• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date

Curufinwe

Ledsen said:
Bayonetta really is 100x better when you understand and practice the fighting mechanics. For example, do you even know about dodge offset (most people who only played it once don't)? That and getting all the different weapons and accessories. There are accessories that completely change the gameplay (for example, one that introduces a counter attack mechanic if you press the stick towards the enemy at the exact moment he strikes), and the weapons are all ridiculously fun and also change up the gameplay a whole lot (the whip for example, letting you do the Scorpion "Come Here!" thing in mid-air and get crazy combos. The game starts to shine like a motherfucker on your second playthrough (preferably on hard) when you've halo farmed enough money to buy all the stuff that's available and found all the weapons. Like many people have said before in this thread, your first playthrough really is just practice mode for the real game.

That's why I bought this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/3869930039/

I'm sure all or almost all the info is available online, but this is easily the highest quality guide I've ever seen.

Ledsen said:
Bayonetta really is 100x better when you understand and practice the fighting mechanics. For example, do you even know about dodge offset (most people who only played it once don't)? That and getting all the different weapons and accessories. There are accessories that completely change the gameplay (for example, one that introduces a counter attack mechanic if you press the stick towards the enemy at the exact moment he strikes), and the weapons are all ridiculously fun and also change up the gameplay a whole lot (the whip for example, letting you do the Scorpion "Come Here!" thing in mid-air and get crazy combos. The game starts to shine like a motherfucker on your second playthrough (preferably on hard) when you've halo farmed enough money to buy all the stuff that's available and found all the weapons. Like many people have said before in this thread, your first playthrough really is just practice mode for the real game.

It's funny that you mention the weapons, because I didn't even know how to equip them until a couple chapters ago. :lol I kept seeing them show up at certain parts, but I thought they were just being added to the store for me to buy. Right now I have the sword and the claws, which help things out.

I'll probably go back and replay some of the earlier chapters to see if I respond differently to them now.

Jintor

Personally though I'm never gonna understand the people who can't stand the cutscenes.

First runthrough! Enjoy your nonsensical ridiculousness, because you're going to skip them in every runthrough afterwards!

The funny thing is that the cutscenes are hardly nonsensical, they're just (oftentimes) over the top. The story in the game isn't outstanding or anything, but it gets the job done.

SolidusDave said:
I like cutscenes but I'm offended by these lazy still images presented as cutscenes many times in this game.
You can tell such a decision was influenced by their budget. I don't blame them for that. Also, consider the fact that if all of those cutscenes were done in full motion, they would end up being considerably longer than they already are.

Monocle

starchild excalibur said:
It's funny that you mention the weapons, because I didn't even know how to equip them until a couple chapters ago. :lol I kept seeing them show up at certain parts, but I thought they were just being added to the store for me to buy. Right now I have the sword and the claws, which help things out.

I'll probably go back and replay some of the earlier chapters to see if I respond differently to them now.
At first, you might not like the claws when they're equipped to your hands because they're very slow in flame mode. Spin the left stick around in a full circle then press P or K (depending on where Durga is equipped) to switch between flame and electric modes. Electric Durga is ideal for hands because it's very fast. Flame Durga is best on feet, allowing you to deal enormous damage with charged kicks. (Also, Flame Durga lets you walk on lava and attack fiery enemies without taking damage.)

Monocle

Plus, the charge attack on the flame variant of Durga does some insane damage.
Yesterday, as I watched a friend struggle to beat the first Alfheim portal with Scarborough Fair (the time limit kept getting him), I was reminded how ridiculously fast those fire bombs can take out enemies. Flame Durga is easily my favorite weapon for the feet slot.

Fugu

When I read people talk of the durgas and the sword, I can't help but feel that I'm the only player who beat the game on NSIC using guns (bazillions) and ice skates.

Monocle

Fugu said:
When I read people talk of the durgas and the sword, I can't help but feel that I'm the only player who beat the game on NSIC using guns (bazillions) and ice skates.
Bazillions + Odette + Sai-Fung + NSIC = love

Mar

I fell in love with the game after the very first cut scene, and had a huge grin on my face for every one after. I think it might be the funniest game I've ever played.

Certainly, I can understand people not liking them though. It's one of those things you either really enjoy or really hate.

