• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

mfalcao2k1

Neo Member
That
Father Balder bullet thing was really easy the first time i did it, after so many QTE on the cut scenes i learned to always stay alert and expect the unexpected from Bayonetta. As soon as the bullet appeared, i instinctively tried to steer it and it worked and dodging the debris is really easy

It was a cool and easy minigame

Rektash

viewtiful_dru said:
Funny how all of the people that complain about the game also suck at it.

Well the game certainly DOES suck at teaching you how to play it properly. Took me 4 hours to grasp the concept behind the fighting. Now its a smooth ride.

viewtiful_dru said:
My good friend finally decided to give this game a shot after how much I was gushing over it, and he thinks the game is cheap lol. And he played NG2, but I never heard him complain about the onslaught of rocket ninjas. I unfortunately do think that people have trouble appreciating Bayonetta due to their "lack of skills" or whatever you want to call it. I just feel like an ass telling people that they can't appreciate the game cuz they suck at it, despite it probably being the truth.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm not particularly amazing at action games like this and Devil May Cry, but I had no problems getting a grip on the combat and overcoming most obstacles. The checkpoint system is also incredibly generous in case you do mess up. Thrown in a dodge with a generous number of frames of invulnerability and Witch Time, and you've got an incredibly approachable yet still hardcore action game.

At least on the default normal difficulty, the game's much easier than DMC or NG at comparable difficulty levels. IMHO, of course.

Llyranor

I found the Alfheims (on hard) taught me more about the game mechanics than any other fights. They've also taken me the longest to get through (even though they're usually about 5 min long, some of them have taken me over an hour to beat - and I've been loving every second of it, given how I've actually been feeling my skills improving as I go through them, rather than just feeling as though the game is cheap or unfair). Being forced to pull off witch time/NOT using witch time (and using that item that deals magic damage if you dodge)/parries/dodge offsets/learning how to make more efficient use of weapons and combos - against enemies I wouldn't normally use them on (or where it would be particularly difficult to do so) - has made me much more familiar with the combat mechanics. Now I can run circles around groups of enemies that were giving me a whole lot of trouble on my first playthrough on their own. I love the dance of death as I'm dashing around and nullifying all their attacks with parry/bat within now. Such a sense of satisfaction. One thing I'm still not very good at is dodge offset, but I'm getting there.

Also, the very limited lives and time limit add to the pressure, which is great.

I mean, one of them was
staying in the air
for 30 secs. I remember doing that one in normal, and it was ridiculously easy
with the whip
. Then on hard, they put in one of those freaking
dogs, which can't grapple with the whip
. I can't believe I managed to find a way through that one. Yeesh!

Mejilan said:
I'm not particularly amazing at action games like this and Devil May Cry, but I had no problems getting a grip on the combat and overcoming most obstacles. The checkpoint system is also incredibly generous in case you do mess up. Thrown in a dodge with a generous number of frames of invulnerability and Witch Time, and you've got an incredibly approachable yet still hardcore action game.

At least on the default normal difficulty, the game's much easier than DMC or NG at comparable difficulty levels. IMHO, of course.
No man, I totally agree with what you said. The game panders to today's gaming crowd, which makes completion of the game very feasible for everyone. I remember how much I struggled to complete DMC3, which made it that much more satisfying when I did. But Bayonetta was enjoyable because it wasn't nearly as frustrating. And yet people still complain about it kicking their ass.

It just gets frustrating when people start ripping on a game that I see as being so brilliant because they don't understand the true depth and amazing control the game offers. I guess I can only speak about the friends that I know are like this, but even on GAF there seems to be similar people.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Scythesurge said:
No man, I totally agree with what you said. The game panders to today's gaming crowd, which makes completion of the game very feasible for everyone. I remember how much I struggled to complete DMC3, which made it that much more satisfying when I did. But Bayonetta was enjoyable because it wasn't nearly as frustrating. And yet people still complain about it kicking their ass.

It just gets frustrating when people start ripping on a game that I see as being so brilliant because they don't understand the true depth and amazing control the game offers. I guess I can only speak about the friends that I know are like this, but even on GAF there seems to be similar people.

And there's still Easy Automatic for the really sucky people. :)
Edit - Oh, and Beginner!

