• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
De4th Strike said:
I thought the ps3 version was pretty well done. although i did install it to the hardrive.
i dreaded buying it and the clock tower bit at the very beginning made me wish i hadnt bothered. But after that first section the game ran quite smoothly with only the odd noticeable drop.

Agreed, it's ironic that this section runs the worst of any in the game. It's almost like they're prepping you to expect the worst :p

I must say that Hard mode is a much more satisfying (and often frustrating ;)) experience. I wish I had all the weapons unlocked already so that I could focus on figuring out what worked best for me. I know I'm still missing Kilgore...

edit: spent 2 hours on ch. 14 jeanne. Just used a bunch of items when I got too sick of it and had to go to sleep. I'm definitely missing something.

JesseZao

I'm such a noob. Been playing on normal and it took me until the frustration of Section 6 Verse 5
Two sets of claw guys
to realize what the A/B sets were (didn't really look at menus much and thought maybe it was like an Ikaruga thing). I thought I had unlocked weapons previously, but when I saw them in the store I figured I'd have to save up and buy them too. I equipped
the claws and sword
on one set and beat that verse in the next try. Made the game so much more fun. The camera is the only thing that bugs me about the game still.

nib95

Banned
I now have Bayonetta, Bioshock 2 and Heavy Rain all waiting to be played. And should be getting GOW3 sometime soon (as in next week fingers crossed). Tbh, I wasn't a huge fan of the demo, but £17 along with the reviews made it hard not to pick this up.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Oh man, Bayonetta and Heavy Rain are like the perfect one-two punch of the farthest-out outliers this gen.

Just finished all the chapters on Hard with Jeanne. This is close enough to NIC for me, although I've done 3 chapters on that difficulty, and it's pretty similar.

Despite a few flaws in the game, I played the darksider's demo and the combat feeled clunky by comparison. Played the GOW3 demo, and my jaw dropped. I'll be picking that one up for sure.

Rctdaemon

Three playthroughs, 1000 gamerscore, 42 hours of gameplay, and a t-shirt from Penny Arcade later, I think I'm ready to pass my judgment of Bayonetta.

I loved pretty much everything about the game up to NSIC. The countless Joy and Gracious and Glorious battles ruined that for me. It plays really well and has one of the best soundtracks that I've heard in a while. My main quibble with the game outside of NSIC is the fight with
Jubileus at the end. I liked the environmental parts, but that damn black hole is one of the cheapest attacks I've seen in a game. I also didn't like the planets that you have to steer Jubileus past at the end.
Beyond that, though, Bayo was a great game. A lot of the Sega and Kamiya references were clever additions and I thought that Rodin's comment about wanting to be a bald space marine was hilarious.

All in all, I give Bayonetta a 9.5/10 and put it on my list for potential 2010 GOTYs. I can't wait to play what Platinum comes up with next.

Rctdaemon said:
Three playthroughs, 1000 gamerscore, 42 hours of gameplay, and a t-shirt from Penny Arcade later, I think I'm ready to pass my judgment of Bayonetta.

I loved pretty much everything about the game up to NSIC. The countless Joy and Gracious and Glorious battles ruined that for me. It plays really well and has one of the best soundtracks that I've heard in a while. My main quibble with the game outside of NSIC is the fight with
Jubileus at the end. I liked the environmental parts, but that damn black hole is one of the cheapest attacks I've seen in a game. I also didn't like the planets that you have to steer Jubileus past at the end.
Beyond that, though, Bayo was a great game. A lot of the Sega and Kamiya references were clever additions and I thought that Rodin's comment about wanting to be a bald space marine was hilarious.

All in all, I give Bayonetta a 9.5/10 and put it on my list for potential 2010 GOTYs. I can't wait to play what Platinum comes up with next.

Gunchucks >>>>> Gracious and Glourious. Should've used that on them, or unlocked it before you tackled NSIC

Rctdaemon said:

Yeah, I agree with you. The game is meant to have witch time. It allows players to experiment with the combo system. Without it, the gameplay suffers. PKP spam, etc.

palpabl_purpura said:
Yeah, I agree with you. The game is meant to have witch time. It allows players to experiment with the combo system. Without it, the gameplay suffers. PKP spam, etc.

