• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
corrosivefrost said:
I get annoyed that I have to skip them so fucking often -- they're so god damn terrible that I watched them the first time, concluded the guy was high on many drugs when he thought he wrote a coherent story, and decided that I would skip every possible cutscene from that point on given the opportunity. The other part that really sucks if having to spam R2 after skipping a cutscene because they're almost always followed by an enemy directly in your face.
I really hate that. I'm on Ch. 15(normal, first time through). For some reason the combat just wasn't clicking with me for the first few levels despite being relatively good at action games. I got crushed by Grace and Glory the first time. Somewhere around getting Bat within (ch. 5 or so?), I picked it up and it's been great fun since.

gdt

Any tips on completing this Alfheim challenge? It's the stay in the air for a minute one, using the bunch of floaty heads. This is hard, and the camera isn't pulled back enough for me to pick another dude to jump off :/.

Also, any tips on getting more halos? I'm barely making any, really.

Edit: heh, just got that challenge. Still need help with the halos, though.

gdt5016 said:
Any tips on completing this Alfheim challenge? It's the stay in the air for a minute one, using the bunch of floaty heads. This is hard, and the camera isn't pulled back enough for me to pick another dude to jump off :/.

It's not hard at all, use THE WHIP. You just just keep pulling yourself toward the angels and double jumping for the whole minute.

As for getting more halos: CHAPTER VII SPOILERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-erTwKbxb4Y

Make sure to keep your combo meter on 9.9 for the most profit so work quickly once you get on the body.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Finally played this game, beat it over the weekend. Enjoyed it a lot...but what the fuck kind of insanity did I just witness? I played a brief portion for a group of friends who don't play video games and they were in hysterics at how bizarre it was. Cut scenes were either hilariously brilliant entertainment or an endless mess of stupid. The dialogue deserves special mention, what a clusterfuck of nonsensical bullshit.

But whenever I was slicing through enemies like a badass I was thoroughly entertained and this game came decently close to my vision of an action game that starts with intense action and never lets up for a single second until the credits. Only the endless cut scenes and occasional pointless puzzle ruined it.

gdt

Ok, need more Alfheim help!

Now I'm on a challenge where I can only use a limited number of punches and kicks against those claw brother motherfuckers.

fuck you!

gdt5016 said:
Ok, need more Alfheim help!

Now I'm on a challenge where I can only use a limited number of punches and kicks against those claw brother motherfuckers.

fuck you!

Use your own claws on hands + feet, switch them to the fire mode, hold punch/kick every time, profit.

Alternatively, use the sword, hold punch to charge it, dodge when necessary, release, profit.

gdt

I don't have the those electro claws yet, I think :/. Maybe I missed them? Bah.

I'll just use the sword, then.

I only have the sword, whip, and standard weapons. Plus the Onyx shotguns.

C.T.

gdt5016 said:

Edit: heh, just got that challenge. Still need help with the halos, though.

You have to keep your combos going. taunts and your handgun helps with keeping it going too. The level 7 boss is good for farming halos. The accessoire gaze of despair makes the enemies more agressive (like the taunt) but they give more halos. There are countless youtube videos about farming halos.

gdt5016 said:

You can always go back when you acquire them anyway.

gdt5016 said:

You can just return to chapter 5 and find the LP pieces you're missing.

gdt

Finished Alfheim, and just got the final LP piece for those claws.

Still, don't have nearly enough Halos to buy cool shit (I've got 21,000, that's after beating some flying dragon snake thing).

gdt5016 said:
Finished Alfheim, and just got the final LP piece for those claws.

Still, don't have nearly enough Halos to buy cool shit (I've got 21,000, that's after beating some flying dragon snake thing).

All you need are the rocket launchers and you'll be halo farming in no time.

Do the level 7 Halo farming method listed at the YouTube clip above. The first time I played the level I followed those directions and I came out with 800,000+ Halos and I think that was a low payout.

gdt

Jugendstil said:
Do the level 7 Halo farming method listed at the YouTube clip above. The first time I played the level I followed those directions and I came out with 800,000+ Halos and I think that was a low payout.

Dear god...

gdt5016 said:
Dear god...

You should really concentrate on finishing your Health + Magic bars, and finding all of the weapon LPs before you get into grinding for halos. I don't think I was doing that until AFTER my 3rd completion of the game in preparation for Non-Stop Infinite Climax difficulty.

gdt

I was only able to get 80,000 halos from that boss :/.

Granted, I didn't have those two accessories at the time (I own the instant witch time one now).

Ledsen

gdt5016 said:
I was only able to get 80,000 halos from that boss :/.

Granted, I didn't have those two accessories at the time (I own the instant witch time one now).

Yeah you really need the Gaze of Despair to enrage the boss or you won't get nearly as many halos.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Protip: R2 + Select (or whatever the 360 equivalent is) will instantly skip a cutscene.

You just made my game. I hate hate hate long cutscenes before hard fights, and the default method to skip in this game is Start > down on the dpad to select "yes, I'm fucking sure" > then A to skip.