Daigoro

Llyranor said:
I mean, one of them was
staying in the air
for 30 secs. I remember doing that one in normal, and it was ridiculously easy
with the whip
. Then on hard, they put in one of those freaking
dogs, which can't grapple with the whip
. I can't believe I managed to find a way through that one. Yeesh!

how the hell...? :lol

Llyranor

Daigoro said:
how the hell...? :lol
I know, right?
I found out you could grapple them either in witch time (and can't anymore once it runs out, so bad idea) or when you've broken off all their armor. I did the latter and proceeded to keep whipping it up as a jump boost, along with a mix of circle-P shooting (which keeps me immobile) and flying around as a crow. Easier said than done :( Also had to be careful not to kill the electrical dog with the circle-shooting, otherwise it'd spawn in a fire dog which would knock me off the air with a fireball. It's also annoying when they jump up in the air and bite you. Heh

pmj

Checkpoint abusing and replaying boring chapters to get to 02:56:49, all for an accessory I'll never use. Now to get the skates, and then onto Hard mode!

And Bayonetta is definitely cheap at times, especially with the QTEs and attacks that come right after a cutscene, more or less forcing you to spam dodge as they end.

jetsetfluken said:
So can anyone confirm the effects that the Climax Ring has on your rankings/medals earned? (obviously when you get it through the Phone code)

If you equip it for even a second, you get no chapter score or trophy, which means you can't save your results either.

Daigoro

Llyranor said:
I know, right?
I found out you could grapple them either in witch time (and can't anymore once it runs out, so bad idea) or when you've broken off all their armor. I did the latter and proceeded to keep whipping it up as a jump boost, along with a mix of circle-P shooting (which keeps me immobile) and flying around as a crow. Easier said than done :( Also had to be careful not to kill the electrical dog with the circle-shooting, otherwise it'd spawn in a fire dog which would knock me off the air with a fireball. It's also annoying when they jump up in the air and bite you. Heh

damn. that sounds rough.

these things can be complicated and take many tries to figure out. they certainly help you nail down the gameplay though.

im almost done with all of the Alfheims on Normal, got a few more to do. then i guess its back to Hard to finish collecting items and crows. im about 6 chapters in on Climax, hasnt been too hard so far, so ill keep working on that.

lots left to do. not to mention platinums, of which i have very few. (im able to get them easily enough on Normal and Hard now, but i havent played full chapters for score in a while now).

Monocle

Scythesurge said:
My good friend finally decided to give this game a shot after how much I was gushing over it, and he thinks the game is cheap lol. And he played NG2, but I never heard him complain about the onslaught of rocket ninjas. I unfortunately do think that people have trouble appreciating Bayonetta due to their "lack of skills" or whatever you want to call it. I just feel like an ass telling people that they can't appreciate the game cuz they suck at it, despite it probably being the truth.
There are tactful ways to do it. Say something like, "It's all about practice. This game grows a lot more fun as you learn the ins and outs of its combat system."

I've noticed that new players are sometimes slow to grasp the importance of evasion in Bayonetta. You might have more success keeping your friend interested if you illustrate how the game rewards dodge –> punish patterns as opposed to relentless attacking.

jkoch

mjemirzian said:
The trailer should have shown taking on 3x gracious and glorious on climax, or 2x jeanne, or some difficult alfheim, something with dodge and parry skills, gaze of despair equipped, etc. Any one of those would have been ok, and still impressive. Instead it's just a bunch of angels getting whuuped, which is cool to watch, but 99% of players want to beat the game in the simplest, easiest way possible (note the very very popular usage of cheat codes and kilgore glitch). Flashy combos are functionally useless to the majority of players seeking guidance.

That's ok. The majority of useful info is already in english for free.

Anyway, new vids up. Guide can also now be found permanently here:
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/bayonetta_b.txt

Chapter VI: The Gates of Paradise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At0WCkCVhAI&fmt=22
Chapter VII: The Cardinal Virtue of Temperance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZXwbCPbUB8&fmt=22

Just uploaded, 720p will not be available for an hour or two from this post.

Great play in the vids, and I really find your guide useful. Thanks a lot!

I'm still importing the official guide from the UK though.

Pyrokai

Okay, so, I decided against going through all 130 pages of this thread just to find out something, and I hope you can understand. Buuuut..... I really want this game but I want it for PS3, and I was just wondering if anyone who owns the PS3 version can deny or confirm just how "horrible" the port is actually supposed to be.

nodish2

Banned
Pyrokai said:
Okay, so, I decided against going through all 130 pages of this thread just to find out something, and I hope you can understand. Buuuut..... I really want this game but I want it for PS3, and I was just wondering if anyone who owns the PS3 version can deny or confirm just how "horrible" the port is actually supposed to be.

It's fine after the patch, so get it.

I don't know if I would say it's "fine", because there are still some pretty insane framerate drops and slowdown, and they do affect gameplay.

