• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

Xtortionist, you're in for a wild ride. The whole game is fantastic from start to finish. No half-baked minigames, no insta-kill QTEs, no wonky platforming, no poorly telegraphed attacks. Everything is crisper and clearer and sharper and brighter than the first game. The pacing is perfect, just pure concentrated gameplay and flow. :)

izGyZcm43BVt4.gif

correojon

Fuck... just found out i'm only missing one witch heart piece and I can't find it for the life of me. I've completed all muspelheims and opened up any that were in chests. The only possible places that I thought it could be would be in the umbran resting places. I haven't gotten the bewitchment for all of them so I suppose I will try doing them all again. Thought I completed all of the ones I saw on my first run but I may have missed one I guess. Oh well...
I'm exactly in the same situation, if you find your missing piece please let me know, maybe I'm missing the same one.

Yesterday I almost got a Pure Platinum on chapter 1, I got hit once in 2 verses and that dropped both of them to Platinum :( Using salamandra on hands I'm obliterating everyone before they have a chance to touch me. Alraune on feet helps to get rid of groups of smaller enemies with the KKK.K combo or PPKK.K

Unit24

Xtortionist, you're in for a wild ride. The whole game is fantastic from start to finish. No half-baked minigames, no insta-kill QTEs, no wonky platforming, no poorly telegraphed attacks. Everything is crisper and clearer and sharper and brighter than the first game. The pacing is perfect, just pure concentrated gameplay and flow. :)

Not entirely true. There are a few minigames in there, though they're way more fun and better paced than the ones in previous Platinum games.

Neiteio

Hahaha, I never get tired of Xtortionist posting that cereal gif. XD

Not entirely true. There are a few minigames in there, though they're way more fun and better paced than the ones in previous Platinum games.
I said "no half-baked minigames." :) The few minigames that are there (
mechs, unicorn-riding, jet section, etc
) are handled much better than anything in the first game. The only one that felt "so-so" was
the jet section
, and even that was still fun, and didn't put a damper on anything. :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just started the game, played up to chapter 4 on 2nd Climax.

So far, this is blowing away Bayo 1. What a difference the removal of the piss filter makes. The action is so much clearer here, and enemy telegraphs feel much improved. No instant death QTEs or obnoxious genre switches yet. Music is also way better. Even the button mashing QTEs for torture attacks and climaxes are a bit smoother to perform.

My thoughts on Bayo 1 were basically "Great! Well, except for..." while Bayo 2 is all "GREAT!" so far. Hopefully there isn't any nonsense later in the game to drag it down.

Bravo, Platinum.

>2nd climax

Unit24

It's not really normal difficulty though, it's leaning more towards easy.

It actually is normal though. It's obvious when you choose 3rd climax and see how much more aggressive and damaging all of the enemies are. It's way more geared towards players with bigger health bars and more weapons.

I held off on playing around with the Nintendo costumes until I had cleared both Bayonetta games, and I just tried out the Galactic Bounty Hunter suit in Bayonetta 2.

I knew about the arm cannon and the morph ball, but the bomb jump and the screw attack took me completely by surprise. The level of care and attention in this game is exemplary. (Is there any way to raise and lower the visor, though, or was that only implemented in the Wii U port of the first game?)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Atleast compared to Bayo 1, 3rd climax feels easier/more tuned to someone who grasped the combat, especially right off the back of playing that game. In a weird way more aggressive enemies can be a benefit as it's more opportunities to witch time. There's also no item penalties so damage taken can be safely recovered without killing your rank at the end.

Just got gold on the prologue, 3rd climax, first try on that difficulty

Maybe I should stick with it

Edit-what's the first accessory I should buy?

I'd get the Moon of Mahallajaksjfkala. Though if you haven't bought anything in general, Bat Within.

Got my first platinum on a chapter in either game just now replaying Chapter I on 3rd Climax. Felt very satisfying: for a genre I'm not very experienced in, I enjoy that there's lots of content to come back to and discover and practise and that it's fun to replay.

Playing with the OG costume is fun too.

Hypron

It actually is normal though. It's obvious when you choose 3rd climax and see how much more aggressive and damaging all of the enemies are. It's way more geared towards players with bigger health bars and more weapons.

