• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Fimbulvetr said:
Enemies in any mode will only attack when onscreen('cept the trumpet affinities cannon attack but those are easy to dodge). Though hard and NSIC enemies will attack from the edge of the screen as opposed to getting their entire bodies in.

That is some very good design.

The game is almost $30 on ebay. If I can net myself a cheap 360, I am so getting it.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
nilbog21 said:
yo bros i will ship my LIKE-NEW CONDITIONED bayonetta (ps3) for 40$ (shipped). hoLLA~

it was fucking MINT last week, what are you doing with it perv!?

nilbog21 said:
YO HOMIES SELLING MY PS3 COPY 40$ SHIPPED. MINT CONDITION

Today Father Rodin died in a mess of Lt Kilgore glitch fire. I used climax bracelet and pulley's butterfly as my equiped items. Although I pretty much don't want to fight this guy again, are there any other ways to displatch this fool?

NG28

palpabl_purpura said:
Today Father Rodin died in a mess of Lt Kilgore glitch fire. I used climax bracelet and pulley's butterfly as my equiped items. Although I pretty much don't want to fight this guy again, are there any other ways to displatch this fool?

Pillowtalk works well I think.

I just used fire Durga bombs and Shuruba, the sword.

DiddyBop

I got this game near launch, but put it aside because of long load times (PS3) and the slow beginning. But ive recently gotten a bit bored of mw2 and decided to put some time in this game isnce i now had the option to install....holy crap the awesome kept coming and did not stop. such great character and enemy designs, gameplay was so fast and fluid...just too much awesome to discuss.

its a damn shame this gem didnt sell alot, many gamers are missing out. im now preaching to all my friends how completely sick this game is. hopefully it has sold enough for a sequel....my personal GOTY so far, time to see how gow3 compares come tuesday.

DiddyBop said:
I got this game near launch, but put it aside because of long load times (PS3) and the slow beginning. But ive recently gotten a bit bored of mw2 and decided to put some time in this game isnce i now had the option to install....holy crap the awesome kept coming and did not stop. such great character and enemy designs, gameplay was so fast and fluid...just too much awesome to discuss.

its a damn shame this gem didnt sell alot, many gamers are missing out. im now preaching to all my friends how completely sick this game is. hopefully it has sold enough for a sequel....my personal GOTY so far, time to see how gow3 compares come tuesday.

Bayo sold well. Over 1 million copies, which is great for a new ip from a small studio. Better than Killzone 1 or COD1 I believe.

Kreed

palpabl_purpura said:
Bayo sold well. Over 1 million copies, which is great for a new ip from a small studio. Better than Killzone 1 or COD1 I believe.

That's good to hear. I beat Non Stop Infinite Climax today and I'm already looking hoping for a sequel (I still have to play through the game as the other characters and do the Lost Chapter, but I know those will be over before I know it).

Kreed said:
That's good to hear. I beat Non Stop Infinite Climax today and I'm already looking hoping for a sequel (I still have to play through the game as the other characters and do the Lost Chapter, but I know those will be over before I know it).

I'm hoping for a sequel too. Hopefully sometime in 2011. I hate to see Sega involved. Everything they touch turns to crap. Look at what they did to their once proud franchises, such as Golden Axe, Sonic, Knights.

hitsugi

still waiting on this to drop to $30 D: especially since I'm looking for the PS3 version.

guess I've got FFXIII in the meanwhile

Chittagong

Gold Member
Started playing this today. First I was like "hmmm... not feeling this". Then I was like "shit! where did the last 3 hours disappear?!"

Couple of noobie questions

- Can I drop those yellow magic doors / bridges in one go? Takes two jumps usually for me.
- Can I heal myself somehow other than the items bought in the shop?
- What are the blue bubbles under my health bar? They seem to be always full.

You can create healing lolipops in the Item synthesis menu. You need to unlock it first by finding one of Antonio's documents though.

Blue jewels are your magic meter, when full you can use torture attacks on non-boss enemies. Also some techniques and accessories require magic. They increase as you combo enemies but you lose four jewels anytime you're hit.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Fimbulvetr said:
You can create healing lolipops in the Item synthesis menu. You need to unlock it first by finding one of Antonio's documents though.

Blue jewels are your magic meter, when full you can use torture attacks on non-boss enemies. Also some techniques and accessories require magic. They increase as you combo enemies but you lose four jewels anytime you're hit.

