• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brick

lol

As if there was any doubt, Bayo 2 delivers. Now comes the internal debate over whether I want to play this or Civ BE on Oct 24th.

MV5BNDIzODc3Mjk5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDc5NDc5._V1_.jpg

This is the same debate I'm having with myself.

wildfire

Banned
Can I suggest a subtitle for the OT?

"Nintendoes what Sega don't."

You mean "Nintendoes what Secan't."

I hope all the people who were port begging and have the spare cash now feel more willing to buy the game and console because from the reviews it sounds like it will be worth it to them.

If he honestly, seriously feels that way, I have no issue with what he said. It's an opinion. If he's just trying to drum up controversy and get hits, then yes, give me a break indeed.

Normally I would give them the benefit of the doubt, but it's Polygon, so I don't know.

As someone who got 25 seconds into that GameSpot video and turned it off adter finding it gross, I see no problem with a reviewer criticizing the game for that kind of content. As a parent of a teen girl who suffers from body image issues, I am sensitive to that kind of content.

That said, more power to those people who enjoy that kind of stuff. I just don't think anyone should expect every reviewer/critic to see it the same way as either you and I do.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Most of the world sees nothing wrong with sexuality, and it is usually only Americans critics that have this attitude.

Ding ding! Always weird to see curb stomping and head exploding being treated okay, but a little sexy moan and naked thigh here and there is DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING. Its also worth mentioning Gies essentially went on record during the Bayo 1/Vanquish era as just not liking Japanese games. There are many layers to why he's considered one of the worst in the biz.

Good to hear the game is getting great reviews from people not desperate to grind an axe, and that it doesnt interrupt the action as much as Bayo 1. We'll see if it can beat out my current Platinum fave, Revengeance!

kcp12304

Banned
An excerpt:

Basically a "how dare you enjoy this, be outraged with me!" review from Gies.

I read the review. That's not what it sounded like at all. (Edit)Don't misrepresent the guy. Besides, it's just one dude's opinion. He didn't like what he thought were camera angles that leered at her but liked the gameplay.

So what. People need to stop freaking out about the one outlier review like they always do in these types of threads.

I read the review. That's not what it sounded like at all. It's just one guys opinion. He didn't like what he thought were camera angles that leered at her but like the gameplay. So what.

People need to stop freaking out about the one outlier review like they always do in these types of threads.

Well said.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
If he honestly, seriously feels that way, I have no issue with what he said. It's an opinion. If he's just trying to drum up controversy and get hits, then yes, give me a break indeed.

Normally I would give them the benefit of the doubt, but it's Polygon, so I don't know.

Feel both! It may be a legitimate opinion, but it's probably not a good reason to rate the game down by.

Sayter

I just dont know why one review sends everyone into a tizzy.

Don't agree with it? Cool...there are 100 other reviews.

Not every review is going to be your own view of "right"

True. But in a world where tearing enemies to shreads, and watching their bloody guts spladder all over the screen in beautiful high definition, being offended by a little sexuality comes off as hypocritical IMO.

Loved the first game and was really impressed with the demo. It's good to see all the praise this is getting now. Hopefully the reviews will help out on the sales front.

Einbroch

Banned
Ding ding! Always weird to see curb stomping and head exploding being treated okay, but a little sexy moan and naked thigh here and there is DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING. Its also worth mentioning Gies essentially went on record during the Bayo 1/Vanquish era as just not liking Japanese games. There are many layers to why he's considered one of the worst in the biz.

Good to hear the game is getting great reviews from people not desperate to grind an axe, and that it doesnt interrupt the action as much as Bayo 1. We'll see if it can beat out my current Platinum fave, Revengeance!

This is completely not fair.

He's the worst in the biz because he doesn't like Japanese character action games? I don't either. It's not the sexualization, it's the complete lack of a focus on story and characters that are one-dimension that put me off. They may have fun gameplay, but fun gameplay can only take you so far.

Now, if you don't care about that stuff, more power to you. Feel free to love, enjoy, and play what you want. No one can take that away from you. But to damn someone to being the "worst in the biz" because he doesn't like a genre, please. They're opinions.

I read the review. That's not what it sounded like at all. It's just one guys opinion. He didn't like what he thought were camera angles that leered at her but like the gameplay. So what.

People need to stop freaking out about the one outlier review like they always do in these types of threads.

