• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Monocle

Kryten said:
Gah, I've hit yet another wall with this game - there's the two golden enemies (Gracious and Glourius, I believe) towards the end of chapter 10 (you can't use Witch Time against them) and it's doing my head in that I can't beat them - there isn't enough room to get any combos off (that I know - hee), anyone able to help out with some ideas?

I'll admit to playing on normal and probably not having the correct weapons - I've been cheesing through with Scarbourough Fair and Durga mostly :)
Try charging your kick attacks with the following set: Shuraba and Durga (flame). (You've probably figured it out by now, but to change Durga modes you do a full rotation of the stick then press P or K, depending on where the weapon's equipped.) PPPKKK is especially deadly if you charge all the kicks. PPKP works well too.

Use dodge offset if you have a hard time completing combos while you're fighting Gracious & Glorious.

Edit:
NinjaFusion said:
i really wish i 'got' this game more..

didn't feel it was any better or worse than dmc 4.... but also accept i must be missing something about the combat system.
Maybe just a little something.

PowderedToast

just want to drop in to say that i just finished this and the game is motherfucking incredible. what a labour of love. platinum (or rather team little angels) really outdid themselves. it almost felt like a love letter to the medium itself with the constant winking references and it's sheer unapologetic nature about what it is. serious kudos to kamiya and the team at platinum.

BeeDog

Finally started playing the game again after having it in my back log for so long. Just got to chapter 7 (or was it 8?), and the game's really fun so far. Surprisingly hard too; forces me to try and master the dodge move.

Though I gotta say, the sheer ridonkulous is starting to become embarassing. I literally cringed when the Joy enemy was introduced. I mean, masturbation orgasm? :lol Either way, fun game!

Got the game a few minutes ago thanks to my brother , he bought 8 copies for 80€ and gave me one (360) .

I won't play tonight as I'm beat , but I wanted to know what kind of difficulty settings are offered for a first playthrough .

Moundir&Tony>you said:
I won't play tonight as I'm beat , but I wanted to know what kind of difficulty settings are offered for a first playthrough .
Easy and normal on first playthrough. Beating the game unlocks hard mode. Just started playing it myself.

Moundir&Tony>you said:

Normal, Easy Automatic, and Very Easy Automatic.

Automatic can be turned off by removing the Marionette accessory.

Just snagged it on Kmart.com early this morning for $29.99. Signed up for their Free 30 Day trial of ShipVantage and got free shipping. So it was only $32.46.

I bought the PS3 version, I heard it's had a patch or something that fixes the issues; Is it true?

Moundir&Tony>you said:
Thanks guys , disappointed by the lack of hard mode from the beginning :( .
Will start tomorrow on normal then .

You dont' want to play hard mode from the beginning. Trust me. You'll need the items, vitality, magic pearls.

BTW, Fly me to the Moon was performed on American Idol tonight.

Moundir&Tony>you said:

It could be doable, but you would really have a big hard time going through hard mode naked. I guess if you played a lot of action games it could be done.

Btw, got the game running back again today, i really love it.

Almost getting platinum on normal... I got the last 3 levels to go, then i'll just play the rest of the game without bothering about scores and just enjoy. I'm almost finished with hard more anyway.

Giolon

Moundir&Tony>you said:

Don't worry. You're not ready for Hard Mode if you can't say that Gracious and Glorious no longer kick your ass.

Sohter.Nura said:
It could be doable, but you would really have a big hard time going through hard mode naked. I guess if you played a lot of action games it could be done.

Btw, got the game running back again today, i really love it.

Almost getting platinum on normal... I got the last 3 levels to go, then i'll just play the rest of the game without bothering about scores and just enjoy. I'm almost finished with hard more anyway.

I would not survive hard mode on the first playthrough without dying ad nauseum. I am a respectable player too. I have an overall platinum on NSIC.

MidnightScott said:
I bought the PS3 version, I heard it's had a patch or something that fixes the issues; Is it true?

It's still playable, but it really is a bad port for a game like this, and the patch only fixed the loading (which wasn't even the worst problem).

palpabl_purpura said:
I would not survive hard mode on the first playthrough without dying ad nauseum. I am a respectable player too. I have an overall platinum on NSIC.

Well, I mean, the thing is, he can build equip as he plays through... and you also have witch time, which makes things a lot easier.