Can someone the combo system a bit to me? There are times when I feel like I'm continually comboing only to end up getting a bronze in that category at the end of the section. There are other times when I feel like my combo is always being broken and I still get a gold. I seem to get smaller combo scores when I equip the claws, but I don't know if that's because they're stronger/I'm killing the enemies faster.

I know taunting helps to link combos, but are there any other tips for getting high combo scores?

starchild excalibur said:
Can someone the combo system a bit to me? There are times when I feel like I'm continually comboing only to end up getting a bronze in that category at the end of the section. There are other times when I feel like my combo is always being broken and I still get a gold. I seem to get smaller combo scores when I equip the claws, but I don't know if that's because they're stronger/I'm killing the enemies faster.

I know taunting helps to link combos, but are there any other tips for getting high combo scores?

Well you know the basics.

You build more combo points by constantly hitting enemies and if you don't hit enemies for a certain amount of time your combo dies.

But unlike other games which only register the number of hits you land, Bayonetta gives values to your attack depending on what you hit an enemy with.

If you hit an enemy with the same type of attacks over and over the value of that attack decreases. So spamming attacks with the same weapons all the time will get you nowhere. Wicked Weaves are the exception as they always have a high value.

There are only two ways to give a higher value to your attacks:

1) Witch Time

2) Berserk Enemies(this has the effect of making them tougher and faster, and making it so that they almost never flinch; 'cept for special attacks and wicked weaves). Which you can do by taunting or equipping a certain accessory.

Taunting also stops your combo from ending.

Fimbulvetr said:
Well you know the basics.

You build more combo points by constantly hitting enemies and if you don't hit enemies for a certain amount of time your combo dies.

But unlike other games which only register the number of hits you land, Bayonetta gives values to your attack depending on what you hit an enemy with.

If you hit an enemy with the same type of attacks over and over the value of that attack decreases. So spamming attacks with the same weapons all the time will get you nowhere. Wicked Weaves are the exception as they always have a high value.

There are only two ways to give a higher value to your attacks:

1) Witch Time

2) Berserk Enemies(this has the effect of making them tougher and faster, and making it so that they almost never flinch; 'cept for special attacks and wicked weaves). Which you can do by taunting or equipping a certain accessory.

Taunting also stops your combo from ending.

Sweet, that helps out. I actually am unable to get into witch time currently because I have the accessory equipped that launches a counter instead of going into witch time when I dodge and while I have the other accessory that puts you into witch time if you're hit, i don't have it equipped. Definitely have been trying to taunt more though.

practice02 said:
I get some annoying screen tearing in the 360 version does loading it to my hard drive help?

Nope.

Okay I actually don't know, but I'm pretty sure DLing also makes a part of the game run worse.

It's way near the middle of this thread though so I don't remember.

I picked up the game Friday and finished it this morning on normal, amazing game from start to finish. This is one of those games as soon as it ended I wanted to play it over again on hard. Now I can see why this thread is still going on after all these months.

Momo

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Its primairly a single player affair... so.

StuBurns said:
Get the 360 version please. I am a big PS3 fan, I think it's a far better console, however, this is not a normal slightly sub-par port, the difference is massive and there is no online to care about.

jetsetfluken said:
If he told you the real reason for the choice (Trophies), you would laugh at him.
Actually it's not for trophies, I game on the PS3 for multiplats primarily cause I have a very amazing friend on PSN whom I adore, but she gets kindly clingly if I dont sign on ever so often, calls me on the phone to ask if I wanna play or if she can come over :lol

Even if I am playing SP she can still message me, win/win

Beat it in normal, hard, and close to beating it in climax infinite. I will beat it again to get the rest of the achievements.

My favorite game of this generation.

rezuth

practice02 said:
I get some annoying screen tearing in the 360 version does loading it to my hard drive help?
It helped me a lot, the only screen tearing I get is on the second or third chapter. There seem to be some odd slowdowns for no reason.

Ledsen

Holy shit just got my Future Press Limited Edition Guide... this thing is so fucking sexy it makes me want to play Bayonetta and only Bayonetta for the next 10 years, until I master everything this masterpiece has to teach me. 400+ pages of exquisitely layouted, tightly packed information (there's SO MUCH TEXT) about every little tiny detail you would ever need, and more than a few you didn't even know you needed until you read this book. I feel compelled to write a thank you-letter to Future Press, because this is one of the most awesome things I've seen in my entire life. So. Fucking. Awesome.

Just look at this shit (not my pictures)

35n10te.jpg

dh33bp.jpg

4jq9sh.jpg

2expjt1.jpg

2igcd4j.jpg

65nzw1.jpg

2ronzuu.jpg

Jintor

I have that guide, and that thing is like the best game guide i've ever seen in the history of man.

360 version is the better version (empirically, guys!), yeah.

gogogow

I have both and obviously the 360 version is superior, but the PS3 version is surprisingly very playable. The most obvious difference is the framerate and textures, the PS3 version runs most of the time at 30fps (and under) and the colours are muted and is missing some effects, which you won't notice when not running side by side. The install takes forever though.

any tips on best strategies for taking out grace and glories? I am on Ch6 or 7 and have to take on 2, then another 2, and it is damn tough...