Let's be honest here, it's not the review, it's the reviewer that people are upset at. There are a lot of people on Gaf who feel Gies has some sort of personal vendetta against them and this is just their outlet.

That said, right or wrong people are allowed to discuss the bad reviews... This is a forum based on game and game industry happenings, that includes reviews. Please don't play the high horse and try to keep other people from discussing things just because you don't agree.

He's the worst in the biz because he doesn't like Japanese character action games? I don't either. It's not the sexualization, it's the complete lack of a focus on story and characters that are one-dimension that put me off. They may have fun gameplay, but fun gameplay can only take you so far.

Now, if you don't care about that stuff, more power to you. Feel free to love, enjoy, and play what you want. No one can take that away from you. But to damn someone to being the "worst in the biz" because he doesn't like a genre, please. They're opinions.

Then WHY is he reviewing them???

Surely, they have other personnel at that site.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Another game I gotta grab once I get a Wii U. Platinum lives up to the name. Makes me twice as excited to see what they come up with for Scalebound.

xinek

I had a feeling some of those opinions were done by females but they didn't mention their gender because it wasn't relevant.

But yeah, considering at least two members here were interested in a female perspective, that anonymity thing won't help them much. (but any female not outing themself or joining in now is well within their right not to do so)
Considering most of the comments in this thread, it should be evident why women ("females", ugh) aren't outing themselves or bothering to participate. It's simply exhausting.

I wouldn't normally defend Gies, since I almost never agree with him, but I find it interesting that the sexualization aspect of this game seems to be ignored by the other reviewers in their scores. It's one real way to send a message to developers and publishers.

As a female gamer, I'll be buying Bayonetta 2, because it looks amazing and I love the demo. But, I'll be buying it with the full understanding of exactly what I'm supporting with my money. For this reason, I may decide to buy it used. Haven't decided yet.

KooopaKid

Banned

Do you think it's logical that someone who doesn't like a genre reviews a game in said genre? What's the point?
I don't like chocolate. 2/10.

Kacho

Gold Member
are we doing live metascore updates in the title now? lol

I feel like one or two mods really love them some Bayonetta. I just saw the Steam thread title change. Haha

Also, is EatChildren still alive? I haven't seen or heard from him in ages.

Einbroch

Banned
Then WHY is he reviewing them???

Surely, they have other personnel at that site.

It's a balance. If you just get people that like jRPGs to review jRPGs, you'd see 90+ on Metacritic for a lot of games. If you just get people that like racing games to review racing games, you'd see the same. This is pretty much the pinnacle of Japanese character action games, is it not? It's the most "action game" game out there. It's like saying you need a hardcore sim racing fan to review the most hardcore sim racing game. It's not fair to the reader. You want some balance.

I have no affinity towards Polygon or Gies, in fact, I don't like the way Gies behaves on Twitter, but it's an opinion. As long as it's honest, where's the issue? Disagree, but don't attack.

Do you think it's logical that someone who doesn't like a genre reviews a game in said genre? What's the point?
I don't like chocolate. 2/10.

Actually, it makes sense. If someone doesn't like chocolate, and then reviews a chocolate and says "Wow, I don't like this stuff, but this one is good! Here's why." all the people out there who don't like chocolate will take notice. It's not stupid at all.

kcp12304

Banned
Let's be honest here, it's not the review, it's the reviewer that people are upset at. There are a lot of people on Gaf who feel Gies has some sort of personal vendetta against them and this is just their outlet.

That said, right or wrong people are allowed to discuss the bad reviews... This is a forum based on game and game industry happenings, that includes reviews. Please don't play the high horse and try to keep other people from discussing things just because you don't agree.

They can discuss it all they want but people seem to disproportionately focus on the one or two "bad" reviews. They become hyper critical of these "7s" which are not even bad scores. People get too emotional and act like the reviewers killed their dog or something.

It becomes pages of people bashing a few reviews but forgetting about the good ones. It derails good discussion in my opinion.

For me it's the exploration and pacing elements. I love the type of experience I get from Alien Isolation more than a very focused action game like TW101. There's no doubt both are good games, but I tend to prefer western developed games because they do emphasize exploration over arcade-style focus.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

and yet the characters aren't one dimensional in Bayonetta and the plot is easy to follow

They can discuss it all they want but people seem to disproportionately focus on the one or two "bad" reviews. They become hyper critical of these "7s" which are not even bad scores. People get too emotional and act like the reviewers killed their dog or something.

