• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Trickster

PARANO1A said:
Hrmm, what difficultly are people playing on their first play-through? I ended up going "easy" after doing the first four chapters on Normal. I just kept dying and thought maybe it was not designed for a normal run at first without people needing a masochistic streak :/

I played on normal my first time through the game, was a bit hard a first, but once you get the hang of the dodging and find the weapons that works for you, it became easier.

I would love more Bayonetta, but that's not really confirmation of a sequel or anything. It's just Kamiya saying "yeah, doing a Bayonetta sequel could be cool" but it's not like it's planned yet.

Trickster said:
I played on normal my first time through the game, was a bit hard a first, but once you get the hang of the dodging and find the weapons that works for you, it became easier.

I've actually started to integrate every weapon I have into my current level runs. Especially when trying to PP Alfheims.

The only thing I suck at is equipping Kilgore to hands.

GRACIOUS AND GLORIOUS CAN ROT IN A PIT!

Cotdammit, what the WHAT, man. These two are a PAIN in the ASSSSSSS. I die due to them more than anything else in the game.

Net_Wrecker said:

Cotdammit, what the WHAT, man. These two are a PAIN in the ASSSSSSS. I die due to them more than anything else in the game.

I actually sucked at fighting regular old Grace and Glory at first.

But once I faced my first Gracious and Glorious encounter I was able to do it without taking damage at all.

Net_Wrecker said:

seriously. I hate those 2 with a passion. It's taking me forever to beat this, I suck at action games :(

Fimbulvetr said:
I actually sucked at fighting regular old Grace and Glory at first.

But once I faced my first Gracious and Glorious encounter I was able to do it without taking damage at all.

I liked fighting Grace and Glory but Hard difficulty is infatuated with Gracious and Glorious, and man I HATTE THEMMMM.:lol

tirminyl

Net_Wrecker said:

Those are the cat-like things right? I kept dying in one section after you cross a bridge. For some reason that section was just insanely hard. It was harder than the boss fights I encountered. After you beat the first wave, there is a second. So I cheated and started the chapter on easy and changed back to normal once I finished. :lol

Giolon

Woot! just unlocked the gunchucks halfway through my Hard difficulty run. They're more ridiculous than I imagined lol :lol

LiK

Net_Wrecker said:
I liked fighting Grace and Glory but Hard difficulty is infatuated with Gracious and Glorious, and man I HATTE THEMMMM.:lol

ohhh, they're so much more fun in Infinite Climax mode ;)

Minamu

I had a really hard time with the Grace & Glory fights on my first playthrough (especially in tight spaces). Now, they are my favorite encounters by far :lol Gracious & Glorious can still be a pain, especially on anything above Normal, but they are still very manageable. Just hang in there :D Personally, I feel that most encounters lose some of their difficulty if you don't care about taking damage & getting low combo scores. If you play for a more casual kind of fun, most enemies are ridiculously easy to beat.

I really hate Kinships. They are such a pain to deal with on NSC - Gracious and Glorious don't even come close.

I love the amount of content in this game. I'm simultaneously going for Platinums (up through chapter 9), all Alfheims, 100 chapters, and ten million halos - and this is all after I've beaten the game on the other difficulties. And there's still things left to do after that. I wish more action games had this much to do.

Rezbit

I am just not enjoying this game very much. I am playing on normal, and I seem to get hit/die a LOT. Maybe I'm just not used to the speed. I know the whole thing is the combat is supposed to be fluid and intuitive, but it doesn't seem that way to me? Especially when random enemy X that you can see shoots some little fucking pea thing at you and it breaks up any combo you might have. I dunno, maybe I should just be a dolt and put it on easy? Might make it seem "smoother."

Other than that it is quite cheesy and hilarious. Good to play a game that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Please note, I could just be shit at this game, as I don't have much experience in the action combat genre or whatever it's called.

goldenpp72

Rezbit said:
I am just not enjoying this game very much. I am playing on normal, and I seem to get hit/die a LOT. Maybe I'm just not used to the speed. I know the whole thing is the combat is supposed to be fluid and intuitive, but it doesn't seem that way to me? Especially when random enemy X that you can see shoots some little fucking pea thing at you and it breaks up any combo you might have. I dunno, maybe I should just be a dolt and put it on easy? Might make it seem "smoother."

Other than that it is quite cheesy and hilarious. Good to play a game that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Please note, I could just be shit at this game, as I don't have much experience in the action combat genre or whatever it's called.

Do any enemies even have projectiles that don't have big charge up times?

I actually found it too easy even on infinite climax, unless you care about rank.

Rezbit said:

Put your volume up and listen for the attack "sound" that accompanies the gold sparkle right before an attack. Dodge and go to town.

Rezbit said:

If you hold the button you're attacking with as you dodge you will be able to maintain your combo while dodging and be able to continue it when the dodge animation is over.

Practice it a bit when there are no enemies around.

If you're playing on Normal, enemies don't attack you from offscreen.

Maybe you aren't seeing them because you're focused on something else, but if a horn player shot at you, he started the attack when he's onscreen.

goldenpp72

ShockingAlberto said:
If you're playing on Normal, enemies don't attack you from offscreen.

