• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

I have 47 verses unlocked for Tag Climax, how do I unlock the other ones? Playing Tag climax? or infinite Climax????
You can unlock at least a few by playing tag climax, those cards pop up randomly. While the other ones you have to beat the
Witch Trials

Just finished this game last night, and enjoyed it quite a lot more than the first. I found it pretty easy on 2nd Climax, but looking in this thread now I'm guessing I should have gone on 3rd Climax, especially since I found the original fairly easy on normal mode. I died twice, one against the mini boss in the sort of courtyard in chapter 1 that you
revisit again towards the end
, and once again in chapter 2 but I don't remember that death. I also used no items or accessories.

Is there any downside/penalty for using accessories aside from the ones that explicitly state you won't get your score counted for when you use them?

Anyway, I'm on mobile, so I'll post detailed impressions when I'm not. Definitely my GotY so far, although unless I'm forgetting something this is the only game from this year that I've played outside MK8 and USFIV.

Would anyone be up to playing Tag Climax with me in say just over 3 hours? I'm not great at the game, but I can hold my own, and I'm fine with dodge offsetting.

Question about playable characters:
Would I be correct in guessing Rodin and Balder are playable? Maybe Rosa too, or maybe as a costume? They all seem to be like Vergil in DMC3, and Jeanne in Bayo 1, in that they can do similar things to what Bayonetta can do.

If anyone's interested, my NNID is Jimnymebob.
No penalties for accessories except for what you mentioned. There are no penalties for using items in this game either.

You are correct about the playable characters. You unlock Rosa from beating 3rd Climax and Rodin and Balder are from playing Tag Climax
What are the difficulty modes beyond the 3 available initially? Do have to play it twice for no Witch Time mode?
Just Infinite Climax but it still has WT. This game is more designed around the mechanic than the first game so it's kind of necessary. You can always use Jeanne if you want more of a challenge from it.

Kouriozan

Damn Alrauna and dem glitches.
Managed to grab the Masked Sage while he was jumping to switch into phase 2 in chapter 4, it made him freeze while being upside down on the ground.
Thankfully another grab will make him jump again.

Just Infinite Climax but it still has WT. This game is more designed around the mechanic than the first game so it's kind of necessary. You can always use Jeanne if you want more of a challenge from it.

Ok cool. Do you still need a platinum average to unlock Jeanne this time around?

Oh yeah, how do you see your completion stats on the chapter selection screen? Strange that that was taken out or do you need to complete the game first? I can't remember.

I'm about to finish NSIC with Jeanne. Chapter 12 beat me up good. With GOD it might be even harder than MNM in NG 2.

No penalties for accessories except for what you mentioned. There are no penalties for using items in this game either.

You are correct about the playable characters. You unlock Rosa from beating 3rd Climax and Rodin and Balder are from playing Tag Climax

Right, thanks for that. I'll have to get some of those accessories then; the Gaze of Despair was always fun to use on the original.

The whole item penalty did always strike me as quite odd on Bayo 1, especially since you can't get pure platinum if you get hit anyway as far as I remember, and even platinum medals require you to avoid taking so much damage that you'd need to use a green lolly.

rugioh

Banned
Does Scarborough Fair/Handguns do more damage than Love is Blue? I'd like to have a pistols layout to swap to but I feel that its hard to get Platinum time ranks with the default guns, the damage output on them for the bigger enemies isn't too great.

Unit24

Does Scarborough Fair/Handguns do more damage than Love is Blue? I'd like to have a pistols layout to swap to but I feel that its hard to get Platinum time ranks with the default guns, the damage output on them for the bigger enemies isn't too great.

They actually do pretty good damage if you hold down the button with each hit and remember to use dodge offset.

Rich!

Hm.

I got the bayo 1 and 2 bundle at launch, only just unwrapped and had a look at bayo 2 (played 1 first), and I'm not very happy with the artwork sleeve:

iGh754ZFSaY8o.JPG

It's all creased up. And this was sealed, and in another sealed box, sold brand new upon release. It's hard to accurately show it in a photo, but it's far worse than the photo above shows.

