• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Working my way through all the Alfheims on Normal.

The feeling of progression in skill in this game is unmatched in the action genre... Whereas before I simply accepted dying 4 or 5 times a level on my first playthrough as par for the course, on this time around I am truly shocked any time something manages to kill me (and it's usually a QTE :lol)

JesseZao

Hawkian said:
Working my way through all the Alfheims on Normal.

The feeling of progression in skill in this game is unmatched in the action genre... Whereas before I simply accepted dying 4 or 5 times a level on my first playthrough as par for the course, on this time around I am truly shocked any time something manages to kill me (and it's usually a QTE :lol)
Agreed. I think the practice/loading screen helped a ton in my progression. Seeing a zero next to a move drives me to learn it and use it in the next verse. Also I love the feeling of seeing minibosses as trash later on knowing I can crush them now. The turning point for me was the verse that had the two claw guys then immediately spawned two more right after they died. I discovered the different weapons and really started to master the collection of combos and dodge offset.

Morokh

Just finished this, I am really not familiar with the action game genre (only games in the genre I've played are God of War 1/2 ), but i had a blast playing it :D

I may have died more in this game than i ever have in all the games I played in my life put together but hey .. was worth it :lol

And seriously, when you think you reached the most absurd, or awesome moment in the game, they always manage to top it after,
even after the credits :D

It is somewhat annoying when you die in a QTE, or in one of those (too long for my taste) shooter type sequences because you did'nt have a clue of what is going on, and there are some minor camera problems here and there, other than that it is pure awesomeness.

If some of you still hesitate to play this game, just STOP :p it's worth it in every way.

Hawkian said:
Think you might mean Space Harrier? ;)

Just beat NSIC. Man, I really need to get rid of all these stone awards. :lol

edit: that's 40 hrs, btw. And I feel like I haven't really scratched the surface here in some ways. I know I still don't have all the weapons.

Two words- Pulley's butterfly

Hawkian said:
Screw the Kilgore glitch. What does Pulley's Butterfly do? Haven't bought it yet.

Makes three(?) copies of you that follow your every movement.

So every single attack you do becomes three(triple the damage, triple the flinching).

bry-bry

Fimbulvetr said:
Makes three(?) copies of you that follow your every movement.

So every single attack you do becomes three(triple the damage, triple the flinching).

Nope, that's Sergey's Lover. Pulley's Butterfly uses your magic gauge to absorb damage.

Hawkian said:
So Pulley's Butterfly over Evil Harvest Rosary?

Every item has a situation.
I usually play with Mahaa Kaalaa + Gaze of Despair + Pulley's Butterfly.

Sometimes I have to change to Evil Harvest, sometimes I take pulley's butterfly because I don't like it, it really all depends.

Pulley's Butterfly is incredibly effective to the point of being near-broken. The only downside is that sometimes it's easy to lose all of your butterflies and not notice it, but that's probably just me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sohter.Nura said:
Every item has a situation.
I usually play with Mahaa Kaalaa + Gaze of Despair + Pulley's Butterfly.

Sometimes I have to change to Evil Harvest, sometimes I take pulley's butterfly because I don't like it, it really all depends.

How do you get three accessory slots?

Gaze of Despair essentially just makes the game harder, right? :lol

NG28

Hawkian said:

I think the only way to have three accessories equipped is when using the marionette.

Dead

well not really...yet
Finally got my LE Guide. Jesus this thing is MASSIVE. So much info, so much art. Looks just amazing :D

Luckily it wasnt damaged at all despite the moronic DHL delivery guy just throwing the parcel on the pavement several feet away from the door. Ugh.

Aaron

Hawkian said:

Gaze also increases your halo rewards. With it, you can get over a million halos on the chapter 7 boss. Playing through all of easy with Gaze on will earn you a nice pile as well.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Pulley's Butterfly is incredibly effective to the point of being near-broken. The only downside is that sometimes it's easy to lose all of your butterflies and not notice it, but that's probably just me.

For real. I was casually playing NSIC today and got a Pure Plat on Fortitudo. So wrong. :lol

Top 10 overpowered things in Bayonetta

1) Climax Bracelett
2) Pulley's Butterfly
3) Kilgore Glitch
4) Flame Durgas/switch
5) Whip hold and pull
6) Bazillions
7) Rodin (esp flame spin)
8) back, forward + K/instant weaves
9) Rosary Beads
10)Bracelet of time

Honorable mention: breakdance with certain weapons equipped (i.e. Bazillions on hands, Killgores on feet)

thundr51

Maybe i'm using Pulley's butterfly wrong but it doesn't seem to be that broken. It seems like it only takes 1 hit and they're all gone. Also, doesn't it only work as long as you have magic? Maybe I'll try playing with it again tonight.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dead said:
Finally got my LE Guide. Jesus this thing is MASSIVE. So much info, so much art. Looks just amazing :D

Luckily it wasnt damaged at all despite the moronic DHL delivery guy just throwing the parcel on the pavement several feet away from the door. Ugh.
Likewise, mine finally came in last Friday. Awesome guide!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
palpabl_purpura said:

1) Climax Bracelett
2) Pulley's Butterfly
3) Kilgore Glitch
4) Flame Durgas/switch
5) Whip hold and pull
6) Bazillions
9) Rosary Beads
10)Bracelet of time

Honorable mention: breakdance with certain weapons equipped (i.e. Bazillions on hands, Killgores on feet)

Doesn't climax bracelet disqualify you completely from all leaderboards and such? Not that mine have ever loaded on PS3. Can anyone help me with that by the way?

And it would seem to me from 4 onward you're just identifying effective techniques :lol

Rad Agast

Fun game, I'm on my second play through now going for the under 3 hours speed run. The last time I was hooked on a game in this way was last year with Batman AA but Bayonetta is infinity tons better just because of how ridiculous every thing is. I laughed several times during my first play through.

Are there any other requirements for the under 3 hours run? I'm pretty much going as fast as I can from boss to boss without killing stuff I don't have to and not picking up any items. Any thing else I should be aware of?

Hawkian said:
Doesn't climax bracelet disqualify you completely from all leaderboards and such? Not that mine have ever loaded on PS3. Can anyone help me with that by the way?

And it would seem to me from 4 onward you're just identifying effective techniques :lol

Yep, climax bracelet completely throws out your score. It's that overpowered.

Just thought I'd share some amusing trivia from the interview in the guide. In the intro, Sega's logo was also on one of the gravestones. However, Sega were upset about having thier company logo on a gravestone (lol) so Kamiya had to change it at the last minute, which is when he made up the Team Little Angels thing on the spot to replace it.

He was also planning on an Amaterasu costume for Bayonetta but Capcom said no. Big companies not being able to take a joke as Kamiya puts it :D

Dead

well not really...yet
Air Zombie Meat said:
Just thought I'd share some amusing trivia from the interview in the guide. In the intro, Sega's logo was also on one of the gravestones. However, Sega were upset about having thier company logo on a gravestone (lol) so Kamiya had to change it at the last minute, which is when he made up the Team Little Angels thing on the spot to replace it.

He was also planning on an Amaterasu costume for Bayonetta but Capcom said no. Big companies not being able to take a joke as Kamiya puts it :D
Cant wait to read it. I was surprised the interview is so long. Its like the type you usually see at the back of Japanese artbooks.

And on that note, I just found out that they are planning a massive Bayonetta artbook in Japan. Was posted on the official Platinum blog in January :D

thundr51 said:
Maybe i'm using Pulley's butterfly wrong but it doesn't seem to be that broken. It seems like it only takes 1 hit and they're all gone. Also, doesn't it only work as long as you have magic? Maybe I'll try playing with it again tonight.

Depends on the strength of the attack. You can always summon them again, as long as you have 4 magic orbs. And, when you don't need them, you can always recall them by holding triangle +circle. Using flame durgas with impunity is quite deadly to most foes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What's worth playing first, this or GOW III? I might play both eventually, but I know I'll be too burned out on action games for a while to play both back to back...

unagisensei said:
What's worth playing first, this or GOW III? I might play both eventually, but I know I'll be too burned out on action games for a while to play both back to back...

Definitely play GOW3 first. It's only 9 hours on normal. Bayonetta was something like 15 hours on first playthrough for me, and is much easier to sink a ton of time into. They are also very much different games in terms of level design, combat, setting, and gameplay options so I don't see why you'd be burned out.

0 HP

i want to get a ps3 this week and this game is at the top of my list. can someone PLEASE just give it to me straight about the ps3 port? how would you describe it? are there load times every time you go into the menu/pause? how long are they? how bad is the slowdown? my friend back home has this game and he says theres no load time or slowdown after you do some new install that just came out......how accurate is that? i'm pretty pumped on this game after seeing some of the boss fights, but i wouldn't mind skipping it if the ps version is annoying/crappy. idk when/if i'll get a 360 though.

thanks ^_^

palpabl_purpura said:

1) Climax Bracelett
2) Pulley's Butterfly
3) Kilgore Glitch
4) Flame Durgas/switch
5) Whip hold and pull
6) Bazillions
9) Rosary Beads
10)Bracelet of time

That's not a good list if you're playing for score or pure platinums, or if you're playing on NSIC mode.. which you should be if you're bothering to list 'overpowered' things in the game. Climax Bracelet disqualifies you from scoring, and Rodin has such a terrible combo point to damage ratio that you'll never get a good combo score with it.