Maybe you aren't seeing them because you're focused on something else, but if a horn player shot at you, he started the attack when he's onscreen.

but aside that, doesn't it always have an obvious cue? I hear the horn every time the little guy is gonna fire, and for enemies like the big cat things or the kinships, well, there are usually only 2 or 3 on screen..

One of the best things about bayonetta for me is being able to know im being shot at, unlike ng2.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm kind of surprised I'm not really loving the Jeanne fights on hard+. She relies on instant weaves way too much, not to mention it becomes nearly impossible to combo her since she just breaks out of it and backs off.

LiK

Papercuts said:
I'm kind of surprised I'm not really loving the Jeanne fights on hard+. She relies on instant weaves way too much, not to mention it becomes nearly impossible to combo her since she just breaks out of it and backs off.

more weave attacks from her = more witch time. she's actually easier to fight on Hard. try fighting her in Climax mode :(

Papercuts

LiK said:
more weave attacks from her = more witch time. she's actually easier to fight on Hard. try fighting her in Climax mode :(

That's what hard+ meant. :p

I did the wall running one on Climax last night and it was just more annoying than anything else. Doesn't help that she blatantly avoids damage from the rosary's explosion whenever she feels like it.

LiK

Papercuts said:

I did the wall running one on Climax last night and it was just more annoying than anything else. Doesn't help that she blatantly avoids damage from the rosary's explosion whenever she feels like it.

ohh ok. yea. which Jeanne fight you at? she's easy except for the final one.

Papercuts said:

The best way to make her take Rosary damage is to dodge her knee drop attack.

The first fight is, to me, one of the hardest because you can't use the sword or the Kilgore.

Papercuts

LiK said:
ohh ok. yea. which Jeanne fight you at? she's easy except for the final one.

I've only done the first one, but I've just been kinda jumping around and might do chapter 14 next anyway. It wasn't really hard as much as it was tedious, since you barely get an opening and when you do she can just go "lol no" and stop you. The only reason it ended in a semi-timely manner was that punch mashing thing she started which takes off a good half of a life bar.

ShockingAlberto said:

The first fight is, to me, one of the hardest because you can't use the sword or the Kilgore.

Yeah, good point about the weapons. That random flash back fight against Fortitudo on chapter 1 took FOREVER on Climax because you can't do anything but shoot for 99% of it.

LiK

Papercuts said:
I've only done the first one, but I've just been kinda jumping around and might do chapter 14 next anyway. It wasn't really hard as much as it was tedious, since you barely get an opening and when you do she can just go "lol no" and stop you. The only reason it ended in a semi-timely manner was that punch mashing thing she started which takes off a good half of a life bar.

yea, she parries against pretty much against any combo. i mainly did a lot of hit and runs. takes a while. i also use the red candy even if it meant lowering my score.

ShockingAlberto said:

first fight was really easy, imo. you dont have the weapons but you have your weave attacks. takes off a ton of dmg.

goldenpp72

Papercuts said:

Yeah, good point about the weapons. That random flash back fight against Fortitudo on chapter 1 took FOREVER on Climax because you can't do anything but shoot for 99% of it.

nah, you can beat that fight in about 5 seconds, use the 200k bangle things (moon?) to deflect his fireballs back on top of shooting him, I pure plat every time :)

Papercuts said:
Yeah, I kept trying to line up to his bites so I could try and use the rosary on him. It worked, like, once.

goldenpp72

ShockingAlberto said:
Yeah, I kept trying to line up to his bites so I could try and use the rosary on him. It worked, like, once.

Read above, he's the easiest fight in this game imo, only one I can sure fire pure plat every time :D

Papercuts

goldenpp72 said:
nah, you can beat that fight in about 5 seconds, use the 200k bangle things (moon?) to deflect his fireballs back on top of shooting him, I pure plat every time :)

Ohhh. I never thought about that, lol. Even though I took forever shooting him it still gave me a plat in time, so I managed to PP it regardless. Also kinda sucks that you can't swap the inventory when you're in those past segments, else I would just abuse the bangle of time on Jeanne.

goldenpp72

Papercuts said:
Ohhh. I never thought about that, lol. Even though I took forever shooting him it still gave me a plat in time, so I managed to PP it regardless. Also kinda sucks that you can't swap the inventory when you're in those past segments, else I would just abuse the bangle of time on Jeanne.

I believe the bangles stay in the flashback segments if they were already equipped, so just equip them in a diff chapter?

All I know is, the moon bangle works brilliantly against that dragon asshole, just tap X and when he shoots a fireball, deflect, bam.

But being able to swap them would be nice.

LiK

goldenpp72 said:
I believe the bangles stay in the flashback segments if they were already equipped, so just equip them in a diff chapter?

All I know is, the moon bangle works brilliantly against that dragon asshole, just tap X and when he shoots a fireball, deflect, bam.

X? you mean press the left stick? i rarely used it against projectiles.

I found that just constantly harassing Jeanne while trying to parry her moves, and dodging selectively was more effective than dodging everything.

goldenpp72

LiK said:
X? you mean press the left stick? i rarely used it against projectiles.

