• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Beezy

Eyemus Lutt said:
So I've been playing this game for a while now, and I just don't get the love for this game. The combat is just not fun and the movement doesn't feel right and it's way too similar to DMC and Ninja Gaiden which are game's I just don't have any fun with. I prefer the more slower combat games like God of War and tried the Dante's Inferno Demo which seems better suited to the combat I like, and I even enjoyed the Darksiders combat a lot more than Bayonetta, but I guess because it's trying to copy God of War.
I guess I've been disappointed by Platinum games this gen with both games being totally underwhelming, after I enjoyed their previous efforts on last gen systems.
What were you expecting? It's a challenging and fast paced japanese action game like DMC and NG, but better. It's what the fans of these games like. They're not gonna dumb it down to appeal to God of War fans. Well I guess they kinda did a little with the QTEs, but that's about it...

Anyway, it sounds like you already know that the game isn't the problem.

Beezy said:
What were you expecting? It's a challenging and fast paced japanese action game like DMC and NG, but better. It's what the fans of these games like. They're not gonna dumb it down to appeal to God of War fans. Well I guess they kinda did a little with the QTEs, but that's about it...

Anyway, it sounds like you already know that the game isn't the problem.

I'm just really disappointed by Platinum after the games they released as Clover, and I gave them a pass on Madworld as the combat in that game was also substandard compared to other action games.

Korey

Eyemus Lutt said:
I'm just really disappointed by Platinum after the games they released as Clover, and I gave them a pass on Madworld as the combat in that game was also substandard compared to other action games.
How is it Clover's fault that they made a game with combat that's different from the type you like? That doesn't say anything about the game itself, just that this isn't the game for you.

Eyemus Lutt said:
So I've been playing this game for a while now, and I just don't get the love for this game. The combat is just not fun and the movement doesn't feel right and it's way too similar to DMC and Ninja Gaiden which are game's I just don't have any fun with. I prefer the more slower combat games like God of War and tried the Dante's Inferno Demo which seems better suited to the combat I like, and I even enjoyed the Darksiders combat a lot more than Bayonetta, but I guess because it's trying to copy God of War.
I guess I've been disappointed by Platinum games this gen with both games being totally underwhelming, after I enjoyed their previous efforts on last gen systems.

You're allowed to prefer slower combat(to each his own and all), but if you don't like your combat to be fast why did you buy a game commonly known as "DMC with tits"?

Eyemus Lutt said:

The "also" implies that Bayonetta's combat is somehow substandard. :|

Decado

Personally I think the combat system is awesome and visceral...but the way you play through the levels doesn't really allow you to get used to it/take advantage of it (far too frequent boss fights and platforming section).

DMC1/3 was put togther much better, IMO (though I don't think I'll be able to play DMC5 since the combat will probably seem terribly dull in comparison).

Beezy

Fimbulvetr said:
The "also" implies that Bayonetta's combat is somehow substandard. :|
NG and DMC are also substandard in his mind, but God of War is the pinnacle of action games. There's a lot of people who think like this, sadly.

Zeliard

Decado said:
Personally I think the combat system is awesome and visceral...but the way you play through the levels doesn't really allow you to get used to it/take advantage of it (far too frequent boss fights and platforming section).

I think being able to replay chapters mitigates that. You can pretty much instantly go to battle verses since you can instantly skip cutscenes and generally traverse levels very quickly. After you have the panther and crow forms, platforming becomes a complete non-issue outside of the last couple chapters, since you can just outrun or fly over whatever.

Beezy said:
NG and DMC are also substandard in his mind, but God of War is the pinnacle of action games. There's a lot of people who think like this, sadly.

Meh. God of War is fucking awesome, if you're into it more for the spectacle than precision and razor sharp technique. I liked Bayonetta quite a bit, and I think it's because it sort of does both. I can tell that there is a ton of depth even if it's beyond me, but unlike other action games I've tried, it didn't feel borderline unplayable to me, and there was plenty of spectacle.

Honestly though, while I can see comparisons between DMC and Bayonetta, I don't think God of War and Bayonetta really even belong in the same genre. There seem to be far more differences than there are common threads. I guess there are the QTE finishers, but even those are very different from how God of War uses them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
God of War has a lot more in common with a game like Uncharted, I think. They are both super-directed, set-piece driven action games that employ similar action-break-action-puzzle/platforming-action structures.

I play God of War for a very different reason than I play Bayonetta. It is almost entirely about the scenario design, as opposed to the actual base-mechanics. They're merely a means to an ends.

Yeah, something like that. I'm not going to derail this further, it just sort of irks me that such wildly different games are so often directly compared when there are so few actual similarities. I like the combat of both games, it's just very different.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
They're really different yet always got compared last gen. Also doesn't help seeing people compare the game(gow3) to stuff like bayonetta and ninja gaiden on the graphical tech, that just makes people want to get into a spick over the gameplay.