Only if you are bad at dodge offset.

NIN90

You know, I don't think there is any explaination for Dodge Offset in the game.
I only found about it in Kamiyas blog.

Zeliard

D2M15 said:
Oh man, Bayonetta and Heavy Rain are like the perfect one-two punch of the farthest-out outliers this gen.

I have enjoyed (and am continuing to enjoy) both games enormously, and for dramatically different reasons.

NIN90

Are the Bazillions totally overpowered or am I just that awesome?
I'm on my NIC playthrough and even Gracious and Glorious don't pose much of threat anymore.
Only Joys are still annoying on NIC.

mjemirzian said:
Only if you are bad at dodge offset.

PKP is exactly what I'm Dodge offsetting! It's easy to do with high damage, so there's no incentive to do anything else in most instances. Unless there's witch time, then you can be more adventurous.

NIN90 said:
I'm on my NIC playthrough and even Gracious and Glorious don't pose much of threat anymore.

Selene's light is a must against Joys to break their whip, sword, and projectile combos. WT with this device will allow you to escape astronomical damage.

Fugu

palpabl_purpura said:
PKP is exactly what I'm Dodge offsetting! It's easy to do with high damage, so there's no incentive to do anything else in most instances. Unless there's witch time, then you can be more adventurous.
You can also offsett PPKKK for better results. PPPKKK also has its uses because you can offsett out the regular attacks and only keep the AoEs. P.K and K.P can also be offsett to great effectiveness on certain opponents although it's usually more trouble than it's worth. With the bazillions, offsetting any of the four punch combs (PPPPP, PPPPK) and not offsetting moves after you have range to fire a laser is an extremely effective way to beat many opponents. PKP gets out a quick wicked weave but it's terrible for your combo score and the damage isn't what it could be.

EDIT: Am I the only one who finds joys extremely easy?

NIN90 said:
They are pretty easy on Normal and Hard but they are a bitch to kill on NIC because of the lack of WT.
Yeah, they tend to jump away from explosions

I often find Gaze of Despair isn't bad against them. They take more hits, but they're less likely to jump away and pelt you with shit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I recently abandoned Selene's Light for the one that lets you get health back by taunting, in preparation for no witch time (assuming Selene's Light just does nothing on infinite climax?)

I don't know if it has already been discussed (probably it has since it's fucking ridiculous), but the difficulty settings are so fucked up in this game*-*

I played on normal difficulty til chapter 10, then I got frustrated (yeah I suck at action games), so i switched to easy.. and wtf.
Normal felt like "insanely hard" to me, but easy is so easy that is almost embarassing. Never seen anything like that, the difference between normal and easy is like night and day.
On easy I did the part that had brought to rage-change the difficulty setting in two minutes without getting hit even once. I must say that not being able to find the difficulty level that suits m is really destroying my enjoyment of this game (which would be awesome otherwise. The combat is so tight and I love the artstyle and the over the top shit that keeps happening).

NIN90

Mt Heart Attack said:
I don't know if it has already been discussed (probably it has since it's fucking ridiculous), but the difficulty settings are so fucked up in this game*-*

I played on normal difficulty til chapter 10, then I got frustrated (yeah I suck at action games), so i switched to easy.. and wtf.
Normal felt like "insanely hard" to me, but easy is so easy that is almost embarassing. Never seen anything like that, the difference between normal and easy is like night and day.
On easy I did the part that had brought to rage-change the difficulty setting in two minutes without getting hit even once. I must say that not being able to find the difficulty level that suits m is really destroying my enjoyment of this game (which would be awesome otherwise. The combat is so tight and I love the artstyle and the over the top shit that keeps happening).

What's exactly giving you problems on chapter 10? The game has some difficulty spikes but there are tricks to most of them.