I'd say it's

1. Kilgore Glitch
2. Pulley's Butterfly
3. Evil Harvest Rosary
4. Bracelet of Time
5. Shuraba Tetsuzanko
6. whatever else..

leng jai

Just got the 360 copy today and fired it up for a good 40 minutes. The graphics/audio is pretty good and the framerate seems pretty consistent. The music is :lol and some of the shit that happens is so ridiculous/hilarious. Still waiting for my CE strategy guide to come.

Footos22

0 HP said:
i want to get a ps3 this week and this game is at the top of my list. can someone PLEASE just give it to me straight about the ps3 port? how would you describe it? are there load times every time you go into the menu/pause? how long are they? how bad is the slowdown? my friend back home has this game and he says theres no load time or slowdown after you do some new install that just came out......how accurate is that? i'm pretty pumped on this game after seeing some of the boss fights, but i wouldn't mind skipping it if the ps version is annoying/crappy. idk when/if i'll get a 360 though.

thanks ^_^

Get it, Ps3 version was fine after the install

Apart from the very first section (clock tower) that sucked balls. But you cant die there anyway and even after 4 playthroughs you only do that section the very first time you play it.

I got a platinum in 25 hours. And never had any problems. And theres no way i would have endured 4 playthroughs if i thought the game sucked. 2 on normal, 1 on hard and one on infinite climax.

Get it, you won't regret it

Load times aren't long at all. I never tried it without the install and i doubt i will.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
With the install on the PS3, load times are essentially nonexistent, you won't even think about it.

Slowdown is a bit sad compared to the 360 version, but taken on its own it's nothing too complaint-worthy. It's a blast and I'm loving it.

Before the patch, I heard there was a loading time when you PAUSED. :lol

mjemirzian said:
That's not a good list if you're playing for score or pure platinums, or if you're playing on NSIC mode.. which you should be if you're bothering to list 'overpowered' things in the game. Climax Bracelet disqualifies you from scoring, and Rodin has such a terrible combo point to damage ratio that you'll never get a good combo score with it.

I'd say it's

1. Kilgore Glitch
2. Pulley's Butterfly
3. Evil Harvest Rosary
4. Bracelet of Time
5. Shuraba Tetsuzanko
6. whatever else..

It's not for score, it's for killing. BTW, if your list is for score, then you should not even have Evil Harvest Rosary listed, and Gaze of Despair should at least be in your top 5.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gaze of Despair makes the game harder. He isn't including the Climax Bracelet on the list because the game itself is acknowledging it's broken by killing your score, and he excepts Rodin because it has a large disadvantage even if it's overpowered. The items listed would seem to be the easiest ways to do well without the game penalizing you in any way.

Hawkian said:
Gaze of Despair makes the game harder. He isn't including the Climax Bracelet on the list because the game itself is acknowledging it's broken by killing your score, and he excepts Rodin because it has a large disadvantage even if it's overpowered. The items listed would seem to be the easiest ways to do well without the game penalizing you in any way.

No, that isn't the point. GOD increases your combo score significantly, so yes, if you are going for score, it is quite a powerful acessory; almost essential in some situations. So if your goal is the highest score possible, there no doubt that GOD will make that difference.

Finally bought Bayonetta. Only £17.85 from zavvi, considering the cheapest price in store in Australia is almost double it was practically a steal :D

I played DMC3SE religiously a few years ago, how does this compare? Kamiya knows what I like so I know this game kicks all kinds of ass. Should I approach it differently or just see how I go?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
palpabl_purpura said:
No, that isn't the point. GOD increases your combo score significantly, so yes, if you are going for score, it is quite a powerful acessory; almost essential in some situations. So if your goal is the highest score possible, there no doubt that GOD will make that difference.

No, that isn't the point. Maybe you just haven't followed the exchange since this the beginning- No one was talking about ways to just maximize your score. Of course Gaze of Despair makes you earn more points. Handguns would be all over these lists if that was the discussion. It was "overpowered" items/techniques. Mjemirzian made a modified list of things that were considered overpowered that didn't simultaneously prevent you from getting a good score.

I find it hard to accept that any item that intentionally makes the game more difficult could be considered overpowered, regardless of the benefits it has for your point total.

To be fair, the evil harvest rosary does have a mediocre damage to points ratio, especially if the AOE blast hits a lot of weak affinities or harmonies at once. But what makes it overpowered is against the tougher, higher health enemies like Gracious/Glorious, where all you have to do is dodge and they get stunned by the blast, instead of having to worry about doing dodge offsets and getting off WWs. Using it against those higher health enemies will still easily get you a Pure Platinum in combo.

Top Bottom