Beezy

AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, something like that. I'm not going to derail this further, it just sort of irks me that such wildly different games are so often directly compared when there are so few actual similarities. I like the combat of both games, it's just very different.
Agreed. I don't think GoW is bad at all, I just think it's laughable to compare its combat to other action games.

border

People complain how sexist and exploitive Bayonetta is, but I felt more uncomfortable and embarrassed by the 20-minute Dante's Inferno demo than I did throughout the entirety of Bayonetta. I dunno if it's because Dante's Inferno actually shows tits, or because it shows them in a completely inappropriate context (CORPSE TITTIES!). Probably both.

Roto13

border said:
People complain how sexist and exploitive Bayonetta is, but I felt more uncomfortable and embarrassed by the 20-minute Dante's Inferno demo than I did throughout the entirety of Bayonetta. I dunno if it's because Dante's Inferno actually shows tits, or because it shows them in a completely inappropriate context (CORPSE TITTIES!). Probably both.
I think it's because 1) Bayonetta's sexuality is so over-the-top it's not even sexy, it's just hilarious. It's like the violence in MadWorld. It's not disturbing like someone really getting their heart ripped out through their chest would be. It's crazy and fun. And 2) the corpse tits in Dante's Inferno are in there to appeal to teenage boys. Possibly goth teens.

Curufinwe

I wonder if that xenophobic, Team Xbox douchebag will spend most of his Dante's Inferno review (and a lot of time on his podcast) wailing about how offensive Dante's Inferno is.

Since it doesn't fit with his hur-hur-Japanese-games-are-crazy shtick, I would guess not.

JEKKI

not sure if this has been posted yet... I cant seem to locate the search thread function...

but DJ B13 and a couple doods from SRK made a combo vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6siWz_VMESg

anyway I jus started playing this game over the weekend... tryin to get hi scores n stuff.

omg 360 version is so much better than PS3!!

no loading!! it's like I can play twice as much in the same amount of time!! lovin it!!

LiK

JEKKI said:
anyway I jus started playing this game over the weekend... tryin to get hi scores n stuff.

omg 360 version is so much better than PS3!!

no loading!! it's like I can play twice as much in the same amount of time!! lovin it!!

you got that right! going for the full 1000? ;)

Decado said:

That's the same way i feel playing through the game. You're fighting boss fights before you even get a good feel of the level. I'm used to playing games where you have to "complete" a level first before fighting off the level's boss. But in Bayonetta they kinda throw boss fights at you from all over the place. It feels a little bit weird.

But i have to agree with most people that the boss fights are mind-blowing. This shit is the stuff i dreamed of back in the arcade days. Seriously, it's like a dream come true if you love those giant-sized old-school arcade-style boss fights.

Alternate attires FTW. Something so simple adds so much while replaying chapters. The game always feels fresh with the amount of weapon, accessory, and attire combinations.

Aske

JEKKI said:
yyyyyeayy goin to dat 1000!!

1000 climax action!!

I nailed the last tricky one today - platinum medals for both missile verses on Chapter 14. I was determined not to use items or do it on anything below Normal difficulty so I could combine it with getting a platinum award for the chapter, to put towards unlocking Jeanne. At first I thought it would be near impossible, but the action is all scripted, so it just becomes a matter of learning the patterns. Second verse is the tough one, but it only took me a single session to finish up. Whoever posted that tip about tapping both fire buttons simultaneously - thank you. Double the Carpal Tunnel, but double the damage. The important thing is not to get hit. Time and combo scores will take care of themselves if you throw out a few missiles every now and again, and farm them up to unleash on the dragons and sub-bosses. My time was almost always a platinum, but my combo score was all over the place until I realised I needed to focus on throwing missiles as often as I could during WT. Even then I often got gold, so a Platinum for damage is imperative. I think three hits from the green laser-balls bumped me down to gold - I know I took two during the boss fight when I finally got the platinum.

Just need to play Infinite Climax for the final achievement. I want to really enjoy it without any inclination to rush or skip cutscenes, so I'm taking my time getting to it. But the gamerscore means so much less to me than unlocking all the secrets, and that hellish crow in the Hard Chapter 6 Alfheim still eludes me. I don't feel like I can do my Climax run until I've caught him. I still have a few more easy Hard mode crows to find, so I'll hunt them down next time I play; then it's back to that Alfheim.

Tokubetsu

You know what's awesome? Fighting 3 Gracious/Glorious in the middle of oncoming traffic and then forgetting about the QTE in the cutscene after. So awesome.

remz

Net_Wrecker said:
Alternate attires FTW. Something so simple adds so much while replaying chapters. The game always feels fresh with the amount of weapon, accessory, and attire combinations.
PE uniform all day baby

(ps I am not a pervert)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
border said:
Wow! Haha :lol awesome Madworld analogy there. I agree completely, we've never seen a game character like Bayonetta, and both herself and the game are purely a right good laugh.

I stumbled across a blog yesterday where a guy was getting all self-important and preachy, bashing publicity shots of Bayonetta always in the "shitting position"... it's like... I'd never really thought of it that way dude... get some help?

It's worrying how people love to try and destroy everything that is good, no matter how good, and by any means necessary.