NIN90 said:
What's exactly giving you problems on chapter 10? The game has some difficulty spikes but there are tricks to most of them.
Two golden tiger-like angels that I had never seen before. But it's not specifically chapter 10 that was giving me troubles, I just had kept dying over and over since the beginning of the game:lol
What happened on chapter 10 is that I mistakenly chose "no" insted of "yes" on the death screen.. I would had to start over the chapter so I basically said "fuck this" and switched to easy.

NIN90

Mt Heart Attack said:
Two golden tiger-like angels that I had never seen before. But it's not specifically chapter 10 that was giving me troubles, I just had kept dying over and over since the beginning of the game:lol
What happened on chapter 10 is that I mistakenly chose "no" insted of "yes" on the death screen.. I would had to start over the chapter so I basically said "fuck this" and switched to easy.

Those are Gracious and Glorious, arguably the hardest enemies in the entire game.
There 2 things you can do against them:

1. Get the Evil Rosary Harvest accessory (it's 200k halos) and use it against them. It does ridiculous aomounts of damage of damage for basically doing nothing.
2. Equip guns to your hand and feet and hold P or K and dodge like mad. This way you can do tons of damage over time.

And if you want a bit more challenge on Easy, then you can try the Gaze of Despair (it auto-enrages all enemies thus making them a bit more powerful).

NIN90 said:
And if you want a bit more challenge on Easy, then you can try the Gaze of Despair (it auto-enrages all enemies thus making them a bit more powerful).
Thanks, I'll try that:D
I think I will deal with the normal difficulty after I beat the game on easy.
Still, I can't figure out how they could screw up the balancing of the difficulty levels so badly. It's crazy.

Mt Heart Attack said:
Still, I can't figure out how they could screw up the balancing of the difficulty levels so badly. It's crazy.

I don't think the difficulty is "screwed up." Many people in this very thread actually thought normal was fairly easy. The enemies you're talking about are probably the hardest enemies in the game, especially before you learn how to deal with them.

bry-bry

Mt Heart Attack said:

The balance is so off because the game is on Automatic by default on Easy and Very Easy modes. Go into the equipment menu and unequip the accessory in the bottom third slot, the Immortal Marionette IIRC.

Net_Wrecker said:
I don't think the difficulty is "screwed up." Many people in this very thread actually thought normal was fairly easy. The enemies you're talking about are probably the hardest enemies in the game, especially before you learn how to deal with them.
Well I already admitted that I'm not that good at action games so.. I have no problem with the normal difficulty being that hard (hard for me of course), the easiest difficulties are there to be used and I'm not ashamed of doing thatxD
My complaints were in fact about the easy difficulty, which is the closest one to normal, being so goddamn easy. The difference between the damage, both inflicted and taken, on the easy and normal difficulty level is just.. staggering.

bry-bry said:
The balance is so off because the game is on Automatic by default on Easy and Very Easy modes. Go into the equipment menu and unequip the accessory in the bottom third slot, the Immortal Marionette IIRC.
Oh thanks, I was wondering what that automatic thing was about.

Mt Heart Attack said:
Well I already admitted that I'm not that good at action games so.. I have no problem with the normal difficulty being that hard (hard for me of course), the easiest difficulties are there to be used and I'm not ashamed of doing thatxD
My complaints were in fact about the easy difficulty, which is the closest one to normal, being so goddamn easy. The difference between the damage, both inflicted and taken, on the easy and normal difficulty level is just.. staggering.

Ahhhhh, I was thinking that you meant normal was unfairly balanced which isn't the case from my experience. Once you learn how to deal with Gracious and Glorious in particular the rest of the enemies seem more "normal."

bry-bry

Mt Heart Attack said:
Oh thanks, I was wondering what that automatic thing was about.

Yeah, this game does a really good job of explaining as little as possible to the player. The game manual doesn't help much either.