Well it's quite obvious that choosing a higher difficulty makes the game more difficult. I was just arguing that the difficulty in 3rd climax is actually closer to what I expect from a normal difficulty in an action game.

I'd get the Moon of Mahallajaksjfkala. Though if you haven't bought anything in general, Bat Within.

Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa, it's not that hard, guys.

Question about one of the summons:
Jubileus is a Goddess, Queen Shueba a Demoness (Even though some description says it's not entirely clear if she is a demon). So what is Omne?

Moff

I actually missed the onky platforming and other details like the standard enemies that could only be harmed during witch time. the song from bayo 1 was catchier, too.

but overall, and in the defining points, I think bayo 2 is the much better game than bayo 1. the number one reason is because it just played so much smoother and more responsive with better and more satisfying combos, weapons and wicked weave attacks.

I also loved that you fight both angels and demons, this alone makes the game much more diverse. I also think bayo 2 had much better exploration and pacing, at least I could play bayo 2 much longer in one sitting.

and last but not least, bayo 2 is far more spectacular, some sequences/bosses were simply ridicoulusly jaw dropping, so I absolutely expected the final boss to be underwhelming.

one reviewer called bayo 2 the perfect action game, and I absolutely agree.

This game is absolutely amazing and has the best pacing of anything I've played in many years. I intended to just play the Prologue and Chapter 1 tonight but ended up playing all the way up to Chapter 6. When I have to force myself to stop playing a game, it's obvious I'm experiencing something special.

I LOVE Bayonetta 1 (just finished another playthrough of it on Wii U earlier today before starting the sequel) but I think I already prefer Bayo 2.

Moff

That only happens in the challenges and that is back in 2. Or do you mean the enemies that dodge everything without WT? Because sloth does that in 2 as well.
hmm, maybe I just didnt get it, but weren't there enemies on fire in bayo 1 that could not be harmed with standard attacks?

I'm replaying Bayo 1 and I just keep finding ways in which Bayo 2 improved, it's nuts. People mentioned a lot of the common improvements already (no stupid platforming, no bullshit QTEs, better done minigames, etc.) but one I wanted to make note of was improvements in how the Gaze of Despair works in both games. Gaze of Despair automatically enrages the enemies you fight, so they're more aggressive and more resistant to stun/stagger in exchange for you getting higher combo points per hit. In Bayo 1 however, each melee hit you land on an enraged enemy also has a slower impact, so it's like each punch/kick travels through jello as it hits an enemy. It's making fights feel unnecessarily slow so I tend to keep it unequipped in Bayo 1 (and my score does suffer for it unfortunately).

The slower impact doesn't exist in Bayo 2, so equipping the Gaze of Despair makes fights more difficult yet still fast-paced and frenetic. It really gets my adrenaline going during fights, so I kept it equipped almost the entire way through my first playthrough 3rd Climax and I had an absolute blast. If you want a good challenge in Bayo 2 without ramping it up to Infinite Climax, equip the Gaze of Despair, it's way more fun to use this time around.

Monocle

Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa, it's not that hard, guys.

Question about one of the summons:
Jubileus is a Goddess, Queen Shueba a Demoness (Even though some description says it's not entirely clear if she is a demon). So what is Omne?
There's an entry about this in one of the books in your inventory.

What's killing me is the hit reaction of the enemies in 2. When you tetsuzankou an angel over en edge. Even better with the mario cap equipped taunting afterwards and bayo is like bon voyage.

Just started the game, played up to chapter 4 on 2nd Climax.

So far, this is blowing away Bayo 1. What a difference the removal of the piss filter makes. The action is so much clearer here, and enemy telegraphs feel much improved. No instant death QTEs or obnoxious genre switches yet. Music is also way better. Even the button mashing QTEs for torture attacks and climaxes are a bit smoother to perform.

My thoughts on Bayo 1 were basically "Great! Well, except for..." while Bayo 2 is all "GREAT!" so far. Hopefully there isn't any nonsense later in the game to drag it down.