Eyemus Lutt said:

Really? I'd argue that Bayonetta quite possibly has the single best controls in any game ever! Yes the controls are that good! So ridiculously responsive! Just perfect! <3

Monocle

Eyemus Lutt said:
You like combat-centric adventure games. You dislike stylish action games. Bayonetta is a stylish action game, and the fact that you see it as "trying to copy God of War" is a clear indication that you don't understand the genre. Why even bother to play Bayonetta when you're so plainly not a member of its target audience?

roxya

Monocle said:
You like combat-centric adventure games. You dislike stylish action games. Bayonetta is a stylish action game, and the fact that you see it as "trying to copy God of War" is a clear indication that you don't understand the genre. Why even bother to play Bayonetta when you're so plainly not a member of its target audience?

Probably because Bayonetta fans love going into "combat-centric adventure" games threads and telling everyone about how much better Bayonetta is.

goldenpp72

has anyone here beat lost chapters? Also what does the thing you earn by beating very easy even do? You can equip it to your leg..

eso76

37 hours and for some reason the game keeps getting better.
The combat is so fun i can't stop playing; one of the very few games in the last few years i play for pure fun instead of 'to see what happens next'.

Slashing through hordes of angels (which have been killing me repeatedly on my first run : \ ) in seconds and without being hit is like the most rewarding thing ever.

DenogginizerOS said:
So, I am a big fan of the Ninja Gaiden games, God of War games, I am NOT a Devil May Cry fan, and I am getting Dante's Inferno. Bayonetta appeals to me as far as the action, but the story elements and music seem extremely cheesy. Does the gameplay offer anything beyond what I have seen in NG and GoW?

Like you I love GoW and NG but hate DMC. And boy, how I hate Bayonetta. I just finished the game yesterday, and at least the normal mode is super boring. I can understand the appeal of the crazy story, but to me it was just weird with handful moment of "lol wtf".

Gameplay wise it's another shitty "stylish" game, which means that the enemies are cannon fodder who are waiting for you to trump them. They all fight the same, and the boss too are super boring and repetitive. The levels are extremely linear, it's just corridor after corridor after corridor.

The combat has no depth at all, if you're not into memorising 100000 combo that all do the same stuff and in the end, you just mash both action button mindlessly to see some crazy combo. And on top all these boring enemies you have an overpowered dodge move that cancels every imaginable attack and is super responsive. So if you like action games to make you their bitch and teach you how to play in THEIR way, you'll hate Bayonetta. I hated it though. I'm going to try it on hard soon, but from what I've read, it doesn't change much...

I guess it's a nice dancing game, but it's a terrible action game.

remz

RockmanWhore said:
Like you I love GoW and NG but hate DMC. And boy, how I hate Bayonetta. I just finished the game yesterday, and at least the normal mode is super boring. I can understand the appeal of the crazy story, but to me it was just weird with handful moment of "lol wtf".

Gameplay wise it's another shitty "stylish" game, which means that the enemies are cannon fodder who are waiting for you to trump them. They all fight the same, and the boss too are super boring and repetitive. The levels are extremely linear, it's just corridor after corridor after corridor.

The combat has no depth at all, if you're not into memorising 100000 combo that all do the same stuff and in the end, you just mash both action button mindlessly to see some crazy combo. And on top all these boring enemies you have an overpowered dodge move that cancels every imaginable attack and is super responsive. So if you like action games to make you their bitch and teach you how to play in THEIR way, you'll hate Bayonetta. I hated it though. I'm going to try it on hard soon, but from what I've read, it doesn't change much...

:lol

V_Arnold

RockmanWhore said:

nocyke.jpg

Dreavus

RockmanWhore said:

I would recommend going through hard/infinite climax if you believe the game to be too easy; the game throws "end-game" enemies at you from the very beginning, and are much more aggressive overall. As for your comments on it being "boring"... I'm sorry but I can't really help poor taste.:lol

RockmanWhore said:

I laughed more than I thought I would at this. Good show. :lol

Alx

I don't know what to think... I loved Bayonetta's character, but I'm not sure I would want a sequel with her. After all there's no way they can top what happened in this game,
fighting God and all, and Bayonetta herself is too involved in the plot
. But it's also what I've been thinking after each chapter, only to be proven wrong on the next one. :p
A spin-off would be a good idea. I'm not too fond of Jeanne's design (mainly due to her eyes makeup... yeah it's a stupid thing), but why not.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
border said:

I don't know what turns me on more. Titties or CORPSE TITTIES! I should really seek help. :(

Shito

Incitemaybe said:
Awesome, perhaps a spinoff could be interesting..........with some crazy co-op ;-)
No co-op, thank you, this genre is solo only!
Buuuuuuuuuuuut... what I'd love to see in the sequel would be on-the-fly character change. I want
Bayonetta and Jeanne to fight alongside each other, and I want a button to change between the two of them whenever I feel like, not interrupting my combo, à la tag battle in a fighting game. They'd each need a set of different weapons and characteristics, of course.

Majukun

Beezy said:

1259098850445.gif

RockmanWhore said:

shaq.gif

RockmanWhore said:

Man, I said somewhere how there is no such thing as a wrong opinion.

I guess I was wrong.

Top Bottom