I am playing on normal

Jintor

Try the shotguns with their hold fire blasts, since G+G deflect Scarburough Fair's bullets, and use PKP for quick wicked weaves. G+G's attack patterns are easy enough to trigger witch time off in Normal, so use that to your advantage for more complicated combos like PPPKKK.K or a launcher. Careful if they're down, because when they attack as they rise.

C.T.

Always-honest said:
Is it safe to buy the game on the 360? what's the best version?

The 360 version is the best. Its the pattform it was developed on by platinum games. The patched ps3 version is still playable though.

LowParry

Momo said:
Actually it's not for trophies, I game on the PS3 for multiplats primarily cause I have a very amazing friend on PSN whom I adore, but she gets kindly clingly if I dont sign on ever so often, calls me on the phone to ask if I wanna play or if she can come over :lol

Even if I am playing SP she can still message me, win/win

That sounds........extremely unhealthy.

That guide looks rather impressive though.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I went out on a limb and bought Bayonetta after a price drop and some recommendations from here. I'm having some trouble though. So far the game feels like a button masher to me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I feel like the combos I'm trying to input are hit and miss. I finally turned the game off after dying in the same spot (I'm riding on an airplane and it crashes into a building) 4 times. I'm guessing I'm supposed to pull off 3 torture attacks but the attack patterns I'm using aren't effective enough. Anybody have some advice?

MadOdorMachine said:
I went out on a limb and bought Bayonetta after a price drop and some recommendations from here. I'm having some trouble though. So far the game feels like a button masher to me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I feel like the combos I'm trying to input are hit and miss. I finally turned the game off after dying in the same spot (I'm riding on an airplane and it crashes into a building) 4 times. I'm guessing I'm supposed to pull off 3 torture attacks but the attack patterns I'm using aren't effective enough. Anybody have some advice?

That cutscene where the plane suddenly flies into a building when witch time runs out is unintentionally hilarious.

That early on in the game in normal mode all you need to do is like the punch x5 combo until you have enough magic to use a TA.

There are some good Bayo guides you can find at gamefaqs or just search around youtube for more footage than you'll ever want to watch.

Ledsen

MadOdorMachine said:

Of course it's going to feel like a button masher (which it's not, very very far from it) until you learn the system. To quickly build up magic to be able to do torture attacks, you can for example do a quick combo that ends in a Wicked Weave (big purple limb) because they build magic fast. A good one i P,K,P. You should dodge offset it (hold a button in the combo while dodging, in this combo K is the best to dodge offset, then continue the combo after the dodge) so that you don't get hit out of the middle of it. You may not need to be so fancy on normal mode though, but it's good to practice until you start playing The Real Game™ (Hard and Non-Stop Climax difficulties :) where you will have to learn the combat system and appreciate its myriad of nuances.

Curufinwe

In the guide in the Jump Canceling section, it says the best way to practice is using the Training mode in Vestibule where you have an angel to use as a punching bag.

But I can only get to that version of Training by starting a new game and playing thru the opening sequence. If I load my saved game and select the Vestibule, the Training section doesn't appear before you fight the angels, even if you have Training mode set to ON in the Options menu.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Curufinwe said:
In the guide in the Jump Canceling section, it says the best way to practice is using the Training mode in Vestibule where you have an angel to use as a punching bag.

But I can only get to that version of Training by starting a new game and playing thru the opening sequence. If I load my saved game and select the Vestibule, the Training section doesn't appear before you fight the angels, even if you have Training mode set to ON in the Options menu.

On the 360 version, if you hit the back button during a loading screen, it'll dump you into training mode. You don't get an additional angel to beat up, but you can practice moves there as long as you'd like.

Curufinwe

Yeah, I can get into Training mode by pressing Back. But I was hoping there was a way to get the Vestibule Training mode that gives you an angel to practice with that didn't involve starting a new game and mashing the buttons for five minutes to get thru the opening sequence.

Oh well. I should wait till I've unlocked hard mode anyway, since the angel punching bag won't explode so quickly there.

Ledsen

Curufinwe said:
Yeah, I can get into Training mode by pressing Back. But I was hoping there was a way to get the Vestibule Training mode that gives you an angel to practice with that didn't involve starting a new game and mashing the buttons for five minutes to get thru the opening sequence.

Oh well. I should wait till I've unlocked hard mode anyway, since the angel punching bag won't explode so quickly there.

Yeah I had the same experience, even if tutorial is set to "on" in the menu the tutorial only appears on a new game.

Curufinwe

Would lowering the Output settings on my 360 from 1080p to 720p reduce the amount of tearing? It seemed to happen an awful lot on level 2, although I only noticed it out of combat.

Curufinwe said:
Would lowering the Output settings on my 360 from 1080p to 720p reduce the amount of tearing? It seemed to happen an awful lot on level 2, although I only noticed it out of combat.

Chapt 2 has the most performance problems in the entire game, despite being the most uninteresting area.

rezuth

Curufinwe said:
I think installing would help more but you can always try. I played it installed on my hd with 720p and it only teared on that second stage for like 3 mins. Nothing besides that that I can recall.

Top Bottom