• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Samara said:
Wow, seems like my Xbox 360 hates this game. Everytime it loads it says disc error, have to restart or clean it (its a brand new disc)

I tried playing on a MU and her shoe has this weird glitch and then it crashes. At least I made it to the train station. it was fun and not hard to control; just that cutscenes are beyond horrible: Oh My God.

and how do you do the DOT or point in the move list?

Try installing the game.

Secondly, the dot just means to wait for a second before pressing the next button.

Samara said:
Wow, seems like my Xbox 360 hates this game. Everytime it loads it says disc error, have to restart or clean it (its a brand new disc)

I tried playing on a MU and her shoe has this weird glitch and then it crashes. At least I made it to the train station. it was fun and not hard to control; just that cutscenes are beyond horrible: Oh My God.

and how do you do the DOT or point in the move list?

Clear your 360's hard drive cache.

Montresor

Can anyone who has found all the
red glowing ravens
tell me milestones for which perks unlock? I'm having fun finding them and I don't want to spoil the rewards for said milestones by looking it up online, I just want to know the milestones themselves.

edit: Nevermind, the milestones are
50 and 101 umbran tears

Alx

I'm usually bad at QTE, but there are something like 4 or 5 in the game, and it's a single button press, so it's easy to remember them all after a while.

Dabanton

Love this game recently got back into it and it's a 'pure old school game' light on the surface but the depth if you dig deeper is astounding.

Some of the battles are incredibly intense it's testament to how good a game is is i'm not bored fighting any enemies.

Mar said:
Yep, that's legit. It's shown during the Eyes of Bayonetta DVD. I thought it was really interesting how primitive it was, like it was done with the Quake 1 engine or something.

early PS3 build, confirmed.

Edit - please note avatar before calling me a troll. :D

Jintor

NinjaFusion said:
Edit - please note avatar before calling me a troll. :D

Troll! :B

I was just watching some of the cinematics after bashing the crap out of Sage-face on hard mode again (jesus, he's fast). Man, the story in this is so nonsensical. So glad they know how to tell a nonsensical story and still keep me endlessly amused.

Also super glad this game has, like, the best action ever

BeeDog

Started playing the game again and have a question. Is there a(n easy) way to check which Alfheim portals I've finished?

BeeDog said:
Started playing the game again and have a question. Is there a(n easy) way to check which Alfheim portals I've finished?

Nope.:D

The closest thing you get is checking your ranking for each chapter. If you've collected every medal for that then you've beaten the Alfheims in that level.

BeeDog

Fimbulvetr said:
Nope.:D

The closest thing you get is checking your ranking for each chapter. If you've collected every medal for that then you've beaten the Alfheims in that level.

That sucks, thanks for the answer.

Ledsen

Started on Hard today, and it's so much fun :D
Only one question, is it always most effective to just spam PKP with dodge offset? It seems so simple-minded :/

C.T.

Ledsen said:
Started on Hard today, and it's so much fun :D
Only one question, is it always most effective to just spam PKP with dodge offset? It seems so simple-minded :/

for big groups I use PPP KKK with dodge offset.

I picked this up a few days ago at Best Buy since it was only $20, but I didn't start playing it until earlier today and I feel mixed about it at best. I never skip cutscenes during the first playthrough of a game, but I find them so invasive, unnecessary and annoying that I've found myself doing so. The fighting bits themselves are fine and I enjoy the dodge mechanic. It's just the incessant cutscenes, random boss fights and all the non-interactive moments in general that really annoy the fuck out of me (kill a few enemies, Bayonetta poses for the camera, cut scene, skip cut scene, new enemy comes out, enemy is introduced in mini-cutscene, kill enemy, cut-scene of me killing enemy, navigate the world a little, open door, cut-scene of another character coming out, etc).

