• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
canova said:
good to know.

I downloaded both versions and compared.
- 360 version has much better graphic, but the controller feels awkward, the R1 button and the attack button are too close for comfort.
- PS3 version has washed-out color and not as sharp, though not nearly as bad as what others have described here. But the controller feels just perfect.

So I'm still debating which one to get

They don't let you remap, but the game also feels designed around the 360 controller. Just a tip, you don't need to lockon...ever. I actually had to think about what RB even did because I have yet to use it once and I'm technically on my 5th playthrough now.

So I started my Climax run. Fuck sake I don't ever remember the camera being so erratic during Verse 2 of act 1. The camera's going all over the place!

2San

canova said:
- 360 version has much better graphic, but the controller feels awkward, the R1 button and the attack button are too close for comfort.
Since no1 is phased by this. I'll ask. What?

It's not like you accidentally press the RB when you press Y and how is this different from the PS3 version? o____O

As mentioned before the lock on button is useless anyhow.

-PXG-

Just beat it on Normal. Holy shit, what a ride. Props to Kamiya, Platinum and SEGA. Now start working on the sequel. Just make sure it doesn't end up like DMC2.

Aske

2San said:
Since no1 is phased by this. I'll ask. What?

It's not like you accidentally press the RB when you press Y and how is this different from the PS3 version? o____O

As mentioned before the lock on button is useless anyhow.

I feel the same way about this - it's why I wish the RB lock-on was a toggle. Try holding RB, and then attack with the face buttons as normal during any fight. You'll find that playing this way is extremely uncomfortable. Something to do with the way RB is designed. Both the 360 pad and DS3 have their strengths and weaknesses, but holding down R1 while using the face buttons is extremely easy on the DS3.

And while you don't need RB to play Bayonetta (aside from the tiny handful of moves which can only be executed while RB is held), using the lock-on would alleviate many people's problems with the free camera during sections like the Jeanne's witch-walk boss fights. I can certainly live without lock-on but I'd prefer to use it when I play, and I'd have more versatile controls if I was playing with a DS3.

Mrbob

I just picked this one up a couple days ago, game is awesome.

I wanted to see if you could toggle lock on but from what I'm reading here you can't. I'm not good at hitting the right bumper and Y button together very well together, but oh well. I don't really need it that much anyway.

-PXG- said:
Just beat it on Normal. Holy shit, what a ride. Props to Kamiya, Platinum and SEGA. Now start working on the sequel. Just make sure it doesn't end up like DMC2.

Well Kamiya never touched DMC2, so yeah....

vermadas

Honestly, the 360 controls should have swapped the functions of RB and LT. I hardly ever change weapons mid-fight, and even if I did, it functions as a button press and it's never necessary to hold the button like you might want to with the lock on.

In terms of the functions on top of the controller, I would prioritize them like so:

1. Dodge
2. Lock on
3. Taunt
4. Weapon change

The top two functions should use the triggers and the bottom two should use the bumpers. I hardly ever use the techniques that require RB because my index finger needs to be resting on the trigger so I can perform a dodge without delay.

Beezy

1. Dodge
2. Weapon change
3. Taunt
4. Lock on

That's how it is for me. I've never had to lock on in this game and I always target who I want.

Mrbob

Yeah the only time I feel to the to hit RB is when I want to do a Stilleto. Is there a newgame+ with this title? I notice you can chapter select ( I think I'm on chapter 10 right now) and replay levels, which I'll do with my new items. Can I do this after I finish the game as well or do I have to do it beforehand? I figure once I move up in difficulty I'll have to start over with all my weapons and accessories.

I have to give some props to the voice acting too. The story is absurd and over the top (as it should be in this type of game), but the voice acting is overall very solid. Especially the voice actress for Bayonetta. Delivery is so good on all her lines.