Bayonetta 1's sleeve is absolutely fine.

Hm.

I got the bayo 1 and 2 bundle at launch, only just unwrapped and had a look at bayo 2 (played 1 first), and I'm not very happy with the artwork sleeve:

It's all creased up. And this was sealed, and in another sealed box, sold brand new upon release. It's hard to accurately show it in a photo, but it's far worse than the photo above shows.

Bayonetta 1's sleeve is absolutely fine.

it probably was too hot for the packaging and sweat.

random25

Just started Bayonetta 2 and and oh my goodness the first few chapters are just a whole lot better after coming off Bayo 1. I'm loving this already!

And I love that Rakshasa. Two swords are the boss.

Finished this yesterday and I can't help but feel 2 was hugely inferior to the first. The ending was incredibly poor and the music was pretty forgettable, other than Tomorrow is Mine and Moon River of course. Gameplay wise, it was more than stellar, but it just lacked that something special Kamiya marinades his games with I feel.

Finished this yesterday and I can't help but feel 2 was hugely inferior to the first. The ending was incredibly poor and the music was pretty forgettable, other than Tomorrow is Mine and Moon River of course. Gameplay wise, it was more than stellar, but it just lacked that something special Kamiya marinades his games with I feel.

No way.

Also "something special" is the same deal as "magic/soul/heart" etc and doesn't exist.

We can all agree that the ending could have been better, but that doesn't make an otherwise super tight and great game hugely inferior. However if you prefer the first over the second, it's okay.
Btw the story was by Kamiya.

We can all agree that the ending could have been better, but that doesn't make an otherwise super tight and great game hugely inferior. However if you prefer the first over the second, it's okay.
Agreed

The ending isn't as big and epic as B1 or W101 but it's so much better for replays. There are no segments I dread on replays like there are with the other two games.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Finished Bayonetta 2 last night. Is this the greatest character action game of all time? I'll have to play through it some more to decide but it sure as hell feels like it with all the content not to mention Bayonetta 1 is included with every copy of 2.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
What its missing is dumb mini games that are a chore to play through on replays as well as severe pacing issues.. That's what Bayonetta 2 is missing and I couldn't be happier.

Alrus

What does this even mean?

antitrop

Shitty, frustratingly punitive platforming sections. Difficulty curve that will leave your head spinning. Instant death, short-timing windowed QTEs that affect your score ranking and overlong gimmick tribute stages. Eclectic pacing. Perfect ending.

Finished Bayonetta 2 last night. Is this the greatest character action game of all time? I'll have to play through it some more to decide but it sure as hell feels like it with all the content not to mention Bayonetta 1 is included with every copy of 2.

It certainly is the best value perhaps ever. two full A+ games for $60? Sold.

I feel like Bayo 2 has muuuuuch better pacing. I haven't begun replaying through sections for medals yet, but those minigame sections in Bayo 1 went on for ages and killed any momentum of fun. The mini-game before the Jeanne in Bayo 1 fight in particular made me want to pull my teeth out when replaying the game.

It's just a shame Bayonetta 2 didn't stick the ending and had a rival less referential to the first game, otherwise I wouldn't hesitate in saying it's better than the first.

That being said, the first is maybe my favorite action game ever made, so "just a touch disappointing in some ways" still cements a Platinum, even without Kamiya completely at the helm, capable of blowing my mind at the scale of action that can be done in a videogame.

Finished 3rd climax and the prologue & first chapter on infinite climax. Once you start playing the game, you can't stop. I loved the first one and spent 100 hours playing it, but Bayo 2 is better, number 2 is better paced and more enjoyable. Also the sequel has better boss fights overall. For the people who are saying the music is forgettable, listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvWAjpX1y8I, I love this battle theme. One thing I don't like in bayo 2: the hammer weapon is not fun to use imo.

random25

I don't see what's bad about Bayo 2's final boss when compared to Bayo 1's. If it's a rival battle not like in the first game, then that's really good in my book. Never liked Bayo 1's final boss because it felt more gimmicky than the usual boss battles, which I really like.

