• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
zoukka said:
How are you supposed to instant weave? I can only whip out the fiant body parts after combos.

And also I don't understand why people were not happy about the DMC comparisons. I've now played like 7 hours and Bayonetta is a DMC clone :b

There are two Techniques that you can buy from Rodin.

One called Heel Stomp(I think) and another one with a Japanese name.

Buy them, and if you have at least 3 three jewels(the move costs 3 jewels obviously) in your magic meter it will perform a wicked weave when you use those techniques.

zoukka

Fimbulvetr said:

Buy them, and if you have at least 3 three jewels(the move costs 3 jewels obviously) in your magic meter it will perform a wicked weave when you use those techniques.

Thanks I thought I was fucking stupid for not knowing that, but I haven't bought them yet. There's so little money in this game if you don't grind. I'm saving for the Moon of shalashaska because I think it's some kind of parry item? Are the other items worth the pennies? The one that gives you free witch time sounds really lame and the rosary takes that away...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
goldenpp72 said:
there is a really easy way to make money if you're into using exploits, though you really won't need to worry about money if you don't care to

fight rodin

Details, pretty please?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Mejilan said:
Details, pretty please?
Easiest way to make money is to fight the level 7 boss over and over again. Just equip the lightning durgas, and spam P in the air. You won't make nearly as much as some of the other exploits, but this method doesn't require any extra accessories or weapons or switching or anything (though Gaze of Despair and Selene's Light will help quite a bit).

Example vid

zoukka said:
Thanks I thought I was fucking stupid for not knowing that, but I haven't bought them yet. There's so little money in this game if you don't grind. I'm saving for the Moon of shalashaska because I think it's some kind of parry item? Are the other items worth the pennies? The one that gives you free witch time sounds really lame and the rosary takes that away...

Selene's Light is intended for players who find themselves getting hit often, and even then it costs magic to use(so if you get hit too much you won't get to use it at all).

The Rosary is good for the few fights in which you can't use witch time and Not-Stop Climax mode where you can NEVER use witch time.

Their uses vary depending on what kind of player you are(the healing taunt accessory and the Selene's Light are good for novices), your play style, or what you are trying to accomplish.

You should probably get around to buying all of those techniques eventually though, they're generally extremely useful.

Aske

Mejilan said:
Details, pretty please?

Two ways. The cheapest is to fight the boss in Chapter 7 by spamming P with the lightening Durgas, while wearing the Gaze of Despair and Selene's Light. Just try to keep the combo going throughout the fight and mash away. You'll get about 800,000 Halos. The useful thing is that the boss fight is the only thing in the chapter, so you can rinse and repeat without wasting much time.

The best way to farm halos is to fight the chapter 2 boss, but you'll need to unlock the Bracelet of Time. Do this by beating the game in under 3 hours, or by entering the expensive cheat code. Equip the Bracelet along with the Gaze of Despair, and use the Kilgore exploit to destroy the boss in witch-time. To use the Kilgore exploit, equip weapon set A with the Durga claws on your feet, and set B with the Kilgores. Round out set A with something like the sword. Using set A, begin a combo with four P attacks, then finish the combo by mashing K. As soon as you start kicking with the Durgas, switch to the Kilgores for insane missile spam. Doing this in witch-time in the confined space against the boss gets you a massive combo score. You'll grab several million Halos this way.

Mejilan

Thanks. I'll check that out once I get home.
I suppose, worst case scenario, I can spam this cheap exploit for the cash to buy the accessories I'm missing.

I spent all of the cash I earned throughout the game on the alt. weapons, techniques, perfumes, and witch hearts / moon pearls. I only finally purchased my first accessory (the parry one) after beating the game, since I had a cool 300K saved up by then, and no other upgrades/weapons/etc. to purchase. I wouldn't mind padding out my accessories and experiencing how they mix up the gameplay.

