• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Mar

Giolon said:
I received my copy of Eyes of Bayonetta from Kinokuniya today. Truth be told, I'm a little disappointed with this artbook. It's paperback and comes in a cardboard sleeve. Half the space in the sleeve is taken up by a box for the DVD.

Coming in at 224 pages, inside the book itself, there's a ton of concept art for Bayonetta, but it's all pretty small. To be fair, there are probably hundreds of them. The character artwork section takes up about 1/3 of the book, and Bayonetta herself takes up about half this section.

The remaining two thirds are comprised of the enemies and items in the game. Each enemy has at best a single art piece, some have none, along with their render. All of the advertising copy appears in 2nd to last section, but non are larger than 1/4 of a page.

There are also two separate fold out posters that contain the renders of all character and enemy models in the game (the same as is shown in game after the credits).

Finally, the DVD accompanying this is region encoded. Really, enterbrain? REALLY!? This isn't a fucking movie, it's a behind the scenes DVD. Fortunately, VLC takes care of that problem easily. (Anybody interested in translating this thing by the way?)

I purchase a fair number of artbooks, and this one is about average at best. A good portion of this material can be seen in the UK-published Bayonetta Strategy Guide. It's hardcover and comes with a ribbon bookmark that matches the ones worn in Bayonetta's hair. I give this a 6.5 / 10 - and this is coming from a HUUUGE Bayonetta fan.

Yep, pretty much how I feel, and what I said further up this page: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22555541&postcount=7705

Such a cheap production compared with all the other stuff released for this game. Even the soundtrack box set is beautiful. But this supposed pinnacle of Bayonetta collectibles is laughable at best. There's some nice art in it, but it's few and far between.

Not worth the money, even for a die hard fan. Get the limited edition guide book instead. You can still buy it new on amazon.jp.

leng jai

Received the OST for this game in the mail today. The packaging is absolutely stunning, you gotta love the way the Japs game developers package their soundtracks.

I might have to rebuy the CE guide again because frankly it arrived in terrible condition (from what I've read a lot of other people had the same problem). I bought mine from Zavvi. Can people who got one in good condition share where they got it from? Amazon?

Mar

leng jai said:
Received the OST for this game in the mail today. The packaging is absolutely stunning, you gotta love the way the Japs game developers package their soundtracks.

I might have to rebuy the CE guide again because frankly it arrived in terrible condition (from what I've read a lot of other people had the same problem). I bought mine from Zavvi. Can people who got one in good condition share where they got it from? Amazon?

amazon.jp. Well packed, factory sealed, and on a hard cardboard slice and sealed onto that slice so it doesn't move around in the box.

leng jai

Mar said:
amazon.jp. Well packed, factory sealed, and on a hard cardboard slice and sealed onto that slice so it doesn't move around in the box.

How much was that?

I wanted the Artbook as well but after you guys talked it down I decided to pass.

Jintor

Goddamn you Monocle, now I have to buy that guide

Oh well, that's my 'online purchases' account anyway...

/edit Goddamn Route 666 threw three Graciouses or Gloriouses at me... argh, I got murdered about six times before I just switched to the shotguns and managed to just whittle away their health. Oh man, Hard Mode is fantastic... but so very hard...

I can't get the hang of countering. I just can't. I don't have the reflexes. :<

//edit Actually, shotgun/rocket tonfas is ridiculously effective against Gracious/Glorious... jeeze. Should've tried that before. Finally finished hard mode...

picked this up for $10 like a month ago. finally sat down to play it, it's everything i ever wanted it to be

i haven't had this much fun since i imported the first viewtiful joe. platinum games is at the top of my dev list for a loooooong time now

Gravijah

Just beat normal mode yesterday, probably one of the best games I have ever played. Going through hard mode now for fun... will definitely be day one whenever a Bayonetta 2 comes out.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Just so people know, both versions of the game are $20 right now at bestbuy.

And is there one version to get over the other?

Make a new thread, then those guys who wanted to wait for that price can get it already.

Currently doing a Pure Platinum run through all difficulties with the exception of anything less than Normal mode.

I can't even PP normal mode(granted I've done it for most of the stages, it's hard to get a Platinum combo rating for some fights though). :(

Especially since I took a took a 2 month long hiatus to burn through my backlog.

I've been practicing in hard mode.

I finally finished the game a couple of weeks ago, very satisfied even though I continued like crazy. Lent it to a friend now and he's messaging me talking about how hard the game is :lol

Fimbulvetr said:
Make a new thread, then those guys who wanted to wait for that price can get it already.

I can't even PP normal mode(granted I've done it for most of the stages, it's hard to get a Platinum combo rating for some fights though). :(

Especially since I took a took a 2 month long hiatus to burn through my backlog.

I've been practicing in hard mode.

Ok, thread has been made.

Okay. What the Hell. I just got Pure Platinums on every verse in the epilogue aside from the fight with Jubileus - which I got a Platinum on. I hit the chapter ranking and it says I used an item... WHAT? I didn't use a fucking item! Now I have a gold for that chapter. Is this a glitch?

Sagitario

Maybe you accidentally pressed the d-pad? You didn't die, right? It counts as an item...

I can't imagine myself trying to get Platinum in all the verses :p , you must be really good :D

Sagitario

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ugh, getting my ass kicked by the
Chapter 6 or 7 I forget which boss
:(

Temperantia?

Once you get its patterns, it's not so hard... later on, you can use this chapter/boss to farm halos :p

I remember trying many times the first time with this boss... each time I advanced to the next phase, I'd die :lol ...

Electric Durga is a good weapon for this fight IMO, I don't remember if by that chapter you get it though...

Edit: I just checked, Durga is given to you in chapter 5, you're good to go...

Sagitario said:
Temperantia?

Once you get its patterns, it's not so hard... later on, you can use this chapter/boss to farm halos :p

I remember trying many times the first time with this boss... each time I advanced to the next phase, I'd die :lol ...

Electric Durga is a good weapon for this fight IMO, I don't remember if by that chapter you get it though...

Ya, it's just frustrating because first time you play a boss it's so overwhelming until you get used to it's pattern. I'm up to chapter ix now.

Replayed the chapter. Got the Platinum rank.

You disgust me...
:p

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Str0ngStyle said:
Is the ps3 version really that bad?

You could read practically any other page in the thread to see this discussed over and over, but the short story is that the install patch fixed the loading problems, the framerate is still occasionally problematic, and the image quality is generally kind of horrible, but for 20-30 bucks it's a very worthwhile purchase.

GONz

Forgot to post that I platinum'ed the game last Sunday :D (ain't even done with it! There so many things to unlock in that game!)

Momo

Banned
I'm getting the ps3 version (I do have an xbox), I spend more time on ps3 due to friends and various other reasons

Mar

Sagitario said:

Electric Durga absolutely fucking destroys this boss. In pretty much every difficulty level all you need to do is stand still and mash the attack button. Sometimes, you have to walk somewhere else and mash the attack button.

StuBurns

Banned
Momo said:
I'm getting the ps3 version (I do have an xbox), I spend more time on ps3 due to friends and various other reasons
Get the 360 version please. I am a big PS3 fan, I think it's a far better console, however, this is not a normal slightly sub-par port, the difference is massive and there is no online to care about.

Gee

Bayonetta was one of the biggest reasons for me to finally buy a 360. Especially after seeing/playing both versions.

StuBurns said:
Get the 360 version please. I am a big PS3 fan, I think it's a far better console, however, this is not a normal slightly sub-par port, the difference is massive and there is no online to care about.

If he told you the real reason for the choice (Trophies), you would laugh at him.

Picked this up on sale and I'm having a bit of trouble. I've S ranked most of Hard on DMC4 (and most of DMD on DMC3), so I can do well in action games, but I feel a bit overwhelmed with Bayonetta. I am relying mostly on trying to engage witch time because I have no idea what to do offensively. With DMC, the move set was limited and the weapons introduced slowly. Here, I have no idea where to start with combos. There are so many!

I also feel lost with the upgrades. I don't even know what the first weapon upgrade is. It looks like the shotguns I already have. Is it just an upgrade for those? As for the rest, there are just so many I'm not sure where to start.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
prodystopian said:
Picked this up on sale and I'm having a bit of trouble. I've S ranked most of Hard on DMC4 (and most of DMD on DMC3), so I can do well in action games, but I feel a bit overwhelmed with Bayonetta. I am relying mostly on trying to engage witch time because I have no idea what to do offensively. With DMC, the move set was limited and the weapons introduced slowly. Here, I have no idea where to start with combos. There are so many!

I also feel lost with the upgrades. I don't even know what the first weapon upgrade is. It looks like the shotguns I already have. Is it just an upgrade for those? As for the rest, there are just so many I'm not sure where to start.

Weapons don't have upgrades. You can buy an extra pair of certain weapons to equip two sets at once (hands and feet). As for moves to buy, start with air dodge and bat within. You'll learn combos as you play more, and there's a move list during load/practice screens so you can get a sense of what the combo structure is like in general. Despite giving you pretty much all the combos from the very start, the game is friendly in that almost any combination of punch and kick will result in something good happening.

prodystopian said:

Those aren't weapon upgrades those are alt weapons(example: unlike the scarborough fair, you only start with one pair of shotguns; so if you wanna equip them to all limbs you gotta buy the second pair).

Buy techniques first.

As for combos, you don't have to master all of them. Just try a few in the loading screen and use the ones you feel "right" with. Pressing Back(360)/Select(PS3) in the load screen pauses it so you can practice as long as you want. Pressing it again will take off practice mode.

Mar said:
Electric Durga absolutely fucking destroys this boss. In pretty much every difficulty level all you need to do is stand still and mash the attack button. Sometimes, you have to walk somewhere else and mash the attack button.
Kilgore up in this bitch. Although, yeah, Durga is a great weapon to use if you don't have Kilgore.

Daigoro

Momo said:

double dip bitch! :p

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Just beat the game. SO AWESOME! :O Definitely picks up after the cringeworthy beginning.

there is nothing cringe-worthy in this game. NOTHING!

now go play Hard.

EekTheKat

Okay I've revisted Bayonetta after taking a few months off, and literally in 5 minutes I picked up right where I left off :lol

That and I've learned/noticed quite a few things since my first playthroughs :

This game has a lot of audio/video queues in the actual combat, giving you huge hints as to when to dodge or hit the button for the next part of the combo.

Every move/weapon seems to work extremely well together - I'm now playing with a
Kulshedra/SaiFong
combo that I never thought was good the first time around.

I still can't dodge offset intuitively (I have to really think about doing it to pull it off), but maybe that will click after a few tries.

Letting you beat up angels dressed up as a
gunchuck wielding nun on ice skates
is just too absurdly awesome for words.

Montresor

God I love this game. It's like they took everything amazing about God Hand, threw in a budget about 100 times bigger, made the main character female and poof, amazing game comes out.

I'm currently playing the game on the second difficulty you unlock (aka
non-stop infinite climax
).

My favourite part of the game is the adorable cuteness of the "little one." <3

EekTheKat said:
Okay I've revisted Bayonetta after taking a few months off, and literally in 5 minutes I picked up right where I left off :lol

That and I've learned/noticed quite a few things since my first playthroughs :

This game has a lot of audio/video queues in the actual combat, giving you huge hints as to when to dodge or hit the button for the next part of the combo.

Every move/weapon seems to work extremely well together - I'm now playing with a
Kulshedra/SaiFong
combo that I never thought was good the first time around.

I still can't dodge offset intuitively (I have to really think about doing it to pull it off), but maybe that will click after a few tries.

Letting you beat up angels dressed up as a
gunchuck wielding nun on ice skates
is just too absurdly awesome for words.
Oh my god. Your username. I've been thinking about that show for the past couple weeks and couldn't remember its name. Eek the Cat! I always thought it was Bob the Cat or something. :lol

TheOddOne said:
So GAF,

I'm can't seem to beat
Jeanne on Chapter II "Vigrid City of Deja Vu" on hard

Any tips?
Learn her patterns. Typically dodge-offset PK)P (with Shuraba + Durga) weaves after you dodge her combo weaves. When she evades, she will do one of three things: 1.) Instant weave. 2.) Summon a demon. 3.) Shoot her guns. Typically, it's going to be the first two.

TheOddOne said:
So GAF,

I'm can't seem to beat
Jeanne on Chapter II "Vigrid City of Deja Vu" on hard

Any tips?

PPKKK(or PPPKKK) works best on her; she just parries you if you go for too many hits, so using moves that knock her down before she can parry are recommended.

And you you need to catch your breath run as far away as possible, her AI is non aggressive during her first fight(she only counters your moves) and will literally stand still if you stay away from her.

Samara

Wow, seems like my Xbox 360 hates this game. Everytime it loads it says disc error, have to restart or clean it (its a brand new disc)

I tried playing on a MU and her shoe has this weird glitch and then it crashes. At least I made it to the train station. it was fun and not hard to control; just that cutscenes are beyond horrible: Oh My God.

and how do you do the DOT or point in the move list?

Top Bottom