• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Synless

Well, Bayonetta was $30 and I finally decided it was time to pick it up (360 version). I'm going to play this in between MGS5 and DQIX.

Mar

Dabookerman said:
Does Amazon JP ship to UK? And if not.. what other stores sell em. I MUST KNOW THIS INSTANT!!!

Don't know about UK, but they do ship to Australia. I was really happy with a previous purchase. Took 3 days to get to my house and it was very well packaged.

goldenpp72

I will say I agree bayonetta has a lot of parts that take you out of fighting, I would have liked a 'skip all cutscenes' mode having seen them all once, but puzzles? The hardest puzzles revolved around platforming which was actually well done, and still short. You really would have to be pretty slow to have trouble figuring out the non combat aspects of bayonetta.

One of my favs this generation, coming from someone who is much more a ninja gaiden fan than devil may cry.

Mar

micster said:
Yes. But its ridiculously expensive. Its on backorder with playasia;
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-lt-49-en-70-3utl.html

I didn't find it to be expensive, or at least, not for what you get. Like I said it's fast and very well packed. This was my only purchase though so who knows, my next shipment which will arrive either tomorrow or next week might be a disaster. We'll see.

My order this time was AUD$177. That's two of these Eyes of Bayonettas and one of the limited edition guide books. That's going to be a very heavy package so the price seems right to me (the guide book alone is very heavy. You could kill a dude).

Jintor

Heh, I thought this thread was dead. Guess not. Anyway, glad it isn't; picked up Bayonetta a few days ago and have been playing through. It is a blast. The Gurren-Lagann of gaming. I heard vaguely about it at the beginning of the year (PC gamer here) but didn't pay it any mind. What a fool I've been!

Shurs said:
I picked this up on 360 and played until I got my first grade. Lots of cutscenes to start the game.

They get way less frequent after that.

Unless you're really that concerned about the plot, skip any cutscene that doesn't introduce a new enemy(because they use attacks during scenes that you will have to dodge immediately after it ends).

goldenpp72 said:
I will say I agree bayonetta has a lot of parts that take you out of fighting, I would have liked a 'skip all cutscenes' mode having seen them all once, but puzzles? The hardest puzzles revolved around platforming which was actually well done, and still short. You really would have to be pretty slow to have trouble figuring out the non combat aspects of bayonetta.

One of my favs this generation, coming from someone who is much more a ninja gaiden fan than devil may cry.
RT + back instantly skips a cutscene, makes it easier. Too bad there are still little parts that you can't skip.

Jintor said:
God I hate attacking out of cutscenes. I DON'T HAVE WITCH TIME IRL, GUYS, I CAN'T PREDICT THIS SHIT

They kinda show the enemy prepping for it during the scene, it's not like they just drop you in without context.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Jintor said:
God I hate attacking out of cutscenes. I DON'T HAVE WITCH TIME IRL, GUYS, I CAN'T PREDICT THIS SHIT

I agree it's annoying at first, but the game is built around replaying, so eventually you'll remember when this stuff happens. Until then, you can always dodge as soon as a cutscene ends. Still requires good reflexes, but hey, you're playing Bayonetta.

Mar said:
I didn't find it to be expensive, or at least, not for what you get. Like I said it's fast and very well packed. This was my only purchase though so who knows, my next shipment which will arrive either tomorrow or next week might be a disaster. We'll see.

My order this time was AUD$177. That's two of these Eyes of Bayonettas and one of the limited edition guide books. That's going to be a very heavy package so the price seems right to me (the guide book alone is very heavy. You could kill a dude).

I've got the guidebook and yeah. It weighs a ton. Thanks for the tips.. I will find out where I will get one once I get paid.

Synless

I just got done with both parts of the prologue, I can already tell this game is going to be nuts!!! "Fly Me to the Moon" interesting Evangelion throwback, I'm liking it so far.

Fimbulvetr said:
They kinda show the enemy prepping for it during the scene, it's not like they just drop you in without context.

The trouble is precisely that you don't see this if you skip said cutscene! I'd go as far as to say this is probably the single biggest and most unforgivable flaw in the entire game, and I hope they learn from it in future games.

Giolon

Strummerjones said:
The trouble is precisely that you don't see this if you skip said cutscene! I'd go as far as to say this is probably the single biggest and most unforgivable flaw in the entire game, and I hope they learn from it in future games.

Don't skip the cutscene you impatient monkeys!

I wonder how bad the PS3 version would be to someone who has played the hell out of the 360 version... because since I got rid of my 360... I may be that someone :lol

I pray the rumors are true. Shinobi with the Bayonetta engine.

My problem with Bayonetta was not that it was goofy, cheesy and tacky to such a extreme that I couldnt take it seriously. it was just that the technical aspects, fighting, framerate - it was all done so much better than the serious games like God of War that tries to have a cool story.

So I couldnt help but wish that Bayonetta cloud have wrapped that epic story around it, with a cool relateable character.

I hope MGS Rising and Devils Third will deliver, but something tells me that they won't have the frantic pace of Bayonetta..

DeVeAn

Vigilant Walrus said:

My problem with Bayonetta was not that it was goofy, cheesy and tacky to such a extreme that I couldnt take it seriously. it was just that the technical aspects, fighting, framerate - it was all done so much better than the serious games like God of War that tries to have a cool story.

So I couldnt help but wish that Bayonetta cloud have wrapped that epic story around it, with a cool relateable character.

I hope MGS Rising and Devils Third will deliver, but something tells me that they won't have the frantic pace of Bayonetta..
I heard about this hope it happens.

I was so close to getting the game for 360 but Gamestop gutted all 5 copies of the game. I just can't buy opened games as new.

Synless

brandonh83 said:
I wonder how bad the PS3 version would be to someone who has played the hell out of the 360 version... because since I got rid of my 360... I may be that someone :lol
I would haon preferred this on the ps3, but after all the bitching about how bad it was there was no way I was getting it on ps3 post patch or not. It is really good looking on the 360 though.

Slurmer

Banned
brandonh83 said:

not too bad. they apparently patched the "6 seconds to pause the game" issue. the chapter with the disappearing floor near the end is terrible though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Strummerjones said:

But if you skip the cutscene yourself then you know exactly when to dodge a potential surprise attack. The biggest and most unforgivable flaws in the game are the space harrier level followed closely by the motorcycle level. Pure garbage.

Giolon said:
Don't skip the cutscene you impatient monkeys!

The cutscenes are also garbage.

Synless said:
I would haon preferred this on the ps3, but after all the bitching about how bad it was there was no way I was getting it on ps3 post patch or not. It is really good looking on the 360 though.

Yeah, I adored the game on 360, but I was thinking about getting it again since I got rid of the system. It's just one of those games I love so much that I feel dirty for not owning anymore. I guess that may be reason enough to get the PS3 version despite the shitty port, I was just wondering how truly awful it would be though especially after playing the 360 version a lot.

Vigilant Walrus said:
it was just that the technical aspects, fighting, framerate - it was all done so much better than the serious games like God of War that tries to have a cool story.

I hope you only mean the first GOW.

Sagitario

hey_it's_that_dog said:
But if you skip the cutscene yourself then you know exactly when to dodge a potential surprise attack. The biggest and most unforgivable flaws in the game are the space harrier level followed closely by the motorcycle level. Pure garbage.

Completely agree!

hey_it's_that_dog said:

Most of them are! Specially the static ones...

I really liked Bayonetta as a character though...

hey_it's_that_dog said:

And the rocket level, way too long. I was very annoyed when doing that on the hardest mode, just used items since it was so boring.

Don't agree with the cutscenes, I loved them, although they could tone them down a little at the beginning. Also don't agree with the technical aspect, it runs very smooth and looks very good. On 360 that is.

hey_it's_that_dog said:

How are those parts of the game flawed or pure garbage, exactly?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
mjemirzian said:
How are those parts of the game flawed or pure garbage, exactly?

They are too long. They involve none of the game's combat mechanics, which are sublime. The motorcycle controls feel cheap and sloppy, and that doesn't matter anyway because the driving section presents absolutely no challenge (unless you want a perfect platinum, in which case I can imagine it's difficult and extremely tedious). Completely inessential because the game doesn't need that kind of gameplay change-up to remain continually interesting and challenging. Hence, in contrast to the "real" levels in the game, garbage.