Not to mention the costumes. I really want the "Old" one. :D

Aske

If you'd rather get more halos just by playing the game, equip the Gaze of Despair. You get more Halos playing on harder difficulties too. The game is designed to let you slowly unlock things over a long period after your first game, but it's also fun to have all this stuff to use during your subsequent runs.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
andymcc said:
well, it sounds similar to stuff you'd hear spilling out in the streets in a crowded area of tokyo. some reviewer equated the sound to that of what you'd hear in a packed japanese game center, i couldn't agree more. plus, add all of the awesome remixes of older classic sega tunes, and that is awesome.

and, as far as music that i listen to, i listen to a lot of music. : P i can't tell you why i enjoy the soundtrack to the game, i think it's because it's not the cheese-mo guitar music of DMC, but it kind of reminds me of a soundtrack from the DC-era. it strangely evokes a sense of nostalgia. :lol

this post had two great albums and one very mediocre one (the new jay-z pales in comparison to American Gangster, much less the rest of his discography), but i kind of see where you could listen to source tags & codes but i have no earthly idea of how the smiths would ever fit with what i'm doing in a video game... especially morrissey's voice.

Scythesurge said:
@Jon Bones: Do you really put on The Smiths instead of the OST while playing this game?

i put the smiths on all the time... it really isn't appropriate for this game :lol

blueprint 3 isn't that great, agreed, but i've been on a big poppy hip hop kick lately (including the latest fabulous album)

i'd love to hear some remixed sega tunes but if i have the option, i almost always go for a custom soundtrack (except in RPGs but i haven't played one of those in a looong time)

thus far, my top albums for bayonetta custom soundtrack:

...and you will know us by the trail of dead - source tags & codes
bad religion - against the grain
lifetime - jersey's best dancers
modern life is war - witness
ghostface - supreme clientèle
nas - illmatic

punk of varying degress of thrashyness seems to work really well. HARD hip hop like nas or the "thrashy" hip hop equivalant (ghostface) are also real fun. i'm thinking of trying some sludgy doom instrumental stuff next :lol
-red sparrowes
-pelican

Fimbulvetr said:

so if i understand correctly, instead of waiting to finish a PPKKK combo to get a weave on the last "K", i can do the motions for a heel stomp mid-combo (or from a neutral position) and if i have at least 3 magic orbs filled, a weave will be preformed?

Mejilan

Are you looking to shoot out some quick Wicked Weaves on demand? Trying to tackle some of the nastier Alfheims (burning enemies + disabled witch time)?

While having a gun or the sword equipped on your hands, a P K P combo is a great way to go. Whiff the first two attacks and you can still connect with just the WW that comes after that as that third hit (second punch). With the sword, it's got great range and decent power.

No magic or special techniques required. I finished all of the trickier Alfheims using this trick. On normal, anyway. :)

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
The Collector's Edition Guide is 19.49€/14.99£ @ play.com, with free shipping (in europe, as far as I know). Guess that's pretty cheap. Also the site says that it's released today, but it's still on pre-order. Hum.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Mejilan said:
Are you looking to shoot out some quick Wicked Weaves on demand? Trying to tackle some of the nastier Alfheims (burning enemies + disabled witch time)?

yea just trying to understand the systems a bit more... chapter 6 right now on first play through (normal) so i'm feeling it out.

can't wait to get the "parry" accessory.

Mejilan

I just purchased the parry accessory last night, after beating the game. I spent some time in the first chapter getting acclimated to the new technique. Hell, accidentally unlocked two related achievements too! It's definitely a fun addition to her arsenal. Shame it comes so late in the game, relatively speaking. (Unless you farm a lot or hold off on buying lots of other upgrades first). Not sure how useful it'll be in the long run though, since I feel much safer dodging, or if my timing is a bit off, bat/dispersing.

The most I play, the more I feel I barely scratching the surface of the gameplay, but damn me, if even so, the game isn't fun with my current level skill.Is one of the few action games that allows you to do some cool things while saying to you "you need more practice".

LiK

man, listening to the OST and the tracks for the
Balder and Jubileus fights
are so fucking epic. more epic than most RPGs, POW!

MattyH

anybody got any tips how to beat the last boss on inf climax mode
keeps kicking my ass with the stupid fuckin vortex bullshit

MattyH said:

Spam right trigger to keep out of vortex. Worked for me on hard and climax. Run run run.

Dreavus

LiK said:
man, listening to the OST and the tracks for the
Balder and Jubileus fights
are so fucking epic. more epic than most RPGs, POW!

