• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
De4th Strike said:
Pillow talk was pretty crap compared to shuraba in my opinion.

Actually it does more damage and grows larger if you do it's charge attack with at least one full bar of magic.

I don't think it can do wicked weaves though.

LiK

Fimbulvetr said:
Actually it does more damage and grows larger if you do it's charge attack with at least one full bar of magic.

I don't think it can do wicked weaves though.
Pillow Talk all charged up is definitley awesome.

For the dodge offset, is it something that I purchase or earn in the game? I'm currently on Chapter 5 and would like to use it, especially against Grace and Glory.

LiK

black_vegeta said:
For the dodge offset, is it something that I purchase or earn in the game? I'm currently on Chapter 5 and would like to use it, especially against Grace and Glory.
It's a default move you can do after you're introduced to Wicked Weaves

LiK said:
Kinda funny how ppl think she's a giant when she's in proportion to all the other characters. It's just a stylistic choice. People were way too critical over nothing.

Still, it would be crazy to imagine her at 8 feet tall. Glad to know that she isn't.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
palpabl_purpura said:
The whip is awesome against regular enemies such as affinities and applauds. Whip hold (holding the triangle button) breaks all super armor. You can jump, whip hold, and bring enemies close to you, therefore isolating opponents when they attack in groups. After I perform a whip hold, I quickly switch to the sword and proceed to combo them to death. Also whip is the best weapon to take out harmonies.

Try this with the whip equipped and killgores on the feet: Jump, whip hold, jump (off head of enemy), whip hold, jump (off enemies head), whip hold. . . . The killgores will discharge, every other time you jump off the enemies head. You can easily do an infinite and will 95% of the time end up safely out of the reach of other attacking opponents.

I do like it's grabbing and movement abilities and the swing move is pretty devastating, I just don't really seem to click with it like I did immediately trying Odette and Bazillions. Pillow Talk definitely interests me a lot though, but I'm getting it from beating NSIC.

EDIT: Whoa, I just missed Kilgore for the 3rd time. Gonna have to go back in and grab that to try out for the rest of NSIC. :D

Ataturk

Yurt said:
I love Ninja gaiden, I HATE dmc, I fucking adore god hand .. is this game for me :D ?
Try the demo if you haven't already. It's a quirky game, challenging but not punishing, probably fairly cheap by now as well.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
darkpaladinmfc said:
Depends what you don't like about DMC.

The combat :(, and the enemies you fight are such a chore to kill.

I hope this doesn't turn into a DMC debate, because really I COMPLETELY understand the love for the franchise.

And thanks Ataturk...oh wait..are you Turkish :D? .. anyway yeah I was gonna download the demo but its too big for my lousy connection.

Ataturk

No, not Turkish, name's related to LiverpoolFC.

Anyway, I've not really played much DMC, so I can't really say how it's different, but enemies die pretty quickly in Bayonetta, if you know what you're doing. Honestly I can't imagine how someone who has loved beat-em-ups in the past could not love this game, especially after dedicating some time to mastering it, so much depth there.

Llyranor

I can only compare to DMC4, but that game felt pretty slow/sluggish compared to Bayonetta. Combat is much more fluid as well, given how agile the Bayo is. Enemies do not survive long if you hit them up properly. Combat encounter pacing is fantastic, and very fast-paced.

I just equipped the Immortal Marionette and the Climax Bracelet at the same time. Holy shit, Infinite Climax Mode plays itself when you combine these two. :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I got Kilgore and like it. I'm not sure if I want to replace Durga on the legs for one of my sets with it or not. It definitely has range in its favor. The PPPKKK combo with Bazillions + Kilgore is pretty devastating. Durga on the feet had a lot of faster moves.

If you're only going to have Kilgore on either hands or feet, which is usually preferable?

Monocle

Hawkian said:
I got Kilgore and like it. I'm not sure if I want to replace Durga on the legs for one of my sets with it or not. It definitely has range in its favor. The PPPKKK combo with Bazillions + Kilgore is pretty devastating. Durga on the feet had a lot of faster moves.

If you're only going to have Kilgore on either hands or feet, which is usually preferable?
Legs, definitely. You'll want your hands free for a faster, more versatile weapons. Kilgore is excellent for support. Charge most of your kicks and you'll rack up damage fast. Then again, once you can afford it you should purchase the second Kilgore set and try quad wielding them. They're slow but really fun. Keep a backup save handy in case you don't want to keep them.

