• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
jkoch said:
I don't know. I cancelled my import preorder yesterday since I'm not sure if I'll still be interested if/when it comes out.

I e-mailed Future Press yesterday, they said they are currently being made, & will be released either Friday or Monday.

SmokyDave

mjemirzian said:
They should allow button reconfigs. On the xbox 360 version, I don't like the twitch-sensitive dodge button forced to the mushy right trigger.
Agreed. On the PS3 version I constantly found myself wanting to remap Square, Triangle and Circle. It's such a simple thing to include customisable controls, I just don't understand games that don't bother.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just started playing this after picking it up over the weekend.

My first question: is the opening gameplay segment supposed to make any sense? :lol

Edit: I love the controls. They're surprisingly intuitive.

Minamu

SmokyDave said:
Agreed. On the PS3 version I constantly found myself wanting to remap Square, Triangle and Circle. It's such a simple thing to include customisable controls, I just don't understand games that don't bother.
I think it has to do with quality control & time. Imagine playtesting the entire game with every possible button configuration to scan the game for glitches. I wouldn't want to do that. That's A LOT of different possible combinations if any button can be assigned to any function. Mostly likely the reason why so few games even bother with different set configs these days.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
JaseC said:
Edit: I love the controls. They're surprisingly intuitive.

Agreed, I want every game to have this control scheme, including totally unrelated ones like Demon's Souls.

R2 to dodge is the most natural thing in the world for me. GoW feels absolutely archaic in comparison.

I thought I was too late because I didn't enter until 2/1 and the contest started on 1/5 :lol but yeah I got a few days ago. According to the order number, I think I was 378 out of the 500. Maybe you could still get in on it. :p

Scarborough_Fair_Front_Red.jpg

My shirt has arrived in america so my friend will be forwarding it onto me shortly. Really cool thing of Penny-Arcade to do, makes me feel like I'm part of some special Bayonetta club now :D

Been listening to the soundtrack while I'm away for the weekend, so many great tracks, the best always coming from Jeanne encounters

F#A#Oo

Banned
Is there a big difference between PS3 and 360 versions?

I went into my games store today and was about to buy the PS3 version as it's my main console of choice but the sales guy told me the PS3 version is a crap port of the 360...I have a 360 but I prefer the DS3 controller...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
F#A#Oo said:

Honestly if you have both, get the 360 version without hesitating. The controller is just not a big enough reason.

I only have a PS3 and the game is still awesome, but the differences are obvious.

Zertez

F#A#Oo said:

I went into my games store today and was about to buy the PS3 version as it's my main console of choice but the sales guy told me the PS3 version is a crap port of the 360...I have a 360 but I prefer the DS3 controller...
Bayonettas controls are setup for playing on a 360 controller.

Curufinwe

SmokyDave said:

It's unacceptable to not let us change the controls to they way we want them. Kamiya's own Devil May Cry let you do that in 2001.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Oh man, I want to finish this game so badly but the final boss really pissed me off. I'm tempted to go into Very Easy mode and I've been playing on Normal throughout the whole game. I don't want to fuck up my Achievements by finishing the game on Very Easy, unless it doesn't count that.

border

The final boss isn't that bad at all. I was far more frustrated by the final Jeanne encounter, which seriously limits your Witch Time capabilities and has checkpoints that are few and far between.

Learn the attacks and patterns.....go Dog Form to jump around and avoid the whirlpools/sucking vortex.

The final boss was extremely annoying for me the first time, because I'd get caught up fighting the flying heads and she'd pull that one-hit kill attack.

On later playthroughs, I didn't bother with the heads.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
border said:
The final boss isn't that bad at all. I was far more frustrated by the final Jeanne encounter, which seriously limits your Witch Time capabilities and has checkpoints that are few and far between.

Learn the attacks and patterns.....go Dog Form to jump around and avoid the whirlpools/sucking vortex.

I thought it was a panther.

ShockingAlberto said:
The final boss was extremely annoying for me the first time, because I'd get caught up fighting the flying heads and she'd pull that one-hit kill attack.

On later playthroughs, I didn't bother with the heads.

Honestly, I forgot the flying heads were even there after the first time I noticed them. They barely do anything if you are moving.