It becomes pages of people bashing a few reviews but forgetting about the good ones. It derails good discussion in my opinion.

I couldn't care less about the score, I'm more bothered by the "factual" attempts to make Bayonetta something degrading.

Irminsul

I wouldn't normally defend Gies, since I almost never agree with him, but I find it interesting that the sexualization aspect of this game seems to be ignored by the other reviewers in their scores. It's one real way to send a message to developers and publishers.
That would be only true if sexualisation is a bad thing per se and it additionally should be a crucial point of every review. I don't think either point is true.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Its not about him "not liking Japanese games" or even how thats an entirely nonsense standing point to even be starting from. Time and time again he shows how he sets his opinion months, sometimes years, in advance, and never goes into something with even a whiff of objectivity. Mental gymnastics, nitpicking that he wont engage in on other products he already has a positive buzz for, and a stubborn refusal to ever shift his stance all combine to make any review he writes an exercise in "Arthur Gies still doesn't like _____. More news at eleven". Theres a mountain of examples, and this just gets to be one of the latest.

Anyway, thats enough about the worst review.

Scum

I feel like one or two mods really love them some Bayonetta. I just saw the Steam thread title change. Haha

Also, is EatChildren still alive? I haven't seen or heard from him in ages.

Lucky bugger's probably playing Bayo2 by now while we wait. 😒

jackal27

Banned
This game is a celebration for people who love games, but it's also a somber reminder how disappointing the industry can be:

1) Perhaps the best Metacriticaly acclaimed game this year that may not sell well. :(

2) Exclusive to the worst selling console that arguably has the best exclusive library so far among current consoles.

3) A definite GOTY contender that probably won't be even recognized by mainstream game awards like Spike's VGA, etc.

4) A game that "almost" didn't happen!

I'm excited for the game and it'll most likely be my GOTY...but it's a major bummer that we may never get a Bayonetta 3. :(

So better enjoy this one!

So much truth here. I'm just glad that I own a Wii U and that this game happened. I am so pumped

Also, lol @ Polygon's review. Ok guys.

Considering most of the comments in this thread, it should be evident why women ("females", ugh) aren't outing themselves or bothering to participate. It's simply exhausting.

As a female gamer, I'll be buying Bayonetta 2, because it looks amazing and I love the demo. But, I'll be buying it with the full understanding of exactly what I'm supporting with my money. For this reason, I may decide to buy it used. Haven't decided yet.

Eh, really? I'm sorry if using the term "female" is bad in some way, English is my third language. Aside from that, I haven't seen any hostility directed at women at all in this thread. Though I, again, dislike people criticizing the Polygon review without adding anything to the discussion, but honestly that happens whenever there's a dissenting review no matter the reason. The Gamespot review did have a line in there about sexualization but merely mentioned that it didn't come across as a negative representation. Honestly I'm hoping there will be more articles written about this from different outlets, especially ones with people explaining why they think Bayonetta is sexist.

Would you care to add your opinion on why Bayonetta is/isn't to be taken as a sexist product to the point where you wouldn't want to support the developers over it?

Lunar15

Going by the previous game's metacritic, it seems like the overall message is, "If you liked the first one, you're definitely going to like the second!" Any issues people seemed to have with it are issues that were also in the first. If you didn't have a good time there, I doubt this one would change your mind.

Also, yes: Bayonetta's overtly sexual antics aren't going to be everyone's cup of tea. Surprise! People gotta stop getting so offended by reviews.

Paragon Pariah

Neo Member
They may have fun gameplay, but fun gameplay can only take you so far.

I know this is your opinion, but I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I honestly couldn't summarize for you what the story of Bayonetta 1 is, but it is still fresh in my mind as one of the best action games I have ever played. For me, game stories aren't nearly as important as the gameplay.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member

I don't think that he has to like those kind of games, but it's not exactly fair either to review a sort of game in a genre you absolutely do not like. If you don't like it because of reasons beyond what the game controls and you're not going to give the game a chance, you're better off not reviewing it.

Now I don't know if that makes him a terrible reviewer at all or completely invalidates what he said for Bayo2, but hearing that would make me question what he says. It just doesn't sound professional at all.

No one is "freaking out" or "acting like the reviewer killed their dog."

Most people are more or less saying "lol Polygon" or some variant of it. If there's one review out of 20 that is different than the rest, regardless of the content, it's going to get attention and be discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom