• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
ZeroRay said:
Yes. I was kicking as much ass as I was after a month of not playing.

Question. Can you unlock a battle arena mode where you just fight enemies? The game would be perfect if that was included.

You can actually, it's called The Lost Chapter. Finish all the Alfhiems

What's the fastest way to unlock the Sai-Fon? I've gotten everything else. I suppose I could just replay the Prologue a bunch, but it's so boring. If there's an especially fast/short boss fight, I'd rather do that even if it's a few more seconds than the Prologue.

badcrumble said:
What's the fastest way to unlock the Sai-Fon? I've gotten everything else. I suppose I could just replay the Prologue a bunch, but it's so boring. If there's an especially fast/short boss fight, I'd rather do that even if it's a few more seconds than the Prologue.

Chapter 7 or Chapter 16 (tempest / Sage bosses with sage being the fastest). Remember the game will not give you the weapon until you update your score or complete the game (Requim chapter) but you do not have to update for the chapter to count.

ShinAmano said:
Been waiting for this thread to pop back on the front page...so I have done a normal run and currently finishing the pearl/heart/alfhiem run. (think I missed a heart since I have 3/4 is there a way to verify I have all the pearls/hearts? I am on the
rocket as Jeanne and am about to get the last Alfhiem.
)

Anyhow I like the game a lot...my only complaints are Bayonetta's voice is a little too deep, the music when fighting is terrible and the hidden stuff is impossible to find without a guide so what is the point in hiding it in the first place?

Really? I found most of the hidden stuff without a guide(the freaking crows are what gave me trouble).

Anyway, at max hearts you will have two full bars of health.

At max pearls you will have three full bars of magic.

Net_Wrecker said:
You can actually, it's called The Lost Chapter. Finish all the Alfhiems

I still haven't beaten Angel Slayer.

Yet another reason to get addicted to this game again. :lol

ShinAmano

Fimbulvetr said:
Really? I found most of the hidden stuff without a guide(the freaking crows are what gave me trouble).

Your kidding right? 'Kill this guy then run all the way back to the beginning of the stage' - that type of stuff is ridiculous and there is no way I can believe that you found this stuff on your own...who would even think to do that.

As far as the crows I had trouble catching a few but I have gotten them all so far I believe...will have to check when I get home what the count is.

Fimbulvetr said:
Anyway, at max hearts you will have two full bars of health.

Yeah I am for sure missing one heart...just don't know where to start looking...I have the last Alfhiem to go but that will only make 3/4...I think it may be the first one on the
missile
stage that you have to finish the guy with a torture attack, but I am pretty sure I did that.

Fimbulvetr said:
At max pearls you will have three full bars of magic.

That is done.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I know I'm going to get shit for this, but I need to come clean.

I bought this game and played it for what I believe was 30 minutes. Put it up, and completely forgot about it.

I had bought it sometime around when it was launched. I should probably play this game I bought.

So what stuff can be done after finishing the game once? (Besides obvious hard mode and completing all Alfheim challenges). I've noticed to have missed out a lot of medals in the chapter result screens. Are those hidden stages or something?

schennmu said:
I've started playing this again after putting it down for whatever reason in january.

Awesome awesome game, but what's with all the bullshit stages??

Route 666 - Mediocre at best, but at least it was fun
Shooter Stage - Horrible
Turret in the tower stage - WTF, this is much worse than in Dead Space. How can I even dodge the fucking laser? It even hits me behind a wall in the building... rage

Why even put these crappy stages in? It feels half assed and even diminished the high quality of the rest of the game a bit.

Also I know that probably many many people have complained about this already, but it just pisses me off right now.

I forgot to point out the worst part. They force me to use inverted y-axis. What the fuck?! I'm not used at all to play like this anymore.

ShinAmano said:
Yeah I am for sure missing one heart...just don't know where to start looking...I have the last Alfhiem to go but that will only make 3/4...I think it may be the first one on the
missile
stage that you have to finish the guy with a torture attack, but I am pretty sure I did that.
That is done.

There are 2 hearts from doing that, one on each. There are also 2 on the outrun stage.

schennmu said:
I forgot to point out the worst part. They force me to use inverted y-axis. What the fuck?! I'm not used at all to play like this anymore.

You can change that in the options when you are on the stage.

StuBurns

Banned
Finally picked it up the other day, put about two hours in so far, utterly incredible. I was a doubter after the demo, but it's awesome.