I think the reason why
Father Balder
is my favourite boss fight is partly because of how amazing the music is. And also all the ridiculous shit that happens while you fight him. :lol

LiK

Dreavus said:
I think the reason why
Father Balder
is my favourite boss fight is partly because of how amazing the music is. And also all the ridiculous shit that happens while you fight him. :lol

dayam right, he
throws a motherfucking skyscraper at you
:lol

NG28

MattyH said:

Whenever you see those hair strand things slam into the ground in a massive circle, turn into panther mode and run as far away as possible.

jon bones said:
so if i understand correctly, instead of waiting to finish a PPKKK combo to get a weave on the last "K", i can do the motions for a heel stomp mid-combo (or from a neutral position) and if i have at least 3 magic orbs filled, a weave will be preformed?

Yes.

Dreavus said:
I think the reason why
Father Balder

That and the fact that it's a better sounding version of One of A Kind where the battlefield parallels the Records of Time chapter.

Actually, is there any confirmation that the clock tower sequence takes place on the same island as the Ithavol building? That would just make it more awesome.

LiK said:
dayam right, he
throws a motherfucking skyscraper at you
:lol

"TO THE MOON!"

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
NG28 said:
Whenever you see those hair strand things slam into the ground in a massive circle, turn into panther mode and run as far away as possible.

Crow Form works as well, the vortex doesn't pull you down.

Mejilan

Bwahahah. Cheesing the Chapter VII boss for halos is awesome! Thanks for the tips!
Round 1. Without the two accessories, I managed something like a 15K combo score.
Round 2. With one of the two accessories, the combo score jumped to 2M.
Round 3. With both of the accessories, the combo scored jumped to 15M!!

Edit - Holy fuck! I wound up with about 270K halos after round 2. After round 3, 1.5M halos! Here I come, accessories and costumes!! :D

Papercuts

goldenpp72 said:
if you cheese the chapter 2 boss you can get 5-7 million halos in about 30 seconds

Yup. Takes longer to get to it, but I actually got 11 million off it in one go. :lol

jabipun

MattyH said:

one huge vortex in the middle (transform into panther and run away from it - simple)

multiple (3) vortexes, double jump in air and transform into bird, and just hover till they are gone.

Anyway,

WHAT ARE THE TOP 5 TRACKS in the Bayonetta OST. I'm thinking of hunting down on youtube for a listen.

Papercuts

Mejilan said:
Any detriment to using the phone booth cheat codes to unlock goodies, instead of raw skill?

You pay a ton of halos for it but the exploit makes that pretty null and void.

jabipun said:
one huge vortex in the middle (transform into panther and run away from it - simple)

multiple (3) vortexes, double jump in air and transform into bird, and just hover till they are gone.

Anyway,

WHAT ARE THE TOP 5 TRACKS in the Bayonetta OST. I'm thinking of hunting down on youtube for a listen.

IMO I'd say The Greatest Jubilee, You May Call Me Father, Friend, Let´s Dance, Boys!, and Red & Black.

So I got this game, and I'm really digging it.

Quick question though... I think I missed some LP's in a chapter. Is there a way to go back and get them after I've completed it?

Papercuts said:
IMO I'd say In The Choice Between Good And Evil, You May Call Me Father, Mysterious Destiny(shut up, it's good ):) Fly Me To The Moon(either version, though leaning a bit towards the credits one), Let´s Dance, Boys!, and Blood & Darkness.

Fixed.

IAmtheFMan said:
So I got this game, and I'm really digging it.

Quick question though... I think I missed some LP's in a chapter. Is there a way to go back and get them after I've completed it?

In the chapter menu you can access chapter select by pressing RB and picking it from the list.

Mejilan

Papercuts said:
You pay a ton of halos for it but the exploit makes that pretty null and void.

So for example, cheating to the unlockable weapons won't prevent you from getting the LP-related achievements later on?

Mejilan said:
Not sure how useful it'll be in the long run though, since I feel much safer dodging, or if my timing is a bit off, bat/dispersing.

Even if you use it for nothing else, it lets you get out of the Grace / Glory family and Jeanne's combos, which dodging can't do. It's probably the most useful accessory.

jabipun said:

I'm thinking You May Call Me Father, Sapientia - In The Choice Between Good and Evil, One of a Kind, Fly Me to the Moon, and The Greatest Jubilee. Every orchestral track is amazing, though.