Bravo, Platinum.
2nd climax...are you a casual or just an old lady

Did you not see me telling everybody with the slightest familiarity with Bayo to play 3rd

Did you not see all the posts claiming 2nd was too easy and I should have started on 3rd

edit: make sure you buy Bats Within and the Moon of M.Nightshyamalan

Raptomex

I just started this up this weekend after beating the first game for the first time. Amazing sequel. The visuals are fantastic. So colorful, I love it. The gameplay doesn't feel too different, still has that Bayonetta style but much more refined. The story still has me confused and I have no idea what's going on and I fucking love it. There's just something about it.

I think this is my favorite series in the genre.

I just beat this today and oh my god it was fantastic.

Clicked with me so much more than the original did back on PS3.

I played it all on second climax and didn't really use anything other than the guns.

Bought every technique and all the witch hearts and almost all of the moon pearls. Need to get some accessories and then I'll jump back in 3rd climax and mess around with all the other weapons.

Might replay the Wii U version of Bayo 1 first though and compare the two.

Did you not see me telling everybody with the slightest familiarity with Bayo to play 3rd

Did you not see all the posts claiming 2nd was too easy and I should have started on 3rd

No...

I replayed prologue through ch3 on 3rd climax and didn't have any trouble (actually platinumed about half my fights so far) so I'll prolly continue from there. I'm up to chapter 6 on 2nd climax.

Only things I've bought are Stiletto, Moon of Parrying, and Bat Within.

Just played the first chapter. Man, this is the best controlling character in existence. I thought I was being thorough but I still ended up missing 4 verses. Walked backward after pretty much every checkpoint.

My dodging was straight up doo doo tier till I bought Bat Within. I rely on that shit way too much lol. Gotta save up for Moon of Maharajah

Cutscenes have been cheesy as fuck but I've laughed more than a few times.

"That motherfucker wouldn't listen to reason. It's all good cuz, I didn't either."

Rodin is that dude.

No...

I replayed prologue through ch3 on 3rd climax and didn't have any trouble (actually platinumed about half my fights so far) so I'll prolly continue from there. I'm up to chapter 6 on 2nd climax.

Only things I've bought are Stiletto, Moon of Parrying, and Bat Within.

I recommend getting the back-forward punch/kick moves as well. You can start Witch Time off of them so they can be pretty useful.

Umbran Spear (I think that's the name?) is godlike too. Teleporting is so good.

S/N: I hope that an artbook for this game is made down the line. Would be even better if it came with a DVD like The Eyes of Bayonetta did.

Anbec7

I have 47 verses unlocked for Tag Climax, how do I unlock the other ones? Playing Tag climax? or infinite Climax????

Kouriozan

Chapter IV verse 5, killed the boss with Alrauna grab in witch time, but the heavies music won't stop and the verse is still going on with no ennemies.
Edit : you're supposed to finish him with climax too :lol

It's a very minor point but I find it terribly annoying that when I equip Scarborough Fair and shoot with Y, the gun just turns blue. I want it patched.

Oh, that's probably because that animation is hardcoded.

Edit: I want an art book ala Eyes of Bayonetta for this one too. Especially the demon design is something I really really like. Sloth and Resentment <3.

Just finished this game last night, and enjoyed it quite a lot more than the first. I found it pretty easy on 2nd Climax, but looking in this thread now I'm guessing I should have gone on 3rd Climax, especially since I found the original fairly easy on normal mode. I died twice, one against the mini boss in the sort of courtyard in chapter 1 that you
revisit again towards the end
, and once again in chapter 2 but I don't remember that death. I also used no items or accessories.

Is there any downside/penalty for using accessories aside from the ones that explicitly state you won't get your score counted for when you use them?

Anyway, I'm on mobile, so I'll post detailed impressions when I'm not. Definitely my GotY so far, although unless I'm forgetting something this is the only game from this year that I've played outside MK8 and USFIV.

Would anyone be up to playing Tag Climax with me in say just over 3 hours? I'm not great at the game, but I can hold my own, and I'm fine with dodge offsetting.

Question about playable characters:
Would I be correct in guessing Rodin and Balder are playable? Maybe Rosa too, or maybe as a costume? They all seem to be like Vergil in DMC3, and Jeanne in Bayo 1, in that they can do similar things to what Bayonetta can do.

If anyone's interested, my NNID is Jimnymebob.

Top Bottom