• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
mjemirzian said:
To be fair, the evil harvest rosary does have a mediocre damage to points ratio, especially if the AOE blast hits a lot of weak affinities or harmonies at once. But what makes it overpowered is against the tougher, higher health enemies like Gracious/Glorious, where all you have to do is dodge and they get stunned by the blast, instead of having to worry about doing dodge offsets and getting off WWs. Using it against those higher health enemies will still easily get you a Pure Platinum in combo.

I'll have to play around with Pulley's Butterfly and see how it compares against G&G. I relied on Evil Harvest Rosary throughout almost all of NSIC.

Hawkian said:
No, that isn't the point. Maybe you just haven't followed the exchange since this the beginning- No one was talking about ways to just maximize your score. Of course Gaze of Despair makes you earn more points. Handguns would be all over these lists if that was the discussion. It was "overpowered" items/techniques. Mjemirzian made a modified list of things that were considered overpowered that didn't simultaneously prevent you from getting a good score.

I find it hard to accept that any item that intentionally makes the game more difficult could be considered overpowered, regardless of the benefits it has for your point total.

Okay, so he's taking score penalty into account, whereas I do not on my list. I thought he was purely talking about score.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm throwing Gaze of Despair on there as soon as I'm good enough. At this point I'm happy just to make it through a level without dying on NSIC. :lol

Hawkian said:
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm throwing Gaze of Despair on there as soon as I'm good enough. At this point I'm happy just to make it through a level without dying on NSIC. :lol

Then I think you'll be loving pulley's butterfly

Edit: Used the GOD today on Temperantia. My score went from a Gold on NSIC to a Platinum without doing anything differently.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tip for Wicked Weave only Alfheims... apparently the charged up pillow talk counts as a constant wicked weave. Hells yeah.

edit: Finally just unlocked Angel Slayer... I think I've found my new home. :D

Hawkian said:
Tip for Wicked Weave only Alfheims... apparently the charged up pillow talk counts as a constant wicked weave. Hells yeah.

edit: Finally just unlocked Angel Slayer... I think I've found my new home. :D

Can you believe I've logged in 100 hours and haven't bothered unlocking angel slayer? Time to get it done.

JDS 1977

Banned
I'm confused as to which version is supposedly better, especially after patches, installs, etc.
I have both systems, I'm leaning towards PS3 since most of my action games of that type I'm used to the PS controller for.

A lil help for the confused?

The PS3 version's biggest issue (the crazy loading) was fixed, but it's still very flawed. The port has way too many frequent framerate and slowdown issues for a game as fast as Bayonetta, so unless you really hate the 360 controller, go with that version. Even if you do hate the 360 controller, just remember that everyone who worked on the game did so with the 360 controller in mind, and it really works perfectly for the game (from my experience in trying it after playing the PS3 version for eighty hours, it's not a hard transition to make, and I don't own a 360).

JDS 1977

Banned
Thanks for the answer. I remember people saying it was the lead platform which I thought was odd. I love the 360 controller anyway, Now I just wish I didn't have one of the annoyingly loud old 360s.

JDS 1977 said:
Thanks for the answer. I remember people saying it was the lead platform which I thought was odd. I love the 360 controller anyway, Now I just wish I didn't have one of the annoyingly loud old 360s.

Unless you ABSOLUTELY hate the 360 controller or you've had multiple RRODs/DDE go with the 360 verion.

Tokubetsu

Taking a 2 month break probably wasn't a good idea but I'm trying to do my NSIC run. What's a good and relatively safe way to build up magic for tortures in the prologue?

Tokubetsu said:
Taking a 2 month break probably wasn't a good idea but I'm trying to do my NSIC run. What's a good and relatively safe way to build up magic for tortures in the prologue?

I used the accessory that gives you automatic three magic slots and the parry one.

I have such a weird relationship with Bayonetta, it is probably going to be one of my favorite games of this console generation but I find myself not playing it as regularly as I feel I should be. It's so intense that if I'm not in the right mood to play it I play something that I can play more leisurely like FIFA.

Oh and I have no idea what the story is about and I am usually a person that tries to follow the story at least a bit. Like in JRPG's I'm usually at least like "Oh some kid with a bear as his friend is trying to save the world with the moon's power, ok thats insane but at least I can follow whats happening" with Bayonetta I honestly have absolutely no clue who I'm fighting or what their relationship is to me is but damn if it isn't fun to play.

I got the Climax Brace and started going after the Immortal Marionette(for completion's sake).

God is it boring. Though since I'm using the Climax Brace too I can also go for the Bangle of Time.