Salutations, perhaps someone can help me here. I updated with the patch and tried to install. However the game tells me it failed twice in a row....anyone had this issue and resolved it?

Still playing this game, and it's just fantastic. It's really the little things about it. There's obviously a lot of content in terms of secrets, but in no way does *not* having that make you feel short changed. It's a fantastic game in its own right without the extra modes, characters and weapons. Each of those is a bonus.

Talking of weapons, again, the fact that there is no clear "best" leads to experimentation, as does the shared combos. Each one has a distinct personality but that comes from the special effects, reach and speed and NOT simply from having different button presses.

And the accessories...my god. Turning off witch time and then trying to master the parry adds an entire new layer to the game again. I've pulled it off perfectly...once I think. I don't mean the plain old "block" move. I mean the "witch time activating, ass kicking, split second timed one". It's even tougher than the Bat Within. This I approve in. It makes playing the lower difficulties rewarding as you build up your skills with it (although platinuming normal can be a challenge too, and is one I've yet to complete).

Whoever came up with the idea of disabling witch time in the final difficulty is a genius too, totally changes the feel of the game.

I love you, Bayonetta.

Yeah, I finished this on Friday. Genre king IMO, the combat is just too damn good. Already looking forward to a second playthrough.

Sealed GoW is stitting here (will play after finishing NIER), but I don't expect it to top Bayonetta combat wise. Of course it has other things going for it :)

For a sequel:

- Get rid of the tearing (Really annoying) and make the framerate true 60fps. There are some heavy dips.
- Get rid of the stupid gimmick stages (Route 666, etc.)
- Do a decent PS3 version so I don't have to play this with the 360 controller. (RB/LB just suck too much)

schennmu said:
Btw, how did the game end up sales wise? Is there a chance for a sequel? <3 me some more witch action.

A Gamasutra article said they sold 1.1 million worldwide.

And Kamiya said he'd like to do a sequel, or rather a spin-off.

1.1 is awesome and well deserved! I would have expected it to do worse. Maybe the demo helped a lot (like in my case). Game never looked very appealing to me before.

schennmu said:
Yeah, I finished this on Friday. Genre king IMO, the combat is just too damn good. Already looking forward to a second playthrough.

Sealed GoW is stitting here (will play after finishing NIER), but I don't expect it to top Bayonetta combat wise. Of course it has other things going for it :)

For a sequel:

- Get rid of the tearing (Really annoying) and make the framerate true 60fps. There are some heavy dips.
- Get rid of the stupid gimmick stages (Route 666, etc.)
- Do a decent PS3 version so I don't have to play this with the 360 controller. (RB/LB just suck too much)

Deep in my heart, I'm afraid to buy GOW 3, because I know it will never measure up. Someday I'll eventually buy it (maybe when it's 30 bucks).

palpabl_purpura said:
Deep in my heart, I'm afraid to buy GOW 3, because I know it will never measure up. Someday I'll eventually buy it (maybe when it's 30 bucks).

You can buy GoW3 for visuals and violence alone ;)

Jinjo

So after picking this up on releaseday I left it on the shelve until a week ago. Oh boy, what a mistake. This game is so fucking awesome. I can't get enough of it now. Currently in chapter 12, so hopefully I'll be able to finish this today or tomorrow. After that the quest for completion begins. :D

hank_tree

I was planning on replaying this today but my Bayonetta disc seems to have a huge circular scratch. Presumably caused by my Xbox.

Gives me a good excuse to buy the CE on eBay I guess. I've been eyeing that for a while

Mar

Started playing this recently and I love it to goddamn pieces. Currently on my way through a second time on hard.

There are two things that immediately spring to mind as to why I love the game:

1. It's hilarious. I don't think I've ever laughed out loud more in any other game.
2. It's just so damn slick. Everything is polished to its absolute maximum. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work it must have taken to fine tune a game to this degree.

Ledsen

hank_tree said:
I was planning on replaying this today but my Bayonetta disc seems to have a huge circular scratch. Presumably caused by my Xbox.

Gives me a good excuse to buy the CE on eBay I guess. I've been eyeing that for a while

MS will replace discs with the circular thing caused by the Xbox, it's a known issue.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Finished the game, and goddamn. GOTY contender right here, because I have never had so much fun with a game this generation as much as I have with Bayonetta.