Mejilan said:
So for example, cheating to the unlockable weapons won't prevent you from getting the LP-related achievements later on?

No, but honestly, I wouldn't do it. (weapon unlockable spoilers)

Out of the weapons you can cheat for, two are for beating Hard and Non-Stop Climax. By skipping those difficulties, you're really taking a lot away from the game - I would say that you can't even say you've beaten the game until you've run through it on all three relevant difficulties. The other weapon is meant to be a reward for defeating a certain optional challenge, and the only thing "grindworthy" about that is getting the money necessary - and you're fine with using exploits to get there, so that shouldn't matter.

The one weapon that probably does deserve a cheat (you need to beat 100 chapters to get it) doesn't have one.

Monocle

Papercuts said:
Yup. Takes longer to get to it, but I actually got 11 million off it in one go. :lol
I have immodest pride for my biggest take in a single run, 23,409,485 halos. :D

Fimbulvetr said:
What the hell, no it isn't. You removed The Greatest Jubilee. What's wrong with you?

Papercuts

Mejilan said:

Not sure actually. You get that achievement after beating Hard though(
even though there's one LP left, Pillow Talk, for beating IC
), I would just be on the safe side and not use a code to unlock Bazillions.

Monocle said:
I have immodest pride for my biggest take in a single run, 23,409,485 halos. :D

Damn, haha. Is that just the boss or the level itself? I got 11 million the first and only time I tried, but that's all I really needed.

jabipun

Holy crap!

The song " You may call me father" is fucking incredible.

I never really heard it all too well since I was too focused on the gameplay.

It's like - the most epic boss themes...ever.

EVER!

Monocle

Papercuts said:
Damn, haha. Is that just the boss or the level itself? I got 11 million the first and only time I tried, but that's all I really needed.
The level, but my score for all the other verses was relatively low. Earned halos show up only on the end chapter screen, as opposed to the end verse screen. Come to think of it, I would have liked the game to offer a more detailed breakdown of stats by verse. It might be too much to ask, but I hope that in Bayonetta's sequel (fingers crossed) all sorts of values are tracked, like how many times each combo was used, and how many points were earned with each weapon.

Daigoro

i started my Infinite Climax run today after taking about 4 days off from playing.

i was sure rusty, but it felt good to get back.

Mejilan said:
I just purchased the parry accessory last night, after beating the game. I spent some time in the first chapter getting acclimated to the new technique. Hell, accidentally unlocked two related achievements too! It's definitely a fun addition to her arsenal. Shame it comes so late in the game, relatively speaking. (Unless you farm a lot or hold off on buying lots of other upgrades first). Not sure how useful it'll be in the long run though, since I feel much safer dodging, or if my timing is a bit off, bat/dispersing.

i bought it right before i started my Hard run i think, so certainly not too late in the game (for me).

so far its easily the most useful accessory ive tried. i dunno how much others are abusing it (i assume, a lot), but i used it way more in my Hard run than i did dodge. after i started using it it took me a while to even start using dodge again because i was so addicted to parrying.

Monocle said:
What the hell, no it isn't. You removed The Greatest Jubilee. What's wrong with you?

At least 3 other boss tracks were better.

In The Choice Between Good And Evil won out because the piano parts are awesome as hell.

Mejilan

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Even if you use it for nothing else, it lets you get out of the Grace / Glory family and Jeanne's combos, which dodging can't do. It's probably the most useful accessory.

And, as I since discovered, it seems to grant you an orb of magic with every successful use. So I take it back. Parrying is definitely worth the effort of learning!

No, but honestly, I wouldn't do it. (weapon unlockable spoilers)

Out of the weapons you can cheat for, two are for beating Hard and Non-Stop Climax. By skipping those difficulties, you're really taking a lot away from the game - I would say that you can't even say you've beaten the game until you've run through it on all three relevant difficulties. The other weapon is meant to be a reward for defeating a certain optional challenge, and the only thing "grindworthy" about that is getting the money necessary - and you're fine with using exploits to get there, so that shouldn't matter.