Bayonetta is an amazing game but the port is very bad. If the only reason you want it for PS3 is because of the controller or something, just get it for 360, but even if you only have a PS3 and never plan to get a 360, you shouldn't miss out.

G-Fex

I played yesterday up to the city with the ghost...whatever it's called.

I like it, at least the fighting anyways. I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this but I don't like the story or characters. So gameplay's the only thing I enjoy. I'm probably going to skip the cinematics from now on.

Llyranor

G-Fex said:

I like it, at least the fighting anyways. I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this but I don't like the story or characters. So gameplay's the only thing I enjoy. I'm probably going to skip the cinematics from now on.
Go right ahead, the combat mechanics are what make the game.

So I'm up to Gates of Paradise chapter, can't remember the chapter numbering.

I suck at this game, and as such, aren't enjoying it as much as people say they are. Note that I'm not faulting the game.

It's weird because I've had no problems with DMC and NG. I mean, I beat DMC1's Dante Must Die mode too. But for some reason, I just can't get the hang of this game - I mean, I lose almost an entire health bar in one fight. There's something seriously wrong with that, and I can't put a finger on it.

Any tips?

G-Fex

radiantdreamer said:

I suck at this game, and as such, aren't enjoying it as much as people say they are. Note that I'm not faulting the game.

It's weird because I've had no problems with DMC and NG. I mean, I beat DMC1's Dante Must Die mode too. But for some reason, I just can't get the hang of this game - I mean, I lose almost an entire health bar in one fight. There's something seriously wrong with that, and I can't put a finger on it.

Any tips?

Me too, I...don't know. Maybe just get better at this.

I got somewhat good at Resistance 1, then I'm laughing and breezing through part 2 and have become better overall at other FPS's from playing through such a tough game.

iammeiam

radiantdreamer said:

Any tips?

Are you using any accessories? Getting the hang of dodge/activating With Time is pretty vital; it makes learning the various combos way easier. There's an accessory that activates Witch Time when you get hit, which can be a needed mid-battle bailout. The parry accessory is also damned useful, since it adds a non-Witch-Time defensive element to the game. Once you get a feel for the enemies, it's easier to fight them without the aiding accessories, but those two things are probably the only reason I ever got familiar enough with Grace and Glory to stop dying every time they showed up.

Weapon choice also has a huge impact. I'm partial to the swords/skates combo, and wound up using those almost exclusively after getting them.

Pyrokai said:
Dude, it's fine. If you have a PS3 and a 360 then go with the 360. But since you'll never see it on a 360 you'll never know the difference.

G-Fex said:

You won't take any flac for that. The story is horrific. It is just a thin excuse to string levels together.

NG28

radiantdreamer said:

Any tips?

I had the opposite experience to yours. I beat both DMC3 and NG but couldn't play them on anything above normal because I was too terrible. I just finished infinite climax and didn't think it was too hard.

As for tips I would say learn how to dodge offset

radiantdreamer said:

Any tips?

Buy the bat within technique from Rodin, it helps a lot with dodging.

The Selene's light accessory is good for people having trouble(but it still requires you have tome sort of magic to power it.

Tommie Hu$tle said:
You won't take any flac for that. The story is horrific. It is just a thin excuse to string levels together.

Especially any non-comedy/action cutscene involving Luka: "Hey guys did I mention that my dad is dead?*has flashback sequence* Wanna watch that flashback again? Because I don't mind showing it in every other cutscene."

viewtiful_dru said:

Hope nobody misunderstood this, I was referring to the people that criticize the game, saying that its flawed, when it is their own fault that they are having a hard time. Generally speaking, the game is really fair (I can only count the few instances where the camera fucked me over on one hand, and those QTEs are terrible), and most of what happens to you is your own damn fault.

I have nothing against people that aren't good at action games (because at some point or another, everyone was a newbie) or have a hard time adjusting to some of the mechanics. Just don't blame the game for your shortcomings.

Daigoro

beat all of the Alfheims the other day. that was fun.

i thought it would help me find my remaining chests/resting paces, but im still short. i must need like 1 or 2 max. grrr. no idea where to look.

i have the one behind the sun wall, behind the breakable rocks, and the alfheim ones. any other really hard to find chests. ive found all of the obvious and most of the semi hidden ones, so its got to be something dumb.

hm.

Canova

Banned
viewtiful_dru said:
Hope nobody misunderstood this, I was referring to the people that criticize the game, saying that its flawed, when it is their own fault that they are having a hard time. Generally speaking, the game is really fair (I can only count the few instances where the camera fucked me over on one hand, and those QTEs are terrible), and most of what happens to you is your own damn fault.