By the way, not that I recommend this, but the Kilgore exploit only works with Kilgore equipped to your feet. In case you haven't heard of it, here's what you do. Equip anything to hands and Durga to feet, and for the other set, anything but Durga to hands and Kilgore to feet. Next, with the first set, perform PPP~K or PPPPK, but just before inputting the K, switch to the Kilgore set, mash the K button, then hold it when the wicked weave comes out. The result? You'll shoot around 30 rockets, making this the most damaging combo in the game by far. It looks as wicked as it sounds. Don't abuse it, though. It's pretty much a win button.

mfalcao2k1

Neo Member
Im now on my climax run, and very close to getting 1000 points for achievements, and all i have to say is what a great ride its been so far, my game of the generation until now, and on the horizon only Last Guardian can take the title away from Bayonetta.

Ps... don't now what other people think but if there is a sequel, don't you guys think it would probably be a prequel ? maybe play the events that occurred 500 years in the past, that is the only possibility for a new game in the franchise that i see happening, the story of present day Bayonetta is pretty much finished and i don't see how it can unfold in the future

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'll try out the glitch for fun, but I'm not really into exploits. :D

EDIT: Thanks for the tips. I think Bazillions + Kilgore is a winning combo for me.

This game has me so scared to get GOW3. I don't think I could sink 80 hours into that game like I sinked it into Bayonetta. All the reviews were excited over GOW3's 4 weapon sets. That's probably because they haven't played Bayonetta; which is a good thing, in a way, it makes the competition less of a disappointment.

teh

Banned
^^^ Damn really 80 hours bro. I dont know of the last SP game Ive put that much time into. I've played to the end of NG, beat DMC4 I think, got pretty far in NG2. I remember the Bayonetta demo was some pretty gnarly shit. Is it worth buying or a renter? Im looking for a very critical opinion from someone whos seen their fair amount of shit in such a cool looking game.

NG28

teh said:
^^^ Damn really 80 hours bro. I dont know of the last SP game Ive put that much time into. I've played to the end of NG, beat DMC4 I think, got pretty far in NG2. I remember the Bayonetta demo was some pretty gnarly shit. Is it worth buying or a renter? Im looking for a very critical opinion from someone whos seen their fair amount of shit in such a cool looking game.

It just depends if you plan on beating it more than once. Bayo has so many extra unlockables that if you buy and plan on beating on multiple difficulties/characters you won't be disappointed. If you only want to play it once then I would just rent.

Filldough

NG28 said:
It just depends if you plan on beating it more than once. Bayo has so many extra unlockables that if you buy and plan on beating on multiple difficulties/characters you won't be disappointed. If you only want to play it once then I would just rent.

Listen to this man. Not only does it have lots of extras/unlockables, the fighting system really does get better/deeper as you learn it which requires multiple play thrus since you cant really unlock any accessories in the first playthru and imo the accessories really change how you play.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The girl in my local game store was like "It's really short, it's only 10 hours," I just smiled and nodded, heh...

In my opinion just seeing the ending is not "beating" this game.

33 hours so far :D

Monocle

Filldough said:
Listen to this man. Not only does it have lots of extras/unlockables, the fighting system really does get better/deeper as you learn it which requires multiple play thrus since you cant really unlock any accessories in the first playthru and imo the accessories really change how you play.
I can vouch for this. If you like your action games with tons of variety and a deep yet accessible combat system, you'll find Bayonetta one of the most replayable titles you've ever tried. It was actually designed to be that way. The game director, Hideki Kamiya, wasn't exaggerating at all when he said all of the DLC you'd expect is already included on the disk. Bayonetta really is an incredible value for action game fans.

And once you've unlocked everything, the real fun starts. The last four weapons and the last accessory you get can change everything. Bayonetta is insane in the best possible way.

Wasn't it said that the combat system in Bayonetta takes 9 months to master? I remember hearing that mentioned in the strategy guide. Listen, there are 12 different weapons that you can use in different combinations (arms and legs). People are hyped about 4 in GOW3. That tells you that the combat in Bayonetta is head and shoulders better than the competition.

NG28

palpabl_purpura said:
Wasn't it said that the combat system in Bayonetta takes 9 months to master? I remember hearing that mentioned in the strategy guide. Listen, there are 12 different weapons that you can use in different combinations (arms and legs). People are hyped about 4 in GOW3. That tells you that the combat in Bayonetta is head and shoulders better than the competition.