Net_Wrecker said:
Ahhhhh, I was thinking that you meant normal was unfairly balanced which isn't the case from my experience. Once you learn how to deal with Gracious and Glorious in particular the rest of the enemies seem more "normal."
You must excuse my terrible way of expressing myself in the English languagexD

bry-bry said:
Yeah, this game does a really good job of explaining as little as possible to the player. The game manual doesn't help much either.
Yeah I noticed that:D

NIN90 said:

Bazillions are just awesome, normally Grace/Gracious and Glory/Glorious try to block bullets and whatnot but that trick doesn't exactly work with lasers.

I started playing again so I can go for the Climax Bracelet and the Sai Fung. They really should have reduced the criteria for the latter to 50 missions. :/

One day I'll return to this game, but I found ultimate climax mode to be pretty disheartening. I just despise how the game makes witch time it's focal point, only to strip the player of it almost completely in it's hardest mode. it feels like such a cop out and meant the hardest mode was about as difficult as dmc3 on normal.

In retrospect I'd really of liked them to add a consequence to Witch mode rather than take it away; say having one or a few stupidly difficult enemies appear when you activate (maybe changing depending on the level) it but in turn massively increasing the combo multiplier you can get.

As it is the game is still massively fun to play, the combo system leaves the player to pick apart weaker enemies as he deems fit in a completely enjoyable manner. The whip and elemental effects in particular are my favourite new addition to the genera. However whilst in regards to presentation it's makes huge leap and bounds in comparison to it's Japanese competition (It apes from God of War in the most wonderful way: Licking bosses into suns? Yes please) it's gamely system falls short of the class based customisation of DMC3/4, the focus on defence seen in NG:B or the need to prioritise and dispatch opponents quickly in NG2.

Bayonetta makes leaps and bounds on the presentation that Japanese action titles were lacking, but it looses whilst maintaining the solid combat that they're renowned for. However I feel it looses the intricacies that makes them so special in the process. With that said beating Robin within a weak of the games release is probably my proudest achievement of the generation.

Spirit of Jazz said:
One day I'll return to this game, but I found ultimate climax mode to be pretty disheartening. I just despise how the game makes witch time it's focal point, only to strip the player of it almost completely in it's hardest mode. it feels like such a cop out and meant the hardest mode was about as difficult as dmc3 on normal.

In retrospect I'd really of liked them to add a consequence to Witch mode rather than take it away; say having one or a few stupidly difficult enemies appear when you activate (maybe changing depending on the level) it but in turn massively increasing the combo multiplier you can get.

As it is the game is still massively fun to play, the combo system leaves the player to pick apart weaker enemies as he deems fit in a completely enjoyable manner. The whip and elemental effects in particular are my favourite new addition to the genera. However whilst in regards to presentation it's makes huge leap and bounds in comparison to it's Japanese competition (It apes from God of War in the most wonderful way: Licking bosses into suns? Yes please) it's gamely system falls short of the class based customisation of DMC3/4, the focus on defence seen in NG:B or the need to prioritise and dispatch opponents quickly in NG2.

Bayonetta makes leaps and bounds on the presentation that Japanese action titles were lacking, but it looses whilst maintaining the solid combat that they're renowned for. However I feel it looses the intricacies that makes them so special in the process. With that said beating Robin within a weak of the games release is probably my proudest achievement of the generation.

Yeah, I know what you mean. WT should never have been removed. Yet, I've been playing ALOT as Jeanne (cause she's got more swagger than Bayo). It's made me such a better player with Bayo because Jeanne can only activate WT or beads through the bat within and she takes twice as much damage per hit as Bayo. As a consellation, you get infinite dodge and stronger weaves. Now, whenever I go back to Bayo, the game is SO much easier.

I finally got 1000/1000 Gamerscore and have been playing as LKZ. I'm such a glutton for punishment playing as him. Normal mode feels like NSIC in hell T_T

Despite what everyone is saying, I actually enjoyed the lack of Witch Time and even equip Evil Harvest Rosary on all other difficulties. WT really babies you and playing without makes the game way more intense and enjoyable.

If nothing else, it makes you learn how to dodge better.

Man, the Bayonetta figs look amazingly poseable. Gonna have to try and scrape some funds together for one of em, even though I want both..

bhc1sx.jpg

vobsbl.jpg

xnrygw.jpg

292qnvd.jpg

v6rfit.jpg

Do want.