Oh, and you have to replay the missile stage in order to replay the best Jeanne fight which is an inconceivably bad design decision.

Prophet Steve said:
And the rocket level, way too long. I was very annoyed when doing that on the hardest mode, just used items since it was so boring.

Don't agree with the cutscenes, I loved them, although they could tone them down a little at the beginning. Also don't agree with the technical aspect, it runs very smooth and looks very good. On 360 that is.

I watched them once, could take them or leave them, and was happy that there's a button command to skip them. You're probably addressing someone else's complaint, but I only complained about the PS3's technical problems (and that was quite a while ago in the thread). I'm sure it plays great on 360.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The motorcycle controls feel cheap and sloppy, and that doesn't matter anyway because the driving section presents absolutely no challenge (unless you want a perfect platinum, in which case I can imagine it's difficult and extremely tedious).

Actually PPing the bike section is easy.

Especially since only trucks, gates, and enemy attacks damage you.

I only even have trouble with the fight afterward because getting a good combo score in that fight is annoying. :/

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Fimbulvetr said:
Actually PPing the bike section is easy.

Especially since only trucks, gates, and enemy attacks damage you.

I only even have trouble with the fight afterward because getting a good combo score in that fight is annoying. :/

And in order to redo that fight, you have to redo the bike section, and therefore, garbage. :p

Oh yeah... I suspected I was forgetting something but I couldn't put my finger on it. I agree that using that method would be far less annoying, though still kind of annoying given how long loading takes (talking about PS3 version).

Mar

hey_it's_that_dog said:
And in order to redo that fight, you have to redo the bike section, and therefore, garbage. :p

For a PP? No. The quit to title and restart takes you to the last checkpoint in every area of the game.

george_us

Vigilant Walrus said:

Ok seriously, how can anyone relate more to Kratos, who slays gods and titans, or Raiden, who's a goddamn cyborg, than Bayonetta?

And not every goddamn action game needs to be a steroid-injected epic. Sometimes I like a goofy, ridiculous storyline where everything isn't taken so seriously. Bayonetta is one of those games, and thus it is awesome.

How would you even take the goofy aspects away from the story without changing the whole personality of the game? Half of the stuff happening would make even less sense with a more serious/epic tone, plus there's no way Bayonetta's moveset wouldn't be drastically altered.

I want to do a break-dancing spin move while shooting pistols from my feet, and rocket launchers in my hands at angels, and Bayonetta lets me do that. "Epic stories, and cool relatable characters" be damned.

Giolon

george_us said:
Ok seriously, how can anyone relate more to Kratos, who slays gods and titans, or Raiden, who's a goddamn cyborg, than Bayonetta?

And not every goddamn action game needs to be a steroid-injected epic. Sometimes I like a goofy, ridiculous storyline where everything isn't taken so seriously. Bayonetta is one of those games, and thus it is awesome.

Maybe Vigilant Walrus can't relate to anyone with a vagina.

In other news, look at this Garage Kit that's for sale (unpainted T.T) at WonderFest:

bayonettacolour3-550x.jpg
bayonettacolour2-550x.jpg
bayonettacolourdetail-550x.jpg
bayonettacolour1-550x.jpg

It's 1/4 scale too so it's gonna be $$$$$. If you're into that sort of thing. I think it's beautiful. Boobs are a bit exaggerated though.

Jintor

Actually, the boobs are exagerrated on Bayonetta, not the model. >>

Anyway, just finished normal mode.

DID I JUST PUNCH GOD INTO THE SUN?

I JUST PUNCHED GOD INTO THE SUN.

I just started playing this today and I'm quite enjoying it so far. The only game I've ever liked in this genre is Devil May Cry, so I'm not as hardcore into it a most of you guys in this thread.

I'm really love the randomness of the game. Although the first hour has been too cutscene heavy, most of them were at least entertaining as they were completely ridiculous. The same goes for the fighting; it's great to take out half a dozen angels with a gigantic axe or transform into some huge monster and gobble up a boss.