I'm going to put some more time into it, but at this point I just don't know if I enjoy the gameplay enough to ignore everything about it that I dislike.

starchild excalibur said:
I picked this up a few days ago at Best Buy since it was only $20, but I didn't start playing it until earlier today and I feel mixed about it at best. I never skip cutscenes during the first playthrough of a game, but I find them so invasive, unnecessary and annoying that I've found myself doing so. The fighting bits themselves are fine and I enjoy the dodge mechanic. It's just the incessant cutscenes, random boss fights and all the non-interactive moments in general that really annoy the fuck out of me (kill a few enemies, Bayonetta poses for the camera, cut scene, skip cut scene, new enemy comes out, enemy is introduced in mini-cutscene, kill enemy, cut-scene of me killing enemy, navigate the world a little, open door, cut-scene of another character coming out, etc).

I'm going to put some more time into it, but at this point I just don't know if I enjoy the gameplay enough to ignore everything about it that I dislike.

What chapter are you on? There's definitely some later cutscenes you don't want to skip unless the over the topness really bothers you that much.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BeeDog said:
well, once you're IN the level, it will indicate that you've finished that when you try and enter.

cosmicblizzard said:
What chapter are you on? There's definitely some later cutscenes you don't want to skip unless the over the topness really bothers you that much.

Not sure, but I'm pretty early in. It's not really the over-the-topness that bugs me, it's just the length and frequency. Maybe it's only the case earlier in the game, but even though I've beaten a few chapters it feels like I'm doing a lot more watching and skipping than actual fighting.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Not sure, but I'm pretty early in. It's not really the over-the-topness that bugs me, it's just the length and frequency. Maybe it's only the case earlier in the game, but even though I've beaten a few chapters it feels like I'm doing a lot more watching and skipping than actual fighting.

If you don't care at all about the story (and really, you shouldn't) you can still get a lot out of the game even if you skip every cutscene. I watched them all my first time because I was compelled to experience the game in full, but since then I haven't watched a single one on my numerous subsequent playthroughs.

gdt

Just started this this morning (got it at Best Buy a bit ago), and fuck, TOO MANY CUTSCENES. The battle system is so smooth and fun, I WANT TO PLAY THAT PART.

The kinda vibe the game has going for it (stupid, "playful" sexploitation)...I don't know if I'm digging it. I know "Bayonetta is sexy! Look at her crotch! Naked!/wink wink" but...I don't, know, I'll give it some more time.

So far, I'd say I'm totally digging the battle system, but god fucking damn it fuck you cutscenes. It's the DMC syndrome where shitty "action" cutscenes take so much fucking time.

BTW, I love NG, but I don't really dig DMC. This game is definitely DMC-like (for obvious reasons), but the fighting is just the shit. I had to slog through the DMC games just because, but I want to keep going with this. Good stuff, Kamiya.

BeeDog

Rez said:
well, once you're IN the level, it will indicate that you've finished that when you try and enter.

Thanks, I managed to figure this out on my own yesterday (some strange runic lines show up on the Alfheim portal itself).

Finished the game the other day as well, great stuff. The last few boss battles were completely insane, especially the last boss :lol . The only really shitty things (aside from the technical problems in the PS3 version) were the rocket-riding and bike sequences. Overly long, and just plain bad/shitty. Oh, and a lot of the QTE's blew chunks; the time frame was often too short, and the insta-death is infuriating.

Gonna replay chapters and collect stuff for some added trophies. :D

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Protip: R2 + Select (or whatever the 360 equivalent is) will instantly skip a cutscene.

That's good to know. I started playing it some more earlier today and it grew on me a little, but I don't know if it's because I know to expect a lot of cutscenes or because the part I played just had them less frequently. I think I'm about to start chapter 4.

Jhoan

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Protip: R2 + Select (or whatever the 360 equivalent is) will instantly skip a cutscene.

Awesome man! I always have to hit start, then select the skip cutscene option. I too am going through it on Hard now and I'm collecting any Witch Hearts and Moon pearls that I missed (most of them via the Alfheim portals) and going through any Alfheim portals that I missed with the help of a FAQ. I thought the story made no sense and it was about on par with DMC 3 and NG 2 in terms of over-the-topness. It reminded me of the Power Puff Girls and Japanese anime shows like DBZ. I thought it was all right; I wasn't blown away but the combat's pretty satisfying if not more so than the NG and DMC games and boss battles are pretty cool and hectic. The only thing I hated was the unexpected QTE's which still throw me off in subsequent playthroughs and the fact that framerate slows down in certain parts e.g in Chapter 2 when doing the Windmill move.

gdt

hey_it's_that_dog said:

I don't like skipping cutscenes though. I don't think I even do that on replays.