Dave1988

Guess what SEGA is doing with all that money they made off of selling Brokenetta? Working on a patch? No. Apparently they have nothing better to spend it on than on having their lawyers take down a certain video wherever it may pop up. This video supposedly "infringes on SEGA's copyrights" :lol :lol :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, they should totally have their legal team patch the game

why you waste money on legal department foolz

but no serious you sick burned them dawg

Roto13

Mrbob said:
Yeah the only time I feel to the to hit RB is when I want to do a Stilleto. Is there a newgame+ with this title? I notice you can chapter select ( I think I'm on chapter 10 right now) and replay levels, which I'll do with my new items. Can I do this after I finish the game as well or do I have to do it beforehand? I figure once I move up in difficulty I'll have to start over with all my weapons and accessories.

I have to give some props to the voice acting too. The story is absurd and over the top (as it should be in this type of game), but the voice acting is overall very solid. Especially the voice actress for Bayonetta. Delivery is so good on all her lines.
Once you finish the last level, it starts you back on the Prologue on the next highest difficulty, but all of the levels and weapons and things remain unlocked. It's exactly the same as it is before you finish except there's an option to look at your awards for each level.

Dave1988

Rez said:
yeah, they should totally have their legal team patch the game

why you waste money on legal department foolz

but no serious you sick burned them dawg

That's a great idea, dawg! Seeing how the port turned out, they'd probably do a better job than the monkeys assigned to the job in the first place.

:)

LiK

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
So, I am a big fan of the Ninja Gaiden games, God of War games, I am NOT a Devil May Cry fan, and I am getting Dante's Inferno. Bayonetta appeals to me as far as the action, but the story elements and music seem extremely cheesy. Does the gameplay offer anything beyond what I have seen in NG and GoW?

XenoRaven

DenogginizerOS said:
So, I am a big fan of the Ninja Gaiden games, God of War games, I am NOT a Devil May Cry fan, and I am getting Dante's Inferno. Bayonetta appeals to me as far as the action, but the story elements and music seem extremely cheesy. Does the gameplay offer anything beyond what I have seen in NG and GoW?
I'm not sure how to approach this...>_>

NIN90

DenogginizerOS said:

Yes and their is a demo available that represents the game very well.

If you lock on you can dodge with direction+jump, DMC style, and you can get spammy without turning into panther form. Makes it hard, though not impossible, to dodge-offset though.

I don't use it, or lock-on much at all, but I can see the appeal.

Aske

CcrooK said:
So someone explain to me why this game has the obsession with "Fly me to the Moon" all over with the music?

Bayonetta is an Umbra Witch. Umbra Witches take their power from the moon.

Edit: But LiK has a point - the epilogue makes everything even more literal.

LiK

CcrooK said:
I did but still just not connecting the dots.

when Bayonetta returns Cereza to the past, she sings the song to her young self which she originally thought was from her mother.
i don't think the song means much more than that.

Aske

Oh - you meant a different story related thing : )

Still, the moon and the Umbra is a recurrent theme throughout the game.

LiK

Aske said:
Oh - you meant a different story related thing : )

Still, the moon and the Umbra is a recurrent theme throughout the game.

i think you make a good point too. the song does actually have a point to the overall story, even if they used it too much.

Zeliard

canova said:

:lol

Maybe if you have the hands of a gorilla.

So yeah, dodge offset ? Totally not getting the hang of it.

e.g. you're supposed to P - K(hold) - dodge - release dodge/release K - P ? What's the time frame for resuming the combo ? I seem to systematically begin a new combo after the dodge. Any pointer to train properly?

NIN90

BaronLundi said:
So yeah, dodge offset ? Totally not getting the hang of it.

e.g. you're supposed to P - K(hold) - dodge - release dodge/release K - P ? What's the time frame for resuming the combo ? I seem to systematically begin a new combo after the dodge. Any pointer to train properly?

Do the Alfheims where you can only hurt enemies with wicked weave attack. And yes, the timing can be a bit tricky. Just try it with PKP over and over.

