol.

Majestad

Banned
I wear this when I play Gotynetta

WdxgyDi.jpg

exfatal

Man on chapter 10 right now, been playing on hard and love the game. On tag climax looking for someone to partner with but no luck :S

What's everyone's favorite costume/weapons combination?

I'm rocking the red Umbran Gekka outfit (the Chinese dress), with Rakshasa (hands) and Love is Blue (feet) for Set 1, and Salamandra (hands) and Alruna (feet) for Set 2.

I like all of the weapons, though. They all have their uses. I find the hammer great for whittling down heavies, and the scythe great for quick crowd control.

Also, ice-skating with chainsaws instead of skates is something special, lol.

The fancy dresses with the Shuraba looks like a samurai remake of Breakfast at Tiffany's which amuses me.

The 1st police outfit or schoolgirl outfits with any of the pistols looks like my Japanese animes.

The Umbran Gekka dresses with the Chain Chomp is very kung fu.

I think my favorite chapter at the moment is actually
Chapter XIII: Vigrid, City of Deja Vu
. The atmosphere is top-notch with the
rain outside and the warm torchlight inside
, and there was a super-satisfying fight with one of my favorite bosses from the first Bayonetta,
Fortitudo
. It was cool seeing
locations from Bayo 1, back when they were new and pristine
, and teaming up with
Rosa
was a lot of fun. I seriously like every chapter, though. There's not a single weak link in the chain here. With Bayonetta 1, I'd play a few chapters and be like, "OK, I'm good for the night," but with Bayonetta 2, I couldn't put it down. Seriously, I beat the whole game in two sittings... That hardly ever happens these days. :)

Completely agreed. Even though I only played the first game last week for the first time, it
felt great to revisit those locations.
I thought it was a nicely paced Chapter, to boot, and had some fun fights.

I've tried out Tag Climax with CPU this evening just to see how it is. I've been getting requests from some people, and I was wondering how do I accept requests? I backed out the game, I still saw the request icon and didn't know how to accept their request.

Neiteio

Really? YESS!!!!!
Yep, when you beat the game, Rodin will add Super Mirror 2 to his shop. Buy it for 100,000 halos, and it comes with Bayonetta's costume from the first game. They describe it as the costume of "a witch who has lost her memories," or something like that. :)

On another note, I love Jeanne's underwater form (check out the silver crown): http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_01wjuei.jpg

And the attention to detail in this game is just great -- check out how Alraune's flower motif extends to her brain: http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_01mqsm8.jpg

(The name "Alraune" is German for mandrake and was probably inspired by the novel of the same name, BTW.)

And finally, is there any enemy in Bayonetta more metal than this guy (figuratively and literally)? http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_0157s90.jpg

To tweak a quote from the mockumentary, "This is Spinal Tap" -- "No... None more metal."

Totakeke

Coming here straight after finishing Bayonetta 1 on normal. Up to Chapter 6 now on 2nd Climax which feels a bit too easy so far. However it feels like it takes forever to kill some enemies compared to the first game. It's like every combo only takes like 5% of the HP for some of the middle sized enemies and that leads to a boring and prolonged fight. Am I doing something wrong here?

Also I think I like the narrower paths in the first game more. I'm doing a lot more exploring in this game but that breaks the tempo of the game a bit.

Yep, when you beat the game, Rodin will add Super Mirror 2 to his shop. Buy it for 100,000 halos, and it comes with Bayonetta's costume from the first game. They describe it as the costume of "a witch who has lost her memories," or something like that. :)

Even better, you can equip Love is Blue and Scarborough Fair. But honestly so many characters and costumes, pretty hard to decide which one to go for.

Neiteio

Coming here straight after finishing Bayonetta 1 on normal. Up to Chapter 6 now on 2nd Climax which feels a bit too easy so far. However it feels like it takes forever to kill some enemies compared to the first game. It's like every combo only takes like 5% of the HP for some of the middle sized enemies and that leads to a boring and prolonged fight. Am I doing something wrong here?

Also I think I like the narrower paths in the first game more. I'm doing a lot more exploring in this game but that breaks the tempo of the game a bit.
You'll get your laser-focused linear levels. The early chapters have more open stages, perhaps to give you more freedom to experiment and learn the game. But it tightens up as it goes along. I like both formats, personally -- pointlessly destroying the farmer's market in Noatun was fun!

Also, regarding damage output, note that torture attacks, when available, are more efficient at dispatching single enemies.

Just started the game, played up to chapter 4 on 2nd Climax.

So far, this is blowing away Bayo 1. What a difference the removal of the piss filter makes. The action is so much clearer here, and enemy telegraphs feel much improved. No instant death QTEs or obnoxious genre switches yet. Music is also way better. Even the button mashing QTEs for torture attacks and climaxes are a bit smoother to perform.

My thoughts on Bayo 1 were basically "Great! Well, except for..." while Bayo 2 is all "GREAT!" so far. Hopefully there isn't any nonsense later in the game to drag it down.

Bravo, Platinum.

Neiteio

Just started the game, played up to chapter 4 on 2nd Climax.

So far, this is blowing away Bayo 1. What a difference the removal of the piss filter makes. The action is so much clearer here, and enemy telegraphs feel much improved. No instant death QTEs or obnoxious genre switches yet. Music is also way better. Even the button mashing QTEs for torture attacks and climaxes are a bit smoother to perform.

My thoughts on Bayo 1 were basically "Great! Well, except for..." while Bayo 2 is all "GREAT!" so far. Hopefully there isn't any nonsense later in the game to drag it down.

Bravo, Platinum.
Xtortionist, you're in for a wild ride. The whole game is fantastic from start to finish. No half-baked minigames, no insta-kill QTEs, no wonky platforming, no poorly telegraphed attacks. Everything is crisper and clearer and sharper and brighter than the first game. The pacing is perfect, just pure concentrated gameplay and flow. :)

Top Bottom