Jintor

SolidusDave said:
I like cutscenes but I'm offended by these lazy still images presented as cutscenes many times in this game.

Kamiya confirmed this as 'we could spend our CGI money on the awesome scenes and get awesome CGI, or we could spend it evenly spread and make everything junk'

Seriously people budgets

You can tell such a decision was influenced by their budget. I don't blame them for that. Also, consider the fact that if all of those cutscenes were done in full motion, they would end up being considerably longer than they already are.

Jintor said:
Kamiya confirmed this as 'we could spend our CGI money on the awesome scenes and get awesome CGI, or we could spend it evenly spread and make everything junk'
Seriously people budgets

I would argue that skipping the complete last dancing scene and the fancy credits would have been enough to animate every other cutscene needed :p :lol

btw. I finished the game on normal today and it's really amazing how good the combat is. I also liked it overall, but I have to say some of the checkpoints are messed up and it probably has the worst QTEs ever, I'm not kidding :lol

SolidusDave said:
I would argue that skipping the complete last dancing scene and the fancy credits would have been enough to animate every other cutscene needed :p :lol

You saying the Dancing scene is unnecessary? Are you mad?

Fimbulvetr said:
You saying the Dancing scene is unnecessary? Are you mad?

Sorry, I don't really find Bayonetta (or Jeanne) very attractive in the first place, not my type at all (but I played it anyway, I'm not shallow!).

SolidusDave said:
Sorry, I don't really find Bayonetta (or Jeanne) very attractive in the first place, not my type at all (but I played it anyway, I'm not shallow!).

I don't either.

But that dance scene is awesome.

Beat the game just a bit ago. Gonna try and replay a few more missions with a few upgrades and see what I think tomorrow.

Jintor said:
Personally though I'm never gonna understand the people who can't stand the cutscenes.

First runthrough! Enjoy your nonsensical ridiculousness, because you're going to skip them in every runthrough afterwards!

Personally I'm never gonna understand the people who can. Like I said, I normally never skip the cutscenes on any game during the first play through but the story was so throwaway, the characters so unimpressive as personalities go, the cutscenes so frequent and these cutscenes so long that by chapter 2 I just couldn't be bothered. Good God, even the epilogue dragged in parts for this same reason. I just beat the game about 20 minutes ago and am about to try and find a succinct summary of the cutscenes that I skipped at the end. I tried to watch the last ones - honestly! - but even they dragged for me. I'd rather just read what happened.

The only other game with such a disposable cast of characters in recent memory for me is Infamous. I loved the game, but like Bayonetta, the characters just added nothing. But I at least watched Infamous's cutscenes the first time through because 1) they weren't frequent and 2) they were rarely long.

I just beat the game about 20 minutes ago and am about to try and find a succinct summary of the cutscenes that I skipped at the end. I tried to watch the last ones - honestly! - but even they dragged for me. I'd rather just read what happened.

Bayonetta's dad is an asshole, Bayonetta is the chosen one(well one of two, her dad is the second), Jeanne stops being crazy, God goes crazy, God's face meets giant fist, dat ass.

Fimbulvetr said:
Bayonetta's dad is an asshole, Bayonetta is the chosen one(well one of two, her dad is the second), Jeanne stops being crazy, God goes crazy, God's face meets giant fist, dat ass.

Yeah, I just read the whole thing on Metacritic. Definitely cleared up a few holes for me, but nothing I read made me think "Damn, I shouldn't have skipped X." The story's just a means to an end in a game like this. One question though:

In the epilogue, after you turn into the hair monster (sorry, can't remember what its called) to defeat Jubileus and start flying through space towards the sun, is it possible to crash on one of the planets before reaching the sun?

Rctdaemon

Yeah, I just read the whole thing on Metacritic. Definitely cleared up a few holes for me, but nothing I read made me think "Damn, I shouldn't have skipped X." The story's just a means to an end in a game like this. One question though:

In the epilogue, after you turn into the hair monster (sorry, can't remember what its called) to defeat Jubileus and start flying through space towards the sun, is it possible to crash on one of the planets before reaching the sun?
Ugh, yes. The game counts it as a death too and you have to start from Pluto again.

Aaron

Fimbulvetr said:
Jeanne's plan didn't change from the very beginning. More than any other character, she knew what was going on, and she knew what she was doing. She only seems crazy when you don't know the whole story.

