• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Chamber said:
Obviously, if you've played the game enough to memorize every QTE it isn't a problem for you. That goes without saying.
What? The QTE is always the same for all bosses.

You don't have to memorize that. You just need to, like, notice it once. On a single boss. Ever.

iammeiam said:
Are you using any accessories? Getting the hang of dodge/activating With Time is pretty vital; it makes learning the various combos way easier. There's an accessory that activates Witch Time when you get hit, which can be a needed mid-battle bailout. The parry accessory is also damned useful, since it adds a non-Witch-Time defensive element to the game. Once you get a feel for the enemies, it's easier to fight them without the aiding accessories, but those two things are probably the only reason I ever got familiar enough with Grace and Glory to stop dying every time they showed up.

Weapon choice also has a huge impact. I'm partial to the swords/skates combo, and wound up using those almost exclusively after getting them.

Up to this point, I still haven't been able to afford any accessories. I got Gold in the first few chapters, but after Grace and Glory were introduced, I've been getting Stone statues since. o_O

Been just dodging stuff manually. I think the problem is that my combos get interrupted by unsuspecting hits. In DMC, Dante's sword attacks are somewhat AOE, and every hit stuns, where in Bayonetta, not all her attacks stun, and her range seems shorter, so she's still open to getting hit.

It looks like I'm also not using her dodge offset enough, and holding the button down to shoot also is good. Did a lot better against enemies with those two things.

Just finished Chapter 6, and I think I missed one of the pieces of LP for the Odette. Might have to go back and find it.

Fimbulvetr said:
Buy the bat within technique from Rodin, it helps a lot with dodging.

The Selene's light accessory is good for people having trouble(but it still requires you have tome sort of magic to power it.

Bat Within just opened up. Bought it right away. Pretty darn useful when you mistime your dodges! :D

I was miffed at first that I lose MP every time I got hit, but after seeing some of those unreal combo videos, and how quickly MP builds up from it, I can see why.

It looks like I've still got a lot to learn in mastering the combos. PKP spam, PPPKK spam doesn't cut it either. :p

Chamber

love on your sleeve
ShockingAlberto said:

You don't have to memorize that. You just need to, like, notice it once. On a single boss. Ever.
I don't think QTE complaints stem from which buttons to press but rather not knowing when one is going to "randomly" happen. Yes, there are often audio and visual cues but that isn't knowledge you have on the first playthrough. It's very annoying to beat a boss and then die because you didn't realize you had to press square at a certain point.

Chamber said:
I don't think QTE complaints stem from which buttons to press but rather not knowing when one is going to "randomly" happen. Yes, there are often audio and visual cues but that isn't knowledge you have on the first playthrough. It's very annoying to beat a boss and then die because you didn't realize you had to press square at a certain point.
What situation is there when you beat a boss and then have to press Square? That describes Ninja Gaiden 2, not Bayonetta.

Like 90% of the boss QTEs are optional, anyway. I think the only ones that aren't are ones where a cutscene starts beforehand and the boss tosses something large at you. In which case there's a ten second wind up time and it uses the same buttons in uses in every boss fight. The only other one, I guess, is from the Chapter 7 boss, who punches you when you've done enough damage and you QTE to get up his arm. But the punch, like, slows down and actually stops before it hits you. And even if you somehow don't need the QTE window, you can actually dodge the attack with the dodge button and not take any damage.

Which is kind of the point. The QTE does more damage, but it either has an excessively long wind up time or is completely dodgeable. My biggest complaint with the QTEs in the game is that they're too easy. The justification for them being there is just because they wanted to show cool things, but didn't want the player to lose to them.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
ShockingAlberto said:
What situation is there when you beat a boss and then have to press Square? That describes Ninja Gaiden 2, not Bayonetta.
Chapter 2 against Fortitudo.

ShockingAlberto said:
Like 90% of the boss QTEs are optional, anyway. I think the only ones that aren't are ones where a cutscene starts beforehand and the boss tosses something large at you. In which case there's a ten second wind up time and it uses the same buttons in uses in every boss fight. The only other one, I guess, is from the Chapter 7 boss, who punches you when you've done enough damage and you QTE to get up his arm. But the punch, like, slows down and actually stops before it hits you. And even if you somehow don't need the QTE window, you can actually dodge the attack with the dodge button and not take any damage.

Which is kind of the point. The QTE does more damage, but it either has an excessively long wind up time or is completely dodgeable. My biggest complaint with the QTEs in the game is that they're too easy. The justification for them being there is just because they wanted to show cool things, but didn't want the player to lose to them.
Can we just agree to disagree? You're talking about 10 second windows so I'm pretty sure this conversation is going nowhere.