Ok, I started this yesterday and I'm having a blast. I've just hit chapter VII and for every chapter after the first two I've been getting stone medals every time. Do I suck or is it because of the lack of health/equipment etc? Every time I come across Grace & Glory I die a bunch of times and come back and clean house taking very little damage.

Just wondering, what do the weapon upgrades from the Gates of Hell add exactly? So far I can see the shotguns and Durga.

And did Bayonetta say Henshin-A-Go-Go-Baby in chapter III? :lol

Monocle

palpabl_purpura said:
Good lord, this has to be a bonus in Bayonetta 2!

toasty_T said:
Ok, I started this yesterday and I'm having a blast. I've just hit chapter VII and for every chapter after the first two I've been getting stone medals every time. Do I suck or is it because of the lack of health/equipment etc? Every time I come across Grace & Glory I die a bunch of times and come back and clean house taking very little damage.

Just wondering, what do the weapon upgrades from the Gates of Hell add exactly? So far I can see the shotguns and Durga.

And did Bayonetta say Henshin-A-Go-Go-Baby in chapter III? :lol
Don't aim for good awards on your first playthrough; treat it as the run for unlocking stuff, seeing all the cool sights, and getting familiar with level layouts and enemy patterns. (If you want to replay a chapter before you've completed all of them, you can do so from the pre-chapter screen by pressing RB/R1 and selecting the appropriate sub-menu.)

The upgrades you referred to are actually duplicate sets of weapons that allow you to equip a weapon type to Bayonetta's hands and feet at the same time, as you can already do with Scarborough Fair (your pink pistols).

NinjaBoiX

i've nearly finished my hard playthrough, are bazillions a worthy substitute for scarborough fair? Also, what's the best way to unlock pillow talk?

-NinjaBoiX- said:
i've nearly finished my hard playthrough, are bazillions a worthy substitute for scarborough fair? Also, what's the best way to unlock pillow talk?

Bazillions are way better than the SF.

Unless you wanna cheat, you have to beat NSIC mode to get the Pillow Talk.

Levi

Banned
I played about two hours tonight and lost on what I think was that chapter's final boss, only to have my controller spazz out and I end up not hitting continue. Do I really have to do the whole fucking chapter over again? Because if I do I'm probably not going to ever play this game again. :( I was having fun, too, but FFS I don't have time to redo the entire fucking chapter when I have a whole stack of games I could be playing.

VsRobot said:
I played about two hours tonight and lost on what I think was that chapter's final boss, only to have my controller spazz out and I end up not hitting continue. Do I really have to do the whole fucking chapter over again? Because if I do I'm probably not going to ever play this game again. :( I was having fun, too, but FFS I don't have time to redo the entire fucking chapter when I have a whole stack of games I could be playing.

Think about it this way:

You can put the whole game in under 3 hours.

It really won't take that long to finish a chapter.

sonicmj1

BeautifulMemory said:
Think about it this way:

You can put the whole game in under 3 hours.

It really won't take that long to finish a chapter.

To be fair, that completion time is calculated based on the sum of the completion time of each verse, so with cutscenes and between-verse exploration, it's more than 3 hours.

That said, I suspect you will go through that chapter much faster the second time through, since you'll know where to go and you'll probably die less.

Monocle

VsRobot said:
Go back to the title screen and select the Continue option. You should start at the last mid-chapter checkpoint you cleared.

Aaron

Monocle said:
Go back to the title screen and select the Continue option. You should start at the last mid-chapter checkpoint you cleared.
Not if you die. That erases the checkpoints. Stupid, I know, but if you skip the cut-scenes, the chapters are all very short.

Wow, I finished this in a couple of days. I can't remember the last game that had time flying by so fast. Game of the forever.

I'm still in a state of shock and awe-some. The last three chapters were absolute lunacy.

Still laughing at the final boss
Mars? Not good enough
:lol

Ramma2

Have this showing up today, I like that I can read an entire page of this thread and not understand a single word anyone is saying :lol

Levi

Banned
Yeah, what took me two hours the first time was around 20 minutes the second time. :D I was really pissed at the time but I'm glad I redid it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just played this again for the first time in a couple of months.

I was instantly reminded why this game is so damn good. The controls are just perfect; I started playing again without feeling like I'd suddenly forgotten how to play. Absolutely fucking flawless. The movement, the attack animations, the weapon variety, the GODLY dodge button -- everything about how my button presses are interpreted on screen.

Best game on the 360 or the PS3. I forgot how great this thing is, and given the amount of time I've had to stew on this and get some perspective, I'm fairly confident in getting all lovey dovey with it. It's so good to play the real deal again following Dante's Inferno and other games of the sort. Amazing. Just great. GREAT. All games should feel this good to just sit down and play. What a game's game.

Rez said:
All games should feel this good to just sit down and play. What a game's game.