It's slightly too Japanese for me in places, though. I don't like how the flow of the game is broken up by info about items I've just ran over, new enemies being placed into some sort of log I'll never look at and the scoring/ranking at the end of each chapter. It feels like last gen game design as I like my games to be as fluid as possible these days (something that the gameplay most definitely is!) I hate the character of Bayonetta too. She seems designed for weird otakus who collect figures of anime girls with big breasts. I don't know if it's going for that market or simply parodying it, but I can imagine guys wanking over most of the shots of her crotch and breasts. Seems tacky.

Surprisingly, though, I'm not hating the J Pop. Out of context I would be driven mad by the soundtrack, but contrasted with the action of the game it's quite charming.

I realise I'm not the target audience for this game by any stretch of the imagination but I'll hopefully be able to put up with the aspects I don't like as I imagine that every chapter will have at least a handful of cool moments that will make the time I invest with it worthwhile.

I know this is GAF's darling of 2010 - don't hurt me! -_-

Giolon

Foliorum Viridum said:
I hate the character of Bayonetta too. She seems designed for weird otakus who collect figures of anime girls with big breasts. I don't know if it's going for that market or simply parodying it, but I can imagine guys wanking over most of the shots of her crotch and breasts. Seems tacky.

As one of those guys who collections anime figures (you see, if they don't have large breasts, they look like 12 year olds and I'm not into that (nor the ones that have large breasts and still look 12)), I can't imagine anyone wanking over the Bayonetta cutscenes. They are tacky b/c they're supposed to be. I personally find them hilarious for their absurdity of taking sexuality to the extreme. Bayonetta (the character) to me is all about exaggeration, absurdity, and satire.

And no, I won't be owning that figure above. It's a little too "WHOA!" o_0 for me.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I just started playing this today and I'm quite enjoying it so far. The only game I've ever liked in this genre is Devil May Cry, so I'm not as hardcore into it a most of you guys in this thread.

I'm really love the randomness of the game. Although the first hour has been too cutscene heavy, most of them were at least entertaining as they were completely ridiculous. The same goes for the fighting; it's great to take out half a dozen angels with a gigantic axe or transform into some huge monster and gobble up a boss.

It's slightly too Japanese for me in places, though. I don't like how the flow of the game is broken up by info about items I've just ran over, new enemies being placed into some sort of log I'll never look at and the scoring/ranking at the end of each chapter. It feels like last gen game design as I like my games to be as fluid as possible these days (something that the gameplay most definitely is!) I hate the character of Bayonetta too. She seems designed for weird otakus who collect figures of anime girls with big breasts. I don't know if it's going for that market or simply parodying it, but I can imagine guys wanking over most of the shots of her crotch and breasts. Seems tacky.

Surprisingly, though, I'm not hating the J Pop. Out of context I would be driven mad by the soundtrack, but contrasted with the action of the game it's quite charming.

I realise I'm not the target audience for this game by any stretch of the imagination but I'll hopefully be able to put up with the aspects I don't like as I imagine that every chapter will have at least a handful of cool moments that will make the time I invest with it worthwhile.

I know this is GAF's darling of 2010 - don't hurt me! -_-
I think this game is still a lot more fluid then most games, it's one of the things I like about the game. But we won't hurt you, you are pretty positive about the game. :lol

It's a shame you don't care about the score, since the game is really focused about that.

And the reason that the rocket and motorcycle parts were crap is because it wasn't deep, it took too long and was generic, it was unpolished and I hated that I couldn't see everything clear because I was in my view. When I had an big axe on my back it was even worse. And on infinite climax mode it was just frustrating and even more boring.

Tokubetsu

I don't get the hate for Bayonetta as a character. I thought she was cool. My biggest problems with the game is its a bit too long and the ending didn't deliver a great "HOLY FUCK THIS IS AWESOME" moment I was expecting too. Mainly because that tower climb/mini boss rush section was a bit underwhelming.

Shinobi with Bayo's engine gets me all hot and bothered though.

Jintor

Foliorum Viridum said:

I wasn't aware that this was actually Japanese game design - information on collectables being available for your perusal as soon as you pick it up seems fine to me, and it only really happens withnew stuff anyway.

And Bayonetta herself is... well, there's a heapload of gender essays out there on her. In any case, she seems like something I would normally be extremely offended by but there's something about her (and the game) that means that I just go "WOOOOOOOOOO"

Top Bottom