• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Minamu said:
Can you make the very suggestive pose she makes when she summons the black & white goddess at the final boss? :D
Not to get all serious with Bayonetta's lore, but why is it black and white? Did Jeanne help her with that summon, or is it supposed to be possible because of Bayonetta's lineage?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
palpabl_purpura said:
A quote from Chapter II Verse 2.5 "Witch time, the true essence of power of the Umbran Witch." If you aren't using WT, then you're a scrub. Not you personally, but the character, Bayonetta; and I know she's no scrub.:D

Assuming from the fact that you're able to quote Bayonetta chapter and verse (hilarious btw) that you've played the game through multiple times, you'll know that she still uses Witch Time extremely frequently when necessary to make inhuman jumps, dodge incredible explosions with fractions of a second to spare, or even the odds of an incredibly imbalanced fight, even on infinite climax.

Simply dispatching angels demands no additional trickery of an Umbran Witch.

EDIT: ^I thought that was Jeanne helping out. She's obviously nearby.

Dead

well not really...yet
Anyone know if there is an actual artbook planned?

I'd love to see art (concept and otherwise) of all the crazy shit in this game, and maybe even stuff that didn't make it.

Aaron

a Master Ninja said:
Not to get all serious with Bayonetta's lore, but why is it black and white? Did Jeanne help her with that summon, or is it supposed to be possible because of Bayonetta's lineage?
I thought it was clearly Jeanne helping since all of her weaves are white.

PS -- Witch Time is definitely training wheels mode. If you avoid using it, you'll end up much better at combat.

ACE 1991

Played about an hour of the game, loving it so far. Despite the absolutely silly story, the actual characters and voice acting are both surprisingly well done. I legitimately laughed out loud at Bayonetta's line "What is it the Americans say? I'll have to bust a cap in yo' ass." :lol

Rctdaemon

ACE 1991 said:
So, I'm stuck at the part where you have to perform the 6 torture attacks. Any tips?
Assuming you're referring to one of the Alfheims:
1) Find all of the moon pearls that you can beforehand to increase your magic bar.
2) Attack the larger angels to build up your magic, then TA the smaller ones.
3) If you're not playing on NSIC, don't hesitate to use Witch Time.

Aaron

ACE 1991 said:
So, I'm stuck at the part where you have to perform the 6 torture attacks. Any tips?
Taunting is the quickest way to fill up your magic. So taunt until they get close, dodge, and taunt again until you can torture them.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
i just statred on Hard today

Jeanne fight#1 is just insane, i can barely get one combo in, she ummm.....mashes out moves right in the middle of my combo strings, shit is annoying

Don't hit her with combo strings beside the one that involves sweep kicks (I think the combo is pppkp). Instead, use Dodge Offset to Wicked Weave her. Timing the PKP so that the WW hits her while she's doing an aerial attack works well.

With all the flaming enemies, Graces and Glories, and Jeanne, it seems like the harder modes steer you away from just hitting enemies with combos.

Footos22

Finished on hard :)

after going through normal and getting an overall gold on my first try
i got a silver overall on hard and didnt find it that bad, it was a decent challenge and was actually a lot more fun

I love fighting 3 joys at once its just insane.
Just got infinite climax to go then platinum no.6!

I've just gotten to chapter 3, it's a little bit harder but i'm matching my statues from hard so far. The good old fire durga on the feet and pillow talk for the hands pppk hold kick still works wonders. i think its actually a game breaker the damage the large exploding skull does (kills small angels in one hit/takes about 1/2 off of the larger ones) is just stupid.

ACE 1991 said:

Use ppppk and then dodge before the Wicked Weave.

Don't get hit, ever.

And, if you can afford it, buy the parry accessory; every successful parry gives you one piece of magic.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Don't hit her with combo strings beside the one that involves sweep kicks (I think the combo is pppkp). Instead, use Dodge Offset to Wicked Weave her. Timing the PKP so that the WW hits her while she's doing an aerial attack works well.

With all the flaming enemies, Graces and Glories, and Jeanne, it seems like the harder modes steer you away from just hitting enemies with combos.
thx, i was starting to realize that before i stopped playing.

yea Grace and Glory are really annoying so far

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
De4th Strike said:
Finished on hard :)

after going through normal and getting an overall gold on my first try
i got a silver overall on hard and didnt find it that bad, it was a decent challenge and was actually a lot more fun

I love fighting 3 joys at once its just insane.
Just got infinite climax to go then platinum no.6!

I've just gotten to chapter 3, it's a little bit harder but i'm matching my statues from hard so far. The good old fire durga on the feet and pillow talk for the hands pppk hold kick still works wonders. i think its actually a game breaker the damage the large exploding skull does (kills small angels in one hit/takes about 1/2 off of the larger ones) is just stupid.

