• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

eXcalibur

Neo Member
Mar said:

You and me! Can´t wait to get my hands on it :D

I don´t know if you have seen them already, but here are some previews of what you will see: http://www.segashiro.com/2010/07/19/take-a-peak-at-the-eyes-of-bayonetta-art-book/

I give the highlight to the following ones, some people might remember one member of Platinum Games holding a pillow with that picture :lol

2ns56k5.jpg

28ib37r.jpg

*__*

edit: Is that the Bayonetta 8-bit thing that I see on the 2nd picture? Or are my eyes tricking me?

Mar

Giolon said:
I personally find them hilarious for their absurdity of taking sexuality to the extreme. Bayonetta (the character) to me is all about exaggeration, absurdity, and satire.

Same. They are absurd but that's by design. I found myself laughing out loud in a number of scenes. I liken it to Austin Powers style satire - over sexualised and ridiculous, and therefore hilarious.

eXcalibur said:
Is that the Bayonetta 8-bit thing that I see on the 2nd picture? Or are my eyes tricking me?

Well spotted. It's either that or a random screen grab from Wonderboy. And that would be weird.

Jintor

I doubt this will ever happen, but will these artbooks ever be translated into English? :<

I love delicious art, but I love reading about things even more...

Mar

My copy of The Eyes of Bayonetta arrived today, and I must say I'm disappointed in the quality. Compared to everything else they've put out (collectors edition game, gun, soundtrack and limited guide book) this feels very cheap. Flimsy cardboard and the paper used for the posters and book are pretty flimsy too, not what you'd expect. Considering all the other things I've mentioned came in embossed thick hardcovers, and the paper glossy card - especially the guide book that feels like you could break a door open with - this thing just feels like I could have printed it out on my inkjet and not noticed the difference.

On the plus side, the art book is packed full of stuff. It's kind of worth it for that alone. Shame about how cheap everything feels... Makes me wonder if they had to scale down after sales weren't what they were hoping.

I've yet to watch the DVD.

Jintor

So the Moon/Counter ability... the game says you can only activate it with the left trigger, and I've certainly done that before, but is there another way to do so? I thought I saw GAF talking about activating it by hitting attack just as they attack, or something... that true?

Mar

Jintor said:
So the Moon/Counter ability... the game says you can only activate it with the left trigger, and I've certainly done that before, but is there another way to do so? I thought I saw GAF talking about activating it by hitting attack just as they attack, or something... that true?

No, you activate it via pressing in the left analogue stick just as an attack connects. I think there's like a butterfly effect that happens on you just as you're hit, and that's when you need to press it for the full counter.

Also, I just watched the DVD and while I didn't understand a single word (it's all in Japanese) I really enjoyed it. The gameplay of the prototype was especially great, where it looked like the engine was coded on pre ps1 era hardware.

sonicmj1

Mar said:
No, you activate it via pressing in the left analogue stick just as an attack connects. I think there's like a butterfly effect that happens on you just as you're hit, and that's when you need to press it for the full counter.

Really? I always activate it by pressing the left analogue stick towards the enemy attacking me just as the attack connects. It won't stop attacks coming from above you, but it can stop just about anything else.

Mar

sonicmj1 said:
Really? I always activate it by pressing the left analogue stick towards the enemy attacking me just as the attack connects. It won't stop attacks coming from above you, but it can stop just about anything else.

Hmm... I think you're right. This might explain why I found it so hard to use...

Beezy

sonicmj1 said:
Yeah, that's how you're suppose to use it.

Synless

I'm really glad I went with my better senses and got this on the 360. I noticed some slowdown and massive screen tearing in this version, I would can only imagine the horrors the PS3 version must have been. Gorgeous game for 60fps though, looks better than I expected it to.

*Edit* Wow, there are so many little details from Clover studio games such as the grass growing behind the wolf thing you turn into, or when that guy mentions Silvia, Ammy, and a few other names. I'm loving it so far, but I've been doing pretty poorly. I've gotten a few rock statues, :lol

Jintor

sonicmj1 said:

That's the only way? Thanks guys. Better get counter practicing... I can only really manage it against Affinities at the moment...

Synless said:
*Edit* Wow, there are so many little details from Clover studio games such as the grass growing behind the wolf thing you turn into, or when that guy mentions Silvia, Ammy, and a few other names. I'm loving it so far, but I've been doing pretty poorly. I've gotten a few rock statues, :lol

Check that link to some of the art up in eXcalibur's post.

He named his cats after Trish, Claire, and Sylvia. Ammy is a husky. :lol

Jintor

Jesus christ hard mode is hard.

I thought they just rebalanced the enemies or whatever but i finally noticed that all the enemy movements are sped up slightly, so you have like a second less warning time for reactions, everything seems way more aggressive, and everything will fuck your shit up

Thankfully the good old 'stay airbound with the whip for the entire verse' trick still works, at least in wide open areas

Jintor said:
Jesus christ hard mode is hard.