Macmanus

In the "Darksiders selling poorly" thread all of GAF seemed to assume that this meant Bayonetta would do worse.

Apparently the collective group forgot that tits = $$$. Tack on a really fucking good game to a solid rack, and you've got yourself a winner.

Eteric Rice

Brought this game to a vg party me and my friends have on Wednesdays to show it to em.

I think I sold it to like 3 people. :lol

Platinum needs to hire me as their advertising guy.

twenty1

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Brought this game to a vg party me and my friends have on Wednesdays to show it to em.

I think I sold it to like 3 people. :lol

You did right!!!..........Platinum selling a million........living up to it's name going Platinum!!!

Chamber said:

You must be talking about God of War! :lol

fernoca

Yay! a million..was expecting liek half of that..in a year. :D

I did my part too, bought it day one..then recommended it and showed it to 3 of my friends..and they bought it too.

Can't wait for #2.

twenty1

Banned
fernoca said:
Yay! a million..was expecting liek half of that..in a year. :D

I did my part too, bought it day one..then recommended it and showed it to 3 of my friends..and they bought it too.

Can't wait for #2.

thats right!

I was actually kind of surprised when I realized that (actual post-game spoilers)
Father Rodin's one-hit kill attack is basically him raping Bayonetta.
I was always defending the game's humor for being out there more than it is actually offensive, but that might have been going a little far.

Not saying I was offended by it, but it is kind of messed up.

fernoca

nilbog21 said:
is 1 million a lot? i thought mario kart wii had like 25 million?
For a new franchise it is...especially in around 2 months of sales....even more when bigger games/names recently has done less and in around the same timeframe.

goldenpp72

a million isn't bad for a game like bayonetta, probably over 40 million profit. I doubt it costed nearly that much, graphics and music aside, the cutscene budget must have been low.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
My tiny heart just grew three sizes at the news. Everyone thought it'd be a bomba. Here's hoping Kamiya actually gets to work on the sequel and works on both platforms.

Glad I bought this last weekend.. honestly though I'm pretty crap at it, doing things like getting smacked down by just standing there.. >_>

I played it for the past 2 hours though and I at least feel like I'm getting better.... and for some strange reason this makes me want to go back and play Bujingai, yes Bujingai. You can make fun of me all you want, but I loved that game.

NG28

After two and a half hours of trying I finally beat Rodin. I got him down to one hit with a whole bar of my health left and thought I had it in the bag. Then he caught me with the combo where he knocks you in the air but I got out of it with a tiny bit of health and finished him off. It was so nerve racking but satisfying. I've been playing this game 6 hours straight finishing alfheims and fighting rodin. I wanted to try Lost Chapters but I pulled myself away. This game is way too much fun.

joesmokey

Finally beat Bayonetta! I've been playing it off and on since it came out, but I took advantage of being stuck inside with the snow and played it through.

Such an awesome game, I had a lot of fun with this one. The combat was so fluid and it's awesome how easily you can change up your play style. I'm definitely glad I saw this game all the way through though. At first the style was a bit too over-the-top for my tastes, but finishing the game out I have to say it's actually grown on me (there are still many cringe-worthy parts though). The story was a fun ride to follow and I'm actually tempted to play back and give the Alfheim's a decent shot.

pmj

ShockingAlberto said:

Having a QTE memorized doesn't change it from a problem to a non-problem. They can still kill you in the cheapest of ways, and even with a finger on the right button and expecting it, I find the button mashing ones to be too difficult to trust to my thumb. What I have to do to reliably pass those, especially the multi-part mashing ones, is to put the controller down and use my index finger.

There's also a rocket dodge QTE during a Jeanne fignt that's over in a tiny amount of time. Luckily, this one QTE isn't mandatory and can be skipped if you perform a regular dodge, something which took me a bunch of deaths to figure out.

Another notably bad QTE are the ones on the floating platforms during the last boss, because you may have to move a bit before they appear, but if you move when the prompt is on the screen it might disappear, making you jump instead of performing the QTE if you are unlucky and the prompt went away as you pushed the button and then not have enough time to leave the platform before it's destroyed. It's enough to make me never want to play that boss again.

Ristlager

Just started playing this game and finished chapter one. And I have probably played for 10-14 minutes and watch really shitty cutscenes for over one hour. Is it going to get better, or am I just not right for this game. So far I think the fighting lacks all of the style and coolness that DMC1 and 3 had, and the cutscenes are far worse than I thougt, and I am really easy to please, and almost likes everything.

pmj

Ristlager said:
Just started playing this game and finished chapter one. And I have probably played for 10-14 minutes and watch really shitty cutscenes for over one hour. Is it going to get better, or am I just not right for this game. So far I think the fighting lacks all of the style and coolness that DMC1 and 3 had, and the cutscenes are far worse than I thougt, and I am really easy to please, and almost likes everything.
It gets better in that the cutscenes are spaced further apart, but it also gets worse in that the story presented in them get progressively dumber. It's well worth it to stick it out for the gameplay, and if the cutscenes get too much for you, don't feel bad about skipping them. There's nothing to miss, really.