I don't understand how you could possibly have done so well on your first tries. Dying five times in a chapter is nothing to me all too frequently and that's a guaranteed stone. I barely use the fire durga though and it does seem a bit overpowered. Where do you get pillow talk?

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwGmtlWB1-g Ah quite helpful. I'm not doing any of the codes :p

I'm loving Bazillions on IC.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'm laaaaaate to the demo party but after much pressure from others I gave in and tried it.

This game seems to move way to fast in battles. I get dodging is supposed to be an important mechanic but neither during the mobs of baddies or one on ones could my eyes get a lock on their attack animations. Prolly didn't help I was mashing away and with all of the special effects and stuff going on it was just to much for me. Never was good at dodging in any game cause I'm to much of a spaz :lol

Maybe will give the full game a try somewhere along the line and if I do I'll prolly start on very easy and work my way up from there e.e;

Lindsay said:
I'm laaaaaate to the demo party but after much pressure from others I gave in and tried it.

This game seems to move way to fast in battles. I get dodging is supposed to be an important mechanic but neither during the mobs of baddies or one on ones could my eyes get a lock on their attack animations. Prolly didn't help I was mashing away and with all of the special effects and stuff going on it was just to much for me. Never was good at dodging in any game cause I'm to much of a spaz :lol

Maybe will give the full game a try somewhere along the line and if I do I'll prolly start on very easy and work my way up from there e.e;

Keep practicing. Pay attention to audio cues as well. Affinity/Applauds will talk before attacking (sounds like "Light be Cast"). BTW, what language do Angels speak?

Hawkian said:
This is the real game. Witch Time is there on the lower difficulties for you to have as a crutch and learn the deep mechanics without as much pressure. It's a remarkable sense of difficulty scale few games can compete with.

edit: I am using the Evil Harvest Rosary, which is similar in that dodging has an added bonus. But this isn't one of the accessories which negates your score, right?

I agree the game is very difficult, but only if you play for Pure Platinum scores. Even then, most of the difficulty is negated with Pulley's Butterfly and to a lesser extent the Harvest Rosary. And the difficulty totally goes out the window if you start cheating with the kilgore glitch.

The Harvest Rosary doesn't negate your score, but it will lower your score because it doesn't give a lot of points for the amount of damage it does. I would have liked to see it do 1/2 or 1/3 its current damage and award no points, and I'd also like to see Pulley's Butterfly considerably nerfed.

dankir

Just beat it on Infinite Climax today... FUCK THIS GAME IS SO FUCKING AWESOME?!@!@?! Wish I had pillow talk when I really needed it lol. How do I fight Rodin or unlock other characters asides from Jeanne?

I can't get how good the music is but the OST is 5 discs?? I just want all those epic chorus soundtracks especially from the final 2 boss battles.

I did a video review with a buddy of mine if anybody wants to see, or check out my homepage.

Aaron

Lindsay said:

Did you try it in easy automatic? I'd suggest playing at this difficulty a while to get used to things, and make sure to make use of the sword. And yeah it's not a game to be mashing away at.

Dead

well not really...yet
Has anyone ordered the Hardcover Guide by Futurepress?

Its finally out (in the UK) and is supposedly pretty awesome (400 pages)

Xx AmAzE xX

Neo Member
Beat it on Normal yesterday, did NOT want it to end. This is the first time that I've ever got into pure action game like this, do you guys recommend any others? DMC4 seems like the next logical progression from this.

Oh and I guess I should point out that I've completely played out both Zone of the Enders games. I guess those qualify as a Bayonetta type game. Speaking of ZOE, WHEN IS THE NEXT ONE COMING??!?!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Xx AmAzE xX said:
Beat it on Normal yesterday, did NOT want it to end.

It isn't over. You still have to do hard and infinite climax.

This is the first time that I've ever got into pure action game like this, do you guys recommend any others? DMC4 seems like the next logical progression from this.

Bayonetta is the king (or queen, rather) of the hill. Every other game you play will seem inferior by comparison. :( But if you absolutely must play another action game, I would recommend Ninja Gaiden Black and Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition.

NIN90

Xx AmAzE xX said:
Beat it on Normal yesterday, did NOT want it to end. This is the first time that I've ever got into pure action game like this, do you guys recommend any others? DMC4 seems like the next logical progression from this.

Oh and I guess I should point out that I've completely played out both Zone of the Enders games. I guess those qualify as a Bayonetta type game. Speaking of ZOE, WHEN IS THE NEXT ONE COMING??!?!

The next logical progression would be Hard and Non-Stop Infinite Climax mode.

If anyone is still looking for the collectors edition of the EU guide Amazon.co.uk have dispatched my copy on Sat morning so the must have just got some stock in.

