• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Giolon

Papercuts said:
Oh yeah, I had a lot of gripes that never really bothered me until I started going through Infinite Climax.

On top of all of this, they put in a lot of flaming versions of enemies to make it even more tedious, which without witch time I don't know what you were meant to do. Whip them constantly? Okay, but the whip gives you shitty combo scores. Same with relying on the rosary's explosion, which is what I usually did.

I really hope someone can help with the deflection stuff, I really didn't see a way past it and that coupled with the anti-fun flaming enemies made the end game a bore.

Durga in fire mode can hit flaming enemies w/o penalty. :D (and it will let you walk on lava/fire while on your feet. Odette does this as well.)

they could have made it a bit shorter or add more regular fighting on the rocket, might have helped some people getting through it.

i know why some people don't like this stuff, but others have enjoyed it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Giolon said:
Durga in fire mode can hit flaming enemies w/o penalty. :D (and it will let you walk on lava/fire while on your feet. Odette does this as well.)

It doesn't. :p

The walking on lava, yeah, but you still take damage as usual unless the fire effect is hitting them without you actually making contact. I don't understand why they DON'T damage them. It's why I said I use the whip on them, you can safely attack them, with the durga she moves forward a lot. I don't know how else to properly fight them, so that got pretty old.

i'm new to Bayonetta, just played the demo tonight. Great action and was fun, too bad i have a ton of back log games to play but i'll def pick this up in a couple of months :D

border

Yeah, the trailer for the strategy guide is insane -- 720P version on YouTube

The first 60 seconds are incredible.....she just launches one of those huge dudes and he never lands -- at least 45 seconds are spent in an air juggle that doesn't end until the guy is dead. I've put in 20 hours and I have no idea how I'd do something like that. I don't know how it is she manages to maintain elevation, why the enemy doesn't snap out of it, how she manages to do that blazing jumpkick 3-4 times. If the enemy didn't die I wonder if the combo could have just continued indefinitely?

Obviously it's a little ridiculous of them to promise you Pure Platinums on every stage at every difficulty, but if I can be taught to play half as good as in the video I'll be happy.

Papercuts

When you jump off an enemies' head, even after you double jump, you can double jump again. If you cleared the two stay in the air alfheims using the whip you very likely used a double jump, pull with the whip, then a jump off the enemies head to get another double jump.

If you go into practice mode you'll notice if you do it quickly you can burning kick twice, like a double jump. If you're positioned right you can still jump off the enemies head after the kick, which is how all those kicks are done in one combo.

border

What's the move for a head stomp? I bought all the moves but I think I forgot that one since it didn't seem particularly useful or practical until now :lol

What's more bizarre to me is that the enemy never even seems to recover....most of the time when I try a pop-up combo on the more powerful monsters they seem to recover and flip out of it pretty quick.

border

Even the product description is epic:

It’s taken us more than 8 months to completely master Bayonetta. 6,000 incredible hours of testing, observation and intense play, and over 200,000 words to record our experience on more than 400 pages. The result is probably the most complete guide to date. Bayonetta deserves to be mastered, and this guide is your key!

* Pure Platinum: Its unique Battle Guide shows you how to get a Pure Platinum medal in every single Verse of every Chapter. Fighting beautifully is all that matters here, as we focus on achieving the highest ranks, even on the Non Stop ∞ Climax setting.

* Visual Scenario Guide: Locate any item quickly and easily, or simply find out how to proceed using our map-based visual walkthrough. You won’t miss a single collectible, and even the best-hidden Verses are revealed at a glance.

* Perfect Combat: The unparalleled depth of Bayonetta’s combat system is analysed and laid bare. Weapons, combos, accessories and advanced techniques are all covered and discussed in exquisite detail. We show this game as it’s meant to be played.

* Opponents Analysed: Learn everything there is to know about the various types of Angels and Bosses, their weak spots, attack and defence data, attack cues and techniques, so that you can beat them with style. Whether they are lightning fast or gigantic in size, our strategies show you how to eliminate them without taking a single hit – on even the hardest difficulty setting!

* Bayonetta Exposed: There is a wealth of secret weapons, characters and bonus content to discover. We show you all there is. The non-stop combat of Angel Slayer mode is covered in full detail, as we break down every battle in every stage. The Achievements/Trophy Guide recommends the quickest way to complete all the challenges and provides extra tips on how to succeed in the really tough ones.

* Access to exclusive videos: The serial number from the guide grants you access to the video section of future-press.com! Here you'll find countless videos of strategies and tips from the guide. They are the perfect supplementation to the book, especially when you're struggling to perform. The videos give an impressive insight into how Bayonetta can be played with faultless precision. And for a BONUS: An exclusive video of the interview from the Collector's Edition with subtitles.