Also "something special" is the same deal as "magic/soul/heart" etc and doesn't exist.

Wow... Ok. Well, have a nice life dictated by cold, hard logic I suppose.

Yeah I've only played it once so I need to replay on hard and play the first again to make a better judgement but after the godlike 101 and Bayo 1 endings with stupidly amazing boss battles, I was let down. I didn't get that feeling of immense awesomeness that I felt when I finished those games so that's why I feel it's inferior for now.

I don't see what's bad about Bayo 2's final boss when compared to Bayo 1's. If it's a rival battle not like in the first game, then that's really good in my book. Never liked Bayo 1's final boss because it felt more gimmicky than the usual boss battles, which I really like.
I felt like you were more or less fighting just...
a guy, rather than something huge and over the top. There weren't any big bawdy showy gimmicks, and the big hair summon was more or less exactly the same as in Bayonetta 1, and then the 'flying through the air' segment was a really scaled down version of the first game. A canned animation of Gamorrah is a huge step down from punching someone into the sun.

It was a scaled down retreat of the final moments of the first game, but didn't up the ante at all, and felt like a significant step down in spectacle from the rival battles you were already having all game long.

No silly dance sequence either. :\

Astral Dog

I think i prefer the pacing of the first game,im not sure i can explain why, but the chapters feel longer, i like that it has more enemy sections, and the main bosses are on their properly named chapters.

On the second there are more short chapters, only with the boss, others with two big boss battles.

Beat it yesterday. It was fun but I prefer the original. I wish I had played it on 3rd climax, as 2nd was way too easy. Only died twice and used one item. Are the Nintendo costumes only in the original game?

random25

I felt like you were more or less fighting just...
a guy, rather than something huge and over the top. There weren't any big bawdy showy gimmicks, and the big hair summon was more or less exactly the same as in Bayonetta 1, and then the 'flying through the air' segment was a really scaled down version of the first game. A canned animation of Gamorrah is a huge step down from punching someone into the sun.

It was a scaled down retreat of the final moments of the first game, but didn't up the ante at all, and felt like a significant step down in spectacle from the rival battles you were already having all game long.

No silly dance sequence either. :\

I guess I gotta experience it first...

Neiteio

I think i prefer the pacing of the first game,im not sure i can explain why, but the chapters feel longer, i like that it has more enemy sections, and the main bosses are on their properly named chapters.

On the second there are more short chapters, only with the boss, others with two big boss battles.
Not sure about that. There are numerous chapters in Bayo 1 that are only a boss, like the Fortitudo fight, Temperantia fight, etc. Also, not sure why some people were saying Bayo 2 lacked trash mob battles -- there are plenty of group fights against angels and demons.

I think Bayo 2 dramatically improved the pacing. Bayo 1 had some chapters that seemed interminable in length, which is why I'd only play several chapters per sitting, at most. With Bayo 2, however, the flow is constant. It's not that chapters are shorter, it's that they're denser and better designed, flowing like water from one moment to the next. It's so smooth that it's hard to put it down. It has that compulsively playable "just one more chapter" quality to it that led me to beat Bayo 2 in two sittings, which is virtually unheard of for me these days.

Both games are fantastic, of course. But for me, Bayo 2 is the clear winner. :)

Anfony O

Alright guys I just got my first print edition bayonetta. (yeh I'm bragging). I know this question has probably been asked to death but I'm tired and I can't be bothered searching it up. Do I need to go through Bayo 1 before I jump in on Bayo 2. Is the story of utter importance? Thanks guys

Alright guys I just got my first print edition bayonetta. (yeh I'm bragging). I know this question has probably been asked to death but I'm tired and I can't be bothered searching it up. Do I need to go through Bayo 1 before I jump in on Bayo 2. Is the story of utter importance? Thanks guys
If you've never played it, then you should definitely consider Bayonetta 1+2 a single, long, incredible game.