PSGames

Ok just started this game. And on the 3rd stage now. I've come across a challenge where I need to stay in the air for 20 seconds. How do I accomplish this??

Edit: ok I got it. Just used the sword and keep jumping off the enemies.

I can't believe some of the hate this game is getting. Has anyone checked this out?

http://www.gamearena.com.au/xbox360/games/title/bayonetta/reviews.php?id=5050252

I can't actually believe I'm giving this guy some free publicity, but he goes so far as to say that the combat is unparallelled, but gives the game 5/10? Doesn't make sense. He's not the only nut. Over on the IGN boards (big suprise), there are comments referring to the main character as a slut, etc. I don't get all the hate. People need to get lives. Sorry for the rant.

And yes, I enjoyed the Bayo demo more than the GOW3 one (but still loved it). . There I said it!

palpabl_purpura said:
I can't believe some of the hate this game is getting. Has anyone checked this out?

http://www.gamearena.com.au/xbox360/games/title/bayonetta/reviews.php?id=5050252

I can't actually believe I'm giving this guy some free publicity, but he goes so far as to say that the combat is unparallelled, but gives the game 5/10? Doesn't make sense. He's not the only nut. Over on the IGN boards (big suprise), there are comments referring to the main character as a slut, etc. I don't get all the hate. People need to get lives. Sorry for the rant.

And yes, I enjoyed the Bayo demo more than the GOW3 one (but still loved it). . There I said it!

Haters gonna hate...

Bayonetta = my current GOTY and I highly doubt anything will remove it from that spot.

Net_Wrecker said:
Haters gonna hate...

Bayonetta = my current GOTY and I highly doubt anythign will remove it from that spot.

yeah, me too. I've pumped some major hours into this game. It's a loaded year though with GOW3, FF13, SSF4, mass effect, etc. Here's hoping for Bayonetta 2 in 2011.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Beat Jubileus on my 3rd try on hard (+ one life stupidly lost during the "guide into the Sun" stuff)... significantly improved since normal. I still made it through the whole game with only Durga, Shuraba, and Kushedra.

EDIT: Oh and Odette, how could I forget my favorite :L

EDIT: Oh! Do you get bazillions just for beating hard? Awesome!!

EDIT: :lol

I now see how ridiculous everyone complaining about the lack of witch time in infinite climax actually is...

This is the real game. Witch Time is there on the lower difficulties for you to have as a crutch and learn the deep mechanics without as much pressure. It's a remarkable sense of difficulty scale few games can compete with.

edit: I am using the Evil Harvest Rosary, which is similar in that dodging has an added bonus. But this isn't one of the accessories which negates your score, right?

I'm finally starting to click with my weapons of choice and dodge offset. I hate that there are still multiple weapons I have yet to find and try!! SO much stuff in this game.

Hawkian said:
Beat Jubileus on my 3rd try on hard (+ one life stupidly lost during the "guide into the Sun" stuff)... significantly improved since normal. I still made it through the whole game with only Durga, Shuraba, and Kushedra.

EDIT: Oh and Odette, how could I forget my favorite :L

EDIT: Oh! Do you get bazillions just for beating hard? Awesome!!

EDIT: :lol

I now see how ridiculous everyone complaining about the lack of witch time in infinite climax actually is...

This is the real game. Witch Time is there on the lower difficulties for you to have as a crutch and learn the deep mechanics without as much pressure. It's a remarkable sense of difficulty scale few games can compete with.

edit: I am using the Evil Harvest Rosary, which is similar in that dodging has an added bonus. But this isn't one of the accessories which negates your score, right?

I'm finally starting to click with my weapons of choice and dodge offset. I hate that there are still multiple weapons I have yet to find and try!! SO much stuff in this game.

A quote from Chapter II Verse 2.5 "Witch time, the true essence of power of the Umbran Witch." If you aren't using WT, then you're a scrub. Not you personally, but the character, Bayonetta; and I know she's no scrub.:D

Top Bottom