• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Aaron

Mar said:
I unlocked all the achievements recently and now I'm working on unlocking everything else. To unlock Jeanne do you have to pure platinum everything or just get the regular platinums?
Just regular. I imagine it would be a breeze if you've gotten all the achievements. Word of warning though, if you want to play as her, you'll need to create a separate save file, and it's super easy to overwrite your old file, and lose all your Bayonetta progress. I never fully recovered after that, though Jeanne is great fun to play as.

54-46!

Eh, I've decided.. I'm gonna buy a 360 just to play this game, will be waiting till E3 if by any chance they'll release an updated version for PS3, announce a PC port or MS decides to roll out 360 slim.

Mar

Started on my platinum run last night and... Goddamn, it's a lot harder than I thought. I've got 3 chapters done and I've been brutalised the whole way. I hope it gets easier at some point...

Mar said:
Started on my platinum run last night and... Goddamn, it's a lot harder than I thought. I've got 3 chapters done and I've been brutalised the whole way. I hope it gets easier at some point...

Bat Within and Moon of Maha-Kala really help.

bry-bry

I've found that Gaze of Despair is very helpful when going for Platinum awards.

Edit: The pace of combat seems better with GoD; quicker and easier to time your combos and dodges.

Cep

Banned
I just started playing this game on Ps3 after having beaten it on 360 a couple months ago, and I am not sure if I can continue.

Dear god...

Cep

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Why are you not playing it on the 360 anymore?

I was away from home (university) so I had to play it on a friends console. I do not own a 360 anymore (ringed a couple of years back).

I was looking forward to playing some Non-stop climax, but I do not know if I can make myself play it again more than once, let alone 3 times.

I think it may be time to scope out a used 360...

bry-bry

Fimbulvetr said:
It actually makes some fights harder to platinum though since it does more damage than it gives points.

Now that you mention it, GoD is probably more hindrance than help on the Epilogue. That could explain my difficulty on scoring that last damn Platinum. Thanks.

Mar

Are the anal beads (the bead bracelet whatever it's called) a bad idea for platinum too? Do the bombs you leave behind after an evade detract from your combo score?

On modes below Hard they do a lot of damage but don't actually accumulate many points in return.

Witch Time is a way better alternative since it also gives you a point bonus.

What exactly are you having trouble with anyway?

Combo, Time, and/or Damage?

Mar said:
Are the anal beads (the bead bracelet whatever it's called) a bad idea for platinum too? Do the bombs you leave behind after an evade detract from your combo score?

Depends on the enemy. Don't use it around low health enemies because they will get AOEd by the bomb blast and your combo score will suck. Higher tier enemies (joys, grace, glory, fairness, fearless) it's ok to use around and still get a platinum.

Mar

Fimbulvetr said:
On modes below Hard they do a lot of damage but don't actually accumulate many points in return.

Witch Time is a way better alternative since it also gives you a point bonus.

What exactly are you having trouble with anyway?

Combo, Time, and/or Damage?

Hmm. I'll avoid the beads then.

Using the kilgore exploit it's pretty easy to come through on time and damage, the combo score is probably what I'm having the most trouble with. I'm only 3 chapters in so I'm still getting used to using the guns to keep my combo alive between mobs, and using combos that register lots of hits (launching into the air for instance). As well as using the angel arms, as they give huge bonuses but I never bothered to use them before now.

Macmanus

I'm rather LTTP, but decided to sink about an hour and a half worth of time into this title. So far it's levels of awesome seems to be quite high.

My only complaint is the lack of camera controls. Since I'm not connected to XBL, I'm curious if there has been a patch since release to allow custom controls on the camera sticks. I can't really stand the inversion.

DJ_Lae

Macmanus said:
I'm rather LTTP, but decided to sink about an hour and a half worth of time into this title. So far it's levels of awesome seems to be quite high.

My only complaint is the lack of camera controls. Since I'm not connected to XBL, I'm curious if there has been a patch since release to allow custom controls on the camera sticks. I can't really stand the inversion.