Yeah, I mean tap X to fire your guns and then just hit the L stick to knock back the fireballs. The frame time to do it seems very large, never missed any.

LiK

goldenpp72 said:
Yeah, I mean tap X to fire your guns and then just hit the L stick to knock back the fireballs. The frame time to do it seems very large, never missed any.

ah, i see.

Papercuts

goldenpp72 said:

The stuff stays equipped, yeah, but for something like the Jeanne fight it happens at the chapter start before I get a chance, and I always forget to change ahead of time.

Giolon

Well, I just beat it on Hard and put in for the Penny-Arcade T-shirt since they said they were still taking applications earlier today. I've got my finger's crossed! Now to test out Bazillions!

Rezbit

Fimbulvetr said:
If you hold the button you're attacking with as you dodge you will be able to maintain your combo while dodging and be able to continue it when the dodge animation is over.

Practice it a bit when there are no enemies around.

:lol Hah...I feel dumb, derp derp. This helped heaps! Thanks, man!

Tokubetsu

Am I just not supposed to be able to get these birds or something? Quite a few of them later in the game fly away too fast =|

Side Note: I can't believe I accidentally bought that shit taunt to regain health accessory early on when the moon of makhkahkda;d is so god damn AWESOME. I think I'm ready for Glorious and Gracious now.

goldenpp72

Tokubetsu said:
Am I just not supposed to be able to get these birds or something? Quite a few of them later in the game fly away too fast =|

Side Note: I can't believe I accidentally bought that shit taunt to regain health accessory when the moon of makhkahkda;d is so god damn AWESOME. I think I'm reade for Glorious and Gracious now.

That taunt to regain health thing is very helpful in the lost chapter, especially if you do the hold LB taunt vs the tap as it keeps it going.

And yeah you can get all the birds with the wolf form minus maybe 1 or 2 that need the bird I think, but if you really suck, use the time bracelet to witch time em, I think it works.

LiK

TreIII said:
Maybe this means the "Umbra Fighter" concept that Kamiya seemed to REALLY have a good love jones for will actually become a reality. :D

DO IT, KAMIYA.

Rodin in a God Hand spiritual sequel...
where we see what he does when he gets the weapons for Bayonetta

Dreavus

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I really hate Kinships. They are such a pain to deal with on NSC - Gracious and Glorious don't even come close.

I love the amount of content in this game. I'm simultaneously going for Platinums (up through chapter 9), all Alfheims, 100 chapters, and ten million halos - and this is all after I've beaten the game on the other difficulties. And there's still things left to do after that. I wish more action games had this much to do.

Reading this just made me realize;

They're called Kinships. Oh god. :lol

Giolon

UnblessedSoul said:
Is this game worth getting for the ps3? I heard it had technical problems, does that interfere with the game at all ?

This question is answered on nearly every page. But once more:

If your choice is between no Bayonetta and Bayonetta on PS3, get it for PS3. Just be prepared for an inconsistent framerate and egregious load times.

If your choice is between Bayonetta on PS3 and 360, get it on 360 hands down.

Dreavus

Giolon said:
This question is answered on nearly every page. But once more:

If your choice is between no Bayonetta and Bayonetta on PS3, get it for PS3. Just be prepared for an inconsistent framerate and egregious load times.

If your choice is between Bayonetta on PS3 and 360, get it on 360 hands down.

As much as I enjoy the minimalist OP, I think SOMETHING to this effect should be added for future questions like this. "Should I get the PS3 version?" gets asked so often that it'd be nice for people to be able to see it when they enter the first page of the thread.

Is that so much to ask, Rez? ;)

zoukka

Played a few hours on PS3. The game is amazing, though a bit on the easy side. The technical side of it... well one of the worst games I've seen this gen. Loading screens in options and while picking up items ftw.

If I would be as enthusiast as I was a few years ago, I would've bought an XO just for this game. I won't buy another SEGA published game ever.

twenty1

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
lol...Vulgar. I'm glad I don't think like you. Bayonetta is such a fun character. Alyx Vance is great, but there is enough space for everybody. I really don't see what the big deal is here.

Over the top game is over the top. OMG surprise.

Agreed!!!!........some of these "gamers" are not so "hardcore" as they say!!!

Honestly I find the PS3 framerate is more than acceptable, although I haven't played the 360 version to really compare. What annoys the shit out of me really is the long load times between levels/game overs and the Gates of Hell, and the loading times between in-game menu tabs. I know this had been said to death but really, its 20 fucking 10, I don't care if it was or wasn't Sega's fault but a port like this is no excuse these days...all it needs really is an install to HDD option (the PS3 demo has none of the loading issues for this reason)

In any case...Bayonetta is fortunately such a good game that these load times are, most times, easy to overlook for the sake of enjoying the game. (and I die a lot, so I see the load screen often :lol )yes like Dreavus said, if your only choice for Bayonetta is the PS3 version, by all means it is still worth your time. I was never even a fan of the DMC games and I'm having a blast with this.

Top Bottom