Rctdaemon

Cerebral Assassin said:
If anyone is still looking for the collectors edition of the EU guide Amazon.co.uk have dispatched my copy on Sat morning so the must have just got some stock in.

There's also a bookstore on the Amazon.com marketplace that is selling them for $20 + shipping. That's where I just ordered mine from.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Fimbulvetr said:
Use the Bazillions.

Yup, that was the ticket. Tap tap hold tap hold tap hold.

The Harmony torture attack is the greatest thing ever btw.

I found a badass way to kill the kinships on Paradiso- Sea of Stars. If you have moon equipped, for some reason you can't parry the missiles, at all, where you start the fight, but if you jump-dodge in the air and make your way over to the floating platform behind them, you can parry the missiles like crazy. Then just equip the katana and Tetsuonoko the crap out of all there without leaving the platform. Delicious!

Footos22

Platinum! Ohhhh Yeaaahhh!!

went through chapters 11 - the end on nsic last night in a hurry as i had final fantasy sat in front of me. But i was determined to be finished with this game before i started it
clocked 24 hours overall.

gracious and glorious were probably the easiest enemies for me later on, one fire durga hit stuns them constantly so was basically hitting them once then holding the kick button, bang. massive chunk of helath gone plus if you can get a sweep in with an extra exploding skull they are pretty much dead.
fire durga feet with shuraba/pillow talk never left me once i found out this combination

The real pains in the ass for me were the flaming dudes with the massive shields.
fuck them until they die from it.

i kept my distance in the end and just kept shooting bazillion lasers through em.

Finished with a bronze overall on nsic
so gold for normal silver for hard and bronze for nsic

makes sense i suppose

I guess the golds i got in the first few chapters linked with the gold i got for the chapter 16boss(the easiest boss in the game) offset the horrendous amounts of stones i had in the longer chapters. Mainly to do with keeping my distance and not keeping my combo up more than dying. I ddi use a crap load of items though
saving the red and yellow lollipops kicked the crap out of the final jeanne fight.

Can't wait for news of a sequel

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
just started getting into this, on Chapter 6... this may be a stupid question, but you always start from the beginning of a chapter right? Just wanna make sure I'm not doing something wrong with load/continue. Don't understand why there's two options.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
IIRC, one option allows you to load as save file of your choosing, the other allows you to load from your most recent checkpoint. That latter will also allow you to resume mid-stage if you quit before completing it. I think.

levious

ah ok, I'll have to figure that out then... chapters are short enough though I guess.

Footos22

Hawkian said:
The whip, though I barely use it otherwise, is pretty awesome on the flaming dudes.

I completely forgot about kulshedra, I Only used it once on the alfheim where you have to stay in the air for an entire min apart from that i forgot it existed, the small flaming angels all ate my firebomb goodness so it was just the shield guys but then again pkp with shuraba did the job in the alfheims so i dunno why i forgot to equip that.

Pillow talk was pretty crap compared to shuraba in my opinion.

100% trophies time was 24:00:40ish
4 playthoughs, 2 on normal and one each on hard and ic.

I think im pretty much done with this game now.
Its definatly not getting traded in, This is one for the collection

This is my post from another thread (no one there seems overly interested). So, Bayonetta fans...what have you heard about Bayonetta's height?

"What creeped me out about Bayonetta was reading several articles that claim she is at least 8 feet tall. I don't know why, but that mental image unsettles me."

levious

she's about the same height as the human male (luka?) in heels so I doubt they intended her to be 8 foot

De4th Strike said:
I completely forgot about kulshedra, I Only used it once on the alfheim where you have to stay in the air for an entire min apart from that i forgot it existed, the small flaming angels all ate my firebomb goodness so it was just the shield guys but then again pkp with shuraba did the job in the alfheims so i dunno why i forgot to equip that.

Pillow talk was pretty crap compared to shuraba in my opinion.

100% trophies time was 24:00:40ish
4 playthoughs, 2 on normal and one each on hard and ic.

I think im pretty much done with this game now.
Its definatly not getting traded in, This is one for the collection

The whip is awesome against regular enemies such as affinities and applauds. Whip hold (holding the triangle button) breaks all super armor. You can jump, whip hold, and bring enemies close to you, therefore isolating opponents when they attack in groups. After I perform a whip hold, I quickly switch to the sword and proceed to combo them to death. Also whip is the best weapon to take out harmonies.

Try this with the whip equipped and killgores on the feet: Jump, whip hold, jump (off head of enemy), whip hold, jump (off enemies head), whip hold. . . . The killgores will discharge, every other time you jump off the enemies head. You can easily do an infinite and will 95% of the time end up safely out of the reach of other attacking opponents.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, I always thought that her proportions were a bit odd, but it's mostly due to stylistic art choices. I never got an in-game hint that she was supposed to be monstrously tall. Not sure where that came from.

Top Bottom