Jintor

Personally I'm never gonna understand the people who can. Like I said, I normally never skip the cutscenes on any game during the first play through but the story was so throwaway, the characters so unimpressive as personalities go, the cutscenes so frequent and these cutscenes so long that by chapter 2 I just couldn't be bothered. Good God, even the epilogue dragged in parts for this same reason. I just beat the game about 20 minutes ago and am about to try and find a succinct summary of the cutscenes that I skipped at the end. I tried to watch the last ones - honestly! - but even they dragged for me. I'd rather just read what happened.

The only other game with such a disposable cast of characters in recent memory for me is Infamous. I loved the game, but like Bayonetta, the characters just added nothing. But I at least watched Infamous's cutscenes the first time through because 1) they weren't frequent and 2) they were rarely long.

I can't really think of an appropriate metaphor, but not watching cutscenes the first time through a game feels wrong to me. The first time through, I'm always invested in the game as a story, no matter how B-grade the storyline (assuming it's a game I want to replay, of course).

Other than that I can't honestly think of these frequent long-ass cutscenes people speak of (but then again in every playthrough since I've skipped most of them). From memory, a lot of 'frequent' cutscenes are new enemy introductions, half-second flashbacks, or whatever. An exception for the prologue, of course, but it's a prologue, it's setting up the rest of the nonsensical story.

I'm also thinking a lot of what people though of as 'boring and long' I thought of as 'WOAH THAT'S PRETTY COOL', so I guess it just comes down to opinion. Personally while I kinda agree all the characters were pretty flat I still gave a damn about them. Bayonetta in particular amuses the hell out of me. I just wish there was more Rodin in the game.

remz

I really don't get why people hated the cutscenes either- I guess people were hoping it would be something it isn't. As goofy fun, it's great.

The cutscenes overstay their welcome when Bayonetta fights low tier angels, which is a lot, so basically I'm watching something I could be doing instead.

Mar said:
I fell in love with the game after the very first cut scene, and had a huge grin on my face for every one after. I think it might be the funniest game I've ever played.

Certainly, I can understand people not liking them though. It's one of those things you either really enjoy or really hate.

Same with me 100%. I've never played a game where I was smiling so much even after getting my ass kicked during my first playthrough. Game is a masterpiece.

And most of the cutscenes are badass IMO.

Dreavus

Jintor said:
I can't really think of an appropriate metaphor, but not watching cutscenes the first time through a game feels wrong to me. The first time through, I'm always invested in the game as a story, no matter how B-grade the storyline (assuming it's a game I want to replay, of course).

Other than that I can't honestly think of these frequent long-ass cutscenes people speak of (but then again in every playthrough since I've skipped most of them). From memory, a lot of 'frequent' cutscenes are new enemy introductions, half-second flashbacks, or whatever. An exception for the prologue, of course, but it's a prologue, it's setting up the rest of the nonsensical story.

I'm also thinking a lot of what people though of as 'boring and long' I thought of as 'WOAH THAT'S PRETTY COOL', so I guess it just comes down to opinion. Personally while I kinda agree all the characters were pretty flat I still gave a damn about them. Bayonetta in particular amuses the hell out of me. I just wish there was more Rodin in the game.

I actually really liked the enemy introductions (dat music!), and I sometimes rewatch them when they come up since they're so short.

There are some long cutscenes but they aren't EVERYWHERE; they're few and far between from what I can remember. I still don't understand the complaint.

Aaron said:
Jeanne's plan didn't change from the very beginning. More than any other character, she knew what was going on, and she knew what she was doing. She only seems crazy when you don't know the whole story.

But you fight her to the death multiple times... I hate that in plots, someone should tell me it's "just for fun" / training.
(also, Daddy said they brainwashed her)

Aaron said:

Crazy as in brainwashed, not crazy as in evil.

remz said:
I really don't get why people hated the cutscenes either- I guess people were hoping it would be something it isn't. As goofy fun, it's great.

I get annoyed that I have to skip them so fucking often -- they're so god damn terrible that I watched them the first time, concluded the guy was high on many drugs when he thought he wrote a coherent story, and decided that I would skip every possible cutscene from that point on given the opportunity. The other part that really sucks if having to spam R2 after skipping a cutscene because they're almost always followed by an enemy directly in your face.

Oh I forgot that I was very grateful that they allowed XMB custom music for the PS3 version, I used it for almost every fight :lol (though a bit annoying that it just keeps playing during cutscenes etc.)

sonicmj1

corrosivefrost said:
I get annoyed that I have to skip them so fucking often -- they're so god damn terrible that I watched them the first time, concluded the guy was high on many drugs when he thought he wrote a coherent story, and decided that I would skip every possible cutscene from that point on given the opportunity. The other part that really sucks if having to spam R2 after skipping a cutscene because they're almost always followed by an enemy directly in your face.

Have you tried skipping cutscenes with R2 + Select?

It's so quick, it makes the process completely painless.

Brainboy

Finally finished my first runthrough this morning. The last few cutscenes are a bit, erm, odd... Well, the whole game is pretty odd, actually. Really enjoyed it, though.

Started playing on Hard right afterwards.
I didn't realise that Hard mode was more than just the same fights with faster/stronger enemies. I was doing really well in the first fight until I had to fight Grace and Glory... Those suckers are ridiculously fast and strong! And what's the deal with the challenge-type thing soon afterwards, where you have to get three torture attacks? I don't think I'll get past all that any time soon... Maybe Hard isn't for me! :lol

Ledsen

Brainboy said:
Finally finished my first runthrough this morning. The last few cutscenes are a bit, erm, odd... Well, the whole game is pretty odd, actually. Really enjoyed it, though.

Started playing on Hard right afterwards.
I didn't realise that Hard mode was more than just the same fights with faster/stronger enemies. I was doing really well in the first fight until I had to fight Grace and Glory... Those suckers are ridiculously fast and strong! And what's the deal with the challenge-type thing soon afterwards, where you have to get three torture attacks? I don't think I'll get past all that any time soon... Maybe Hard isn't for me! :lol

For the torture attacks, try to get through the preceding sections without dying and you should have enough magic to get off at least 2 Torture Attacks instantly. If you don't then simply P-K(dodge offset)-P to get your magic gauge back up.

zero_suit said:
Anyone else think the
Father Balder
fight was ridiculously easy? It only took me one try.
I haven't even touched the Lost Chapter yet. I should really get around to that. Are his patterns the same as -- oh wait, you said Father Balder and not Father
Rodin

Well... yeah. The fight with Balder was pretty damn easy.

Jintor

It's a fucking bitch on Infinite Climax.

Kinda wish there was more variety though, he just kind of speeds up at his third phase

I haven't even touched the Lost Chapter yet. I should really get around to that. Are his patterns the same as -- oh wait, you said Father Balder and not Father
Rodin

Well... yeah. The fight with Balder was pretty damn easy.

So you haven't fought
Rodin
yet? Well for one he isn't in the lost chapter, and his patterns aren't the same.

Fimbulvetr said:
So you haven't fought
Rodin
yet? Well for one he isn't in the lost chapter, and his patterns aren't the same.
Ah, yeah. I just remembered that you have to buy the ticket to fight him. I'm unlocking everything legitimately, so sometimes it gets hard to track what I need to do because there's a shitload of stuff to unlock.

Ah, yeah. I just remembered that you have to buy the ticket to fight him. I'm unlocking everything legitimately, so sometimes it gets hard to track what I need to do because there's a shitload of stuff to unlock.

Well if you don't mind minor fight spoilers:
Rodin is way harder than Balder. They really are only similar in name and costumes. The few abilities they do share become more powerful when used by Rodin(like this meteor shower attack that Balder could use, but usually didn't; Balder's version hit's random parts of the floor you're standing on while Rodin's actually aims for you and the area around you). Rodin's standard attack has a shorter range than Balder's but is fast as hell, has a high combo rate, and does insane damage to you.

I picked the game up a couple of weeks ago when Best Buy had it for $20, and I am blown away by how good it is. The gameplay is insanely good, that can't be disputed, but I am amazed at how campy the game is. Someone at Platinum Games has some serious sugar in their gas tank. When Bayonetta started a vogue battle with her clone, I died. There are a lot of sly references in the game that a mainstream audience wouldn't pick up on. I love it.

Top Bottom