Monocle

Fimbulvetr said:
They'd all have to have a convenient dodge button/trigger too because Dodge Offset won't work with Right-Stick dodging or DMC dodging.
In DMC, the lock-on button could double as a dodge offset button, and I'm sure other games' control schemes could accommodate the feature in a similar manner.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Get over your OCD and enjoy Bayonetta for its strengths without the rubbish. :p
Rubbish? How dare you. Where would the world be without dance offs between leather-clad witches and naughty lady-shaped angels? WHERE, I ask you?

Edit:
Mar said:
Electric Durga absolutely fucking destroys this boss. In pretty much every difficulty level all you need to do is stand still and mash the attack button. Sometimes, you have to walk somewhere else and mash the attack button.
Odette, the ice skates, can roflstomp Temperantia too. Charge your attacks for ridiculously fast flurries of Wicked Weave kicks. The first two kicks in PPPKKK are especially devastating.

goldenpp72

I enjoyed the cutscenes that weren't the weird still things, some of them could be toned down, but after a first play through I skipped em all unless I recall liking one specifically..

Monocle said:
In DMC, the lock-on button could double as a dodge offset button, and I'm sure other games' control schemes could accommodate the feature in a similar manner.

But they'd be annoying to use.

Not to mention making lock-on into dodge offset would be broken since lock-on in required for dodging regardless.

My point is that since those other dodges require you move your thumb from the attack button(s) dodge off-set wouldn't work very well.

I really don't like this game. I played the demo when it first came out, liked it enough, then when BB dropped the price I bought it. I dunno, I can't get into it. The story is awful. Is Eggman suppose to be a reference to Sonic? The graphics are nice, and the sound is good, just not fun gameplay (to me). Kind of a mix of button smashing and thought. I guess I've outgrown the whole DMC type of gameplay. I might give it another try, doubt it though.

Maybe a half an hour into the train station. I know it's the beginning but I have a short attention span, if the game doesn't grab me from the start it's hard for me to continue on.

Apesht Mcfckface said:
Maybe a half an hour into the train station. I know it's the beginning but I have a short attention span, if the game doesn't grab me from the start it's hard for me to continue on.

Fight Jeanne.

Also:
Apesht Mcfckface said:
Kind of a mix of button smashing and thought.

What?

MechaX

gdt5016 said:
Just started this this morning (got it at Best Buy a bit ago), and fuck, TOO MANY CUTSCENES. The battle system is so smooth and fun, I WANT TO PLAY THAT PART.

The kinda vibe the game has going for it (stupid, "playful" sexploitation)...I don't know if I'm digging it. I know "Bayonetta is sexy! Look at her crotch! Naked!/wink wink" but...I don't, know, I'll give it some more time.

So far, I'd say I'm totally digging the battle system, but god fucking damn it fuck you cutscenes. It's the DMC syndrome where shitty "action" cutscenes take so much fucking time.

Pretty much my thoughts of the game my first time through. To this game's credit, I wanted the cutscenes to be over with because unlike DMC, Bayonetta actually can do a lot of the cool stuff seen in the cutscenes rather fluidly. It was the first time even after playing all of the NG and DMC games that I really felt the game was snatching the controller out of my hand every time a cutscene came up. The story is pretty garbage, but it at least started to get interest later on (okay, albeit the very end of the game). I'm doing a second playthrough and I'm skipping the cutscenes without hesitation. I can see why people said that this game is addicting.

soldat7

Yeah, I'm going to finish this, but it's not going to find a place in my permanent library. After about 8 hours of this, I'm bored and disenchanted with the overall vibe.

gdt

I'm about 4 hours in now, and definitely getting the hang of everything.

Couple of notes though:

-FUCK the QTEs. They come out of NOWHERE, and always mean an automatic death. Which leads to...

-Low halo count :/. I'll never be able to buy all of that cool shit that black guy is selling.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
gdt5016 said:
-Low halo count :/. I'll never be able to buy all of that cool shit that black guy is selling.