The one weapon that probably does deserve a cheat (you need to beat 100 chapters to get it) doesn't have one.

I have every intention of doing at least hard mode at some point, if not climax mode (not sure about this one). But I also have no problem giving myself advantages during future runs. One thing I have no patience for however, is replaying each stage, shaving off precious seconds and minutes, in order to get the reward for getting my total time under 3 hours. That's just tedious. I just want to make sure I'm not borking my chances at getting the final achievements later on.

Mrbob

So whats the method of getting a platinum trophy for a level?

I originally got a platinum for chapter 1, but it was 21 min. Now I can get it done in like 6 min but I only get gold...I don't get the scoring either.

I'm crushing my point total, taking less time, getting better overall scores in each verse yet I'm only getting a gold trophy. What am I missing?

Monocle

Darkmakaimura said:
Any hints in this game that it may be in the same universe as DMC?
- The character of Enzo is common to both series, though he never makes an on-screen appearance in DMC.
- One of Rodin's lines is something close to, "Some people only like .45s," a reference to Dante's signature twin pistols, Ebony & Ivory, that vaguely implies Dante himself may have called on Rodin's services.
- The Bracelet of Time's in-game description all but confirms that it's The Bangle of Time from the DMC.
- (SPOILER FOR LATE-GAME HAIR SUMMON)
The in-game description for Phantasmaraneae, Bayonetta's arachnid summon, implies that it is the same species of demon as Phantom from DMC. The character's art is more explicit about the connection: its pose is a precise, though mirrored, copy of Phantom's. Compare: 1 and 2.

There are tons more allusions to DMC, but they're scattered between references to many of Kamiya's and Sega's other works. If anything, this suggests that Bayonetta exists in a universe prone to varying degrees of overlap with other fictional worlds.

Fimbulvetr said:
At least 3 other boss tracks were better.

In The Choice Between Good And Evil won out because the piano parts are awesome as hell.
Meh, I love the regal organ that comes in near the middle of The Greatest Jubilee. That and the choir give the piece a hymnal quality that distinguishes it from the other orchestral boss themes. I can't get enough.

JEKKI

omg fukk the first alfenheim room in chapter 9!!!!

I spent over an hour and a half trying to beat it, and by beat it I mean get pure plat...

it's the one where u hafta fight out of body... I swear the game is so cheap on that one!!

and by the time I finally beat it, I win with a gold medal on combo despite the fact that I was rolling 9.9 multiplier!!!

t(-_-t)

so I get a regular platinum medal, continue the stage, and then Im being chased by like a boulder or something...

I get hit by it, get knocked off the road, and a snake eats me...

so now after all that effort I hafta start the stage over and do it again >_< :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Fighting the 3 Grace and Glory dudes on hard in the highway at the beginning of Route 666 was fuckin tough. Definitely the hardest thing I've had to do in this game and I've made it to chapter 13 or so on hard. It felt good to take those bastards down. It's funny cuz I was just at Gamestop for the ME2 launch and some doofus was trashing Bayonetta for being "too easy". I asked him if he played it on the harder difficulties...he didn't.

goldenpp72

bathala said:
stupid animal form.

Now every time I try to dodge, i turn to a friggin panther.

can't the taunt button multi-task. geez

you're not supposed to button mash, i've never turned into the panther on accident.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I had a problem with it at first, early on I tended to go apeshit on the dodge button when the action got to hectic but I adjusted to it and it doesn't happen anymore. You'll just have to train yourself to space out dodges enough to avoid triggering panther, count 2 seconds between presses.

ZeroRay

Beat the game a few hours ago.

HOLY SHIT doesn't begin to describe the last 5 chapters of the game. The only parts I didn't like were the old school homages which just went on too long.

Bayonetta has the best end credits of all time
I stood there for 10 seconds when Bayo was fighting Jeanne 1 during the credits not knowing if I should pick up the controller or not, I almost beat her too before time ran out. Jeanne 3, The water Angel guy, Jeanne 4, Father Baldur and Jubileus are the best boss fights this gen and they all happened to follow each other consecutively.

And I found that Bayonetta more brutal than Kratos; the way she tears apart and humiliates her enemies is just sick.

Top Bottom