A quick peek in the option menu has inversion for both axis for regular and first-person camera, and a little slider for adjusting camera speed, so they must have patched it in. Don't know why they didn't have it originally.

Acid08

Banned
I borrowed the PS3 versuon of this from a friend. Is the PS3 version really that bad? I won't get a chance to play it till later tonight.

Macmanus

DJ_Lae said:
A quick peek in the option menu has inversion for both axis for regular and first-person camera, and a little slider for adjusting camera speed, so they must have patched it in. Don't know why they didn't have it originally.

Brilliant. Thank you very much!

Blizzard

Banned
Stupid question since I googled for quite a while and couldn't find ANYTHING...what is the art style/movement/school that Bayonetta's tall, skinny proportions remind people of?

ezekial45

Banned
Acid08 said:
I borrowed the PS3 versuon of this from a friend. Is the PS3 version really that bad? I won't get a chance to play it till later tonight.

It's fine. Just download the update and it'll play fine.

Alx

Blizzard said:
Stupid question since I googled for quite a while and couldn't find ANYTHING...what is the art style/movement/school that Bayonetta's tall, skinny proportions remind people of?

I'm not sure it's a movement per se, but the proportions always make me think of Giacometti surrealist sculptures :
http://picsdigger.com/keyword/giacometti sculptures/

giacometti3.gif

burgerdog

DJ_Lae said:
Game was never patched on 360. All he had to do was check the options.

Macmanus

burgerdog said:
Game was never patched on 360. All he had to do was check the options.

I did check the options and the settings weren't there. I don't have my box connected to the internet so auto updates wouldn't flash before my eyes. I checked on the forum to see if there was an update to determine whether it would be worth my time to connect the xbox to the net.

Fairly simple and already explained.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the answers, but I don't think any of those were what someone mentioned before...I think they posted something kinda like a romantic/classical painting, but with really tall figures (just tall and thin, not freakishly so). Thanks for the answers anyway!

Acid08

Banned
I'm about 8 chapters into this and it's really awesome, much better than I expected. Just pure fun to play.

PS3 version looks good, not great but it's fine. I have the demo on my 360 and it looks much much cleaner.

Macmanus

ArjanN said:
No.

It was more inspired by the fashion sketches fashion designers make, for example:

Do jokes typically fly over your head at such breakneck speeds?

The more I play this, the better it gets. I haven't been this satisfied with an action game since DMC1, which makes perfect sense.

Belated post, but I finally beat it a couple weeks ago on normal. Start to finish, every inch of this game was incredible.

I have a few questions:
  1. Any good combo guides/videos out there? I feel like I'm stuck at an intermediate skill level and hard mode is kind of owning me.
  2. In hard mode I'm finding myself using swords a lot more than guns because they seem to take out enemies faster and are easier to use. Am I doing it wrong? The sword seems pretty limited and I feel like there's a better way...
  3. Any choice custom soundtrack suggestions? One of my only complaints about the game is that the music is repetitive (albeit fitting). I'm open to any genre.
  4. What accessories should I get first? Already got Selene's Light.

MomoPufflet said:
  1. Any good combo guides/videos out there? I feel like I'm stuck at an intermediate skill level and hard mode is kind of owning me.
  2. In hard mode I'm finding myself using swords a lot more than guns because they seem to take out enemies faster and are easier to use. Am I doing it wrong? The sword seems pretty limited and I feel like there's a better way...
  3. Any choice custom soundtrack suggestions? One of my only complaints about the game is that the music is repetitive (albeit fitting). I'm open to any genre.
2) You can just have a good pair of ranged weapons on your feet to balance it out. There are also a good number of weapons that complement each other well: like whip + ice skates/claws.

3) *shrug* I guess something that reflects Bayonetta's reckless abandon while being at least semi-actiony would be good.

4) I will suggest moon of Maha-Kalaa til the end of time. I never un-equip it.

Sergey's lover is good with the Ice Skates since it becomes easy to freeze enemies, or the gunchucks if you even unlock those.