Maybe I could be wrong, I never tried and don't have the skill to do it. I just thought that maybe because of Witch Time it could be pullable.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
MidnightScott said:
Just snagged it on Kmart.com early this morning for $29.99. Signed up for their Free 30 Day trial of ShipVantage and got free shipping. So it was only $32.46.

It fixes loading issues, and that's about it I believe.

Sohter.Nura said:
Well, I mean, the thing is, he can build equip as he plays through... and you also have witch time, which makes things a lot easier.

Maybe I could be wrong, I never tried and don't have the skill to do it. I just thought that maybe because of Witch Time it could be pullable.

I don't see it. Not only are the non witch time enemies extremely annoying, but you have no extra weapons, no accessories, etc. Bayonetta goes out of it's way to be accessible, and give the player options, but STARTING on Hard with no knowledge of the combo system, the enemies, or the weapons/accessories would be frustrating. Going through Normal first is a way to train the player for the higher difficulties, and it works.

Sohter.Nura said:

It's possible, sure, with a crap load of deaths. I'm just saying I would never do it, because in the end, I would end up rage quitting.

J-Roderton

Wow. Now that I actually have a chance to start working and making money this summer I can actually pick up a copy of this damn game after so long. Can't wait.

How do the pros in this thread hold the controller when playing the 360 version? I had no problems playing the PS3 demo, but I just got the 360 version and keeping two fingers on the RB and RT buttons is the most uncomfortable thing ever for me. I've also tried doing it with one finger hanging over the RB and it's not much better. At this point I'm thinking of just getting the PS3 version despite the abysmal port, but I'm open to any tips.

MomoPufflet said:
How do the pros in this thread hold the controller when playing the 360 version? I had no problems playing the PS3 demo, but I just got the 360 version and keeping two fingers on the RB and RT buttons is the most uncomfortable thing ever for me. I've also tried doing it with one finger hanging over the RB and it's not much better. At this point I'm thinking of just getting the PS3 version despite the abysmal port, but I'm open to any tips.

For lock on? No need. If your locked on constantly you're doing it wrong. The auto lock in this game is very good. The only thing you need RB for are the moves that use it. Other than that, keep you finger on Dodge at all times.

MomoPufflet said:
Got it, thanks. For some reason I was under the impression that it was an integral part of the game.

It's the button opposite of taunt.

Apparently Kamiya doesn't think much of the bumpers.

Fimbulvetr said:
It's the button opposite of taunt.

Apparently Kamiya doesn't think much of the bumpers.

Yeah-- while I generally prefer the 360 controller for just about everything, the bumpers are terrible. For this reason I am adamant that a game like Demon's Souls would be unplayable on 360 (a bold statement, but anyone who has played it knows what I'm talking about).

In any case, empowered with the knowledge that lock-on is useless, I played 6 hours of Bayonetta last night. This game is so good. I'd sort of fallen out of love with the action genre over the years-- the last game that I remember being super into is Devil May Cry 1, and Bayonetta walks all over it. The thing that impresses me the most is not the huge depth of gameplay, but the fact that you never feel overwhelmed by it. You feel like you're "good" (or at least adequate) at almost every level of play. The majority of games like this have a substantial dead spot in enjoyment at the beginning while you climb the learning curve-- Bayonetta does not.

Another thing I think they nailed is the balance between absurdity, coolness, and self-awareness. While Devil May Cry 'kind of' got this, there were a lot of times when it played itself too straight and stumbled into eye-roll territory. Bayonetta just feels effortless in every regard, and no matter how crazy it gets, it never feels like too much or too little. It would have been so easy to come off as trying too hard in a game this over the top, but it never does. I could go on about how it's cinematically flawless, but I feel like I've made my point. If an action game other than Bayonetta 2 is able to top this in the foreseeable future I will be very, very surprised.

MomoPufflet said:
Yeah-- while I generally prefer the 360 controller for just about everything, the bumpers are terrible. For this reason I am adamant that a game like Demon's Souls would be unplayable on 360 (a bold statement, but anyone who has played it knows what I'm talking about).

In any case, empowered with the knowledge that lock-on is useless, I played 6 hours of Bayonetta last night. This game is so good. I'd sort of fallen out of love with the action genre over the years-- the last game that I remember being super into is Devil May Cry 1, and Bayonetta walks all over it. The thing that impresses me the most is not the huge depth of gameplay, but the fact that you never feel overwhelmed by it. You feel like you're "good" (or at least adequate) at almost every level of play. The majority of games like this have a substantial dead spot in enjoyment at the beginning while you climb the learning curve-- Bayonetta does not.