Giolon

RE: Fire Durga works on flaming enemies.
Papercuts said:
It doesn't. :p
yes, it does. :p But you have to equip it on Hands AND Feet at the same time. Fire up Chapter 3 on Normal and try it (or on Chapter 6 on Hard/Non-Stop Climax.) :D

Narcosis

That vid for the guide has some awesome gameplay demos, but I just don't feel I have enough time to master the game like that in this crowded Q1 season. The only game in this genre of action I ever got nearly that good at was my perfect run of DMC3 on DMD difficulty and I trained for what seemed like forever to do that.

Papercuts

Giolon said:

yes, it does. :p But you have to equip it on Hands AND Feet at the same time. Fire up Chapter 3 on Normal and try it (or on Chapter 6 on Hard/Non-Stop Climax.) :D

Wow, that actually does work. :lol

I guess that complaint is mostly gone, but I have no idea why they make it required to have both sets on.

Korey

Papercuts said:
Wow, that actually does work. :lol

I guess that complaint is mostly gone, but I have no idea why they make it required to have both sets on.
It doesn't require both, from my recollection. I had them equipped on feet and I could kick flaming enemies without getting hurt.

Giolon

Korey said:
It doesn't require both, from my recollection. I had them equipped on feet and I could kick flaming enemies without getting hurt.

But if you put both on, you can PUNCH too. :)

Haha, there's nothing not painfully simple about anything done in that strategy guide trailer.

COMPLETE BAYONETTA WITHOUT LOSING A SINGLE LIFE. WooaAAh.

Most of you will be this level of combat after enough time with the game. I am, and I'm awful at videogames (though brawlers are my favorite genre)

Jex

Because of the people in this thread I trudged out in a snowstorm to pick up Bayonetta when it was released. I was not dissapointed!

I've just been going through the game on hard, I was up to chapter 6 and then accidently erased that save and had to go back to one where I had just beat the game on normal. I didn't realise quite how much better I have got a the game since I started on hard - the part where you had to get three torute attacks was just impossible for me. I spent about two hours on it. This time through I had had enough training and I didn't get hit once. The comabt learning curve is soooo good.

Aske

You know what else kills fire enemies? Bullets. Shotgun pellets. RPGs. Laserbeams. How many people are just using their guns to punch kick? You can pull off your favourite combos without ever touching an enemy if you hold down P or K, and actually use your projectiles weapons for their intended purpose.

Papercuts

Korey said:

You definitely need both, atleast for punch. I was taking damage from it, and I'm pretty sure I tried feet too, but it shouldn't matter anyway.

Aske said:
You know what else kills fire enemies? Bullets. Shotgun pellets. RPGs. Laserbeams. How many people are just using their guns to punch kick? You can pull off your favourite combos without ever touching an enemy if you hold down P or K, and actually use your projectiles weapons for their intended purpose.

I was mainly wondering a way to kill the fire enemies without getting a horrible combo score. I used Bazillions laser a lot but you get pretty much jack from it.

Aske

Papercuts said:
I was mainly wondering a way to kill the fire enemies without getting a horrible combo score. I used Bazillions laser a lot but you get pretty much jack from it.

Are you firing off a single beam and then breaking the combo? Just about every regular combo can be done from a distance with guns. And starting with a gun combo often puts out the fires, at least on the Hard Alfheims. Haven't had time to play enough of Climax mode to see if it works there, but last time I fought flaming Ardors, I could easily pull off a quick bullet combo and extinguish the flames. Leave them alone for a second and they charge up again, but that's when you lay in with melee weapons.

Papercuts

Aske said:
Are you firing off a single beam and then breaking the combo? Just about every regular combo can be done from a distance with guns. And starting with a gun combo often puts out the fires, at least on the Hard Alfheims. Haven't had time to play enough of Climax mode to see if it works there, but last time I fought flaming Ardors, I could easily pull off a quick bullet combo and extinguish the flames. Leave them alone for a second and they charge up again, but that's when you lay in with melee weapons.

On IC it didn't seem to extinguish. I tried to run in and attack while the beam stunned them but might've taken too long, I guess I'll toy with it tomorrow.

Monocle

Funchameleon said:
Haha, there's nothing not painfully simple about anything done in that strategy guide trailer.

COMPLETE BAYONETTA WITHOUT LOSING A SINGLE LIFE. WooaAAh.

Most of you will be this level of combat after enough time with the game. I am, and I'm awful at videogames (though brawlers are my favorite genre)
You're so cool. When I grow up I want to play games just like you.

I just admitted I was awful at videogames. Nothing done in that video is anything the game doesn't explicitly teach you on its own, it's just some free flowing combos and some timely parries. Nothing a strategy guide can teach, or even really help with, better than practice.

Veelk

Banned
Funchameleon said:
I just admitted I was awful at videogames. Nothing done in that video is anything the game doesn't explicitly teach you on its own, it's just some free flowing combos and some timely parries. Nothing a strategy guide can teach, or even really help with, better than practice.