The final boss feels like a pushover to me compared to the Joys, Gracious and Glorious, and some of the Jeanne fights, more so on higher difficulties. The only things to REALLY worry about are the black holes, and the whirlpool things.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Zertez said:
Bayonettas controls are setup for playing on a 360 controller.

I don't know what that means. The controls are flawless on the PS3. If the performance was the same between the two there wouldn't be a difference between them.

border said:

What?

Jeanne - Final is the best boss in the game,
though I still haven't faced Rodin.

Cmagus

man finished this game last night in one long sitting lol.I was totally blown away by this game.I seriously have not been this entertained in a long time with a game.Sure it was cheesy as hell but man like every boss, every action scene was just so epic and exciting.

I also gotta say the music is fantastic I never thought I would want to listen to fly me to the moon but my god it just fits so well in this game.I also thought the character interactions were great especially between Cereza and Bayonetta they were always good for some laughs.

In my books God of War 3 better be epic cause to me its got alot of proving to me over this game in the action department.

Hawkian said:
I don't know what that means. The controls are flawless on the PS3. If the performance was the same between the two there wouldn't be a difference between them.
He means the game was designed with the 360 controller in mind. Since it was (obviously) the lead platform.

Aaron

Why the hell is up/down inverted on the space harrier section? I have a huge headache from constantly evading and flipping the screen to get past it since I couldn't control the damned thing. This is a great game overall, but it has a few too many of these very irritating decisions. The instant death quicktime events are probably the worst. If you don't know they're coming, there goes your score.

goldenpp72

Aaron said:
Why the hell is up/down inverted on the space harrier section? I have a huge headache from constantly evading and flipping the screen to get past it since I couldn't control the damned thing. This is a great game overall, but it has a few too many of these very irritating decisions. The instant death quicktime events are probably the worst. If you don't know they're coming, there goes your score.

I keep hearing this but I don't understand, when I hit up she goes up..

Slurmer

Banned
Platinum :D

Great game, I may play through normal a few more times to unlock some things, but not much more past that. Normal/Hard is much more fun than IC mode to me..I missed witch time.

Worst parts of the game are Chapter 14's first two verses...and Kinships, by a longshot.

Squadron

Banned
I finished bayonetta a little while ago and started going through my second playthru on hard

whats up with the difficulty in the first level while your fighting on the plane and your supposed to get 3 torture attacks...i can barely land 2, it feels like witchtime isnt even on.

Squadron said:
I finished bayonetta a little while ago and started going through my second playthru on hard

whats up with the difficulty in the first level while your fighting on the plane and your supposed to get 3 torture attacks...i can barely land 2, it feels like witchtime isnt even on.

Use the default pistols BEFORE you get to that section to build up lots of magic, and you can do 3 torture attacks within like 40 seconds.

PS, go get a FULL magic bar if you haven't yet.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Alx said:
What's that move with the rocket launcher that makes her fly towards the enemy ? It looks similar to an afterburner kick, but with a bettter range (and I don't thing the AB Kick would have worked in the same situation)
That's just the towards+B technique isn't it? You can purchase it from the store. Like towards+Y but better range (and with your feet weapon obviously).

That combo vid is insane. It'll be fun trying some of that stuff once I've got me 1000 gamer points - only game on 360 so far where I've endeavoured to try this! Just gotta finish on Infinite Climax mode and I'm done :D

Alx said:
What's that move with the rocket launcher that makes her fly towards the enemy ? It looks similar to an afterburner kick, but with a bettter range (and I don't thing the AB Kick would have worked in the same situation)

I think that's the Lock on + forward punch move you're referring to with the rockets.

nilbog21

Banned
any US users want to buy Bayonetta (PS3) for 42$?

i posted in the officie buy/sell/thread but every page gets spammed by the same ppl

anyway, pm me

SmokyDave

I finally finished this at the weekend (part backlog, part being crap at the game) and I think I'm starting to 'get it'. I'm going to go through again on normal and try out some of the accessories and then if I still have enthusiasm, again on hard. Although I'm really glad I got this finished and didn't drop the difficulty, that last boss was shit. I haven't fought such a frustrating boss since KOF98.
She
just seemed merciless and certain attacks felt nigh on unavoidable. I'm sure on my next playthrough I'll be dancing around slapping the shit out of the boss with ease but on my first playthrough it nearly cost me a DS3.