Just finished it today and I have to say its one of the best games ive played in years, Bayonetta herself is such a funny camp character shes so over the top ive never laughed so much playing a game. The oneliners where painfully funny ''how is is you say in the US bust a cap in yo ass (insert english accent here). Heres hoping for part 2.

Monocle

RZI said:
Thank goodness. For nearly a year I had a simmering worry that a combination of bad marketing and the public's adverse reaction to Bayonetta's bizarre art style would cause the game to flop. Kamiya and PlatinumGames' bold originality and excellence in design warranted a proper reward, and now they've received it.

For a new IP so oblique to mainstream tastes, over 1 million sales is damn good.

Just bought this on the cheap on the PS3 and i'm really enjoying the graphics, the art design, the characters and the atmosphere of the game, but the combat? Not so much. First let me preface this by saying I suck at 3rd person action games, I completed Ninja Gaiden: Black after a lot of swearing and broken controllers, but every other example of the genre has left me wanting. Bayonetta seems little different in that respect - while Ninja Gaiden compelled me to see it through to completion, it was largely thanks to the fantastic combat engine. Once mastered I always felt like it was possible to see my way through any situation, but if I failed I intrinsically knew it to be my fault alone and not the fault of the engine, the camera or any cheap sections of gameplay. In Bayonetta I feel like i've come to grips with the combat, but no matter the effort I put in I just can't master the dodging. There's always too much going on screen at once and the game seems so damn unforgiving with health drops in short supply and enemies doing large amounts of damage with every attack I fail to dodge, it's making progress incredibly hard for me. I'm hoping I can get by without too much frustration, but unless the combat suddenly clicks with me I can't see myself completing the game in the face of such stiff opposition. So yeah, fantastic premise and execution, but clearly this is a game geared entirely towards the elitist end of the 3rd person action scale.

pmj said:
Having a QTE memorized doesn't change it from a problem to a non-problem. They can still kill you in the cheapest of ways, and even with a finger on the right button and expecting it, I find the button mashing ones to be too difficult to trust to my thumb. What I have to do to reliably pass those, especially the multi-part mashing ones, is to put the controller down and use my index finger.

There's also a rocket dodge QTE during a Jeanne fignt that's over in a tiny amount of time. Luckily, this one QTE isn't mandatory and can be skipped if you perform a regular dodge, something which took me a bunch of deaths to figure out.

Another notably bad QTE are the ones on the floating platforms during the last boss, because you may have to move a bit before they appear, but if you move when the prompt is on the screen it might disappear, making you jump instead of performing the QTE if you are unlucky and the prompt went away as you pushed the button and then not have enough time to leave the platform before it's destroyed. It's enough to make me never want to play that boss again.

Yeah, any QTE that features the "Jump" action during a boss is sketchy. I was fighting
Jubileus during the lightning round, and the platforms kept getting destroyed with Bayonetta failing to jump to the next rock

NG28 said:
After two and a half hours of trying I finally beat Rodin. I got him down to one hit with a whole bar of my health left and thought I had it in the bag. Then he caught me with the combo where he knocks you in the air but I got out of it with a tiny bit of health and finished him off. It was so nerve racking but satisfying. I've been playing this game 6 hours straight finishing alfheims and fighting rodin. I wanted to try Lost Chapters but I pulled myself away. This game is way too much fun.[/QUOTE

Wait.. you have to fight Rodin later in the game?! Spoiler tag man, spoiler... :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's not a story fight, it's an optional bonus mission, of sorts. it isn't really a spoiler, so don't get too upset.

Railer

Picked this up 2 days ago and been playing a shitton, it's an awesome game. Playing through normal, and while it's hard at times i still get through the game without a problem and I'm up to chapter x atm.

Some things annoy me though, like the QTE's, oh and how every time there's a cut-scene before a boss, it just throws you right into the combat, usually with the boss already hitting you and that pisses me off some times cause often i take a hit just because the cut-scene abruptly ended and i had like 0.1s to dodge or i'd get hit.

But god damn, the action is so amazing. Back to the game i go.

twenty1

Banned
Monocle said:
Thank goodness. For nearly a year I had a simmering worry that a combination of bad marketing and the public's adverse reaction to Bayonetta's bizarre art style would cause the game to flop. Kamiya and PlatinumGames' bold originality and excellence in design warranted a proper reward, and now they've received it.