Continued this today. I played from the start of Chapter I to the end of Chapter II, and I am definitely getting the vibe that this is the "next evolution of action games"!

Bayonetta flows beautifully - it's far more elegant than Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (my favourite combat engine thus far). That's not to say it's faster, but the moves blend together better to create a smoother experience. I find myself genuinely adapting my combos to suit what's going on around me, rather than just Flying Swallow-ing motherfuckers repeatedly. I'm guessing i'm able to do this quite easily thanks to Bayonetta's massive move-set. I love the gratuitous torture moves as well - a very cool reward for building up the magic meter successfully (and I enjoy the additional titillation when her suit comes off hur hur).

Apart from the combat, one other thing I am really enjoying is the story. It isn't the greatest ever told, but it's handled so well that it's hard not to enjoy it. Very slick cutscene presentation, likeable characters, and above all: tons of back story. I missed blatant exposition in the form of memos in Resident Evil, so their plentiful return in Bayonetta means so much to me. I forgot how much fun it can be to just read about the game universe.

Macmanus

Just finished this amazing experience. I wanted to tackle GoW3 and DMC4 after this game, but I can't even fathom how they would hold a candle to this title. Easily my favorite action game since the first DMC. Nothing this generation even comes close thus far.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Apart from the combat, one other thing I am really enjoying is the story. It isn't the greatest ever told, but it's handled so well that it's hard not to enjoy it. Very slick cutscene presentation, likeable characters, and above all: tons of back story. I missed blatant exposition in the form of memos in Resident Evil, so their plentiful return in Bayonetta means so much to me. I forgot how much fun it can be to just read about the game universe.

Completely agree. And it remains consistent throughout. The story isn't anything amazing, but the way it's told is just non-stop fun and incredibly well done.

Macmanus said:
Just finished this amazing experience. I wanted to tackle GoW3 and DMC4 after this game, but I can't even fathom how they would hold a candle to this title. Easily my favorite action game since the first DMC. Nothing this generation even comes close thus far.

Have tried through on harder difficulties yet? The best part about this game is that you've barely scratched the surface after just one playthrough.

Trickster

Macmanus said:

Should have played GoW3 and DMC4 before bayonetta.

GoW3 is an amazing looking game and I really like the game, but the combat is not even in the same galaxy.
And DMC4 has some pretty good cutscenes, and the first half is pretty fun. Second half is shit though.

Monocle

MomoPufflet said:
Belated post, but I finally beat it a couple weeks ago on normal. Start to finish, every inch of this game was incredible.

I have a few questions:
1. I strongly recommend the official Bayonetta guide. It's absolutely crammed with all sorts of great information, including how to combo like an expert, and the guide includes a code that lets you access via the publisher's website videos that demonstrate combos and tactics. At $30 it's a tad pricey, but given its quality I'd go so far as to call it a must-buy for the serious Bayonetta fan. Watch the trailer (yeah, it has a trailer!) here.

You should also check out this YouTube playlist for tons of great combo videos and advanced gameplay. (If the link doesn't work, try this instead. To browse the playlist from this page, expand the first window just beneath and to the right of the video for a scrollable list.) Make sure to take a look at the user's channel any time you find a video you like. Chances are they've posted more than just the one.

2. Any weapon can be effective. Shuraba is a great choice for dealing damage, especially when paired with Durga (Flame) or Lt. Col. Kilgore on the legs. Charge most of your kicks with either of these sets and you'll dominate.

3. This depends on your taste and what you're in the mood to hear. I've found that everything from Rhapsody of Fire to Lady Gaga to Moi dix Moix can complement Bayonetta's gameplay. Aerosmith can be awesome.

4. The Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa. It'll take your game to a new level.

Edit:
lucablight said:
I know the 360 version is considered to be the better version but does the control scheme suit any system better?
I haven't seen any feedback that suggests Bayonetta's controls are better on either system. The game was designed specifically with the 360 controller in mind, and I feel it suits Bayonetta perfectly. PS3 players don't seem to have had any issues with the DS3, though. In short, don't let controller preference sway you one way or the other. The PS3 version's performance issues are the only major factor to consider if you're torn between systems.