I have nothing against people that aren't good at action games (because at some point or another, everyone was a newbie) or have a hard time adjusting to some of the mechanics. Just don't blame the game for your shortcomings.

I finished the game. The game is not hard, and on the majority it's fair.

BUT

The game has major flaws.

1. QTE. Since when pure-beat-em-up action has QTE, and tons of it?!?

2. Huge-gigantic bosses. Doesn't he know that huge-gigantic bosses is so outdated. Figthing human-size bosses is so much more fun. Less pattern, free movement, high replay value. In this game we only have Jeanne as the human-size boss, and one angelic near-end boss. In the meantime we have 5 huge lame-ass boss to fight multiple times

3. Bike & Missile riding, WTF is this shit?

4. In my previous rant, I mentioned long, obnoxious, annoying cutscenes. Because of them, I was forced to skip them all, and now I finished the game not knowing what the heck the story is about. Why is it developer feel that they have to have all these over-the-top cutscenes?! Just go to the damn point, already.

canova said:
I finished the game. The game is not hard, and on the majority it's fair.

BUT

The game has major flaws.

1. QTE. Since when pure-beat-em-up action has QTE, and tons of it?!?

2. Huge-gigantic bosses. Doesn't the industry know that huge-gigantic bosses are so outdated. Figthing human-size bosses is so much more fun. Less pattern, free movement, high replay value. In this game we only have Jeanne as the human-size boss, and one angelic near-end boss. In the meantime we have 5 huge lame-ass boss to fight multiple times

3. Bike & Missile riding, WTF is this shit?

4. In my previous rant, I mentioned long, obnoxious, annoying cutscenes. Because of them, I was forced to skip them all, and now I finished the game not knowing what the heck the story is about. Why is it developer feel that they have to have all these over-the-top cutscenes?! Just go to the damn point, already.

1) True.

2) I fixed it for you, but I agree.

3) They weren't bad(okay the missile spinning the entire screen just to dodge was fucking annoying) they just went on too long.

4) The story in this game is pretty much an excuse to go places and blow shit up. Just don't bother, the only good cutscenes are the action and comedy ones anyway. The reason the cutscenes are over the top is because that's what they're supposed to be, dumb and entertaining(well, the non-serious ones anyway).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Hard mode isn't as tough as I expected. Outside of a few boss battles, I'm pretty much flying through it.

Oh and the QTE's are definitely cheap and I don't see how anyone can argue that. Especially during fights when your hands and mind are busy with the fight going on only for some bullshit prompt to come up and give you 1 second to respond.

Chamber said:
Hard mode isn't as tough as I expected. Outside of a few boss battles, I'm pretty much flying through it.

Oh and the QTE's are definitely cheap and I don't see how anyone can argue that. Especially during fights when your hands and mind are busy with the fight going on only for some bullshit prompt to come up and give you 1 second to respond.
The prompts are almost always YB (or triangle/circle, I guess). Monster Weave attacks always mash X, cutscene QTEs are always X. The YB (boss QTEs) ones always, regardless of difficulty, start out with a three second window. If they're the kind you bat back and forth Zelda-style, the window gets smaller each time but the button combination never changes.

Every boss has a massive wind up before the QTE starts. The only one that kind of doesn't is Jeanne IV, so I guess if you're kind of not paying attention to her and practicing crow mode off in the corner of the arena, I can see how you'd miss the giant missile coming at you.

radiantdreamer said:

Any tips?

Learn to dodge first and foremost. Just remember you can dodge at any time. You can cancel out of any move or combination with dodge so keep your finger on the right trigger.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
ShockingAlberto said:
The prompts are almost always YB (or triangle/circle, I guess). Monster Weave attacks always mash X, cutscene QTEs are always X. The YB (boss QTEs) ones always, regardless of difficulty, start out with a three second window. If they're the kind you bat back and forth Zelda-style, the window gets smaller each time but the button combination never changes.

Every boss has a massive wind up before the QTE starts. The only one that kind of doesn't is Jeanne IV, so I guess if you're kind of not paying attention to her and practicing crow mode off in the corner of the arena, I can see how you'd miss the giant missile coming at you.
Obviously, if you've played the game enough to memorize every QTE it isn't a problem for you. That goes without saying.

Canova

Banned
radiantdreamer said:

Any tips?

1. Dodging at the right moment is the theme of the game, so if you master it, you're set.

2. You didn't happen to equip Gaze of Despair accessory, did you? That was my mistake. I equipped that, and the claw monsters wiped me off the floor. I was stuck in one battle for 20 minutes, couldn't figure it out why the hell I couldn't beat these fuckers :lol

Top Bottom