Well it's kind of seems like Kamiya likes to dip his toes into other genres, experiment a bit more in how to create variation within fights and throw in a bit more breathing room between fights as well.

Maybe it's because I'm a platforming fan but I've never really gotten the greater scale of negativity for the few sections in 1, Bayonetta's character control works well enough for such things and you've got the options of double jump, Panther and Crow transformations to ease the pressure or save time and I don't recall many instances where failed jumps would impact the rank of a verse, it's a nice alternative to just running from one battle arena to the next.

Speaking of battle arenas even there the Kamiya effect is in play, sometimes they find a way to mix things up be it hazardous lava floors, an ever present crushing Golem factor while you were also on a key hunt or having a vulnerable character to also defend while the sequel would sooner have you battle alongside someone just as capable as the player which isn't nearly as interesting as a variation.
Aside from that you had bits like using witch time to outpace the pursuing Golem ball, battling a mini boss up a lift shaft as pursuing flames threaten to engulf you and a strange chase like segment where you had to help Cereza push on while lobbing obstacles at the incoming foe.

Now I absolutely get why not all of this is considered particularly good, I forgot until the other day that there was an out of place turret segment in the first game, my mind was right to have deleted it from my memory and the less said about the overstaying their welcome bike and missile stages the better but I don't think Bayonetta 2 had to dial things all the way back as much as it did.
It's like they went a bit too straight with the more clear cut combat focus in that segments between verses are mostly just a basic stroll away, far fewer instances of using witch time outside of battles to progress across the environment, a case of streamlining where they did improve a number of things but also lost a few along the way.

Now when it comes down to it, yeah there's much less to gripe about with this games structure than the original, I find it's more pleasant to play from small details like torture attacks not taking so long to mash out to the combat just feeling that much more refined, I'm just saying that it wasn't all bad and that Kamiya touch has some merit you know?
It reminds me a bit of Ninja Gaiden going onto its sequel, the original had some light "puzzles", janky platforming, exploration and more down time in general, then its follow up axed damn near all of this in favour of never ending combat out the arse with nary a moment to breathe and as much as I cursed the jank platforming segment I had to replay every time I fell to the final boss in the original deep down I've got to say it just wouldn't be the same without (though they could have just put the save point after it, grumble).
It's a tricky balance for this genre it seems, combat is the core focus and they should try not to detract from that especially if what they use to space things out is subpar filler that just ain't that fun to play, I just think they shouldn't surrender so soon to refining the variety.
Fortunately Bayonetta 2 does still have the odd pace changer segments and they're just the right length as well for the most part.
Still not sure which of the two Bayonetta games I prefer but I can say 2 doesn't tick me off as much as 1 can so it has the leg up on that alone.

Shitty, frustratingly punitive platforming sections. Difficulty curve that will leave your head spinning. Instant death, short-timing windowed QTEs that affect your score ranking and overlong gimmick tribute stages. Eclectic pacing. Perfect ending.

Unfortunately this is also the side effect of the baove, I'd say I agree with all of this as well.

dankir

I'm getting my copy today, is the final boss battle as epic as the first games?

I mean size, scope and most important music?

Greatest Jubilee is one of the most incredible final boss soundtracks I've ever played with. Her attacks, the space environment, the boss size and how you finish the battle on top of that is amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV3wFRy23cY

Chapter 8 might be my favourite. Just a great bunch of well varied encounters, really fun to play. Also the only chapter I've platinumed on 3rd Climax so far!

Astral Dog

I'm getting my copy today, is the final boss battle as epic as the first games?

I mean size, scope and most important music?

Greatest Jubilee is one of the most incredible final boss soundtracks I've ever played with. Her attacks, the space environment, the boss size and how you finish the battle on top of that is amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV3wFRy23cY

No, but there are more Jeanne tier fights.

The music is good, but does not compare to the Greatest Jubilee, it doesnt have the same complexity, i prefer its other song.
Beyond Time

Top Bottom