I thought they just rebalanced the enemies or whatever but i finally noticed that all the enemy movements are sped up slightly, so you have like a second less warning time for reactions, everything seems way more aggressive, and everything will fuck your shit up

Thankfully the good old 'stay airbound with the whip for the entire verse' trick still works, at least in wide open areas

You should be getting better at the game the more you play it so aside from Gracious and Glorious, Hard mode shouldn't be THAT crazy. Infinite Climax, yeah, that's like a new game, but Hard isn't that bad.

Also, I hope you've been upgrading your health/magic bars. If not, you really should've taken care of those before bumping the difficulty up.

Sagitario

I didn't find Infinite Climax THAT hard and I suck at swift paced/quick reactions/fast reflexes action games...

I fought Gracious and Glorious so many freaking times that I ended up learning their movements :lol

Jintor

Net_Wrecker said:
You should be getting better at the game the more you play it so aside from Gracious and Glorious, Hard mode shouldn't be THAT crazy. Infinite Climax, yeah, that's like a new game, but Hard isn't that bad.

Also, I hope you've been upgrading your health/magic bars. If not, you really should've taken care of those before bumping the difficulty up.

It was mainly the prologue effing my shit up. I'm not actually dying in chapters at all, but I am taking substantial amounts of damage, which is different from my normal re-runs.

But seriously eff you 5 sets of grace and glory

greenjerk said:
finally picked the game up... any tips for a noob?

Well there are a number of nice guides and videos on the net with lots of advice.. try gamefaqs first. Like any well crafted game of skill, the advice depends on what your goals are - want to get good scores? want to destroy everything with little effort? want to learn how to do huge combos? speedruns? etc. It's an action game that can be just about anything you want depending on your skill and goals, which is why it's so enduring and loved.

But my #1 advice would be to memorize enemy attacks because dodging them is extremely important.

Aru

Okay, I got through half of the game. Time for some impressions.
So far, the game is fun. But not epic. If you don't go for the high score, there is little challenge since you have infinite continues and get a full health bar after dying.

I'm enjoying it, but so far I prefer DMC 3 and 4 to this.

I finally got past Gracious and Glorious last night *lol* I hadn't touched the game in 5 months because I was stuck at that part. Shotgun/Feet Fire Claws did the trick.. now to see if I can beat the game.

Jintor

Aru said:
Okay, I got through half of the game. Time for some impressions.
So far, the game is fun. But not epic. If you don't go for the high score, there is little challenge since you have infinite continues and get a full health bar after dying.

I'm enjoying it, but so far I prefer DMC 3 and 4 to this.

Using a continue hurts my soul

(I do it anyway, but still)

I use continues.. tons and tons of continues. If I didn't I'd still be on the first chapter. I know my ranking is going to blow but this is my first play and I got the game back in January so.. I didn't want to put myself in easy mode.

Aru

Fimbulvetr said:
How the hell are you even dieing so often?

I don't use any item. And the enemies hit pretty hard. It's easy to lose 1/3 of your health bar if you get caught in a combo.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
As someone who sucks at action games I found the normal difficulty to be pretty easy. I haven't even tried the automatic/casual difficulty or whatever it's called. I found hard mode to be challenging, pretty damn tough at times. The encounters with normal enemies aren't that bad but I must have died like 12 times fighting the three Grace in Glories in traffic at the beginning of route 666. That part kicked my ass but it felt good when I finally beat it.

I still haven't finished hard mode. I feel like I'm ready to play this again so I'll probably just start from the beginning on hard and go all the way through.
Great game.

Aru

Well, the game doesn't really punish you for dying in Normal mode, that's why I don't bother trying to play extremely well.
I find it somewhat assisted too. Maybe it's because there is an evade button.

In DMC, it's between you and the game. You have to evade, there is no button for that.

Maybe hard mode is a different thing though.

Aru said:
Chapter 12 right now.
In the first chapters, enemies don't do much damage, but after chapter 5 they hit pretty hard.

You don't have the Bat Within technique?

You can use it to break out of combos.

Aru

Fimbulvetr said:
You don't have the Bat Within technique?

You can use it to break out of combos.

Yeah I got it like 2 chapters ago, but I wasn't using it properly it seems :\

brentech

Have this arriving via GameFly (for 360) this week. Being that it's not my favorite genre, figured I'd just rent it, but hoping I enjoy as I did Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I always go into these games real tentative...

Prophet Steve said:
Nope, the game is pretty easy, maybe you just need the right items.

Yeah, climax mode really isn't that hard unless you are going for PP. That's the beauty of this game, I feel. When I first played the game on Climax, I got my butt kicked, now I'm nearly untouchable. It's easy now, and that's how it should be. That's the definition of mastery. If you sink 60 hours + into a game, it should be easy. That's my view. There are alot of games, where you invest a ton of hours and still struggle. I would say that mastering a game like that is either impossible, or it's a cheap POS.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
brentech said:
Have this arriving via GameFly (for 360) this week. Being that it's not my favorite genre, figured I'd just rent it, but hoping I enjoy as I did Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I always go into these games real tentative...