Kryten

Gah, I've hit yet another wall with this game - there's the two golden enemies (Gracious and Glourius, I believe) towards the end of chapter 10 (you can't use Witch Time against them) and it's doing my head in that I can't beat them - there isn't enough room to get any combos off (that I know - hee), anyone able to help out with some ideas?

I'll admit to playing on normal and probably not having the correct weapons - I've been cheesing through with Scarbourough Fair and Durga mostly :)

Kryten said:
Gah, I've hit yet another wall with this game - there's the two golden enemies (Gracious and Glourius, I believe) towards the end of chapter 10 (you can't use Witch Time against them) and it's doing my head in that I can't beat them - there isn't enough room to get any combos off (that I know - hee), anyone able to help out with some ideas?

I'll admit to playing on normal and probably not having the correct weapons - I've been cheesing through with Scarbourough Fair and Durga mostly :)

If you can, buy the accessory that counters enemies when you dodge but disables witch time. Keep your distance, try taunting to build up meter to use a torture attack, use your guns, and spam punch kick punch wicked weaves. I usually use the sword against them, the punch kick punch can hit them both at the same time pretty consistently. Oh and use stiletto a lot too.

I mean, there's probably other people that can give you better advice, but that worked for me.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I love Bayonetta but I've shelved it after a frustrating time with the last boss. Recently pulled out DMC4 and completed it again. As good as Bayonetta is, I still much prefer DMC4. I love the exploration aspects. Bayonetta is DMC without the exploration. One arena battle after the next. It gets a bit tedious.

rvy

Banned
Darkmakaimura said:
I love Bayonetta but I've shelved it after a frustrating time with the last boss. Recently pulled out DMC4 and completed it again. As good as Bayonetta is, I still much prefer DMC4. I love the exploration aspects. Bayonetta is DMC without the exploration. One arena battle after the next. It gets a bit tedious.
DMC has exploration?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
rvy said:
DMC has exploration?
Uh... yes. It's not "open world" but requires you to backtrack, find ways of getting through certain areas, etc. It's not linear in the sense you're not moving from one closed arena to the next ala Bayonetta. Another good example would be the Iga Castlevania games, in which DMC is very similar to.

i really wish i 'got' this game more..

didn't feel it was any better or worse than dmc 4.... but also accept i must be missing something about the combat system.

Kryten

PolarBearsClub said:
If you can, buy the accessory that counters enemies when you dodge but disables witch time. Keep your distance, try taunting to build up meter to use a torture attack, use your guns, and spam punch kick punch wicked weaves. I usually use the sword against them, the punch kick punch can hit them both at the same time pretty consistently. Oh and use stiletto a lot too.

I mean, there's probably other people that can give you better advice, but that worked for me.

Thanks for the advice, although I ignored it (I've been slack on buying accessories and didn't really want to redo the level) :) - cheesed my way through by using charged katana/durga attacks and running away in panther form to get enough space. Worked a treat!

Kryten said:
Thanks for the advice, although I ignored it (I've been slack on buying accessories and didn't really want to redo the level) :) - cheesed my way through by using charged katana/durga attacks and running away in panther form to get enough space. Worked a treat!

Yeah, that ain't gonna work come harder difficulties. Definitely get used to all of the accessories, and practice the DODGE OFFSET technique on a lot of your combos. The more you understand the combo system, wicked weaves, and dodge offset, the easier those harder enemies become.

Darkmakaimura said:

DMC4 was so boring. Not to mention the fact that you pretty much play through the same game twice just to complete it one time, but the enemies, and combo system were completely meh to me. I guess it was "OK" but it doesn't hold a candle to Bayonetta IMO.

rvy

Banned
Darkmakaimura said:
Uh... yes. It's not "open world" but requires you to backtrack, find ways of getting through certain areas, etc. It's not linear in the sense you're not moving from one closed arena to the next ala Bayonetta. Another good example would be the Iga Castlevania games, in which DMC is very similar to.
If anything, all those puzzles and backtracking made DMC 4 a worst game. Imo.

Mar

frogg609 said:
Has there been any news about the 300+ page artbook that was supposed to be coming out? Haven't seen anything since: http://platinumgames.com/tag/bayonetta-art-book/

Maybe I just missed it.

I'd love to see this. It isn't just the collectors guide book is it?

I've been going through the game on Infinite Climax mode... God damn it's hard. Much harder than 'hard' mode. I lost a health bar + hot shot so fast I didn't even realise what was going on before I started furiously spamming right trigger to try and escape the combo I'd been caught in.

Top Bottom