Dude Abides said:
Everytime I fight Grace and Glory i think of Grits n' Gravy from the world series of dice.
:lol It kept making me think of the last boss music from JSRF.

ACE 1991

Just ordered this game on the cheap. I really enjoyed the demo, but it's a little hard to see what's going on sometimes. Does this get easier as the game goes on?

Aaron

ACE 1991 said:
Just ordered this game on the cheap. I really enjoyed the demo, but it's a little hard to see what's going on sometimes. Does this get easier as the game goes on?
You tune into the visual and audio cues after a while. Also, you can control the camera to limit the enemies you face. Off screen enemies basically don't attack you. This isn't as easy as it sounds. You can also play on easy 'automatic' to get a feel for the game.

HunkyDory

Neo Member
It certainly gets easier as you get used to things, although there will always some instances where you might struggle to keep up.

Gee

nilbog21 said:
any US users want to buy Bayonetta (PS3) for 42$?

i posted in the officie buy/sell/thread but every page gets spammed by the same ppl

anyway, pm me

New is cheaper..

SmokyDave

ACE 1991 said:
This was one of my big problems with Bayonetta but it does get easier the more you get used to the game. There will be instances where the camera causes you to die / take hits and that can be infuriating. I wouldn't let it put you off the game though.

Aaron

SmokyDave said:
This was one of my big problems with Bayonetta but it does get easier the more you get used to the game.
This is true of every action game, even something like Demon's Souls. It's probably impossible for an action game to keep a consistent level of difficulty. The only other solution would be to throw in new mechanics late in the game, which is never a good idea. Bayonetta even does a bit of this, and it's not to its benefit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Aaron said:
This is true of every action game, even something like Demon's Souls. It's probably impossible for an action game to keep a consistent level of difficulty. The only other solution would be to throw in new mechanics late in the game, which is never a good idea. Bayonetta even does a bit of this, and it's not to its benefit.

:lol in Demon's Souls the camera is just another enemy you come to love over time.

I'm enjoying my Hard run much more than my Normal one for sure (definitely love Odette :D missed it first time around), but I have to say that tragically, the PS3 performance issues definitely rear their head more on the upper difficulties. More enemies/effects onscreen make it much more likely the framerate will dip. It really is such a shame.

It hasn't put me off the game or made me regret paying full price, but it is really disappointing.

Filldough

Slurmer said:
Platinum :D

Great game, I may play through normal a few more times to unlock some things, but not much more past that. Normal/Hard is much more fun than IC mode to me..I missed witch time.

Worst parts of the game are Chapter 14's first two verses...and Kinships, by a longshot.

I bow to you. I struggled like you wouldn't believe to beat the game on normal :lol Maybe I'm too old... I had sore hands for like 2 days haha!

SmokyDave said:
This was one of my big problems with Bayonetta but it does get easier the more you get used to the game. There will be instances where the camera causes you to die / take hits and that can be infuriating. I wouldn't let it put you off the game though.

I've never once in 50 hours of gameplay died because of the camera, or an enemy hitting me from offscreen in Bayonetta. I'm not saying it didn't happen to you, but let's not paint a picture that it happens frequently.

I want to jump back into this but there are so many games on the horizon, and with GOW3 coming out, I don't want to feel "restricted" when I get my hands on that :lol I'll definitely come back to it in the coming months though.

Footos22

I picked this up for £17 on saturday
I finished normal by sunday night.
Was fairly easy to be honest just going through a second time on normal trying to find everything, although im getting gold/platinum on all chapters so far my completion time is rocketing :(

Sword plus fire durga feet pretty much = explosions of death

triangle, triangle, triangle, O O hold O
Bang everyone dies and gets thrown across the map.

I thought the ps3 version was pretty well done. although i did install it to the hardrive.
i dreaded buying it and the clock tower bit at the very beginning made me wish i hadnt bothered. But after that first section the game ran quite smoothly with only the odd noticeable drop.

Im well chuffed with this game though
and at £17 i feel like i've robbed them

Top Bottom