Yeah, you will. There's a fun little exercise called halo farming, since you can select levels at will. Once you get good at the game, you can get millions from a single boss fight without even expending much effort.

goldenpp72

gdt5016 said:
I'm about 4 hours in now, and definitely getting the hang of everything.

Couple of notes though:

-FUCK the QTEs. They come out of NOWHERE, and always mean an automatic death. Which leads to...

I found the qtes annoying for an hour or 2 but the instant death ones largely end by then I think?

I just beat chapter 8.

Heh, my opinion hasn't really changed, I guess. I do like the menu music, but I dunno it just doesn't really click with me as well as even DMC1 did (I'm not a big fan of the DMC series. I only really put some time into the first). I don't know if it's because I'm playing on a standard def TV, but there are many times when I don't really know what I'm doing and find it difficult to gauge when an enemy is about to attack. I know there are aural cues as well, but sometimes there's almost too much stuff happening IMO. I didn't get this sensation even with the Ninja Gaiden titles I've played. I also find myself being apprehensive when I start attacking because some enemies counter unexpectedly and I sometimes just end up dodging when I didn't really need to.

The boss fights are okay, but I don't really see them as awesomely as I sometimes feel I'm supposed to. I think I'd prefer the game if:

-cut scenes were only at the beginning and end of the levels
-there were more enemies to fight, but weaker
-less of those get-into-witch-time-and-break-through-the-door moments

I'll probably end up beating it, but I dunno. Unfortunately I just feel like I'm missing something. It also doesn't help that I feel like I just suck at it. :lol I just keep expecting to hit a point where I start loving it and it all just clicks for me.

and god, the QTEs?
I hated the part where the lava is flowing and you have to run up that building, it starts to collapse and you hit X/Square at a certain time. I kept hitting it prematurely, apparently.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
and god, the QTEs?

Yeah the QTEs suck ass. But you can learn them. The trick is to memorize which button you have to press, because by the time it actually shows up on the screen, it's milliseconds from being too late. But if you press it too early, you fail for that too. You have to press it just as the button prompt shows up, at the end of the glowing ring's contraction. I haven't failed one since I figured that out.

Ledsen

I just beat chapter 8.

Heh, my opinion hasn't really changed, I guess. I do like the menu music, but I dunno it just doesn't really click with me as well as even DMC1 did (I'm not a big fan of the DMC series. I only really put some time into the first). I don't know if it's because I'm playing on a standard def TV, but there are many times when I don't really know what I'm doing and find it difficult to gauge when an enemy is about to attack. I know there are aural cues as well, but sometimes there's almost too much stuff happening IMO. I didn't get this sensation even with the Ninja Gaiden titles I've played. I also find myself being apprehensive when I start attacking because some enemies counter unexpectedly and I sometimes just end up dodging when I didn't really need to.

The boss fights are okay, but I don't really see them as awesomely as I sometimes feel I'm supposed to. I think I'd prefer the game if:

-cut scenes were only at the beginning and end of the levels
-there were more enemies to fight, but weaker
-less of those get-into-witch-time-and-break-through-the-door moments

I'll probably end up beating it, but I dunno. Unfortunately I just feel like I'm missing something. It also doesn't help that I feel like I just suck at it. :lol I just keep expecting to hit a point where I start loving it and it all just clicks for me.

and god, the QTEs?
I hated the part where the lava is flowing and you have to run up that building, it starts to collapse and you hit X/Square at a certain time. I kept hitting it prematurely, apparently.

Bayonetta really is 100x better when you understand and practice the fighting mechanics. For example, do you even know about dodge offset (most people who only played it once don't)? That and getting all the different weapons and accessories. There are accessories that completely change the gameplay (for example, one that introduces a counter attack mechanic if you press the stick towards the enemy at the exact moment he strikes), and the weapons are all ridiculously fun and also change up the gameplay a whole lot (the whip for example, letting you do the Scorpion "Come Here!" thing in mid-air and get crazy combos. The game starts to shine like a motherfucker on your second playthrough (preferably on hard) when you've halo farmed enough money to buy all the stuff that's available and found all the weapons. Like many people have said before in this thread, your first playthrough really is just practice mode for the real game.

Top Bottom