• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be only true if sexualisation is a bad thing per se and it additionally should be a crucial point of every review. I don't think either point is true.

Why shouldn't the hyper sexualization of the game be an aspect of a review? I feel the same about violence: if it is a major aspect of a game, it is worth discussing in a review.

KooopaKid

Banned
Actually, it makes sense. If someone doesn't like chocolate, and then reviews a chocolate and says "Wow, I don't like this stuff, but this one is good! Here's why." all the people out there who don't like chocolate will take notice. It's not stupid at all.

Except here he's saying he doesn't like chocolate. So his review is worthless for those who like chocolate AND those who don't like chocolate.

Einbroch

Banned
I know this is your opinion, but I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I honestly couldn't summarize for you what the story of Bayonetta 1 is, but it is still fresh in my mind as one of the best action games I have ever played. For me, game stories aren't nearly as important as the gameplay.

I agree. They aren't. But I need some kind of story and characters I actually care about to be invested.

If you don't, that doesn't make you wrong, or worse, or have bad taste. It's just what you find important. Subjective, like reviews.

besada

Banned
Can we please stop talking about sexualization in this topic too?

this thread is about review scores for bayonetta,if you want to talk about sexualization in games,there are already threads for that

1) This thread is for discussing reviews of Bayonetta, not simply review scores, but the contents of the reviews, including reviews that discuss the story and presentation of the game.

2) Please don't attempt to moderate or direct a thread if you aren't a moderator.

correojon

This thread has made me a happy guy, not because of the scores but because reading some reviews it seems P* has finally cut down on all the minigames!!! :D :D :D This was the weakest point of the first game and the thing that stopped me from replaying the game even more than I already did.

Ding ding! Always weird to see curb stomping and head exploding being treated okay, but a little sexy moan and naked thigh here and there is DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING. Its also worth mentioning Gies essentially went on record during the Bayo 1/Vanquish era as just not liking Japanese games. There are many layers to why he's considered one of the worst in the biz.

Exactly what I was thinking.

PSGames

Game sounds amazing which I suspected after the demo. This will probably be my GOTY. Oct 24th is taking forever to get here.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I agree. They aren't. But I need some kind of story and characters I actually care about to be invested.

If you don't, that doesn't make you wrong, or worse, or have bad taste. It's just what you find important. Subjective, like reviews.

Actually I'd argue that a review should have less about the reviewer's feelings and more on thorough analysis on the content.

Impressive!! Enjoying the demo until the tries dry up.

I have so much on Wii U right now but got to support Platinum with this gem, going to get both 1 and 2, I will find the money somewhere, lol.

Reviews should have 2 scores, fun factor and thorough analysis of the content (value, graphics, gameplay and sound, MP if aplicable).

emalord

The guy who spent years publicly referring to a woman as his "vaginal companion" sure is easily offended by the digital "sexism" of Bayonetta 2.

I have a dear friend calling his wife "my dong's lining"
It's cute (in a weird way but cute) and mirrors their mutual sense of love and possession.
I think they would both love Bayonetta too, if they were gamers.
Yes, I live in a good part of the world free from psychosis and hope it's not going to change soon

rtcn63

Is the game enjoyable on the gamepad, or is a Pro controller a must? They don't seem to go on sale too often, and that bothers me. :(

Einbroch

Banned
Actually I'd argue that a review should have less about the reviewer's feelings and more on thorough analysis on the content.

And I would disagree. I want the review industry to evolve to a point where I can follow one or two reviewers that have similar tastes to mine. I go to reviews to see if I would like a game. I honestly don't care if it's only analysis of the systems, graphics, or what-have-you.

We're not there (and may never be), but that's what I want. There are a few posters on GAF I follow for this reason.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Honestly, it's just a part of the job. You get used to it for the most part, though occasionally it boils over some times.

But really folks, if you dislike the Polygon review, the best thing you can do is not talk about it after you read it. When you do talk about it, it gets others to read it, which counts as more readers.

Read the stuff you like, ignore the stuff you don't, find reviewers who you can trust.

Good advice.

jackal27

Banned
Is the game enjoyable on the gamepad, or is a Pro controller a must? They don't seem to go on sale too often, and that bothers me. :(

Just buy a Pro and never look back man. I got a white Japanese one for $40 on Amazon a few weeks ago and have never regretted it.