I haven't been able to motivate myself to finish pretty much any action game I've played aside from Bayonetta. Something about them just doesn't click with me but I've put over 30 hours into Bayonetta and I'm still enjoying it several months later. Hope you like it as well.

Jintor

palpabl_purpura said:
If you sink 60 hours + into a game, it should be easy. That's my view. There are alot of games, where you invest a ton of hours and still struggle. I would say that mastering a game like that is either impossible, or it's a cheap POS.

I'm 30 hours in (or so) but still getting my ass kicked on hard mode. Completing the levels themselves isn't so hard (completing them and getting higher than silver is, but let's not go there for now) but the bloody Alfheims are next to impossible at my current level of talent. I just tried the no stipulation on in Chapter 2 for almost an hour, it's just impossible for me to do that thing without getting hit 3 times and failing :<

Once I got up to the two Beloveds, but then I accidentally taunted one and it beat the crap out of me. Those armoured Affinities are absolute douches too, keep screwing up my whip attacks...

That said, when I go back to muck around in normal mode it's gonna be easy as

Well, the game doesn't really punish you for dying in Normal mode, that's why I don't bother trying to play extremely well.
I find it somewhat assisted too. Maybe it's because there is an evade button.

In DMC, it's between you and the game. You have to evade, there is no button for that.

Maybe hard mode is a different thing though.

It does punish you for dying, it's called dying. Dying is in itself a punishment. If you don't see it as one, well, I guess you've transcended my petty game-playing ways :D

I dunno. Any game I've ever seen that made you evade just ended up feeling really clunky to me. Bayonetta flows.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jintor said:
It does punish you for dying, it's called dying. Dying is in itself a punishment. If you don't see it as one, well, I guess you've transcended my petty game-playing ways :D

Having to hear that old hag say THE SHADOW REMAINS CAST everytime you die is enough punishment for me.
Dear god that got old in the tougher parts.

Jintor said:
I dunno. Any game I've ever seen that made you evade just ended up feeling really clunky to me. Bayonetta flows.

So true. Dodge Offset is a HUGELY underrated feature to Bayonetta, and should be adopted by EVERY single combo-oriented action game with a Dodge/Evade button. That little feature puts the combat in this game on another level from everything else IMO. Nothing feels as fluid, and fun to play as Bayonetta. You're constantly doing something cool looking, even when you play defense.

Net_Wrecker said:
So true. Dodge Offset is a HUGELY underrated feature to Bayonetta, and should be adopted by EVERY single combo-oriented action game with a Dodge/Evade button. That little feature puts the combat in this game on another level from everything else IMO. Nothing feels as fluid, and fun to play as Bayonetta. You're constantly doing something cool looking, even when you play defense.

They'd all have to have a convenient dodge button/trigger too because Dodge Offset won't work with Right-Stick dodging or DMC dodging.

Jintor said:
I'm 30 hours in (or so) but still getting my ass kicked on hard mode. Completing the levels themselves isn't so hard (completing them and getting higher than silver is, but let's not go there for now) but the bloody Alfheims are next to impossible at my current level of talent. I just tried the no stipulation on in Chapter 2 for almost an hour, it's just impossible for me to do that thing without getting hit 3 times and failing :<

Once I got up to the two Beloveds, but then I accidentally taunted one and it beat the crap out of me. Those armoured Affinities are absolute douches too, keep screwing up my whip attacks...

That said, when I go back to muck around in normal mode it's gonna be easy as

You'll get better.

With the ardors you don't want to use the whip. They have clear audio cues before they attack and use that cue to dodge and get witch time. You can them juggle them into an infinite combo. If you are having difficulty, use Pulley's butterfly. And remember to doge offset.

Aru

Finished the game. It was great. Surprising to the end :lol
That last cutscene before returning to the title screen was funny.

Giolon

I received my copy of Eyes of Bayonetta from Kinokuniya today. Truth be told, I'm a little disappointed with this artbook. It's paperback and comes in a cardboard sleeve. Half the space in the sleeve is taken up by a box for the DVD.

Coming in at 224 pages, inside the book itself, there's a ton of concept art for Bayonetta, but it's all pretty small. To be fair, there are probably hundreds of them. The character artwork section takes up about 1/3 of the book, and Bayonetta herself takes up about half this section.

The remaining two thirds are comprised of the enemies and items in the game. Each enemy has at best a single art piece, some have none, along with their render. All of the advertising copy appears in 2nd to last section, but non are larger than 1/4 of a page.

There are also two separate fold out posters that contain the renders of all character and enemy models in the game (the same as is shown in game after the credits).

Finally, the DVD accompanying this is region encoded. Really, enterbrain? REALLY!? This isn't a fucking movie, it's a behind the scenes DVD. Fortunately, VLC takes care of that problem easily. (Anybody interested in translating this thing by the way?)

I purchase a fair number of artbooks, and this one is about average at best. A good portion of this material can be seen in the UK-published Bayonetta Strategy Guide. It's hardcover and comes with a ribbon bookmark that matches the ones worn in Bayonetta's hair. I give this a 6.5 / 10 - and this is coming from a HUUUGE Bayonetta fan.

Top Bottom