It's done like this: press P - hold K and press DODGE during the animation - press P when the dodge animation ends (tricky timing here but you'll get the hang of it)

Zeliard

NIN90 said:
Do the Alfheims where you can only hurt enemies with wicked weave attack. And yes, the timing can be a bit tricky. Just try it with PKP over and over.

I learned it with the most basic kick combo, basically. Hold K, dodge, hit and hold K, dodge, etc. I used the Kilgores and just held down till she fired off a rocket so I could take it slowly (though it certainly isn't necessary to hold it down that long). That's how I ultimately learned the timing and the fairly unorthodox control. Once you get the timing down you can easily apply dodge offset to any combo you do. It's amazing when it clicks, because it clicks to such an extent that you surprise yourself at how easily and naturally you start to pull it off.

Also, it's probably been noted before but you can dodge up to four times and still keep the combo, and you can also run around in panther form in the middle of a combo and it won't break it.

Foffy

Banned
I just beat the game on the 360, and I'm almost at a loss of words about the game.

It's really that magnificent. I haven't had this much fun with an action game since the original Devil May Cry. I may prefer the combat of something like Ninja Gaiden over this, but Bayonetta is a hack and slash game done with near perfect pacing.

My only gripes are with the story and anything that involved controlling motorcycles. Hopefully Bayonetta turns into a series and not a standalone game, because this clearly seems to have picked up all of that lost momentum that deflated the Devil May Cry series for me.

Minamu

Dabookerman said:
So I started my Climax run. Fuck sake I don't ever remember the camera being so erratic during Verse 2 of act 1. The camera's going all over the place!
You mean in the prologue where you need to get like 7 tortures? That verse was so freaking shitty on Hard. Mainly because I refused to remove my ice skates but still. Try it :D I basically stood in a corner on Hard & spammed Taunt to get MP... And used that 2 free MP orbs accessory. Helped a lot.

Zertez

Minamu said:
You mean in the prologue where you need to get like 7 tortures? That verse was so freaking shitty on Hard. Mainly because I refused to remove my ice skates but still. Try it :D I basically stood in a corner on Hard & spammed Taunt to get MP... And used that 2 free MP orbs accessory. Helped a lot.
I almost never take off the ice skates. It took some getting use to but now everything seems like slow motion without them.

Minamu

Zertez said:
I almost never take off the ice skates. It took some getting use to but now everything seems like slow motion without them.
Yeah I like them too. Dunno why I never bothered with testing until very recently. I just don't like animation going from standing still to moving in random direction. Something is off with that making it hard to reach those witch statues & the cannons in chapter 15. Other than that, very nice stuff.

So I've been playing this game for a while now, and I just don't get the love for this game. The combat is just not fun and the movement doesn't feel right and it's way too similar to DMC and Ninja Gaiden which are game's I just don't have any fun with. I prefer the more slower combat games like God of War and tried the Dante's Inferno Demo which seems better suited to the combat I like, and I even enjoyed the Darksiders combat a lot more than Bayonetta, but I guess because it's trying to copy God of War.
I guess I've been disappointed by Platinum games this gen with both games being totally underwhelming, after I enjoyed their previous efforts on last gen systems.

NIN90

Eyemus Lutt said:
So I've been playing this game for a while now, and I just don't get the love for this game. The combat is just not fun and the movement doesn't feel right and it's way too similar to DMC and Ninja Gaiden which are game's I just don't have any fun with. I prefer the more slower combat games like God of War and tried the Dante's Inferno Demo which seems better suited to the combat I like, and I even enjoyed the Darksiders combat a lot more than Bayonetta, but I guess because it's trying to copy God of War.
I guess I've been disappointed by Platinum games this gen with both games being totally underwhelming, after I enjoyed their previous efforts on last gen systems.

O_O

The combat in Bayonetta is too good? That's what I'm reading into this.

nevernow said:
Here comes my lame first post ever on GAF:

you can't release a game in 2010 which doesn't allow button remapping.

i don't mind if the controls are good. played fine with the DS3, so i never had a wish to change the mapping.

Top Bottom