For a new IP so oblique to mainstream tastes, over 1 million sales is damn good.

It doesn't have a bizarre ART style.

I know you meant something else

Monocle

Bootaaay said:
Just bought this on the cheap on the PS3 and i'm really enjoying the graphics, the art design, the characters and the atmosphere of the game, but the combat? Not so much. First let me preface this by saying I suck at 3rd person action games, I completed Ninja Gaiden: Black after a lot of swearing and broken controllers, but every other example of the genre has left me wanting. Bayonetta seems little different in that respect - while Ninja Gaiden compelled me to see it through to completion, it was largely thanks to the fantastic combat engine. Once mastered I always felt like it was possible to see my way through any situation, but if I failed I intrinsically knew it to be my fault alone and not the fault of the engine, the camera or any cheap sections of gameplay. In Bayonetta I feel like i've come to grips with the combat, but no matter the effort I put in I just can't master the dodging. There's always too much going on screen at once and the game seems so damn unforgiving with health drops in short supply and enemies doing large amounts of damage with every attack I fail to dodge, it's making progress incredibly hard for me. I'm hoping I can get by without too much frustration, but unless the combat suddenly clicks with me I can't see myself completing the game in the face of such stiff opposition. So yeah, fantastic premise and execution, but clearly this is a game geared entirely towards the elitist end of the 3rd person action scale.
If the game is overwhelming you, familiarize yourself with manageable chunks of it until you're able to keep track of everything at once. Start by practicing Bayonetta's attacks until you can clearly identify their visual effects. Get used to the controls in a quiet and open place like the Chapter 1 train station or courtyard, or the load screen practice menu (press Select to stay there for as long as you want). You should learn a few simple combos like PKP and PPKP. Also note that nearly any animation can be interrupted by dodging or jumping. This is key, because it means you'll rarely be locked into any one action.

You should also get comfortable with two basic combat features: attack charging and dodge offset. Any attack can be charged by holding down its button. This will allow you to deal extra damage and tweak the timing of your attacks. Dodge offset is performed by starting a combo, holding an attack button while dodging, then finishing the combo. (try P K (hold then dodge) P) This allows you to avoid damage and activate Witch Time without interrupting your offensive flow. If you press and hold an attack button and dodge in rapid succession, you'll cancel the attack with an evasive flip, and, as with the previous variation of dodge offset, you can resume your combo afterward. With the right timing, it is possible to unleash combo finishers (Wicked Weaves—the huge kicks and punches) without having to perform the lead-up attacks. For example: P (hold then immediately dodge), K (hold then immediately dodge), P will look like two evasive flips and a Wicked Weave.

One you're fairly confident that you understand Bayonetta's controls, isolate individual enemies by killing the rest, and study their attack effects and patterns. Pay special attention to visual and aural cues; there are a pair of these for every attack in the game. Gradually move on to controlled encounters with two enemies, then three. Bayonetta is generous with its continues, so you don't have to worry about dying. Ignore your post-mission score. It's nothing more than a needless distraction on your first playthrough. And remember that you can replay any previously completed mission as many times as you want by pressing R1 on the pre-mission menu and choosing Chapter Select.

Stick with Bayonetta and I think you'll find it to be a lot more fun than your first impression has led you to believe.

twenty1 said:
It doesn't have a bizarre ART style.

I know you meant something else
Do tell. I said what I meant and I meant what I said: the visual design of Bayonetta's assets is, in fact, bizarre by any typical standard.

twenty1

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
Very pleased Bayonetta has made money. The Clover curse is finally broken :D

Well it just take gamers to be open minded thats all.......stop buying these formulaic games....ex. FPS this....FPS that.

We want creative and/or innovative fun titles Clover/Platinum has BEEN doing that.

It also helped that a Clover/Platinum game of worth was advertised properly as well. Loads of TV ads with the La Roux track had the correct effect. What a surprise!

Bootaaay said:
In Bayonetta I feel like i've come to grips with the combat, but no matter the effort I put in I just can't master the dodging. There's always too much going on screen at once and the game seems so damn unforgiving with health drops in short supply and enemies doing large amounts of damage with every attack I fail to dodge, it's making progress incredibly hard for me.
the thing is you really can't say that say you've learned the combat untill you master dodging, it's the very core of the system. visually the game gets little bit too busy at times but it's hardly unfair/cheap if ever. try to concentrate on the audio/visual clues the game gives you before the enemies attack. once you nail down dodging properly you will be able to see your way through any situation with ease & style. alafheims are great places to study enemy attack patterns.

Top Bottom