Majestad

Banned
So is this the greatest character action game ever made? Bayonetta 1 already was, and 2 seems to be the one to take its throne.

I've played the demo on both and while I preferred the Pro Controller, the Gamepad worked great as well and I'd have no problem playing with it if that was my only option available.

If you can afford a Pro Controller though, go for it. It's great and has an incredible battery life.

Hugstable

Banned
God damn those review scores are amazing! Can't wait for this game to finally release, got 60$ in eShop just sitting and waiting to finally get a piece of some Bayo. Never played the first game outside of the old PS3 demo, so this is gonna be a brand new experience for me. EXCITE!

KooopaKid

Banned
God damn those review scores are amazing! Can't wait for this game to finally release, got 60$ in eShop just sitting and waiting to finally get a piece of some Bayo. Never played the first game outside of the old PS3 demo, so this is gonna be a brand new experience for me. EXCITE!

Out of curiosity, why didn't you play the first game?

So is this the greatest character action game ever made? Bayonetta 1 already was, and 2 seems to be the one to take its throne.

I could envision it being a Mario Galaxy -------> Mario Galaxy 2 situation in that the first one will have the greater "wow" factor but the sequel will be of similar quality except better.

Ostinatto

I have a dear friend calling his wife "my dong's lining"
It's cute (in a weird way but cute) and mirrors their mutual sense of love and possession.
I think they would both love Bayonetta too, if they were gamers.
Yes, I live in a good part of the world free from psychosis and hope it's not going to change soon

Republic of Fiji ?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
And I would disagree. I want the review industry to evolve to a point where I can follow one or two reviewers that have similar tastes to mine. I go to reviews to see if I would like a game. I honestly don't care if it's only analysis of the systems, graphics, or what-have-you.

We're not there (and may never be), but that's what I want. There are a few posters on GAF I follow for this reason.

You'll end up in an echo chamber.

Great games sometimes can come out on places that you might feel like you don't like.

jackal27

Banned
Very nice...I'll buy it at low price.

Whyyyyyyy.

I mean, if you honestly can't afford the game I get it, or don't buy $60 games, but you are getting incredible 2 games for 1 from a developer that could really use the sale for a console that desires your love.

Just get it bruh.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
I hope that when the other consoles really how much they fucked up by not supporting Bayo2, that Nintendo doesn't then decide to put it on 3DS.

Sorry, but these graphics look too gorgeous that I don't think the handheld can do it as much justice.

mekes

Game looks great, I think the words written about the longevity made available through the extra play modes might just have me sold. I wasn't expecting review scores as high as this.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Bz1SVjUCIAAXmcT.jpg:large

What about Biogamer Girl?

xinek

Eh, really? I'm sorry if using the term "female" is bad in some way, English is my third language. Aside from that, I haven't seen any hostility directed at women at all in this thread. Though I, again, dislike people criticizing the Polygon review without adding anything to the discussion, but honestly that happens whenever there's a dissenting review no matter the reason. The Gamespot review did have a line in there about sexualization but merely mentioned that it didn't come across as a negative representation. Honestly I'm hoping there will be more articles written about this from different outlets, especially ones with people explaining why they think Bayonetta is sexist.

Would you care to add your opinion on why Bayonetta is/isn't to be taken as a sexist product to the point where you wouldn't want to support the developers over it?
Third language? That is damned impressive. In English, when you use the word "female" as though it's a noun, it often comes across as though you're referring to livestock or something. It's really odd-sounding, but its usage seems to be increasing for some reason.

I wasn't trying to say there has been any hostility. Just utter cluelessness, and in such great quantities that it's impossible to address it all.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think Bayonetta is right on the line for being sexist. You don't see the camera sweeping over male characters' bodies or zeroing in on their crotches in other games. You don't see male characters described as "confident", "owning his sexuality", or anything like that. It's actually laughable to think of it.

As others have said, the problem isn't that Bayonetta has over the top sexuality. The problem is the limitation on women/female characters to be young, pretty, and/or sexy. It gets old, and it's honestly boring. I think the developer of this game could have done much better if they had really wanted to.

I'm annoyed that I have to be put in this position. I want to support Nintendo, a company I love, and a game that has an awesome female lead. I love seeing so many guys pumped up to play a fighting game as a chick with glasses! And yet, I'd much rather support a game with a female lead that doesn't fit the same old "sexy" mold. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom