• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fimbulvetr said:
I... I guess. But yeah, what I was basically trying to say was that just the fact that I'm actually fighting the same boss (skin) makes it a bit dull. That's all :)

tehWillis said:
Totally. :lol

That actually isn't hard to imagine.

A roach shaped angel with a cherub face that attacks by shooting liquid(acid, or blood if they wanna make a Kirby reference) out of its eyes.

Yoshichan said:
I... I guess. But yeah, what I was basically trying to say was that just the fact that I'm actually fighting the same boss (skin) makes it a bit dull. That's all :)

Yeah, I definitely felt they should have just created new miniboss designs for those fights.

goldenpp72

I don't get the boss bitching, the REAL bosses, not the bigger normal enemies, you encounter them one real time, one smaller (much smaller, like 1/8th as big) scale of a fight, then you encounter them as bosses you have to beat up space harrier style, and then finally, you encounter I think the one boss again but you have to shoot him with a cannon, and I think the other boss encounters only repeated once?

Seriously, the REAL bosses you don't encountered more than a few times and each is pretty distinct, unless you're talking about jeanne but her fights just get progressively crazier.

Yeah, I would say that the boss thing is done really well in this game.

Really, the only virtue who has a true refight is Iustitia. The first copy of Fortitudo is similar to his ground phase, but other than that, all of the mini-virtues are completely different from the original fights.

I normally like boss refighting, so I can't decide if I like the way this game did it more than DMC1. You did fight bosses a lot in that game, but it felt like they were developing more and more each time, so it never became repetitive. With the exception of Jeanne (and maybe
Father Rodin
, most of the bosses in this game didn't really feel as fleshed out as DMC1's, although they were certainly cooler.

Yoshichan said:
Okay, what the hell was that at 1:29? What move is it?

It's just the Heel stomp repeated a few times (back, forwards + K) If you have magic in your gauge it'll summon a giant heel crush, which works even at long range. I love using it to stomp the snakes out of the sky :)

Minamu

bmf said:
Umbran Tear #77 is killing me. 7 Torture attacks on flaming enemies. God fucking damn.
I know :/ I did that one & the rest of the hard tears today. Took about 30 retries. I didn't want to reach the Joys with less than 3 hp orbs. It was a lot easier with that accessory that gives you two orbs for free. And I realized that you can hold the taunt button which made it even easier. Since score wasn't interesting, I spammed Bazillions on the Joys & enemies I didn't need to torture. The Hold P attack with those guns is insane!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Air Zombie Meat said:
It's just the Heel stomp repeated a few times (back, forwards + K) If you have magic in your gauge it'll summon a giant heel crush, which works even at long range. I love using it to stomp the snakes out of the sky :)
Damn, I never used the Heel stomp like that.

Cetra

Fimbulvetr said:
That actually isn't hard to imagine.

A roach shaped angel with a cherub face that attacks by shooting liquid(acid, or blood if they wanna make a Kirby reference) out of its eyes.

Maybe even make it's outline of its eyelids shaped like the letter Q. That would be WAY too awesome. Kamiya, are you reading this?! :lol

This game will never cease to amaze me. I am on Chapter 14 of Normal
The missile level
and everything up until this point is fantasically polished (except the QTEs which kill you if you miss them).

Is there a list somewhere of all the game references that are in game? I've noticed a couple here and there, but I know I've missed a ton.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i haven't played anything other than local multiplayer street fighter 4 in like a year and today i spent SIX AND A HALF HOURS playing this game

i disgust myself.

custom soundtracks save games like these. replace the awful music with different albums for fun alternatives. what albums is everyone playing?

my favorites so far:
rjd2-tin-foil-hat-cover.jpg
elvis-costello-my-aim-is-true-1977.jpg

jon bones said:
i disgust myself.

what a pain, replacing a very good OST with band music. clearly, you're part of a huge problem these days. diversity weeps, but not for people like you. go hide in a corner and never show your face again!

jon bones

Augemitbutter said:
what a pain, replacing a very good OST with band music. clearly, you're part of a huge problem these days. diversity weeps, but not for people like you. go hide in a corner and never show your face again!

phoenix wright: ace attorney was the last video game soundtrack i heard that was worth listening to for the entire game.

bayonetta is an excellent game - the first to grab and hold my attention in what feels like a very long time - but you could enhance your experience of the game by making the ost that much better.

and sort of related topic, out of curiosity: do you listen to much music? if so, what kinds/genres?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
So I was like majorly 360 guy till my 360 started fucking up and ruined my MW2 and SFIV discs and I got a PS3 and now I am at this impasse because I really wanna play Bayonetta but I am scared to buy it for my 360 if it might not load or if it will break it or something but I've played both demos and the PS3 one just seems crappier and I just CAN'T DECIDE WHAT TO DO OH GOD JESUS IN HEAVEN so like

Is the PS3 one really that shitty or do you think I could handle it ughhhhhh

Daigoro

boo on replacing the soundtrack to this game. seriously, boo.

Yoshichan said:
Damn, I never used the Heel stomp like that.

i love the heel stomp. the move is so badass and sexy.

it just feels so right, and the way she yells BOOM in that brit accent is just perfect.

Enk

makes good threads.
BlueScrote said:
This game will never cease to amaze me. I am on Chapter 14 of Normal
The missile level
and everything up until this point is fantasically polished (except the QTEs which kill you if you miss them).

Is there a list somewhere of all the game references that are in game? I've noticed a couple here and there, but I know I've missed a ton.

The only ones I've spotted are:

Outrun's music
Space Harrier (in everyway)
Afterburner's music
Fantasy Zone is said but who knows if it's an intentional reference

and I think the map screen is a tribute to Golden Axe as well.

Edit: I also remember Eggman being mentioned but my memory is bit fuzzy on that one.

jon bones said:
phoenix wright: ace attorney was the last video game soundtrack i heard that was worth listening to for the entire game.

bayonetta is an excellent game - the first to grab and hold my attention in what feels like a very long time - but you could enhance your experience of the game by making the ost that much better.

and sort of related topic, out of curiosity: do you listen to much music? if so, what kinds/genres?

PW: AA is a great OST, we can agree on that.

i admit the battle theme can be tiresome after a while, i don't even like it. but there are so many different tracks across the game and lots of them are of much higher quality, muting them is a sin. don't forget the OST ships on 5 CDs.

yea, i do listen to lots of different genres. prog. rock, early heavy metal, classic, jazz fusion, film and game soundtracks and more.

lobdale said:
So I was like majorly 360 guy till my 360 started fucking up and ruined my MW2 and SFIV discs and I got a PS3 and now I am at this impasse because I really wanna play Bayonetta but I am scared to buy it for my 360 if it might not load or if it will break it or something but I've played both demos and the PS3 one just seems crappier and I just CAN'T DECIDE WHAT TO DO OH GOD JESUS IN HEAVEN so like

Is the PS3 one really that shitty or do you think I could handle it ughhhhhh

the loading tmes on PS3 can be tedious, but other than that, most people won't notice much of a hindering difference. in your case, it's better to play relaxed without any fear of consoles breaking like originally intended.

if you like good sound it's even better, the PS3 version ships with a DTS track, 360 doesn't have that.

jon bones

Augemitbutter said:
PW: AA is a great OST, we can agree on that.

i admit the battle theme can be tiresome after a while, i don't even like it. but there are so many different tracks across the game and lots of them are of much higher quality, muting them is a sin. don't forget the OST ships on 5 CDs.

yea, i do listen to lots of different genres. prog. rock, early heavy metal, classic, jazz fusion, film and game soundtracks and more.

maybe there are some good songs on there but everything i've heard sounds like they could be on a DDR machine or something

went back and played some more. 3 more albums i found work great with the game:

Hatful+Of+Hollow.jpg
98a289e9.jpg
jay-z20blueprint3.jpg

Enk said:
The only ones I've spotted are:

Outrun's music
Space Harrier (in everyway)
Afterburner's music
Fantasy Zone is said but who knows if it's an intentional reference

Fantasy Zone boss music at the end of the motorcycle level.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just did the prologe and PP'd it with
Little King Zero
. Don't know if bonus characters are spoilers, but whatever. Cutscenes look hilarious with them, they get plugged into the still frame cutscenes with their character model always moving in the idle stance. :lol

I'm not really sure why it forces a new game on you though, I feel neutered when I reflexively try to go into panther form.

Cetra

ravien56 said:
So if your not from London, how else can you order that sexy strategy guide?

amazon.co.uk is your friend. :D

And I can see havin' an issue with the more J-Popish Jazzy tracks on the OST, but the orchestral arrangements are absolutely fantastic. I love the diversity in the soundtrack goes from silly fun to absolutely epic so quickly, just like teh game.

Giolon

Ok I've beaten the game on Non-Stop Climax and gotten every achievement, now I'm going for all plats on Normal to unlock
Jeanne
, and I'm having a bit of trouble, particularly with combo scores.

I've been unable to figure out what exactly raises your combo multiplier in combat. The things I think I've sussed out:

• Witch Time seems to help
  • Switching Weapons seems to help
  • Multiplier seems to plateau until your current combat score passes certain thresholds
  • Longer combos seem to help, except for the amount of damage they end up doing

My main problem seems to be that I end up killing enemies too fast, even using only Scarborough Fair or Lightning Durga. Do any of you super-aces have any light to shed on the subject?

goldenpp72

Giolon said:
Ok I've beaten the game on Non-Stop Climax and gotten every achievement, now I'm going for all plats on Normal to unlock
Jeanne

I've been unable to figure out what exactly raises your combo multiplier in combat. The things I think I've sussed out:

• Multiplier seems to plateau until your current combat score passes certain thresholds

My main problem seems to be that I end up killing enemies too fast, even using only Scarborough Fair. Do any of you super-aces have any light to shed on the subject?

Witch time and also that bracelet that enrages enemies, seems to help ME for whatever reason getting combo scores, aside that though, I believe the idea of combos is when you kill an enemy in a helpless state of sorts, sometimes when you hit an enemy it feels kind of mushy and they don't react negatively, but in context where you hit them and cause them to stun and not move, i think it adds to the combo meter at that point.

But im personally not sure myself, I think doing a plat run wont be too bad tho, pure plat however, is tricky.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Giolon said:
Jeanne

My main problem seems to be that I end up killing enemies too fast, even using only Scarborough Fair or Lightning Durga. Do any of you super-aces have any light to shed on the subject?

Like mentioned above, the gaze of despair causes enemies to be in an enraged state, which gives you more points. However it DOES make them faster and more aggressive, not to mention they take more punishment before being locked in a combo if that makes sense. Witch time ups the score you get, so that along with the gaze can really help.

Switching weapons does too, yeah. If you pay attention the combo score per hit starts to go down if you don't mix it up, and stuff like the whip gets awful scores if you just use that from afar.

"Longer" combos help, yeah, but there's a lot of stuff defined as a combo here. if you're away from enemies, pepper them with your gun to maintain it before starting a normal combo to string stuff together. You're able to take hits and still hold a combo, but if you spend too long dodging you'll break it, so make sure to put in a couple of shots pretty frequently.

For weapons, it really depends on the enemies you're facing. For standard angels and the earlier chapters, I would use the handguns. They're basically Scarborough Fair without the Weaves, it takes longer to kill enemies without those powerful strikes and just like the normal guns they gain magic pretty quickly, which can mean a lot of torture attacks on near dead enemies, which is great for the combo score. But when you start facing stuff like Grace and Glory I wouldn't use them unless you're confident in your abilities to not get hit.

I'm not exactly a master of how they score the stuff, but at the very least using the guns to make each verse one long combo seems to be a pretty huge factor for it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Whoo. Beat the game on Normal finally. Wound up with 35 of the 50 achievements.
Not too horrible for my first run, methinks.

Still have TOOOOONS of shit to buy from Rodin's, not to mention 3 more LPs to put together.
Not sure how much longer I'll be playing it, but I'll probably see how much money I can make by running through the game on Easy or something.

goldenpp72

Mejilan said:
Whoo. Beat the game on Normal finally. Wound up with 35 of the 50 achievements.
Not too horrible for my first run, methinks.

Still have TOOOOONS of shit to buy from Rodin's, not to mention 3 more LPs to put together.
Not sure how much longer I'll be playing it, but I'll probably see how much money I can make by running through the game on Easy or something.

there is a really easy way to make money if you're into using exploits, though you really won't need to worry about money if you don't care to

fight rodin

orion434

I completed the game 1000/1000 over the weekend, had a blast and I still need to beat Rodin, man he kicks my ass like no tomorrow.

This game is so much fun...I really can't get enough. I'm about to complete it for the second time on Normal again and can't wait to go on to try Hard :D I also just have a blast playing chapters for no reason. Seriously. I have 30 hours logged into this game...and I still haven't done Hard and Infinite Climax :lol (Which I plan to do! I want to 1000/1000 this baby)

My plan was to practice for Hard by doing Normal again and it seems to be working...I'm getting used to the enemies' attacks and when to doge. It also helps that I've bought all the Heart and Moon pieces I can from Rodin with Selene's Light (Had I bought this my first playthrough, it would have made things so much easier for me).

Onto Alfheims: holy shit, doing them feels so good! I love finding my own little strategies and trying them out...when they work it's, like...awesome :D

Battle themes list!

My favorites: Battle for the Umbran Throne, Red & Black, Fly Me to the Moon, and
You May Call Me Father
--in that order. God, the first one is just soooooo amazing.

Giolon said:

Put on Gaze of Despair (50% more combo points)

Make sure to mix in weave attacks, which in my limited observations can immediately reset some of the 'dimishing returns' that happen when you attack for too long with regular hits.

Use the gun (X/square) to keep the combo meter up at long range. Or Taunt, which temporarily pauses the combo meter.

Use Torture Attacks on a nearly dead enemy for lots of points.

The Evil Rosary or other AOE bombs will lower your score vs 2 or more enemies because they don't award as many points as you'd get hitting each enemy individually.

Weaker weapons don't necessarily mean less combo points. Usually they are balanced so each hit/damage corresponds to a similar amount of points.

Use Angel Weapons to increase combo points - they reward ridiculous amounts of points.

dragonlife29 said:
Fly Me to the Moon, and
You May Call Me Father
--in that order. God, the first one is just soooooo amazing.

Fly Me to the Moon... something about it is just so great. When I first heard it I was like WTF but after a while it grew on me and then I started to like it and now it's one of my favorite game songs ever. The
ending credits version
of it is fantastic as well.

LiK

brandonh83 said:
Fly Me to the Moon... something about it is just so great. When I first heard it I was like WTF but after a while it grew on me and then I started to like it and now it's one of my favorite game songs ever. The
ending credits version
of it is fantastic as well.
Its an old song. My fave version is from Frank Sinatra.

Fimbulvetr said:
"An adventure game is a video game in which the player assumes the role of protagonist in an interactive story that is driven by exploration and puzzle-solving instead of physical challenges such as combat."

"Action game is a video game genre that emphasizes physical challenges, including hand-eye coordination and reaction-time."

Despite having action as a large focus GOW still has less devotion to combat than DMC or NG and more emphasis on puzzles and level design.

Just wondering did that stop the genre comparisons between gow and ng series when mags/reviewers compared the games?

Be weird if it's all of a sudden gow is the same genre as Uncharted or if different mags class it under different genres.

CadetMahoney said:
Just wondering did that stop the genre comparisons between gow and ng series when mags/reviewers compared the games?

Be weird if it's all of a sudden gow is the same genre as Uncharted or if different mags class it under different genres.

Gears gets compared to Uncharted sometimes despite being in a different genre. :/

Some sites have always categorized GOW as Action/Adventure, some haven't.

It's weird okay.

zoukka

How are you supposed to instant weave? I can only whip out the fiant body parts after combos.

And also I don't understand why people were not happy about the DMC comparisons. I've now played like 7 hours and Bayonetta is a DMC clone :b

andymcc

Banned
jon bones said:
maybe there are some good songs on there but everything i've heard sounds like they could be on a DDR machine or something

well, it sounds similar to stuff you'd hear spilling out in the streets in a crowded area of tokyo. some reviewer equated the sound to that of what you'd hear in a packed japanese game center, i couldn't agree more. plus, add all of the awesome remixes of older classic sega tunes, and that is awesome.

and, as far as music that i listen to, i listen to a lot of music. : P i can't tell you why i enjoy the soundtrack to the game, i think it's because it's not the cheese-mo guitar music of DMC, but it kind of reminds me of a soundtrack from the DC-era. it strangely evokes a sense of nostalgia. :lol

this post had two great albums and one very mediocre one (the new jay-z pales in comparison to American Gangster, much less the rest of his discography), but i kind of see where you could listen to source tags & codes but i have no earthly idea of how the smiths would ever fit with what i'm doing in a video game... especially morrissey's voice.

Aske

zoukka said:
And also I don't understand why people were not happy about the DMC comparisons. I've now played like 7 hours and Bayonetta is a DMC clone :b

Generally, games which are essentially sequels are not defined as clones. This game is Kamiya's follow-up to DMC1; a game he created that was followed by three sequels in which he had no input.

Top Bottom