• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Duress

So is there a cap on the amount of items you can have? I have 25 big green lollipops and have been wondering about this.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Some people had trouble on Hard mode? I blew through it in about 6 hours with maybe only 1-2 deaths per chapter. Having to deal with Gracious and Glorious more was slightly annoying but that wasn't something an Evil Heart Rosary couldn't fix.

woah there tough guy!

between the scoreboard kilgore maniacs and the untrusted pure platinums with reloading, the mystique of the game slipped a bit for me.

i doubt we'd see it, but it'd be nice if they could wipe and fix the scoring system to make it enforce more variation

zoukka

God... at... these... loading.... times....

PS3 version suckage aside, it's not a perfect game by any means. There are still those annoying platformer sections. The QTE:s are really fucking stupid. The bosses are super HP punching bags ala DMC. And the enemies don't differ from the usual DMC cast. And they look fucking stupid.

Gameplay is fun, music rocks and the story is entertaining. Still wouldn't pay a penny for the PS3 version. You stare at the fucking loading screen more than you play the damn game :lol

eso76

Papercuts said:
Yeah, good point about the weapons. That random flash back fight against Fortitudo on chapter 1 took FOREVER on Climax because you can't do anything but shoot for 99% of it.

i don't know about climax yet, but on hard, sending all fireballs back to it with the parry move takes care of the fight in about 10 seconds :)

Finally the game arrived yesterday, so I after all those days, I was able to put my hands on Bayonetta, absolutly stunning, beatiful game that plays wonderfully, even the few plataforming bits aren't annoyingly bad, like in most action games.

And holy fuck to some of the boss battles, that's how you do visually epic boss battles that are actually fun to play....

JEKKI

arrrgh!! getting all platinums is hard!!

question!! to get the all plat verses unlock, do you have to beat each stage with a full set of plats in your total??

for example, let's say I beat a stage with Verse X stone ranked... can I go back into that stage and rush my way thru all the Verses until I get to X, plat it, then finish the stage?? Will that count towards my total??

One of my fav games this gen but I can see why people can be annoyed at fighting the same bosses so many times. I never liked having rematches with bosses in games. Not as bad as an offender as DMC4, but it still throws some watered down version at you.

Tokubetsu

ZealousD said:
Some people had trouble on Hard mode? I blew through it in about 6 hours with maybe only 1-2 deaths per chapter. Having to deal with Gracious and Glorious more was slightly annoying but that wasn't something an Evil Heart Rosary couldn't fix.

IF you can beat normal, there's really nothing to worry about on hard besides Gracious and Glorious.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
zoukka said:
PS3 version suckage aside, it's not a perfect game by any means. There are still those annoying platformer sections. The QTE:s are really fucking stupid. The bosses are super HP punching bags ala DMC. And the enemies don't differ from the usual DMC cast. And they look fucking stupid.
Platforming segments need to be wiped out of this genre.

Developers, seriously, this shit is not cool.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Seriously, WTF is with chapter 8? I got a gold overall on Infinte Climax, but christ.

Verse 3 - I got a plat. Yay. But I just can't do that on Verse 4, I always get a stone in combo. There's nothing in the level you CAN combo, I just hold down fire as per usual.

border

I picked up a copy of the game today and the EBGames clerk mentioned that the strategy guide had been completely cancelled -- wtf? They make strategy guides for far more niche games than this.

Any chance of the strategy guide being published in the US? Future-Press's website mentions a European release in the next week, but nothing about anything here in the states. Amazon still seems to think that it is coming out.

Tokubetsu

border said:
I picked up a copy of the game today and the EBGames clerk mentioned that the strategy guide had been completely cancelled -- wtf? They make strategy guides for far more niche games than this.

Any chance of the strategy guide being published in the US? Future-Press's website mentions a European release in the next week, but nothing about anything here in the states. Amazon still seems to think that it is coming out.

Sad news if true. Wanted to get it if only to have some memorabilia.

goldenpp72

Chamber said:
Platforming segments need to be wiped out of this genre.

Developers, seriously, this shit is not cool.

fully disagree, bayonetta has some of the most responsive platforming controls in an action game ever, and I found them enjoyable unlike some in ninja gaiden.

Poyunch

Grr I just skipped out on a chance to play the game because I was feeling exhausted due to a busy week. Did I make the wrong choice?

goldenpp72 said:
fully disagree, bayonetta has some of the most responsive platforming controls in an action game ever, and I found them enjoyable unlike some in ninja gaiden.

This.Plataforming sections in Ninja Gaiden were just frustrating most of the times, in Bayonnetta they're not perfect but the controls are responsive and precise enough.

PounchEnvy said:
Grr I just skipped out on a chance to play the game because I was feeling exhausted due to a busy week. Did I make the wrong choice?

no because this game has so much content for you to explore...feeling exhausted might leave you a bad taste for the game.

border

Tokubetsu said:
Sad news if true. Wanted to get it if only to have some memorabilia.
If they still publish it in Europe I suppose it won't be that hard to get a copy (just expensive) of the strategy guide.

It just seems weird that they dropped the ball so hard with this one.