Yes, yes yes yes yes. The perfect way to put it. This game is built how I believe all games should be built. Flawless controls that match absolutely perfectly to the character's animation, and built for replay value like few other games even consider trying. One of the few "DO NOT SELL EVER" games from this generation so far. I can only dream that we get a sequel as good as this game from Kamiya himself, and not a hack job from some other dev team.

Monocle

Rez said:

I was instantly reminded why this game is so damn good. The controls are just perfect; I started playing again without feeling like I'd suddenly forgotten how to play. Absolutely fucking flawless. The movement, the attack animations, the weapon variety, the GODLY dodge button -- everything about how my button presses are interpreted on screen.

Best game on the 360 or the PS3. I forgot how great this thing is, and given the amount of time I've had to stew on this and get some perspective, I'm fairly confident in getting all lovey dovey with it. It's so good to play the real deal again following Dante's Inferno and other games of the sort. Amazing. Just great. GREAT. All games should feel this good to just sit down and play. What a game's game.
I had the same experience last night. I played through a single level on an impulse and fucking DESTROYED. Mahaa-Kalaa blocking left and right, dodge offsetting, flawless verse-spanning combos. The only games I'd touched in the last month were Schizoid and Geometry Wars 2. It was unreal.

I've started playing this again after putting it down for whatever reason in january.

Awesome awesome game, but what's with all the bullshit stages??

Route 666 - Mediocre at best, but at least it was fun
Shooter Stage - Horrible
Turret in the tower stage - WTF, this is much worse than in Dead Space. How can I even dodge the fucking laser? It even hits me behind a wall in the building... rage

Why even put these crappy stages in? It feels half assed and even diminished the high quality of the rest of the game a bit.

Also I know that probably many many people have complained about this already, but it just pisses me off right now.

The_Dude

schennmu said:
Turret in the tower stage - WTF, this is much worse than in Dead Space. How can I even dodge the fucking laser? It even hits me behind a wall in the building... rage
You can dodge even if you're in the turret. I pretty much agree on the other two, though - I didn't think they were too bad, but they felt under-developed and entirely uneccessary to me. Their flaws definitely stand out more because the rest of the game is brilliant.

Aaron

I don't mind the others, but I've never done the turret sequence without using an invulnerable item. It's just too tedious otherwise.

The_Dude said:
You can dodge even if you're in the turret. I pretty much agree on the other two, though - I didn't think they were too bad, but they felt under-developed and entirely uneccessary to me. Their flaws definitely stand out more because the rest of the game is brilliant.

I will try it again tonight, but the ridiculous damage from the laser made me rage quit yesterday.

Still an amazing game. Especially the graphics are one of a kind. The game has a very unique and clean look to it (360 at least) which I love.

I guess there is a lot of stuff left to do after one playthrough, so I will never trade this game in. And I can not really say that I've mastered the combat either.

schennmu said:
I will try it again tonight, but the ridiculous damage from the laser made me rage quit yesterday.

Don't get your hopes up.

It could be that I just have terrible timing for that attack but I've never dodged it(it helps that I avoid Tower to Truth like the plague).

Fimbulvetr said:
Don't get your hopes up.

It could be that I just have terrible timing for that attack but I've never dodged it(it helps that I avoid Tower to Truth like the plague).

Oh it's very possible, and I dodged it more than a couple of times on Infinite Climax.

ShinAmano

Been waiting for this thread to pop back on the front page...so I have done a normal run and currently finishing the pearl/heart/alfhiem run. (think I missed a heart since I have 3/4 is there a way to verify I have all the pearls/hearts? I am on the
rocket as Jeanne and am about to get the last Alfhiem.
)

Anyhow I like the game a lot...my only complaints are Bayonetta's voice is a little too deep, the music when fighting is terrible and the hidden stuff is impossible to find without a guide so what is the point in hiding it in the first place?

Chrono

Banned
So the loading problem in the PS3 version has been fixed, but judging from this page the frame rate one hasn't. My question is, has it at least been improved?

I also remember comparison pics where textures on the PS3 one were lower quality, and colors looked off, not as good as the 360 version. What about those problems?

I'll eventually play this game, but I'm deciding between buying it now on PS3 or getting it later whenever I own a 360 or Microsoft's BC-capable next-gen console.

ZeroRay

Rez said:

Yes. I was kicking as much ass as I was after a month of not playing.

Question. Can you unlock a battle arena mode where you just fight enemies? The game would be perfect if that was included.

Chrono said:
So the loading problem in the PS3 version has been fixed, but judging from this page the frame rate one hasn't. My question is, has it at least been improved?

The framerate is still the same but it's not bad enough to kill your fun. Just never try the 360 version. :lol

Top Bottom