Another thing I think they nailed is the balance between absurdity, coolness, and self-awareness. While Devil May Cry 'kind of' got this, there were a lot of times when it played itself too straight and stumbled into eye-roll territory. Bayonetta just feels effortless in every regard, and no matter how crazy it gets, it never feels like too much or too little. It would have been so easy to come off as trying too hard in a game this over the top, but it never does. I could go on about how it's cinematically flawless, but I feel like I've made my point. If an action game other than Bayonetta 2 is able to top this in the foreseeable future I will be very, very surprised.

You said it better than I could have

BeeDog

Is there a way to check what medals you got on specific Verses in specific chapters? Wanna see how close I am to the "get 10 platinum medals in different battles" trophy.

BeeDog said:
Is there a way to check what medals you got on specific Verses in specific chapters? Wanna see how close I am to the "get 10 platinum medals in different battles" trophy.

When in the chapter menu press RB/R1 and pick Chapter History(?).

BeeDog

Fimbulvetr said:
When in the chapter menu press RB/R1 and pick Chapter History(?).

Hmm, I'm probably just blind or retarded, but I'm not seeing anything...?

I press R1 to open the Submenu, then select Chapter Select. A list of the chapters I've cleared pops up, but nothing regarding the in-level Verse medals.

BeeDog said:

I press R1 to open the Submenu, then select Chapter Select. A list of the chapters I've cleared pops up, but nothing regarding the in-level Verse medals.

Not select, History.

Oh wait, it's 'Play History' not 'Chapter History'. My bad. :lol

bry-bry

BeeDog said:

I believe you need to complete the game once to unlock the "Play History" option in the chapter menu.

NIN90

Neuromancer said:
I hate to say it but I think I may have to drop down to easy. I'm getting my ass kicked and my hands are hurting. =\

Cmon. It's not that hard. Remember: Dodge is key!

Neuromancer said:
I hate to say it but I think I may have to drop down to easy. I'm getting my ass kicked and my hands are hurting. =\

Make sure you unequip the Immortal Marionette otherwise you'll be in automatic mode.

And don't worry about having to start a new game from scratch, you can change difficulty and still continue from the chapter you left off.

Just go to Difficulty in the Chapter Menu by pressing RB/R1.

You can switch back to normal at any time.

ezekial45

Banned
Just found out my save file for the 360 version is gone. No idea how that happened. I was nearly finished with Non-Stop Climax mode too. :(

However, i still have the urge to play the game from scratch. Which says a lot about the quality of the game.

54-46!

I know they fixed the loading times, but did they ever fix the framerate issues on the PS3? havn't followed this game much after release.

Might get it now that the price has dropped.

good to still this game still has a fair amount of "trickle sales".

one of those games you can always go back to. it has so much to offer you in terms of sheer enjoyment and sharpening your skills

stick with it! once you "get it", you'll feel the flow of combat and that's when the game really starts getting fun

if you play on easy, it's just too forgiving. THINK

Mar

I unlocked all the achievements recently and now I'm working on unlocking everything else. To unlock Jeanne do you have to pure platinum everything or just get the regular platinums?

Also, does anyone know what's going to be in this thing? I'm going to pre-order even though I'm not sure what's going to be in it...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4047266132

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Mar said:
I unlocked all the achievements recently and now I'm working on unlocking everything else. To unlock Jeanne do you have to pure platinum everything or just get the regular platinums?

Also, does anyone know what's going to be in this thing? I'm going to pre-order even though I'm not sure what's going to be in it...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4047266132

Just Plats. I would have never unlocked her, if it was all Pure Platinums. :lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I just finished my first playthrough on normal and I have to say: While i don't really like "devil may cry"-like games, where the first combo you learn is the combo you use through the entire game, I really really LOVED this game.

I got really impressed how everything in the game oozes style out of every orifice. Sure, the story may not be the best story ever, but it gets it's point across.

I really loved it and have no complains. It's a genre I don't really like, but the game made me play it entirely till the end, something not even games I like usually make me do.

I specially loved the little Bayonetta Tumbler from the map shots. You know, the little Doll some kid is moving around a board. I wish I could buy one. Unfortunately, they were never mass produced. Somebody made a couple of them, by hand, and put up pictures on their filckr account. Amazing.

I wouldn't mind finally trying some papercraft of it, but I didn't find a single papercraft model for Bayonetta. If anybody has any link handy, please, share.

Awesome game.

Top Bottom