Poyunch

BeautifulMemory said:
no because this game has so much content for you to explore...feeling exhausted might leave you a bad taste for the game.
Lol that's what I was thinking. I was bit worried since my friend rented it so that I could basically play it but I didn't feel like commuting to his place and playing it. Apparently he's okay with it so it's all good.

I liked the platforming segments because figuring out how to skip them in speedruns was fun.

The first time I figured out I could just jump past that one bridge that disappears and save like a minute and a half was great.

jodosutari

Neo Member
Wow! I recently bought a 360 mainly for this game and so far it has been amazing and totally worth it (Normal done, tackling platinums now)! It's just so fun to play, I'm at work now but can't wait to get home and play some more!!

Cetra

ShockingAlberto said:
I liked the platforming segments because figuring out how to skip them in speedruns was fun.

The first time I figured out I could just jump past that one bridge that disappears and save like a minute and a half was great.

You're speaking of
the bridge that gets demolished and you use the time reversal hourglass thing-a-ma-bob to rebuild it?
If so I totally have to try that when I get home from work, 'cause that's just awesome.

tehWillis said:
You're speaking of
the bridge that gets demolished and you use the time reversal hourglass thing-a-ma-bob to rebuild it?
If so I totally have to try that when I get home from work, 'cause that's just awesome.
Not that one, though now I kind of want to see if I could make that

I'm referring to the one in
Chapter II or III where you have to hit a witch door until it becomes a bridge and witch time to run across it or it disappears. You can just panther jump across the ditch or use Crow mode.

Aske

ShockingAlberto said:

You can. It's tough, but it's possible to avoid the lava and make the jump. Awesome for the speed run because you can completely skip the whole Paradiso section.

Giolon

Just beat Non-stop Climax mode for my last achievement. Bayonetta holds the honor of being the first game ever that I have gotten 1000/1000 on.

Now it's time to go try out Pillow Talk and try to plat all of normal so I can play with
Jeanne!

mfalcao2k1

Neo Member
Finished it yesterday amazing game from start to finish, now is the time to start perfecting my skills

I really liked the platforming, its not that hard.

And the QTE were the thing i was fearing the most in bayonetta but they are quite forgiving and to some degree logical, not like games like Sonic Unleashed were they are totally random and make absolutely no sense

Finished the game last week after buying into the hype and damn am I glad I did. Have to agree with the majority here and say its without a doubt my favorite action game of this generation. Now to go give Hard difficulty a whirl!

Danneee

Just finished it and all I have to say is: awesome, awesome game. Story and character design is not my cup of tea but the gameplay is fantastic!

Papercuts

Woo, got a plat on the chapter 11 boss on nonstop climax. Got 1000/1000 now but I think I need to take a break for a bit.

Minamu

I just got my 1000/1000! :D Took almost 50 hours. I still haven't been able to get past verse 2 of the lost chapter nor have I even unlocked the secret boss so I'm not ready to put this down yet. Need to run through easy as well to get that accessory. So much stuff to do! GOTY candidate for 2010 for sure.

I love the Pillow Talk. Damn good reward for beating Climax.

This is one of the ONLY singleplayer games I've EVER played where I've immediately gone back for a second playthrough on a higher difficulty, finished that, and am STILL playing to unlock stuff, and am still not bored after 30 hours. MMmmmm I love it.

PARANO1A

Trickster said:
I played on normal my first time through the game, was a bit hard a first, but once you get the hang of the dodging and find the weapons that works for you, it became easier.

Hrmm and are there any suggestions for best/easiest weapons? I'm up to chapter 10 now on my first run through and I'm still sticking with Scarborough Fair. The only others I've picked up are Ebony and Ivory, a katana, a whip, and one that looks like a claw. I just find it a bit hectic to try and learn a new moveset while advancing in the game.

Edit: if it's not already obvious I really suck at games like this so be gentle please.

PounchEnvy said:
Lol that's what I was thinking. I was bit worried since my friend rented it so that I could basically play it but I didn't feel like commuting to his place and playing it. Apparently he's okay with it so it's all good.

yeah this game just has so much depth in content and style...it's been mentioned already, which is that when the game is "finished" during the first play through we are really only around 30 to 40%, if not lower, of the total package.

There are tons of challenges, hidden items, hidden characters/bosses, weapons, costumes, and so on. Most, if not all, of these require a complete re-thinking of how you approach the game.

And again, even with all that, there is still the combat system to be learned and mastered.

If you do get to play it, just keep that in mind and enjoy for what it is in the context of your time allowed.

Rezbit

Wow...what a terrible idea this missile level is. The last thing I want to do in a game with this combat is play a shitty shooting level. Fuck?

Ive had no problem with the platforming sections in the game and find them fun....also Crow form.

I read a few posts above that someone was talking about the different weapons they are acquiring on their first run through and I find that odd as all I've found throughout my nearly complete first run has been the Sword, Durgas, and Shotguns. Everything else is a temporary weapon dropped from various enemies.

Is there hope I get to play as long as I want with a host of other weapons at some point?