Not to mention secret boss weapon is around 10 weapons in one. I love using that thing.

palpabl_purpura said:

It depends what you mean by 'master'. Learning flashy juggle combos against affinities/applauds looks cool and takes a while to learn, but often isn't useful against tougher enemies.

Does 'mastery' also include beating the game without using overpowered things like kilgore glitch, pulley's butterfly, or evil harvest rosary, which makes you rely on dodge offset a lot more?

It's really a subjective term with the amount of options available in the game.

It finally clicked, I got Bayonetta about a week ago and had played one chapter and it was a struggle the whole time. Last night I played for 5 or 6 hours straight and it all just clicked with me and it went from chore to play to an engaging rewarding experience that I'm looking forward to going back to tonight. I still have no clue what techniques or weapons I should buy with the myriad of options available but at least now I'm looking forward to trying them out.

It finally clicked, I got Bayonetta about a week ago and had played one chapter and it was a struggle the whole time. Last night I played for 5 or 6 hours straight and it all just clicked with me and it went from chore to play to an engaging rewarding experience that I'm looking forward to going back to tonight. I still have no clue what techniques or weapons I should buy with the myriad of options available but at least now I'm looking forward to trying them out.

YES. Exactly what I wanted to hear! I've just done chapter 2, and as awesome as the game is, it gets so frustrating due to the fact I have really shit timing at the moment when it comes to evading attacks. But you my good sir, have shown me that it is possible to get good at this game :D

Filldough

pain-giver said:
YES. Exactly what I wanted to hear! I've just done chapter 2, and as awesome as the game is, it gets so frustrating due to the fact I have really shit timing at the moment when it comes to evading attacks. But you my good sir, have shown me that it is possible to get good at this game :D

Dude, I got my ass HANDED to me on Normal, it was pathetic, I questioned my life choices up to that point it was so bad. (my hands hurt so bad I thought I'd drunkenly fingered a robot. Yes sorry, I went there.) I dropped to easy and learned the basics better, beat the game, went to normal and beat the game again. On my hard run now but unlike a lot of games, Bayonetta reveals its depth in a more measured approach. Its almost as if you're meant to struggle with it as part of the learning process. You cant even earn all the items in one or even two playthrus so embrace the struggle. Its worth it imo.

I liked the game for crazy, sexy character design, good core gameplay, the variety of gameplay was also nice (-> flying/racing sections).
However the sudden/unfair QTEs were not that nice and the platforming sections were plain horrible and paired with the bad camera they turned into very frustrating moments. Sadly there were too many of them (like fighting the flying ships while jumping from one to another) and thus this game won't have a special place in my heart (yes, this is my personal review scale...).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It just gets more and more addictive from that point. I can't believe how many weapons there are. :lol

EDIT: ^Weird, I think the camera in Bayonetta is pretty stellar.

I thought the camera was a little suspect at first but that was before I realized I you can center it by pushing in the right stick, now I think it works just fine.

Are there any items, weapons or techniques that are must haves. I'm only on chapter 4 and I'm not sure what to buy next?

the nightman cometh said:
I thought the camera was a little suspect at first but that was before I realized I you can center it by pushing in the right stick, now I think it works just fine.

Are there any items, weapons or techniques that are must haves. I'm only on chapter 4 and I'm not sure what to buy next?

The moon of makalakka (?) and pulley's butterfly. On NSIC Pulley's butterfly is SOOOO good.

Hawkian said:
EDIT: ^Weird, I think the camera in Bayonetta is pretty stellar.
It is when it comes to fights and such. It's pretty good for an action game (maybe even the best ^). But I've had tons of situations where I jumped blindly (in good faith) because I couldn't really see where I was headed or when edges where you couldn't fall from before (invisible walls) suddenly became dangerous.
To me, it would have been a very good game if it wasn't for the platforming.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Was it just me, or did enemies not attack if they were positioned directly behind the camera's view in Normal mode?

Rez said:
Was it just me, or did enemies not attack if they were positioned directly behind the camera's view in Normal mode?

Enemies in any mode will only attack when onscreen('cept the trumpet affinities cannon attack but those are easy to dodge). Though hard and NSIC enemies will attack from the edge of the screen as opposed to getting their entire bodies in.

remz

Fimbulvetr said:
Enemies in any mode will only attack when onscreen('cept the trumpet affinities cannon attack but those are easy to dodge). Though hard and NSIC enemies will attack from the edge of the screen as opposed to getting their entire bodies in.
Probably the best part of the game IMO. Makes it so much less frustrating

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fimbulvetr said:
I thought so. So awesome.

Top Bottom