Mar

Monocle said:
1. I strongly recommend the official Bayonetta guide. It's absolutely crammed with all sorts of great information, including how to combo like an expert, and the guide includes a code that lets you access via the publisher's website videos that demonstrate combos and tactics. At $30 it's a tad pricey, but given its quality I'd go so far as to call it a must-buy for the serious Bayonetta fan. Watch the trailer (yeah, it has a trailer!) here.

I don't usually think much of guides. They are generally unhelpful and crappily produced. But this book is just incredible. Hardcover, slick pages, photos, an interview with the guys, concept art, a bayonetta hair ribbon book mark, and it's invaluable for later runs on hard difficulties and unlocking things.

Macmanus

Net_Wrecker said:
Have tried through on harder difficulties yet? The best part about this game is that you've barely scratched the surface after just one playthrough.

I immediately started another run through the game on normal again to collect everything I missed (which was a lot), complete all the Alfheim's, and collect more halos.

It really is a trip going through it again right after you finish it. Your raw skills in the game have improved so much from where you started, and the Alfheim's really do a lot to hone your ability. Once I get through it one more time I definitely see myself going through it again on hard. Even infinite climax seems mildly realistic after completing the "No Witch Time" Alfheim.

ptown

54-46! said:
Eh, I've decided.. I'm gonna buy a 360 just to play this game, will be waiting till E3 if by any chance they'll release an updated version for PS3, announce a PC port or MS decides to roll out 360 slim.

You're not alone.

Not a big fan of the 360 library, but I've considered getting one just for this game.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
Blizzard said:

Fist of the North star / JoJo's Bizarre adventure (Action manga/anime) (just like GodHand)

Acid08

Banned
Finally finished this today, it was fucking awesome. So much fun to play, the combat system is probably my favorite of any action game I've played. Loved the awful jokes throughout also.

and a big LOL at the ending dance sequence :lol

Macmanus said:
I know this is months late, but I would like to personally thank you for this guide. Helped me out a ton. The tips that were front loaded into it were absolutely essential for helping me appreciate this amazing game even more.

Hey Macmanus thanks I'm glad you liked the guide and that it helped you see even more of the incredible depth in the games combat.

Although some of the Japanese combo vids make my tips look pretty mundane.. but the guide is meant to be more practical than flashy.

Cep said:
I just started playing this game on Ps3 after having beaten it on 360 a couple months ago, and I am not sure if I can continue.

Dear god...
:lol I guess that's what happens when u play the 360 version first.

Sagitario

I think I just wasted 200,000 halos purchasing the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa...
It took me 10 chapters to get them and I'm not fast enough to activate it :_(

I'm loving this game [except for the film-like cutscenes] but I suck at it: I'm not fast enough and I can't remember all the combos + weapons combinations [I think I was better at DMC3, but that's not saying much :p]

AND FUCK YOU GRACIOUS AND GLORIOUS!!!! >_<

Any tips for beginners? Halo farming?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Played throught it this weekend (not sure why it took me so long to start) and loved it. I'll be replaying the stages for better scores and such but I'm 100% satisfied already, really fun and the best action game I played in a long time.

Sagitario said:
I think I just wasted 200,000 halos purchasing the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa...
It took me 10 chapters to get them and I'm not fast enough to activate it :_(

I'm loving this game [except for the film-like cutscenes] but I suck at it: I'm not fast enough and I can't remember all the combos + weapons combinations [I think I was better at DMC3, but that's not saying much :p]

AND FUCK YOU GRACIOUS AND GLORIOUS!!!! >_<

Any tips for beginners? Halo farming?

Halo Farming is easy if you have both the Gaze of Despair acessory, Durga(claws), and the Kilgore(bazookas).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfpBWVXHsB0

Even faster if you have the Bangle of Time accessory.

Top Bottom