While this is true, I'm considering getting it because it specifically tells you pretty much everything that is going on. I can get a better grip on things during practice if I understand just what is specifically going on in the game. There are plenty of things that even dedicated players can miss simply because they are going on practiced instinct rather than knowing the technical bits. That's what I'm getting it for.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Ultimo hombre said:
1000/1000 done. It's gonna take a lot to pull my GOTY away from this. Easily the best action game of this generation and possibly ever.

totally agree x100.

Amazing game and not very hard at all as I'm going through it for the first time.

_Xenon_

Banned
Giolon said:

WHAT THE FUCK? Damn this game has too much to learn. Now I know how to beat the 18th Alfheim with
Jeanne

I've just started playing Bayonetta. I'm finding it a lot of fun, but obviously I am playing it wrong. I am completely mashing buttons, but from the Youtube video, obviously there is a "way" to play correctly. I think I need to really learn the mechanics and start over.

You can only really pull off those endless juggles against angels (affinity, applaud, ardor, etc.), any of the stronger enemies like joy, gracious/glorious, fairness/fearless, etc. can't be bounced around in that manner, and you'll have better success learning how to use the evil rosary, mahaa-kalaa, or cheap tactics like dodge spamming with a gun weapon and holding down P/K.

Ultimo hombre said:
1000/1000 done. It's gonna take a lot to pull my GOTY away from this. Easily the best action game of this generation and possibly ever.

Same here. Just pulled it off this morning after taking a little break from it.

I hope people remember this title when GOTY awards are being given out.

Ataturk

I salute everyone who's got 1000/1000, or even close to that, much respect.

I love the fact that they put the Viewtiful Joe diagonal kick in this game. :D

Jinjo

Had this game laying around for a while and it didn't click until I gave it some more time yesterday. The fighting is absolutely awesome and holy shit at some of the scenery you come across. Mindblowing.:D

Does any one know of a good guide for finding all of Antonio's notebooks. I'm missing 2 and it's starting to irk me. I'm also missing a couple crows and some witch chests but there seem to be plenty of guides for those.

Llyranor

Alfheims on hard are tooooough. But so satisfying when you finally beat them! I got stuck on one of them for over an hour. They may potentially be my favorite fights in the game.

akachan ningen said:
Yeah it has. I'd say don't get your hopes up.

It reminds me of that scene from The Karate Kid when Mr. Miyagi sees Daniel practicing karate in his living room and kind of snickers at him "Karate eh? Learn from book?"

I'd say figuring out how to do this stuff out for yourself is most of the fun of the game.
I'm not getting the book. I'm just saying that the trailer is pretty impressive.

man, I should have bought the Moon-Shakalaka Acessrory sooner,
why did I buy this so late? it's so much fun with it
I finished HARD yesterday, now onto 8Climax
Beeds and Moon-Shakalakakaka it is

Alx

No it's quite easy, the frame window is large enough to easily counter incoming attacks when you're fighting one on one with regular opponents.

PARANO1A said:
Hrmm and are there any suggestions for best/easiest weapons? I'm up to chapter 10 now on my first run through and I'm still sticking with Scarborough Fair. The only others I've picked up are Ebony and Ivory, a katana, a whip, and one that looks like a claw. I just find it a bit hectic to try and learn a new moveset while advancing in the game.

Edit: if it's not already obvious I really suck at games like this so be gentle please.

sword on the hand as your primary. Pick either guns or Durga on hour feet.

On the 2nd set, use whip on hands and killgore on feet.

Always keep an eye on bayonetta in battle so you can see the moves being done. Keep a finger on the right trigger to get witch time. Don't be shy about it. Dodge is more of a key to this game than attack. Focus on that first.

Learn these basic combos. With sword: p p p p k. P p p p p.
Use this for most enemies. Remember you can dodge at any point in the combo so be ready to use it. The reason you need to only work on a couple of combos at first is so you can get used to not button mashing and keeping an eye on bayonetta in combat.

For the whip, use it on any flying enemies. Combo. P k p. This is your bread and butter with the whip. You can also hold down p which with drag the enemy to you. At that point you can do pppk.

The key here is to learn to slow down the game so you're not just mashing buttons and feeling overwhelmed. Best way to do that is get 2 good weapon sets and use a few basic combos to learn the animations and slow the gameplay down. Hope this helps.

zoukka

The wind boss was kinda lame :/ And way too easy. I'm not too fond of the massive QTE sections. I'd rather slice and dice the bosses myself.

Finished the game, what a ride, I think that's something that this game somewhat shares with RE4, it's an awesome rollercoaster ride, that's continuously throws awesomeness to you. My biggest complain was the "Space Harrier" section, which dragged for too long and was just boring, I had more fun with the driving sections...

Also
INFINITONS!!

Top Bottom