Papercuts

Oh yeah, I had a lot of gripes that never really bothered me until I started going through Infinite Climax.

1. First off, what the FUCK is with the deflection shit? Nearly every encounter throws stuff at you that can do this. Gracious and glorious -- But atleast with them you can combo them in the back, assuming you can even hit them there that is. But then there's Fearless and Fairness that pull the same shit, not to mention I find them more difficult anyway. Ardor...fuck you, just fuck you. On top of all of this, they put in a lot of flaming versions of enemies to make it even more tedious, which without witch time I don't know what you were meant to do. Whip them constantly? Okay, but the whip gives you shitty combo scores. Same with relying on the rosary's explosion, which is what I usually did. I put on the bracelet of time at times where I was bursting with magic, but then getting hit for a good 75% combo from gracious because I took off the moon of magaa-kalaa made me not want to ever do that again.

2. Jeanne. What the hell. I loved her encounters on Normal, but on Hard and IC they make her downright unfun. She seems to do a total of 5-6 things. She does a kick slide into that spinning upside down multi kick. If she misses she does a drop kick/burning kick down. That seemed like the time to strike, dodge it(and have her get hit by the rosary) and combo. Oh, of course not, she does the bullshit "lol nope" combo ender then backs off. Awesome. She then usually hangs back for instant weave attacks at you, but either way it's a slow burn to damage her until she starts the mashy attacks. I felt like I was doing something wrong but she just does whatever she wants. I build dodge offsets combing the air and hold them to unleash an instant weave on her, she dodges and takes no damage. At one point I even tried to combo air into the kilgore glitch, she completely avoided a single point of damage from the entire attack. Awesome. Even after the drop kick I dodge, she would completely avoid the explosion's damage if she felt like it.

3 This is not nearly as severe as the other 2 and is more of a general complaint I have with the whole game, but getting instant killed on that chapter 5 bridge because the camera freaks out, or messing up that ending planet segment and getting a death for it is bullshit.

I love the core gameplay but tons of shit in IC just annoyed me, even if I did fine rank-wise, it never felt all that enjoyable. There's still some other stuff that annoys me that I didn't mention but 1 and 2 just pissed me off during the run. I got Pillow Talk now and the game gives me shitty combo scores all the time for utilizing the power up...yeah, indirect penalty for using it? K, I won't use it then. I can see it being helpful on the lost chapter and the secret boss, but meh otherwise.

I really hope someone can help with the deflection stuff, I really didn't see a way past it and that coupled with the anti-fun flaming enemies made the end game a bore.

You can nail flaming enemies with wicked weaves, so you're probably supposed to be using dodge offset on them. I don't really like how common they get either, though.

I didn't see anything wrong with enemies blocking you. It's probably supposed to teach you not to run up to enemies and combo them - instead, take advantage of dodge offset to hit them with the most important parts of your combos.

Papercuts

It's just weird, I would take advantage of enemies during vulnerable points and get cock blocked for it. I did try dodge offsets and stuff but even getting them mid combo still had it break before I finished, basically putting me in the mindset the game only wants me to do short and simple combos for some reason.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
border said:
If they still publish it in Europe I suppose it won't be that hard to get a copy (just expensive) of the strategy guide.

It just seems weird that they dropped the ball so hard with this one.
There's actually a trailer out for the strategy guide. Seriously, a TRAILER for a STRATEGY GUIDE.

They basically explicitly state: we will teach you how to do this.

Rezbit said:
Wow...what a terrible idea this missile level is. The last thing I want to do in a game with this combat is play a shitty shooting level. Fuck?

i liked the idea. it's a nice hommage and it goes back to older days, when developers weren't scared to put drastically different levels into their games.

Cetra

ShockingAlberto said:

I'm referring to the one in
Chapter II or III where you have to hit a witch door until it becomes a bridge and witch time to run across it or it disappears. You can just panther jump across the ditch or use Crow mode.

Ah I see, that's good to know. I'm sure I'll be attempting speed runs on all chapters as well so that little nugget of knowledge will definitely be handy.

Rezbit

Augemitbutter said:
i liked the idea. it's a nice hommage and it goes back to older days, when developers weren't scared to put drastically different levels into their games.

It needed to be either a lot more engaging or a lot shorter. Just a couple of minutes would have done. Maybe one miniboss, not 4 or whatever it was.

Also, just finished. Last battle was totally awesome. Now I am watching some dancing thing. What just happened. What is happening. I am confused.

TreIII

Augemitbutter said:

I wouldn't force it on the player though. Make it, and the driving section another set of bonus stages/mini-games you can unlock, or whatever. But forcing it as main parts of the game that MUST be cleared in order to continue? I HATED THAT. I love this game, but I did not buy Bayonetta for driving/shooting stages that do more to take me away from what I DID buy the game for. :lol

I mean, Kamiya HAD to have heard the various complains about the shooting parts that were in DMC and VJ alike. A LOT of people absolutely HATED those sections, and thought it did more to detract from the overall game experience. Why he seems to want to force it on players who buy his games is something I still don't understand...

Still have much love for the guy, tho. :lol :lol

Top Bottom