Cool thanks. Yeah I saw the synthesis menu and figured it might help. I've got some 20-30 of each element and I can increase the meters by the increments of five and rotate things but not much more. This game doesn't hold your hand exactly :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For healing items just pump up the green and rotate.

Or don't use items and force yourself to improve better (at the expensive of your score :p)

Ataturk

Chittagong said:
Cool thanks. Yeah I saw the synthesis menu and figured it might help. I've got some 20-30 of each element and I can increase the meters by the increments of five and rotate things but not much more. This game doesn't hold your hand exactly :lol
I didn't even realise that stuff was there until my 2nd playthrough.

Chittagong said:

Word of advice, your score is penalized heavily for item use. Even purple items which restore magic will be counted as partial deaths. You have been warned.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh man, the final boss of the game is amazing, three rounds of intense action and huge relief once I finally whacked it...

... until I realized that it was only the last boss of chapters 1-4 out of at least 11 chapters, that is

stone awards ftw!

DiddyBop

another thing about this game that i loved was the checkpoint system. it wasnt frustrating at all and they were all placed in the right places so when you died it didnt become a tedious task to tread through an entire area again. this game was so well thought out and polished.

Minamu

hitsugi said:
still waiting on this to drop to $30 D: especially since I'm looking for the PS3 version.

guess I've got FFXIII in the meanwhile
It was on sale somewhere a while back, but fear not! Both versions are now on sale at www.thehut.com ! Since you're after the PS3 version, it shouldn't be an issue that it's a UK store (just some shipping costs).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Chittagong said:
Oh man, the final boss of the game is amazing, three rounds of intense action and huge relief once I finally whacked it...

... until I realized that it was only the last boss of chapters 1-4 out of at least 11 chapters, that is

stone awards ftw!

I find all the bosses but one to be incredibly satisfying epic battles. I can't wait to be able to put them down confidently like I could the DMC4 bosses.

Oh, and protip: Bazillions plus Kilgore divided by Gracious and Glorious multiplied by Breakdance cubed = piles of glittering halos

Got back to this game after a bit of a hiatus... the secret missions on Hard are kicking my ass (but the normal verses are fine, and thus far has been more fun that my 3 normal runs).

especially that one in chapter 3 where you have to beat the mini-giants that gattai into one huge giant without witch time... needless to say, I now have bat within timing down perfectly

you know what sucks? I got platinum on all the chapters (and PP on all of the boss ones, since they're easy) on Normal to unlock Jeane, since I really wanted to use her, and I forgot that I need to beat the game in under 3 hours to get the bracelet of time. Now I have to redo it and overwrite my platinums... I have the poopie face

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There's an Alfheim where you have to use Witch Time to defeat Jeanne... if you are on NSIC this is impossible. They should have let you use it for the one mission. And even though it's useless to me, I have to keep starting this Jeanne fight behind a bunch of spinning fans that can hurt me on the way. Annoying.

I think those fans can be destroyed from the front with a fire Durga bomb. The blast radius should be wide enough if you charge one of the last hits in a combo (so you get the biggest bomb).

About those Witch Time Alfheims on Climax: do you get WT like normal or can it only be activated with Bat Within timing?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I didn't mean it was very difficult. I meant it was impossible. No witch time. You have to go back and do them in another difficulty.

leng jai

Hmmmm, I want to get this but I'm still deciding on which platform. I generally like to get everything on the PS3 unless its an exclusive. How far have the patching gone on the PS3 version, are they almost comparable now?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nope, not even close, though I have the PS3 version and it's still awesome. If you have the ability, just get the 360 version and don't hesitate.

sh4mike

Received the Future Press Collector's Edition Guide today from Amazon-UK. Absolutely beautiful -- much nicer than the JPN Final Climax guide.

Dead

well not really...yet
sh4mike said:
Received the Future Press Collector's Edition Guide today from Amazon-UK. Absolutely beautiful -- much nicer than the JPN Final Climax guide.
They shipped my copy on the 12th, but they are saying the delivery estimate is the 29th... :(

sh4mike

You're in for a treat. High gloss pages, artwork everywhere, detailed strat for every major encounter, numbers everywhere.

Definitely in my top 5 guides ever -- up with the Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 guides. Not quite there in terms of content, but the finish is superb.

Much like the game -- sexy.

Giolon

sh4mike said:
Ditto. It's got a bookmark in the style of Bayonetta's ribbons! :lol I love it!

There's also an interview w/ some concept art that we've seen from Platinum's website in the back. This is probably the best quality guide I've seen for a game. I can't speak to the usefulness of the contents (given that I've already beat NSC and Platinumed most of Normal), but the presentation is really nice.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Giolon said:

There's also an interview w/ some concept art that we've seen from Platinum's website in the back. This is probably the best quality guide I've seen for a game. I can't speak to the usefulness of the contents (given that I've already beat NSC and Platinumed most of Normal), but the presentation is really nice.

Doesn't it tell you how to get Platinum on NSIC??

Giolon

Hawkian said:
Doesn't it tell you how to get Platinum on NSIC??

*shrug* I don't know. I haven't gone over it in detail. It certainly looked thorough when I thumbed through it before work this morning.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It looks like Platinum forgot completely to set an upper limit for the awesomeness contained in Bayonetta. Just discovered that they even baked in a sort of a miniature Axelay into the game. But holy shit @ checkpoint intervals at that level

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Chittagong said:
It looks like Platinum forgot completely to set an upper limit for the awesomeness contained in Bayonetta. Just discovered that they even baked in a sort of a miniature Axelay into the game. But holy shit @ checkpoint intervals at that level

Think you might mean Space Harrier? ;)

Just beat NSIC. Man, I really need to get rid of all these stone awards. :lol

edit: that's 40 hrs, btw. And I feel like I haven't really scratched the surface here in some ways. I know I still don't have all the weapons.

leng jai

Giolon said:

Sounds sweet. Ordered that guide and the 360 version from Zavvi a few days ago.

Monocle

I've put close to 90 hours into Bayonetta so far and still I'm discovering new things. The latest: Shuraba's and Pillow Talk's max charge (hold the attack button until you get two flashes) can be retained for as long as you're in panther form by keep the attack button held down. You can even jump around. Release the button when you're in a good position and WHAM! Filleted angels straight from the kitty.

Apparently the game treats any period in panther form as a standard dodge, no matter the length of time, which brings dodge offset to a whole new level.

Phantast2k said:
I liked the game for crazy, sexy character design, good core gameplay, the variety of gameplay was also nice (-> flying/racing sections).
However the sudden/unfair QTEs were not that nice and the platforming sections were plain horrible and paired with the bad camera they turned into very frustrating moments. Sadly there were too many of them (like fighting the flying ships while jumping from one to another) and thus this game won't have a special place in my heart (yes, this is my personal review scale...).
The camera is excellent because it keeps track of Bayonetta and nearby opponents with a degree of accuracy you rarely see in action games.

Animal transformations make platforming a breeze. Even Chapter 14's stupid disappearing platforms become child's play if you double jump with the panther then fly the rest of the way with the crow. It's important to remember that the crow can save you from nearly any horribly miscalculated jump, provided you're higher than the platform you want to hit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
LiK said:
Pillow Talk all charged up is definitley awesome.

Just discovered that you could charge up to the first level, dodge offset, charge up to the second level, dodge offset, or even panther form as mentioned above... then unleash hell. Pillow Talk is my new favorite weapon.

EDIT: Just found the "stand still and hold R1" move... mind blown.

Dead

well not really...yet
Still haven't received my guide. I'm starting to get worried that it will be destroyed by the time it gets here after reading some of the posts on the Platinum forums from people who ordered from Amazon UK :lol :(

TreIII

ezekial45 said:
Sega is interested in making a sequel for Bayonetta:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=239624

No small surprise. All things considered, it did do quite well (especially in Japan).

Of course, that still brings to mind what was said here:

According to Kamiya, “We obviously have love for the work we have created, so I don’t see anything wrong with Bayonetta 2. Personally, I’d like to approach the world of Bayonetta from a different angle, in the form of a spin-off.”

- http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/01/21/news-bayonetta-2-practically-confirmed-almost.aspx

Now, if Kamiya gets his way, maybe it may not be Bayo 2 proper (yet). I'd be all for AM2 helping out with that "Umbra Fighter" thing Kamiya talked about on that blog months ago, though. Something like that could be what was the basis for those Lumen v. Umbra Wars that took place in the past, after all...

TreIII said:
- http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/01/21/news-bayonetta-2-practically-confirmed-almost.aspx

Now, if Kamiya gets his way, maybe it may not be Bayo 2 proper (yet). I'd be all for AM2 helping out with that "Umbra Fighter" thing Kamiya talked about on that blog months ago, though. Something like that could be what was the basis for those Lumen v. Umbra Wars that took place in the past, after all...

Those two things or a game with a Lumen lead would be pretty awesome.

Top Bottom